Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*  (Read 296672 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*
« Reply #1715 on: December 05, 2014, 11:07:19 AM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1716 on: December 05, 2014, 11:30:30 AM »
A couple of things I have been speculating about...  (*****SPOILERS!!!***********)

1.  The map at the end of Iron Man 2 shows the whereabouts of certain individuals, many of whom, such as Hulk and Cap, are nto a big deal.  But if you pay close attention, apparently Black Panther and Namor can also be seen.  We already knew about Black Panter being destined to make an appearance.  I wonder if Namor will, or if it is just a cool nugget for those who noticed.  And if so, will he get his own movie, or only have a more limited role?  Hmm...

2.  Thus far, the infinity gems are not all the same size and do not all appear as gems.  That leads me to wonder about some other McGuffins in the Marvel universe so far.  Could the obelisk in Agents of SHIELD also be one?  (I am still a few episodes behind, so this may already have been answered...dunno)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1717 on: December 11, 2014, 10:09:08 AM »
It's definitely a MacGuffin, but it is not, apparently, one of the Infinity Gems.

BTW, lots of details in the Sony hack about the proposed deal between Marvel and Sony to get Spider-Man into the MCU.  And apparently, the head honchos of Sony in Japan are eager to get it done.

*fingers crossed*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1718 on: December 11, 2014, 10:21:11 AM »
It's definitely a MacGuffin, but it is not, apparently, one of the Infinity Gems.

I'm not so sure.  I wouldn't be surprised either way. 

Related:  This weeks episode was pretty amazing.  ***SPOILERS***  (dug!)

-So, Skye...er...Daisey is now "transformed."  This will be interesting.  Apparently, she is going to become VERY important in the MCU.  Is she a comics-based character that I am not placing, or is she new?  I did not really care for her character early on, but I think over the long term, they have done a good job slowly developing her.  She has gone from a seeming bit-role and annoying person to a major focal point that has some really complex things going on.  EDIT:  Good article explaining the tie-in to the comics:  https://screenrant.com/agents-shield-skye-origin-powers-daisy-quake/  I was not familiar with these characters, so I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this information, but it seems legit.

EDIT2:  Yep, confirmed by Maurissa Tancharoen:

We're very excited that we're finally revealing that Skye is Daisy Johnson.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/agents-shield-skye-inhuman-reveal-755594

-Whitehall is apparently dead.  But somehow, I think not.

-Tripplet is apparently dead.  I tend to think he will stay that way.  Turned to stone and started to blow apart.  Bummer.  I liked him.

-Raina:  Hmmm...turned to stone.  But unless I missed it, it seemed like they deliberately declined to show her getting blown apart like Tripplet.  I wonder...

-Ward:  Apparently will survive.  I like that his character's alignment with good/evil has been ambiguous for awhile and, unexpectedly, has been getting more and more ambiguous as things progress.  It makes for a very interesting and complex character.  But I still hate him and partly wish he died.  :lol

Also, the twist/tie-in with the Chinese woman being Skye's Daisey's mother was pretty cool.  I figured it out a bit earlier in the episode before they revealed it, but it made for an interesting bit of plot.

BTW, lots of details in the Sony hack about the proposed deal between Marvel and Sony to get Spider-Man into the MCU.  And apparently, the head honchos of Sony in Japan are eager to get it done.

*fingers crossed*

I'm not dying for it to happen, but if it does, I just hope it is done well.  And I think it will be, but just sayin'...

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 10:57:28 AM by bosk1 »

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1719 on: December 11, 2014, 11:05:10 AM »
So far, I honestly think that the second season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has been fantastic. A massive step up from last season. I am very unfamiliar with all the 'Inhumans' stuff, so it will be very interesting to see how that'll develop into the movie in 2018/19?

-Raina:  Hmmm...turned to stone.  But unless I missed it, it seemed like they deliberately declined to show her getting blown apart like Tripplet.  I wonder...

They did show what happened to her. Granted, only in very vague and quick shots. But we saw the 'stone' crack away from her skin just like Skye, and it revealed some weird spiky skin underneath. Then we saw her real quick watching Skye from the shadows, so that we couldn't see her new appearance.

*fingers crossed*

I'm not dying for it to happen, but if it does, I just hope it is done well.  And I think it will be, but just sayin'...

I'm not really sure why, but I really really don't want Spider-Man in the MCU. I have no problem with the addition of all these other weird or famous heroes, but please don't involve Spider-Man, it feels 100% wrong to me. Just like I hope the X-Men are never included, oh my god what a mess that would be..

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1720 on: December 11, 2014, 11:13:53 AM »

They did show what happened to her. Granted, only in very vague and quick shots. But we saw the 'stone' crack away from her skin just like Skye, and it revealed some weird spiky skin underneath. Then we saw her real quick watching Skye from the shadows, so that we couldn't see her new appearance.

Oh, I must have missed that!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1721 on: December 11, 2014, 11:15:48 AM »
To be clear, I don't think that the MCU needs Spider-Man.  It doesn't, and that has been made evident.

However, I like Spider-Man as a character, and I feel strongly that Sony has no idea what to do with the character, so I would prefer that any future cinematic appearances of Spidey be made by Marvel rather than by Sony.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1722 on: December 11, 2014, 11:37:15 AM »
so I would prefer that any future cinematic appearances of Spidey be made by Marvel rather than by Sony.

While I definetely agree with that, I would personally prefer it for Spidey to take a decade or so long hiatus from all live action screen appearances. He has been properly slaughtered by now, it's time to let that character rest instead of spreading the bad taste people associate with Spider-Man stuff by now into other projects.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1723 on: December 11, 2014, 12:20:59 PM »
I agree, the character by now has a stigma thanks to the dumbfucks at Sony. I don't know about a decade, but then again that time will pass pretty quick and before we know it there'll be another huge roster of movies coming out by Marvel and if Spidey is on that roster by that time, I'd be pretty excited about that. Then again I'm expecting the worst and that Sony will cling to this thing till the movies lose more money than they already have and no one cares anymore. Human greed has no bounds.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1724 on: December 11, 2014, 12:26:05 PM »
I don't want to see Marvel get the rights to Spider-Man to be honest, and that's coming from someone who has been a Spidey-fan for 16-17 years. I love the character, and would say he is my favorite super hero by far. But Marvel already has a stacked line-up. If they get Spider-Man, we would get a few occasional cameos and maybe one Spider-Man movie every 5 years or so. I don't want that. All I want are good films, and I just hope that Sony can pull their shit together. Marvel doesn't own X-Men, but Fox are hitting it out of the park with that franchise right now. Their new take on Fantastic Four will be interesting.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1725 on: December 11, 2014, 12:58:02 PM »
Everything I have heard about the new take on Fantastic Four fills me with dread.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1726 on: December 11, 2014, 01:15:18 PM »
Everything I have heard about the new take on Fantastic Four fills me with dread.
I would say it more fills me with a sense of...Doom.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1727 on: December 11, 2014, 01:29:14 PM »
Nice.

Yeah I think it's gonna flop, critically and with the comic-book fans who aren't teenie boppers. Not looking forward to it.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1728 on: December 11, 2014, 01:57:03 PM »
I don't either. I'm quite frankly a bit bummed out about it even happening at all.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1729 on: December 11, 2014, 02:06:32 PM »
I would say it more fills me with a sense of...Doom.
From what I've read, it fills me with a sense of non-Doom, or Doom-in-name-only.  I WISH it were Doom.

In fact, I wish that Fox would let Marvel have the FF catalog back, for the simple reason that Marvel would portray Doom on screen the way he should be portrayed, and he would fit in great.  Don't care about the FF itself, but Doom I want.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1730 on: December 11, 2014, 02:08:55 PM »
I'm not worried about the new Fantastic Four at all. It's helmed by Josh Trank who made the really nice movie Chronicle, it's being written by the guy who wrote Days of Future Past, and the cast is nothing short of amazing. They have taken some liberties and changed some of the backgrounds of the characters, but there is way too many positive things working for this movie, that a few small changes would pop the balloon for me. I think FF can be the Guardians of 2015, that super hero movie nobody is really anticipating, but it proves to be a big surprise.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1731 on: December 11, 2014, 02:15:18 PM »
I think it will be a huge failure.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1732 on: December 11, 2014, 02:17:13 PM »
I've never really liked the Fantastic 4, always found them to be too corny. Would like to be pleasantly surprised though.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1733 on: December 11, 2014, 02:19:18 PM »
It's helmed by Josh Trank who made the really nice movie Chronicle, it's being written by the guy who wrote Days of Future Past

I did not know this, so yeah I guess it has that going for it. But I still retain my basement-level enthusiasm for the project.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1734 on: December 11, 2014, 02:21:26 PM »
Also, let's not forget Josh Trank got the job to direct a Star Wars related film, mostly based on what he did with Fantastic Four and Chronicle. It wasn't Chronicle alone that impressed the people at Disney, they also saw what he had done so far with FF when they gave him the job to direct the second stand alone Star Wars film in 2018.

He must have done something right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1735 on: December 12, 2014, 07:02:20 AM »
He may have made a fine film on its own rights.  He may even have made a fine sci-fi film about young people with powers, like Chronicle.

I just am filled with dread about how good of a Fantastic Four film this will be.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1736 on: December 12, 2014, 07:05:50 AM »
So I finally saw GOTG. Found a 720 stream online. It's pretty fun.

Is there any significance to Howard the Duck at the end or is it just meant to be funny because Howard The Duck ?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1737 on: December 12, 2014, 07:22:30 AM »
Post credit scenes like that is a huge 'fuck you' to us in my opinion. And I hope that doesn't mean anything. I don't know anything about that character, but it seems (and looks) stupid as hell.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1738 on: December 12, 2014, 07:23:58 AM »
Post credit scenes like that is a huge 'fuck you' to us in my opinion.
???  How in the world do you arrive at that opinion?

And no, I don't think it will have much, if any, significance.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1739 on: December 12, 2014, 07:24:27 AM »
The problem is that Marvel has given us a few post-credits scenes that have hinted towards the next movie, and so whenever they do just a fun post-credits scene that doesn't mean anything today, people actually get upset. People are expecting something from the next movie now, and so Marvel have kinda shot themselves in the foot.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1740 on: December 12, 2014, 07:26:23 AM »
Yeah that's pretty much it. We have had some really cool and interesting ones in the past. Sitting though the entire credits isn't at all as fun when you get nothing from it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1741 on: December 12, 2014, 07:45:00 AM »
I guess, but none of the post-credits scenes have been THAT substantive, either.  They are just a shot that there is more going on.

I don't know, I look at it as just a bonus scene, a throwaway, nonessential, so I couldn't imagine being upset about one.

And specifically, this is isn't any different, really, than the schwarma scene at the end of The Avengers.

Of course, I read Howard the Duck comics in the 70s when he was a known and cool character.  And this was just a nod to such fans, nothing more.  No big deal.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1742 on: December 12, 2014, 08:07:42 AM »
I guess, but none of the post-credits scenes have been THAT substantive, either.  They are just a shot that there is more going on.
The only one that has, really, was the scene at the end of the Incredible Hulk, because it was the first on-screen hint towards the Avengers. Other than that, I agree the rest aren't all that substantive.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1743 on: December 12, 2014, 08:10:58 AM »
So Sam Jackson appearing at the end of the first Iron Man and saying "Avengers initiative" wasn't a hint? :lol

Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1744 on: December 12, 2014, 08:11:49 AM »
So Sam Jackson appearing at the end of the first Iron Man and saying "Avengers initiative" wasn't a hint? :lol
I think that's what I'm thinking of, or did both happen and I've somehow rolled the two into one in my mind?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1745 on: December 12, 2014, 08:14:33 AM »
Tony Stark talks to Thunderbolt at the end of Hulk one but there's no explicit mention of Avengers. There's a "we" mention.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1746 on: December 12, 2014, 08:15:45 AM »
In Houston they say that?  Oh, maybe not. I'm all mixed up.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1747 on: December 12, 2014, 08:28:44 AM »
Well, yeah.  That.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1748 on: December 12, 2014, 08:32:13 AM »
Tony Stark talks to Thunderbolt at the end of Hulk one but there's no explicit mention of Avengers. There's a "we" mention.
Yeah I haven't watched those first two films in ages, I've clearly amalgamated both post-credit scenes in my memory. Oops!

Ok so that's two substantive ones then.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1749 on: December 12, 2014, 08:46:35 AM »
Keep in mind that those were the first two Marvel films, so there was a method to the madness.

The scene at the end of IM2 showed Coulson finding the hammer of Thor, which wound up being recreated in Thor.  The post credits scene from the first Captain America film was Nick Fury inviting Cap to save the world, a scene which was actually in The AvengersThat film had the mid-credits scene with Thanos, and the post-credits scene with schwarma - humorous, but not important.

The IM3 post-credits scene was Tony talking to Bruce, who was asleep.  So, just humorous, but not important.  The one from Thor: The Dark World was more substantive, as was the one from The Winter Soldier.

I would group the one from GOTG with schwarma and IM3.  Humorous, but not important.