Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*  (Read 296695 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*
« Reply #1645 on: October 27, 2014, 01:10:45 PM »
I'd like Marvel to make a decent Ghost Rider movie, but considering the Nick Cage ones were so bad, they probably wouldn't make any money from it as no one would go see it based off the first 2. The CGI would probably be loads better too.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1646 on: October 27, 2014, 01:16:04 PM »
Yeah we don't NEED any movie to be honest. And I don't think the status of the super hero is necessarily going to make or break your movie. You've had plenty of average/disappointing movies with the big ones, like Batman and Robin, Superman Returns, X-Men 3: The Last Stand or Spider-Man 3. On the other side of the spectrum, you have a movie like Guardians of the Galaxy, a team nobody had heard of a year ago, and that movie turned out really awesome. I think Ant-Man and Dr. Strange could be the same.

And while this is just a theory of mine, I have a feeling that a new super hero might be more refreshing to newcomers. If you haven't followed the universe before, you might need to watch 3 Iron Man movies and Avengers to catch up on Iron Man, but you could go in blindly with a movie like Guardians of the Galaxy and still have a good time. The same would apply to Ant-Man or Dr. Strange, they are both connected to the Cinematic Universe, but everyone would be going into those movies with the same fresh take.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1647 on: October 27, 2014, 01:17:18 PM »
Paul Rudd being in Ant Man sparked my interest a little bit. Before I didn't give a shit at all.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1648 on: October 27, 2014, 01:29:39 PM »
@ Bosk... perhaps, but here's a great article - How Marvel's Movie Risks Paid Off

And...

Marvel won’t recover the film rights to Spider-Man or the X-Men anytime soon but says Marvel has something more valuable: a universe of thousands of characters it controls entirely. That means Feige can produce an unlimited number of films with interweaving story lines and characters, creating a vast audience for almost any Marvel movie. People might show up for The Avengers, meet the Black Widow, and come back for her movie, too. There’s a map of films reaching far into the next decade on the wall of Feige’s office. “It’s like looking through the Hubble telescope. You go, ‘What’s happening back there? I can sort of see it,’ ” he laughs. “They printed out a new one recently that went to 2028.

Is Marvel studios just going to make films around the existing Avengers characters for the next 15 years?  Why wouldn't they introduce and develop new characters when there's 8000 to choose from?

Oh, and there's this too:

Promotional corporate synergy in the ABC-Disney family is still in the stars for next week. The highly anticipated Avengers 2 trailer was originally set to debut during the October 28 episode of Marvel’s Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. Instead, Marvel said today it will unveil new footage from the May 1, 2015 release in its place. Another Age Of Ultron peek is scheduled to air on ABC the following week on November 9 at 9 PM ET during Marvel 75 Years: From Pulp to Pop!.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has been excellent so far this season.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1649 on: October 27, 2014, 01:36:34 PM »
Yeah we don't NEED any movie to be honest.

Well, course we don't "need" any movies at all.  But to even say that, aren't you just being pedantic?  My point is just that I am a bit concerned with dilution/oversaturation.  And I think that is likely to happen with handing us movies about second-rate heroes that most people may not even care about.  I mean, I don't even know anyone who ever read a Dr. Strange or Ant Man (unless Marvel manipulated them to do so by having a crossover). 

But that being said, you DO make good points.  It's just, as I said, with all the crossing over into one big, overarching story, I am just worried about the good stuff getting dilluted by bad stuff, that's all.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1650 on: October 27, 2014, 01:53:30 PM »
What's interesting is that despite how many movies Marvel are pumping out, they are trying to make their movies in a way that you won't get burned out. For example, Iron Man started the universe and while we have gotten Iron Man 3, there's really no news about a fourth movie and we probably won't get one, at least for quite some time. Trilogies seems the way to go, and while Captain America 3 and Thor 3 are on their way, they have also branched out with Guardians and are continuing to branch out with Ant-Man, Dr. Strange and two presumable movies in Black Panther and Ms. Marvel.

Some studios would have just continued to milk that one popular superhero, but I love it that Marvel take a different approach. Sure, we'll get the regular core-team in Avengers 2 and probably Avengers 3, but instead of coming up with a sub-par Iron Man 4, they somewhat retire the character for a few years to leave room for other movies, and we know he will return in other movies anyways.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1651 on: October 27, 2014, 02:06:09 PM »
Current rumours suggest Avengers 3 might not feature all of the existing 'core' team.  Could be Cap's version of the Avengers from the Civil War story line.  Although, there's no shortage of speculation, so I'm sure there are dozens of theories/rumours to pull from.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1652 on: October 27, 2014, 02:09:55 PM »
Current rumours suggest Avengers 3 might not feature all of the existing 'core' team.  Could be Cap's version of the Avengers from the Civil War story line.  Although, there's no shortage of speculation, so I'm sure there are dozens of theories/rumours to pull from.

It is also looking plausible that Hulk may perhaps not be around.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1653 on: October 27, 2014, 02:13:10 PM »
I am just worried about the good stuff getting dilluted by bad stuff, that's all.
I'll worry about it when Marvel makes some bad stuff.

Besides, one reason for introducing some of these other characters is to maintain public interest (and money) once Evans, Downey, and Hemsworth are no longer the driving draws when their contracts are up. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1654 on: October 27, 2014, 02:17:31 PM »
Interestingly enough, I think the weakest Marvel moments have been in the "sure bets". I wasn't HUGE on the first Captain America or Thor, and Iron Man 2 is probably the weakest one they have put out. Not saying any of these movies are bad, I still enjoyed watching them, even if I haven't felt the urge to re-watch them, but a movie like Guardians of the Galaxy which I knew nothing about, ended up being much more refreshing and exciting. I'm still bummed that Edgar Wright is not directing Ant-Man, but I still like the cast, and I think it will be fun. I think Ant-Man has a lot of things working well for it, because after all the trouble with Edgar Wright leaving the project, them looking for a new director and the production being delayed, somewhere along the way, people dropped their expectations. And this is still a Marvel movie, and I think Ant-Man could prove to be a very pleasant surprise.  :hat

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1655 on: October 27, 2014, 02:53:33 PM »
I'm really looking forward to Ant-Man.

Hell, I'm also looking forward to Big Hero 6, even though it technically has nothing to do with the MCU.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1656 on: October 27, 2014, 04:56:02 PM »
It's still plausible that (spoilers) Captain America dies in the Civil War film to Brock Rumlow aka Crossbones.

I do not know how likely it is, and I don't remember how many more films he's going to shoot based on his contract, but a while back I did some research on the subject and was convinced. Maybe, maybe not.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1657 on: October 27, 2014, 07:39:26 PM »
I still don't think there's any chance they will kill off Steve Rodgers, no matter how many movies Sebastian Stan signed for. Could they retire the character without killing him off and let Bucky take over for a few movies? Sure. But when it all comes down to it, I'm 100% positive we'll see THE Steve Rodgers as Captain America in lets say an Avengers 4 and not the Bucky Cap.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1658 on: October 28, 2014, 11:47:21 AM »
I am above and beyond excited about Benedict Cumberbatch being included in the MCU.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1659 on: October 28, 2014, 11:57:41 AM »
Ditto. I really hope it goes through. I thought he was just in 'final negotiations'? These days, I don't take anything seriously in Hollywoodland unless it's absolutely confirmed. I'd fuckin' love that though, especially as the demented Doctor.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1660 on: October 28, 2014, 12:00:21 PM »
It's only in negotiations as far as I know. Cabbagepatch would be a great addition, but there has been so many great actors rumored for Dr. Strange, I would be fine with most picks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1661 on: October 28, 2014, 12:42:46 PM »
Nothing has been reported as final by Marvel.  But they have a big press event scheduled for today, so hopefully that will be one of the news items they reveal.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1662 on: October 28, 2014, 12:59:49 PM »
Shit just got real, yo.

This is nuts. We are officially in the age of the Superhero film wars. It's going to be a long war, compatriots.

RIP DTP.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1663 on: October 28, 2014, 01:01:35 PM »
Chadwick Boseman is casted as Black Panther!!! Excellent choice!!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1664 on: October 28, 2014, 01:05:33 PM »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1665 on: October 28, 2014, 01:09:08 PM »

THE EXCITE GIFS. Such an awesome day of news and yays and funs.

RIP DTP.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1666 on: October 28, 2014, 01:11:12 PM »
So I guess we can put the Civil War rumors to rest, and probably cross Downey out of Cap 3 as well.

Good enough.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1667 on: October 28, 2014, 01:13:31 PM »
So I guess we can put the Civil War rumors to rest, and probably cross Downey out of Cap 3 as well.

Good enough.

Put them to rest?  How so?  It was confirmed:  "May 6, 2016: Captain America: Civil War."

And I guess we are in for at least 4 full-fledged Avengers movies, since "infinity war" is spanning two separate Avengers films.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1668 on: October 28, 2014, 01:13:55 PM »
To be sure. I'm guessing these actors are already breathing the heavy sighs. I'd be extremely surprised if those films weren't the starting point for phasing out this 'round' of actors. That's a shitload of movies... I don't care what anyone says about actors, that kind of workload, even if you're not in a whole lot of the movies, has to be pretty straining; especially since you can't really do anything else.

I shall dub this era of movies....

THE MARVEL SLAVES.

RIP DTP.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1669 on: October 28, 2014, 01:16:59 PM »
I can assume that Ragnarok will be in Civil War since the third Thor movie has his name in the title?!?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1670 on: October 28, 2014, 01:17:33 PM »
Yeah, with Age of Ultron and Ant Man, the addition of those 9 means at least 11 new Marvel Universe films!  With the 10 we already have, that is a movie franchise of at least 21 movies.  Just...wow.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1671 on: October 28, 2014, 01:19:35 PM »

Good enough.

Put them to rest?  How so?  It was confirmed:  "May 6, 2016: Captain America: Civil War."

And I guess we are in for at least 4 full-fledged Avengers movies, since "infinity war" is spanning two separate Avengers films.
Didn't look at that link, but the info I saw listed the title of Cap 3 as Captain America: Serpent Society.

EDIT:  The pic of that title was shown at the event (and that is what I saw) but Feige was apparently trolling the audience.  It was replaced with Civil War.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1672 on: October 28, 2014, 01:21:44 PM »
Ah, okay.  I wasn't sure where you were coming from on that.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1673 on: October 28, 2014, 01:27:51 PM »
Failed to mention here or in the posted link is that Black Panther will be introduced in Cap 3.  Guess that squashes the theory he might show up in Avengers 2 (as Ultron goes looking to build himself out of vibranium by traveling to Wakanda)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1674 on: October 28, 2014, 01:28:45 PM »
This is shaping up to be awesome, awesome, awesome.

Suck it, DC!

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1675 on: October 28, 2014, 01:36:22 PM »
I'm a DC guy, and I'm still looking forward to seeing Batman and Superman on the big screen for the first time ever more than Civil War, but I can't help but smile at this Phase 3 announcement. 2016 is going to be one hell of a superhero movie year!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1676 on: October 28, 2014, 01:36:40 PM »
Failed to mention here or in the posted link is that Black Panther will be introduced in Cap 3.  Guess that squashes the theory he might show up in Avengers 2 (as Ultron goes looking to build himself out of vibranium by traveling to Wakanda)

HE WAS ALREADY INTRODUCED IN AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.!!!  :rant:

EDIT:  And what Hef said.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1677 on: October 28, 2014, 01:46:08 PM »
Official concept art for Black Panther

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1678 on: October 28, 2014, 01:52:04 PM »
HE WAS ALREADY INTRODUCED IN AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.!!!  :rant:

Official concept art for Black Panther

I swear that guy never showed up in 'Agents'   :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1679 on: October 28, 2014, 02:38:38 PM »
:lol

This is bloody fantastic. I still need to catch up and see Guardians!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.