Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*  (Read 296661 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Marvel's Movie Universe *SPOILERS*
« Reply #1540 on: August 03, 2014, 05:20:41 AM »
Well, it's at the drive in and their playing The Winter Soldier which I saw already after it.  May still stay.  Seeing it on Tuesday night!

You should... that one was so good I saw it twice in the theater's.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1541 on: August 03, 2014, 05:23:39 AM »
I think we will.  I want to see Lucy as well but it's playing on the other screen the same time as GOTG dammit.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1542 on: August 03, 2014, 09:58:54 AM »
That's one hell of a double feature

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1543 on: August 03, 2014, 12:37:51 PM »
Just had a thought: if they said Thanos isn't supposed in the next Avengers movie, then why was Brolin at the Avengers 2 Comic Con panel?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1544 on: August 03, 2014, 12:59:28 PM »
Just had a thought: if they said Thanos isn't supposed in the next Avengers movie, then why was Brolin at the Avengers 2 Comic Con panel?

Because Thanos is in Guardians and he'll eventually be the big bad for Avengers 3.

I think what Marvel is doing is sticking Thanos in our consciousness while also showing that he's the wizard behind the curtains, the REAL bad guy in all of this.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1545 on: August 03, 2014, 01:02:26 PM »
Well GotG confirms everyone's suspicions that Thanos is obviously after all 6 Infinity Stones and the Infinity Gauntlet.

Tesseract - Asguard
Aether - Collector
??? - Nova Prime
??? - ???
??? - ???
??? - ???

Are we going to start seeing new infinity stones like every movie before Avengers 3?  :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1546 on: August 03, 2014, 02:43:09 PM »
Such a great movie!!! I love the humor and wit, and the action and special effects were amazing. Chris Pratt is the fucking man. I love him in Parks And Rec, so I'm glad to see he is starring in a feature film. The part was perfect for him.

Offline Full Speed

« Reply #1547 on: August 04, 2014, 08:35:00 AM »
I loved the movie. I'll have to see it a few more times, but I think liked it more than The Avengers. Those two, Winter Soldier, and the first Iron Man are at the top of the marvel movie heap for me anyway.

Can't wait for Avengers 2.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1548 on: August 04, 2014, 09:07:09 AM »
It was really a shame the movie too often had scenes devolve into really childish humor or use of childish language.  But that is really the only knock I have on the movie (except the post credits scene, which was stupid.  I was hoping for a bit of more valuable information that actually moved the story forward).  Other than that, it was outstanding. 

I never at any point ever read GotG comics, so I don't know whether a lot of my own personal questions are answered in the comics.  For instance, do the comics elaborate on who Starlord's real father is?  I don't want to know who; I just want to know if it is ever explained.

Lastly, as far as the fate of the infinity stones, I am not so sure the aether can truly be regarded as "safe" in the possession of the Collector.  Since his collection and facilty got blown to bits, the aether is now vulnerable.  And since Loki is apparently ruling Asgard in secret, I don't think we can bank on the tesseract being "safe" either.  Loki's temporary alliance with Thor aside, Loki is unmistakably a villain.  In reality, this latest infinity stone does not seem all that safe on Nova Prime either.  Thus far, the fates of the three that we know about are very much in a state of flux.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1549 on: August 04, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »
I think that the comics DO mention who Peter Quill's father is, but the movies may go a different rout with it anyway - James Gunn said that only 3 people know who his father is (himself, Kevin Feige, and Michael Rooker).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1550 on: August 04, 2014, 09:35:16 AM »
James Gunn said that this movie will have more Marvel comics characters (either on screen or referenced/innuendo) in it than any other Marvel film.

I really didn't notice a ton that were not obvious parts of the story.  I either missed a bunch, or my expectations were too high (or the references were to fairly obscure characters that I would not have picked up on).

It had the same basic premise as Thor 2 - good guys have super power that could destroy the universe; bad guys want and get it; good guys use said power to beat the bad guy; super power is locked away for safe keeping.

Well, since the major overarching plot arc heading up to Avengers 3 is the collection of the infinity stones and likely formation of the infinity gauntlet, I think that will be the basic premise of many of the movies for the foreseeable future.  You did not expect this?  And with regard to this movie in particular, given the end credits scene after Thor 2, how could you NOT have expected it here?  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1551 on: August 04, 2014, 09:36:08 AM »
I think that the comics DO mention who Peter Quill's father is, but the movies may go a different rout with it anyway - James Gunn said that only 3 people know who his father is (himself, Kevin Feige, and Michael Rooker).

I just did some quick reading about the character in the comics, and it seems like a LOT of liberties have been taken in taking the movie character in a completely different direction, so I think you are correct.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1552 on: August 04, 2014, 09:37:58 AM »
James Gunn said that this movie will have more Marvel comics characters (either on screen or referenced/innuendo) in it than any other Marvel film.

I really didn't notice a ton that were not obvious parts of the story.  I either missed a bunch, or my expectations were too high (or the references were to fairly obscure characters that I would not have picked up on).
I think it's a combination.  I gather that a lot of them are in the Collector's house, so they may only be noticeable when pausing play when it is out on Blu-ray.

Oh, and Howard.  That was great, sorry you didn't like it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1553 on: August 04, 2014, 09:40:46 AM »
Not trying to belittle it, but was there any significance to it whatsoever other than, "oh, cool. It's Howard the Duck"?  Was there some addditional meaning that I missed (and, yes, I know if I have to have it explained, it won't mean anything--but I just want to know if there was more there or if it was just an interesting piece of eye candy).

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1554 on: August 04, 2014, 09:41:46 AM »
I was disappointed that the post-credit scene was JUST that. I, also, was hoping for something to move the overall story forward.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1555 on: August 04, 2014, 09:43:59 AM »
No, I think it was in keeping with the more humorous nature of this film (as opposed to the rest of the Marvel films), and a tip of the hat to longtime comics fans (like me - I remember when Howard was cool) and to further things being out there in the realm of Marvel Cosmic.

Plus, I thought it was refreshing to get a post-credits scene that didn't necessarily lead to "the next thing," but just added to the film itself (no matter in how small a way it might be).

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1556 on: August 04, 2014, 10:01:10 AM »
I was disappointed that the post-credit scene was JUST that. I, also, was hoping for something to move the overall story forward.

To be honest, this movie moves the story forward more than any other Marvel movie so far. I don't think we really needed some intense after-credits scene, to be honest  :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1557 on: August 04, 2014, 10:09:27 AM »
To be honest, this movie moves the story forward more than any other Marvel movie so far. I don't think we really needed some intense after-credits scene, to be honest  :lol

I get your second sentence.  But not the first one.  How exactly did it move the story?  I suppose one could argue that it was an ingenious scene that was simultaneously lighthearted and also ominous, the latter because it slaps the viewer upside the head with "Hey, NONE of the infinity stones is safe.  This is going to come back and bite the good guys, you just wait and see."  But I really don't think that was the intent at all.  I think it was just Gunn being funny and irreverent in a way that, for better or for worse, the majority of people won't really get.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1558 on: August 04, 2014, 11:04:29 AM »
All I know is that social media is absolutely blowing up with praise for the movie, and I haven't seen any complaints about it.

The movie, as a whole, is just fun.

Offline Full Speed

« Reply #1559 on: August 04, 2014, 11:37:15 AM »
I thought the villan was pretty flat, but yeah there's not much to complain about at all.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1560 on: August 04, 2014, 11:41:07 AM »
I thought the villan was pretty flat, but yeah there's not much to complain about at all.

I think the main problem with Marvel movies overall is weak villains. Loki aside, most of them are just "generic badguy". And even with Loki, his greatness comes from being a conflicted character. You can tell he loves Thor and they are like brothers, but he also has the bad side. Most of the other villains are just "bad guy of the week". In contrast to someone like The Joker from Dark Knight, the Marvel villains are so pale. It normally doesn't matter, because the movies themselves are great.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1561 on: August 04, 2014, 12:05:56 PM »
All I know is that social media is absolutely blowing up with praise for the movie, and I haven't seen any complaints about it.

The movie, as a whole, is just fun.

I do not disagree with any of that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1562 on: August 04, 2014, 12:29:51 PM »

I think the main problem with Marvel movies overall is weak villains. Loki aside, most of them are just "generic badguy". And even with Loki, his greatness comes from being a conflicted character. You can tell he loves Thor and they are like brothers, but he also has the bad side. Most of the other villains are just "bad guy of the week". In contrast to someone like The Joker from Dark Knight, the Marvel villains are so pale. It normally doesn't matter, because the movies themselves are great.
I agree with all of this, Loki is definitely the standout in this department, although I would also give runner-up status to Obadiah Stane in Iron Man and to General Ross & the Abomination in The Incredible Hulk.  I was really hoping for more for Lee Pace to work with as Ronan.  I mean, he did a great job with what he had, but I was hoping for more.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1563 on: August 04, 2014, 03:43:40 PM »
I don't care much for Obadiah Stane actually. It's funny, because even though I hold Iron Man as one of the best from the MCU, the ending/last part is pretty lame. The whole movie is about Tony building the technology and slowly figuring out how to use it, and then over night, Jeff Bridges builds a bigger suit, learns how to use it perfectly and fights him. I can forgive weak villains in the origin movie, because the origin is about the hero, but in a sequel, you really need a strong villain. I think Captain America 2 did a good job with The Winter Soldier, but when I think about the villains in Thor 2 or Iron-Man 2, it's pretty tame.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1564 on: August 04, 2014, 03:59:07 PM »
Hmm...I mean, Obadiah took what Tony had created, the puzzle was already complete when he simply added to it. I dunno, it's probably the comic book geek in me bleeding through but it isn't as if Obadiah is some layman, he's a cunning adversary; he's also no Tony Stark. No Stark, no Iron Monger. Granted, this wasn't easily conveyed in the movie, that Obadiah is a badass...he just looks like a businessman, but it isn't a stretch to say that the man behind the curtain of Stark Industries before Tony took control needed to be cunning and smart, and he certainly is.

I loved it, but I can see how it could seem careless. It's completely conceivable to me though. I think he's one of the better MCU villains despite him being used as a stepping stone (his full story is one of my favorites as well). But yeah, then IM2 (and for as much as I REALLY WANT to like IM3) screwed up the format with some...throwaway 3rd-string mofos as villains. I actually thought Whiplash was a cool concept but god damn it do I hate Rourke as an actor (well...till The Wrestler). That fucking accent, I wanted to tape his mouth shut the entire movie.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1565 on: August 04, 2014, 08:38:53 PM »
Just got back from seeing Guardians again.  So good!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1566 on: August 04, 2014, 09:37:02 PM »
I agree that all the villains in the MCU are pretty lame, other than Loki. Even with Thanos I wasn't in awe. It's a shame - the other aspects of the films are really something. But not the villains. Hopefully they turn this trend around.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1567 on: August 05, 2014, 06:43:01 AM »
They haven't done a fantastic job of disclosing why Thanos is to be feared, or how big a villain he is.  That was OK with The Avengers, because the heroes don't even know about him yet, and it was just a cameo.  But they could have given a little of his backstory in Guardians, since he was actually part of the film (briefly) and those characters seemed to know about him.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1568 on: August 05, 2014, 06:45:14 AM »
They haven't done a fantastic job of disclosing why Thanos is to be feared, or how big a villain he is.  That was OK with The Avengers, because the heroes don't even know about him yet, and it was just a cameo.  But they could have given a little of his backstory in Guardians, since he was actually part of the film (briefly) and those characters seemed to know about him.

Yeah I agree. You get the picture that the other baddies and characters in Guardians are afraid of Thanos, but you don't actually get any ideas WHY.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1569 on: August 05, 2014, 08:13:36 AM »
I will say that seeing it a second time had me paying more attention to Ronan, and he did drop some info on why he had such a bad attitude.  The problem was that it was in passing, and not in much detail, but it's there.

Kind of like the Loki/dark energy line in The Avengers.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #1570 on: August 05, 2014, 09:50:42 PM »
Just saw Guardians today in IMAX 3D and really enjoyed it.

"Nothing goes over my head. My reflexes are too quick. I would catch it."

:lol

...my name is Araragi.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1571 on: August 05, 2014, 09:54:24 PM »
Just got back from the drive in.  Movie rocks.  Great sense of humor but it was also great to see the team come together.  Lightning was going on like crazy the last half hour and that even make the experience better!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1572 on: August 06, 2014, 10:16:20 AM »
Do not call me a thesaurus.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1573 on: August 06, 2014, 04:43:29 PM »
Finally saw it yesterday. My favorite Marvel movie yet, and one of the best uses of songs in a movie I've ever seen. Went out and bought the soundtrack to get those songs this morning. Just a great, funny, exciting, fun movie.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1574 on: August 07, 2014, 07:08:47 AM »
They must have gotten my dick message!