Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*  (Read 296705 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*
« Reply #1785 on: December 15, 2014, 11:16:06 AM »
So why make a change that you don't have to?  Especially if it is one that will be visually different for the built-in audience from a visual medium (comics)?  I can't think of a really good reason to make such a change.

Well, there is a good reason to change the race of a character: so that the movie will be more diverse than it would otherwise.  Put another way, here's the list of pros for making Nick Fury black:

- The Avengers are now not as pitch white as they would have been
- Samuel L Jackson

Here is the list of cons:

-

Note that the list of cons would be different if we were talking about Cap, Thor, Iron Man, or Black Widow (it doesn't make a huge amount of sense for these characters to be black, and that would arguably make the movies worse).

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1786 on: December 15, 2014, 11:37:27 AM »
But it WOULD be awesomely funny if they made Black Widow black.

I'm not too sure why anyone gives a fuck. Then again people care about the most inane things cause...y'know...CONVERSATIONS AND SHIT.

So trite. It's all so

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1787 on: December 15, 2014, 12:49:30 PM »
So why make a change that you don't have to?  Especially if it is one that will be visually different for the built-in audience from a visual medium (comics)?  I can't think of a really good reason to make such a change.

Well, there is a good reason to change the race of a character: so that the movie will be more diverse than it would otherwise.  Put another way, here's the list of pros for making Nick Fury black:

- The Avengers are now not as pitch white as they would have been
- Samuel L Jackson

Here is the list of cons:

-

Note that the list of cons would be different if we were talking about Cap, Thor, Iron Man, or Black Widow (it doesn't make a huge amount of sense for these characters to be black, and that would arguably make the movies worse).
I don't understand why making a movie more diverse is necessarily a good reason.  That just means that there is no good narrative reason to do so.  "Hey, we don't have enough [insert ethnicity here] in this superhero movie!"  "No problem, just change one of them."

But Nick Fury isn't a good example.  The film version is based on a version of him from the comics who is, in fact, black, and whose look was based on Samuel L. Jackson.  And I wouldn't really expect any film from the MCU to make such changes.  They take the comics very seriously, as they should.  If they wanted to have a character of a different ethnicity/gender, they wouldn't change a character, they would just use a character of that ethnicity/gender in the first place. 

And frankly, I don't for one minute think that FOX studios is changing the race of Johnny Storm for anything so selfless and altruistic as "increasing diversity."
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1788 on: December 15, 2014, 01:06:25 PM »
The only real answer to why they would change the ethnicity of a character, or put in a character of a different ethnicity is spelled M-O-N-E-Y. If you manage to get some diversity in the cast, you will appeal more to some of the foreign markets and more people will be interested in seeing your movie. The sad reality is that a lot of people just don't care unless the movie has someone of their own ethnicity represented. I know several people who won't watch asian movies because of very silly reasons like "there's no white actor in the movie". It's so dumb, but it's the reality.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #1789 on: December 15, 2014, 01:39:53 PM »
I don't understand why making a movie more diverse is necessarily a good reason.

If you don't think diversity is a good thing in movies, then this conversation isn't for you, because any conversation surrounding the races of the characters in the MCU is going to center around it.

That just means that there is no good narrative reason to do so.  "Hey, we don't have enough [insert ethnicity here] in this superhero movie!"  "No problem, just change one of them."

Well, yes, that is probably how the conversation went.  I don't know why you think it's a bad thing to increase diversity by changing the race of a character, but it's a perfectly valid choice to make.  It doesn't matter that Nick Fury is white -- that is his character doesn't center around his whiteness in any way -- so you can make him black, no harm done.  This is not the case for every Marvel character.  Depictions of comic book characters are really fluid throughout time anyway; it's hard to say "Spiderman is X" or "Batman is X" since there have been so many depictions of Spiderman and Batman throughout time.  As long as you don't strip away the essential qualities of the character (race is often not one of these), it doesn't matter if you change up other things.

But Nick Fury isn't a good example.  The film version is based on a version of him from the comics who is, in fact, black, and whose look was based on Samuel L. Jackson.  And I wouldn't really expect any film from the MCU to make such changes.  They take the comics very seriously, as they should.  If they wanted to have a character of a different ethnicity/gender, they wouldn't change a character, they would just use a character of that ethnicity/gender in the first place.

Sure, but again, the race/gender of characters is often not treated as sacred by Marvel comics. 

EDIT:  Put another way, Nick Fury was white until recently, when the comics changed him to be black.  This is, in a way, the entire point of the Ultimate Universe: to reimagine Marvel characters.  Why are reimaginings okay to you in the comics, but you don't like it if the movies take some creative liberties outside of what's been done in the comics?

And frankly, I don't for one minute think that FOX studios is changing the race of Johnny Storm for anything so selfless and altruistic as "increasing diversity."

You misunderstand me if you think I'm touting Marvel as some champion of social justice.  Companies respond to what people want, and Marvel and DC have gotten a lot of flack for releasing a bunch of movies centering mainly around white men.  They are afraid that this is going to have an impact on their bottom line and think that adding more diversity to their lineups will deflect criticisms of discrimination.  That's a damn good reason to include minorities in movies if I've ever heard one.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 01:54:55 PM by theseoafs »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1790 on: December 15, 2014, 01:57:50 PM »
I don't know why you think it's a bad thing to increase diversity by changing the race of a character, but it's a perfectly valid choice to make. 
Why?

And again, I'm not talking about there being a black (or whatever) character in the first place.  And I'm also not talking about Marvel Comics changing ANYTHING about one of their comic characters (whether it is a black Nick Fury or a female Thor - although in both of those cases, neither one changed from one to another, these are essentially different individuals).  Those are their characters, and they can do what they want with them.

I'm talking about making such a change when adapting a character from one medium (in this case, comic books) to another (in this case, film), especially when the source medium is inherently visual, so the look of the character is a key element.  If you are of the opinion that the way a character looks in a medium such as comics is not a key element, then you and I are having different conversations.

And while I've seen Marvel take a little heat for not yet having a film starring a woman, I haven't seen race mentioned in their respect at all.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1791 on: December 15, 2014, 02:02:59 PM »
I'd love to see DC put out a Batgirl movie. She kicks a ton of butt I tell ya h'whut.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1792 on: December 15, 2014, 02:03:22 PM »
Part of the problem, though, is that there really aren't many big name comic characters who aren't white males. I completely agree with your view that a better thing to do is create more characters from minority groups, be that race, gender, or whatever. If you're creating original material then that's easy enough. If you're basing it on something that already exists and where diversity hasn't historically been strong, then I can understand why you would make changes like that.

And while in one individual film there is not necessarily any benefit to increased diversity (in artistic terms), encouraging more diversity in cinema generally is a very worthwhile thing in my opinion. Plus, as others have pointed out, it's probably good financially as it widens the audience.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #1793 on: December 15, 2014, 02:24:19 PM »
I don't know that much about the "Ultimate Universe," but I thought the first time we saw the "new" Nick Fury was in the Hulk and Iron Man movies.

The original (white) Nick Fury was a sgt. in the U.S. Army during W.W.II., and leader of a unit called the "Howling Commandos." There was a black man in the unit, named Gabriel Jones, and race was occasionally an issue. If Fury HIMSELF had not been white, I think it would have changed the whole dynamic of that situation. I'm not even sure they (the U.S. Army) would have allowed a non-white officer or NCO to lead a commando unit during that period of time. Especially if most of the other soldiers in the unit were white.

Anyway, as I'm sure many of you already know, after the war Fury was drafted/recruited to head up what was at the time a new government agency called S.H.I.E.L.D.
Somewhere along the way, he started taking this thing called the "Infinity Formula," which kept him from aging beyond around 40 or so.

Beyond that, I have no idea what happened to the original character, or what-if any-explanation or "back-story" there is/was for the new version.

But I WILL tell you THIS much: I would rather see him portrayed by Samuel Jackson over David Hasselhoff at any time!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1794 on: December 15, 2014, 02:26:09 PM »
But think about this.

Liam Neeson as Nick Fury  :O

Samuel Jackson is fine by me though, I think he does the role justice and more.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 02:37:34 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1795 on: December 15, 2014, 02:28:52 PM »
Part of the problem, though, is that there really aren't many big name comic characters who aren't white males. I completely agree with your view that a better thing to do is create more characters from minority groups, be that race, gender, or whatever. If you're creating original material then that's easy enough. If you're basing it on something that already exists and where diversity hasn't historically been strong, then I can understand why you would make changes like that.

And while in one individual film there is not necessarily any benefit to increased diversity (in artistic terms), encouraging more diversity in cinema generally is a very worthwhile thing in my opinion. Plus, as others have pointed out, it's probably good financially as it widens the audience.
There are lots of ethnic characters and female characters in Marvel Comics.  And many have received their own comics over the years.  Some have been successful, and some haven't.

The MCU has featured several black characters in prominent roles already in film (War Machine/Iron Patriot, Falcon) a starring role is on the way (Black Panther), and another, Luke Cage, will be getting his own Netflix show.

I am all for diversity, but there are already diverse characters.  And I already had no confidence in Fox, because unlike Marvel, their focus has never been on telling the best stories.  If changing Johnny Storm to a young black male was the only change they were making to the Fantastic Four, that might be one thing, but it isn't.  This will apparently not be a faithful adaptation whatsoever.  So I guess I shouldn't be shocked that they would make this kind of pointless change, amongst the other pointless changes they are making.

And again, this has nothing to do with Nick Fury.  Separate situation.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1796 on: December 15, 2014, 02:41:40 PM »
There are lots of ethnic characters and female characters in Marvel Comics.  And many have received their own comics over the years.  Some have been successful, and some haven't.
Oh I know, I said big name characters. For sure they can give more prominent roles to other ethnic characters as well.

I am all for diversity, but there are already diverse characters.  And I already had no confidence in Fox, because unlike Marvel, their focus has never been on telling the best stories.  If changing Johnny Storm to a young black male was the only change they were making to the Fantastic Four, that might be one thing, but it isn't.  This will apparently not be a faithful adaptation whatsoever.  So I guess I shouldn't be shocked that they would make this kind of pointless change, amongst the other pointless changes they are making.

And again, this has nothing to do with Nick Fury.  Separate situation.
Good point. I'm not saying characters should change gender or ethnicity willy-nilly, and for sure Fox is probably less reliable at that sort of thing. Just explaining why I have nothing in principle against those sorts of changes (within reason) as long as the storytelling is good and the characters make sense.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #1797 on: December 15, 2014, 06:37:01 PM »
I'm talking about making such a change when adapting a character from one medium (in this case, comic books) to another (in this case, film), especially when the source medium is inherently visual, so the look of the character is a key element.  If you are of the opinion that the way a character looks in a medium such as comics is not a key element, then you and I are having different conversations.

As I see it there are a two distinct elements at play here.

1) First of all, as I've already mentioned, comic books tend not to be overly restrictive or to have too much ownership about character races/appearances anyway.  Characters are often reimagined either intentionally (e.g. the Nick Fury -> Samuel L. Jackson transformation) or subconsciously (the characters are drawn by many artists over the course of their publication histories, all of whom have different styles or ideas about how these characters look or ought to look).  If Iron Man always looked exactly the same in every single issue of every single series since the beginning of time, and the community surrounding comics were proud of this rigid, static, constant idea of character identity, that would be a different thing, and then I would be more concerned with these film adaptations that were trying to change characters fundamentally.  However, this is not that community, and for decades, there have always been these reimaginings and reformulations of the same stories. 

Movie adaptations play into this.  Marvel movies are a somewhat newer thing, but if you cross over into Batman-land, you'll see that there are a lot of takes on Batman.  You've got the campy Batman from the old TV show, the series of movies in the 80's and 90's that all sat in different places on the dark<---->campy continuum, and the recent Nolan trilogy that was pretty firmly rooted in a dark, gritty realism and plays on a lot of modern issues (terrorism, violence in American cities, and so on and so forth).  Wildly different movies, wildly different aesthetics, wildly different scripts/themes, and you've got a few different actors with wildly different appearances to boot, and yet all of these Batmen are still Batman.  They're all just differing takes on Batman, and we've always had the idea that comics are a place where it's okay to have different takes on what is still fundamentally the same character.  This gives me no reason to believe that anyone in the world should be offended by casting a black actor in the role of a superhero who's been traditionally white (as long as, again, the casting doesn't make the movie nonsensical).

2) There's also a discussion to be had about how faithful a movie adaptation really needs to be to the comics anyway.  Comic book movies tend to draw from a particular storyline in a particular series, may recreate famous scenes from particular issues, and will tend to draw from the comics for guidance regarding major plot points, but to my knowledge -- and correct me if I'm wrong -- no comic book movie has been a shot-for-shot remake of any series of comics, nor do comic book movies in general try to mimic the tone or visual style of any particular series.  The race of your characters seems like a weird thing to latch onto in this regard; if we're going to complain about the visual incongruity between the movies and the comics made by casting someone black, it seems like there's a hell of a lot of stuff you should be complaining about before that, like the fact that everything looks totally different and all the dialogue is made up.  To skip over all of that and focus on race seems disingenuous, especially when -- as we all agree -- it doesn't really matter whether most Marvel characters are black or white.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1798 on: December 16, 2014, 07:10:13 AM »
1) First of all, as I've already mentioned, comic books tend not to be overly restrictive or to have too much ownership about character races/appearances anyway.  Characters are often reimagined either intentionally (e.g. the Nick Fury -> Samuel L. Jackson transformation) or subconsciously (the characters are drawn by many artists over the course of their publication histories, all of whom have different styles or ideas about how these characters look or ought to look).  If Iron Man always looked exactly the same in every single issue of every single series since the beginning of time, and the community surrounding comics were proud of this rigid, static, constant idea of character identity, that would be a different thing, and then I would be more concerned with these film adaptations that were trying to change characters fundamentally.  However, this is not that community, and for decades, there have always been these reimaginings and reformulations of the same stories. 
You are conflating multiple things.  The differences in the look of Iron Man are due to the differences in the way that different artists draw, and different suits of armor created by the character.  Tony Stark has always been a white man with dark hair and a mustache.  The character has always been the character.  His hairstyle may have been drawn various ways over the year allowing for different trends/what looks cool/different artists, but you can always look at Iron Man or Tony Stark and say "That's Iron Man" or "That's Tony Stark."

Movie adaptations play into this.  Marvel movies are a somewhat newer thing, but if you cross over into Batman-land, you'll see that there are a lot of takes on Batman.  You've got the campy Batman from the old TV show, the series of movies in the 80's and 90's that all sat in different places on the dark<---->campy continuum, and the recent Nolan trilogy that was pretty firmly rooted in a dark, gritty realism and plays on a lot of modern issues (terrorism, violence in American cities, and so on and so forth).  Wildly different movies, wildly different aesthetics, wildly different scripts/themes, and you've got a few different actors with wildly different appearances to boot, and yet all of these Batmen are still Batman.  They're all just differing takes on Batman, and we've always had the idea that comics are a place where it's okay to have different takes on what is still fundamentally the same character.  This gives me no reason to believe that anyone in the world should be offended by casting a black actor in the role of a superhero who's been traditionally white (as long as, again, the casting doesn't make the movie nonsensical).
And no matter what new take was taken on the mythos, Bruce Wayne was always a rich white man whose parents were murdered in front of him as a boy, and whose motivations (and neuroses) grew from that.

Comic book movies tend to draw from a particular storyline in a particular series, may recreate famous scenes from particular issues, and will tend to draw from the comics for guidance regarding major plot points, but to my knowledge -- and correct me if I'm wrong -- no comic book movie has been a shot-for-shot remake of any series of comics, nor do comic book movies in general try to mimic the tone or visual style of any particular series. 
Depends.  Frank Miller's take on Batman definitely had an impact on the tone of Burton's Batman films, and his story Batman:Year One reads like the script for Nolan's Batman Begins.  And the Sin City films really are almost panel-for-panel reproductions from the comic page.

But there are always changes made when adapting stories from one medium to another.  Doesn't matter if it is going from a novel to the screen, or the comic page to the screen.  Different things work in some mediums that don't in others.  Whether it is conflation of multiple storylines together, to condensation of a particular storyline for purposes of running time, or wholesale narrative changes (see Peter Jackson's LOTR trilogy), or even changes to the way things look - sometimes something looks great in the context of a two-dimensional handdrawn comic page, but can look bulky, cheesy, or just ridiculous if "faithfully" reproduced in real life.

The race of your characters seems like a weird thing to latch onto in this regard; if we're going to complain about the visual incongruity between the movies and the comics made by casting someone black, it seems like there's a hell of a lot of stuff you should be complaining about before that, like the fact that everything looks totally different and all the dialogue is made up.  To skip over all of that and focus on race seems disingenuous, especially when -- as we all agree -- it doesn't really matter whether most Marvel characters are black or white.
Well, I just gave of list of common changes.  But race is not ever one of those things that need to be changed in adaptation.  There may be good reasons to change a character's costume, but there is no narrative reason to change the race.  That's all I'm saying.  There might be legitimate reasons to make all kinds of changes in adaptation, but the race of a character is not really one of those things.

I come to the films as a fan first of these characters I loved from comics.  I understand that some changes need to be made, but given that, I hope for as faithful a translation as possible, because the love of the characters and stories comes from the comics.  So willy-nilly changes for no reason bother me, as they rarely do good things for the film concerned.  Which is one reason, I think, that the Marvel films have succeeded.  They don't shy away from things in the comics, they are faithful translations in the essences of the characters.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1799 on: December 16, 2014, 07:29:22 AM »
There may be good reasons to change a character's costume, but there is no narrative reason to change the race. 
Well, there could be depending on the narrative, but yeah I doubt that's usually the reason.

However, there's also often no narrative reason NOT to change the race either. Sometimes there is (Batman being a middle class white boy being a good example) so changes there would be weird, but other times it makes no difference. Sometimes Bane is white, sometimes he's hispanic. Doesn't matter.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1800 on: December 16, 2014, 02:10:07 PM »
***AoS SPOILERS***

I love all the fan speculation now about how AoS is going to develop all kinds of cool back-story for the Inhumans and such.  I actually think it will be quite the opposite.  Now that they have let the cat out of the bag TO THE AUDIENCE, there is so much buzz about the show that they can let that storyline rest and go a completely different direction.  I would guess that that is exactly what they will do.  I think it is silly to expect to see Quake using her newfound powers and kicking butt all over the Marvel Universe.  In fact, I think there are pretty good hints that she will not.  First off, Cal planted the seed in her mind that others will fear and not understand her, which would very likely make her unwilling to use and show off her powers.  Second, she undoubtedly feels guilty about Trip's death, which, again, will likely lead to her hiding her power.  Third, other than Raina, no living AoS character specifically knows about her transformation.  Yeah, Cal knew that it was going to happen, but he does not know the specifics of what happened.  Raina is a different story, but I think she also will go "underground" (for reasons that have nothing to do with anything other than the fact that the show's producers do not NEED to use her much in the immediate future). 

I could be wrong, but here is what I think will happen:  There will be very SLOW and SPORADIC use of the Inhumans angle in AoS for quite some time.  Sure, we will get situations where Quake is placed in difficult quandaries about whether to reveal herself, and there will undoubtedly be some stuff going on beneath the surface.  But I would expect things to be relatively quiet on the Inhumans front for a year or so and not start to ramp up until Age of Ultron is well in the rearview mirror and Infinity Wars draws a bit closer.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #1801 on: December 16, 2014, 02:27:18 PM »
I don't know how they expect to run a single story-line through a bunch of movies, with the amount of time they're taking to get each movie out.

The actors will become too old to be believable as the characters they're portraying, the audience will become bored and lose interest, and key people involved on BOTH sides of the camera might not even LIVE long enough to see the project completed!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1802 on: December 16, 2014, 02:45:54 PM »
The last movie is only about 3 1/2 years away.  That is not very long.  And I think the cast of characters will evolve, as it has thus far.  The Avengers roll of members changed constantly in the comics.  I expect that we will see (and are seeing) the same thing here.  I mean, we already know that we will see three new Avengers in Age of Ultron, and it looks like they will lose Hulk by the end of the film, so the team is in flux already.  And two other potential future Avengers have been introduced in AoS.  Looks like they are following the same pattern as in the comics.

So far, they have been doing an excellent job of running common story-lines through the movies and TV series (several key story-lines; not just a single one).  I see no reason why they should not be able to continue that successfully.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 03:34:50 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #1803 on: December 16, 2014, 03:34:15 PM »
I know they're planning to bring Quicksilver into the next (or third) Avengers movie.

How many more movies are planned to be a part of this story?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1804 on: December 16, 2014, 03:50:33 PM »
11 more that we know of:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Marvel_Cinematic_Universe_films

(and I guess the last is 4 1/2 years off; not 3 1/2.  But still)

10 so far, and 1 1/2 seasons of the TV series, and they have done a splendid job with continuity through that. 

And Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and Vision are all in the next movie.  Quake and Mockingbird could potentially cross over from AoS and join the team and some point in the future as well, since both were Avengers in the comics.  EDIT:  Not to mention that we know of three other comics Avengers to have scheduled movies (Ant Man, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel), and that Namor has at least been referenced as well.  AND we have War Machine.  AND there is the rumored work in Spider Man making an appearance.  I mean, the possibilities are endless.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1805 on: December 17, 2014, 02:51:51 AM »
Another 1.5 seasons? Does that mean it's been renewed for a third season? Or are you including Agent Carter in that?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1806 on: December 17, 2014, 03:41:11 AM »
I'd be really sad if AoS doesn't get renewed. They have really stepped up their game, to become something actually important in the grand scale of things.

I could be wrong, but here is what I think will happen:  There will be very SLOW and SPORADIC use of the Inhumans angle in AoS for quite some time.  Sure, we will get situations where Quake is placed in difficult quandaries about whether to reveal herself, and there will undoubtedly be some stuff going on beneath the surface.  But I would expect things to be relatively quiet on the Inhumans front for a year or so and not start to ramp up until Age of Ultron is well in the rearview mirror and Infinity Wars draws a bit closer.

Yeah this seems pretty reasonable, since the Inhumans movie isn't even until after the first Infinity War.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1807 on: December 17, 2014, 07:19:23 AM »
Another 1.5 seasons? Does that mean it's been renewed for a third season? Or are you including Agent Carter in that?
It hasn't been renewed yet.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1808 on: December 17, 2014, 08:45:25 AM »

No, I said there has been 1 1/2 seasons already.  But they have done well, so I would hope the series will continue.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1809 on: December 17, 2014, 08:47:34 AM »

Yeah this seems pretty reasonable, since the Inhumans movie isn't even until after the first Infinity War.

And I meant to say this in my previous post:  I also think that Quake will NOT reveal herself to the team and that the team will have no idea about her powers, at least for awhile.  I think we are going to see her hiding it and just trying to understand and cope with what is going on.  And it will be easy for her to hide it because, again, the only living person to know she was actually transformed is Raina.  And nobody else, and perhaps not even Raina, knows that Quake caused the earthquake rather than it being caused by the obelisk or something else.  I think she will play it off as though she has no idea what caused it (and it is possible that even she does not even realize that it was her).

EDIT:  Just found some quotes from the shows creators that seems to imply something along the lines of what I was suggesting:

Zap2it: In Season 1 your tagline was "Not all heroes are super," but now we do have a superhero as a main character. How does that change the DNA of the show?

Jed Whedon: We don't necessarily have a superhero yet; we have someone who's going through a change that she doesn't understand that's tied to the death of one of her favorite people. So right now we're dealing with what happens if you take a regular person and put them through that change.

Maurissa Tancharoen: We've spent a season and a half with Skye, seeing her evolve as a person and as an agent and grown to like her as who she is as just a normal woman. Now we're launching essentially the beginning of her origin story, and it's going to be filled with very complex and heavy emotion, because in the moment where she has changed, she's also witnessing Trip's death. We're going to make it a very complicated journey for her. We may not just be diving into, "OK, now I have powers." It's: What does that mean? Do I want this? How does that affect the relationships around her?
https://www.zap2it.com/blogs/agents_of_shield_season_2_fall_finale_daisy_johnson_raina_inhumans_whedon_interview-2014-12
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 10:22:54 AM by bosk1 »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1810 on: December 17, 2014, 09:40:31 AM »

No, I said there has been 1 1/2 seasons already.  But they have done well, so I would hope the series will continue.
Ah yes, I misread your post, I thought you were talking about upcoming films.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1811 on: December 17, 2014, 09:42:29 AM »

Ah yes, I misread your post, I thought you were talking about upcoming films.
Well, to be fair, since all of this has me acting like a giddy school-kid, it may very well be that my posts aren't nearly as coherent as I think they are.  :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1812 on: December 17, 2014, 09:44:23 AM »
Yeah, let's go with that.  :justjen

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1813 on: December 17, 2014, 11:24:35 AM »
And nobody else, and perhaps not even Raina, knows that Quake caused the earthquake rather than it being caused by the obelisk or something else.  I think she will play it off as though she has no idea what caused it (and it is possible that even she does not even realize that it was her).

Heck, even I didn't know until right now.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1814 on: December 17, 2014, 11:34:49 AM »
And nobody else, and perhaps not even Raina, knows that Quake caused the earthquake rather than it being caused by the obelisk or something else.  I think she will play it off as though she has no idea what caused it (and it is possible that even she does not even realize that it was her).

Heck, even I didn't know until right now.

Well, if you know that Daisy = Daisy Johnson (aka Quake), it is fairly obvious that since the quake starts right when she looks at Trip and clenches her fists, that it was her.  :lol

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1815 on: December 17, 2014, 11:44:26 AM »
Haha yeah I guess. But here on this page is actually the first time I remember hearing the name 'Quake' or gain any insight as to what exactly her powers are, so I had no idea.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1816 on: December 17, 2014, 12:24:24 PM »
Haha yeah I guess. But here on this page is actually the first time I remember hearing the name 'Quake' or gain any insight as to what exactly her powers are, so I had no idea.

I did not know the character myself (I was never an Inhumans fan), but I knew the names Daisy and Cal were significant, so I Googled them.  There are a ton of articles out there about it.  People who know the characters figured it out immediately once the names were given (and some had picked up on enough of the clues to have figured it out the week before). 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1817 on: December 17, 2014, 12:39:14 PM »
Saw this fact in my newsfeed from 'WTF FACTS'....."Due to his cameos in the Marvel movies, Stan Lee is the 4th highest grossing actor of all times"

That's interesting.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1818 on: December 19, 2014, 02:42:27 PM »
It feels like overcompensating. They want so badly not to be viewed as racist that they end up going to the extreme other end of the spectrum, where ethnic diversity is an absolute requirement. I'm 100% for ethnic diversity, but it doesn't need to be forced. The world is already learning that racism is wrong. We don't need Hollywood directors/producers saying "Ok make sure there's a minority in every scene so we don't get called racist."
Sorry to restart this discussion days later, but you're aware that there are a lot more minority people in every scene of your life than there are in the movies? This "forced" amount of diversity is still way off the real thing, which is near 30% of non-white people in America. If you make your movies way more white than the real world, that my friend really is racism, what else could it be? Why are created worlds whiter than our real world? It's a subconscious thing, but movies play an important part in shaping our consciousness, so it's a chicken and egg situation that spills out into the real world and makes people all sorts of fucked in the head.

And I don't really agree about increasing diversity being about making money in foreign markets, the rest of the world goes out to see white male American characters all the time, because your culture is global and we swallow it whole as universal even when it doesn't include us. It's just that minorities in the USA feel that they should include them, and for a good reason. People in India wear cowboy outfits, people in China have posters of Iron Man on the walls in their bedrooms. It's the other way around - you guys don't give a damn about foreign movies and cultures even when they're white and French, let alone Asian or Latin American. People in every country in the world see more American movies than movies made on their own country or even continent, and that's just the way it is.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1819 on: December 21, 2014, 01:21:34 PM »
It feels like overcompensating. They want so badly not to be viewed as racist that they end up going to the extreme other end of the spectrum, where ethnic diversity is an absolute requirement. I'm 100% for ethnic diversity, but it doesn't need to be forced. The world is already learning that racism is wrong. We don't need Hollywood directors/producers saying "Ok make sure there's a minority in every scene so we don't get called racist."
It's the other way around - you guys don't give a damn about foreign movies and cultures even when they're white and French, let alone Asian or Latin American.
Haha, you almost got me with that one.
Listen! Do you smell something?