Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*  (Read 301471 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*
« Reply #1855 on: December 30, 2014, 10:34:29 AM »
I just want to reiterate:  "Pelvic sorcery."  :rollin :rollin :rollin
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1856 on: December 30, 2014, 11:44:52 AM »
Yeah, that was a great line.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1857 on: January 06, 2015, 02:47:24 PM »
First poster for Ant-Man.

First teaser trailer debuts during first episode of Agent Carter tonight.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1858 on: January 06, 2015, 02:48:11 PM »
Agent Carter.  :caffeine:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1859 on: January 06, 2015, 02:51:24 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1860 on: January 06, 2015, 03:14:44 PM »
Thanks for the reminder.  TO THE DVR!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1861 on: January 06, 2015, 03:48:44 PM »
I'll be curious to see the ratings for this episode of Agent Carter and the next one, just to see how many tuned in just for Ant-Man.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1862 on: January 06, 2015, 03:51:43 PM »
Funny reading your post Jimmy in this day and age of the internet when it will be up right after it's on TV.

These times are a changin'.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1863 on: January 06, 2015, 03:54:18 PM »
Yeah I know a lot of people will probably wait, but out of the big fanboys, they will probably tune in, just to see the trailer an hour before it goes online, or 30 mins, or whatever.  :P

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1864 on: January 06, 2015, 04:01:33 PM »
No, I'm not razzing you, I was thinking about how it affects rating now that things get put on the internet so fast.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1865 on: January 07, 2015, 06:02:16 AM »
I doubt many people watched it just for Ant-Man.

The Ant-Man teaser was actually pretty cool.  But I LOVED the first episode (actually first 2 episodes) of Agent Carter.  Very nice.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1866 on: January 07, 2015, 06:16:01 AM »
The Ant-Man trailer looked good. And I'm happy Paul Rudd gets this chance. IMO he's been one of the more likable actors over the last 10 years, but at least to me, it seems he rarely gets the opportunity to shine. He's either the friend of the main character, or it's a movie like "I Love You Man" where he is one of the two main guys. With Ant-Man it kinda feels like he's getting a break, and gets to be front and center and get some more attention. I've been a fan of him for years, and it's nice to see him get a bigger role.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1867 on: January 07, 2015, 08:20:25 AM »
The Ant-Man trailer looked good. And I'm happy Paul Rudd gets this chance. IMO he's been one of the more likable actors over the last 10 years, but at least to me, it seems he rarely gets the opportunity to shine. He's either the friend of the main character, or it's a movie like "I Love You Man" where he is one of the two main guys. With Ant-Man it kinda feels like he's getting a break, and gets to be front and center and get some more attention. I've been a fan of him for years, and it's nice to see him get a bigger role.
Agree 100%  :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1868 on: January 07, 2015, 08:47:46 AM »
I LOVED the first episode (actually first 2 episodes) of Agent Carter.  Very nice.

I thought it was pretty good too, but I will have to watch again.  I was exhausted and I am sure I missed a lot.  And I am a bit confused about the timeline as well.  This appears to take place slightly BEFORE the Agent Carter One-Shot, right?  I was under the impression it would take place just after, but that does not seem to be the case.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1869 on: January 07, 2015, 08:59:13 AM »
I believe it is before the one-shot.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1870 on: January 07, 2015, 09:06:16 AM »
The Ant-Man trailer was neat. Nothing really great, but I believe I won't be fully on board with this project until I see the movie and see how good or bad it is for myself.

Haven't seen the 'Agent Carter' episodes yet, I'll probably get to it tonight.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1871 on: January 07, 2015, 10:02:02 AM »
The intro to the first episode really just reminds me of how the end of the first Captain America movie made absolutely no sense.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1872 on: January 07, 2015, 10:20:38 AM »
The intro to the first episode really just reminds me of how the end of the first Captain America movie made absolutely no sense.
???

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1873 on: January 07, 2015, 10:47:50 AM »
Firstly, the plane crash. When he pushes the levers forward to crash I'm just screaming internally 'YOU HAVE CONTROL OF THE PLANE? AND YOU SOMEHOW DECIDE THAT YOUR ONLY OPTION IN THE WORLD IS TO CRASH IT IN THE ICE?'.

Also, they sent people to random places at the bottom of the sea for god knows how long to locate the tesseract but not one damn helicopter or something to find a huge ass plane and discover that Captain America actually survived? Not even to retrieve the body for a funeral, or to harvest some of the Hydra-tech on the plane? EVERYONE just decided 'nope, no need to go and look, he definetely died, even after all the amazing things we've seen him do'.

Of course it's so that he could be frozen for 70 years and be in the Avengers, and I'm okay with that. Just can't help but notice that none of it is logical.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1874 on: January 07, 2015, 11:12:48 AM »
Firstly, the plane crash. When he pushes the levers forward to crash I'm just screaming internally 'YOU HAVE CONTROL OF THE PLANE? AND YOU SOMEHOW DECIDE THAT YOUR ONLY OPTION IN THE WORLD IS TO CRASH IT IN THE ICE?'.
He didn't see a way to land it safely without a risk of those WMDs going off.  So he ditched it as far away as he could go.  I don't see a problem.

Also, they sent people to random places at the bottom of the sea for god knows how long to locate the tesseract but not one damn helicopter or something to find a huge ass plane and discover that Captain America actually survived? Not even to retrieve the body for a funeral, or to harvest some of the Hydra-tech on the plane? EVERYONE just decided 'nope, no need to go and look, he definetely died, even after all the amazing things we've seen him do'.
I don't know that they sent "people" to "random" places.  I remember Howard Stark searching for the Tesseract, which departed the plane well before the crash landing.  They were probably able to narrow down a search area based on telemetry and direction and all that technical mumbo-jumbo.  So it wasn't where the plane was, and might not have been anywhere NEAR where it was. 

And they just didn't find it.  It happens.  Not far-fetched at all, especially for a superhero film.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1875 on: January 07, 2015, 11:15:08 AM »
I think I remember reading somewhere that we are STILL looking for a real plane somewhere near Asia or Australia or something.  I could be misremembering...

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1876 on: January 07, 2015, 11:28:41 AM »
A tv-show about Captain America's boring girlfriend, taking place in the long dull time spawn between First Avenger and the modern movies? With Agent's of SHIELD I can sort of see the appeal since it takes place now, and will (to some extent) connect with the current events of the movies, but with Agent Carter I don't see the appeal. Unless you got tons and tons of free time and you need to absorb anything Marvel.

No offense to anyone watching the show, it might be great

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1877 on: January 07, 2015, 11:53:01 AM »
He didn't see a way to land it safely without a risk of those WMDs going off.  So he ditched it as far away as he could go.  I don't see a problem.

I'm not saying going to an airport and just landing it would be his best option, I just think that it would be logical to think things over a bit longer without immediately killing yourself. A better solution would not be hard to find for these guys. He even since 'if I wait any longer a lot of people are going to die', to which I say 'hell no, you could fly this thing in circles out in the middle of nowhere until there's a plan or something.

They were probably able to narrow down a search area based on telemetry and direction and all that technical mumbo-jumbo.

I'm just thinking they could have used this in the search for the plane too. He never steered the plane to the sides or anything, he just forced it straight down. So the plane, even if it's far from the tesseract, should still be in the same path.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1878 on: January 07, 2015, 12:29:38 PM »
I'm not saying going to an airport and just landing it would be his best option, I just think that it would be logical to think things over a bit longer without immediately killing yourself. A better solution would not be hard to find for these guys. He even since 'if I wait any longer a lot of people are going to die', to which I say 'hell no, you could fly this thing in circles out in the middle of nowhere until there's a plan or something.
Like what?  It was the 40's, there was no SHIELD.  The most advanced technology on the planet was in the plane with him.  He didn't see a viable, safe alternative, so he took one for the team.

He never steered the plane to the sides or anything, he just forced it straight down. So the plane, even if it's far from the tesseract, should still be in the same path.
Maybe.  I dunno.  But in every war, people are listed as missing, presumed dead.  It's no stretch to think the same thing happened here.

If it's a problem for you, then it's a problem for you.  But I don't see it as a problem, and neither do most fans.  Not sure what to tell you.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1879 on: January 07, 2015, 12:34:40 PM »
A tv-show about Captain America's boring girlfriend, taking place in the long dull time spawn between First Avenger and the modern movies? With Agent's of SHIELD I can sort of see the appeal since it takes place now, and will (to some extent) connect with the current events of the movies, but with Agent Carter I don't see the appeal. Unless you got tons and tons of free time and you need to absorb anything Marvel.

No offense to anyone watching the show, it might be great

Well, I think of it kind of like the comics (although I haven't read comics in YEARS now, but still).  Let's say that at any given time, Marvel has 30 active titles.  You might be actively into, let's say, 5 of those.  But you like the characters in those a lot, and there are crossovers into issues with other characters, such that if you read the crossovers, you get a lot of really cool relevant background information and story about the 5 titles you are most into.  So now you are into 10 titles, total--5 because you actively like them, and 5 because they fill in relevant information to the 5 you actively want to follow.  It works similarly with the Marvel Movie/TV universe.  Howard Stark and Peggy Carter are actually pretty important foundational characters for the present-day Marvel Universe.  And Jarvis is pretty important as well.  So I think it makes sense for a limited series focusing on those characters.  It provides a more rich, developed backstory for a lot of related Marvel outlets, such as the films.

And as for Agents of SHIELD, while it functioned primarily as a spinoff of the films during season 1, season 2 made it an independent entity on equal footing with the films, IMO.  It is now VERY connected with the films and is setting up a lot of what will happen in the films for the next few years. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1880 on: January 07, 2015, 12:42:50 PM »
It was the 40's, there was no SHIELD.  The most advanced technology on the planet was in the plane with him.
This so much. Not sure why it's hard to believe that they couldn't find a single crashed plane in the 40s.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1881 on: January 07, 2015, 12:44:44 PM »
So I think it makes sense for a limited series focusing on those characters.  It provides a more rich, developed backstory for a lot of related Marvel outlets, such as the films.
And this as well. :tup

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1882 on: January 07, 2015, 01:30:59 PM »
It was the 40's, there was no SHIELD.  The most advanced technology on the planet was in the plane with him.
This so much. Not sure why it's hard to believe that they couldn't find a single crashed plane in the 40s.

Because they also want us to believe that they found a cube small enough to hold in your hand, at the bottom of the ocean. And the plane was on the surface, and as large as a skyscraper.

Like I said though, I'm okay with it for the sake of setting up future stories, and I still enjoy the movie. So it's not so much of a problem that it ruins the whole thing.

EDIT: I feel this needs revisiting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruMO9SXto0Q
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 01:37:59 PM by BlackInk »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1883 on: January 07, 2015, 01:34:52 PM »
Because they also want us to believe that they found a cube small enough to hold in your hand, at the bottom of the ocean.

Yes, but a cube that emits a unique and very powerful energy signature, which can be tracked.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1884 on: January 07, 2015, 01:37:56 PM »
Because they also want us to believe that they found a cube small enough to hold in your hand, at the bottom of the ocean.

Yes, but a cube that emits a unique and very powerful energy signature, which can be tracked.

That they had also been looking for for 60+ years
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1885 on: January 07, 2015, 01:45:49 PM »
But the plane was full of stuff powered by the same sort of power, including several giant nukes.

Am I seriously the only one who finds the ending even a little bit illogical?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1886 on: January 07, 2015, 01:49:14 PM »
Apparently so.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1887 on: January 07, 2015, 01:50:37 PM »
But the plane was full of stuff powered by the same sort of power, including several giant nukes.

Am I seriously the only one who finds the ending even a little bit illogical?

Well, there's a difference between a power source and a ton of weapons that use its power. The tesseract will obviously shine brighter. The other weapons might have lost it, I don't know.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1888 on: January 07, 2015, 02:22:41 PM »
Marvel stuff keeps happening:  The Daredevil series on Netflix will hit on April 10.  Here's the poster.  Pretty cool.  :metal

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 08:36:31 AM by hefdaddy42 »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1889 on: January 07, 2015, 02:30:25 PM »
Schweet. No idea if any UK channel is going to pick it up, though I guess Netflix UK might. Nobody has picked up Agent Carter here so I'm having to find other means to watch it. :(

I be am boner inducing.