Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*  (Read 296659 times)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: Marvel's Movie Universe *SPOILERS*
« Reply #1470 on: July 18, 2014, 11:00:49 PM »
I don't know man, there's been a lot of good design decisions lately in regards to female super heroes. Check out the new Bat Girl design, it fucking rules.

Batgirl's new design  and the new Thor are a good start.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1471 on: July 19, 2014, 01:04:02 AM »
It almost reeks of desperation from their part. I agree that we could use more female heroes, but instead of creating new and interesting ones, they take the lazy route and just change one of their most iconic. It's on par with how they changed Peter Parker to Miles Morales in the Spider-Man universe. I don't mind the comic book artists experimenting and doing crazy shit for like a small story arc or two, but when they change an iconic character and claim "its permanent".. I just don't see the point.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1472 on: July 19, 2014, 03:20:46 AM »
Yeah, I'd also prefer they just create new and interesting female characters who are awesome in their own right. Same with any other "minority" group in comics.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1473 on: July 19, 2014, 03:39:43 AM »
If you can't create a strong female character on their own, you just take an already existing and popular male character, rework them to a female character and there's already a fanbase from the previous incarnations.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1474 on: July 19, 2014, 05:12:25 AM »
Back to the MOVIE universe, response to early viewings of Guardians of the Galaxy appears to be overwhelmingly positive.  Can't wait for that one!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1475 on: July 19, 2014, 06:01:12 AM »
I think Guardians of the Galaxy could prove to be one of the better Marvel movies, or at least one of the more fun ones. We'll probably also get tons of info about Avengers 2 on Comic Con which is coming soon, so that's nice too.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1476 on: July 19, 2014, 06:34:45 AM »
We've already gotten more than I would have expected to get this far in advance.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1477 on: July 19, 2014, 09:17:59 AM »
Back to the MOVIE universe, response to early viewings of Guardians of the Galaxy appears to be overwhelmingly positive.  Can't wait for that one!
Back when GotG was in it's preliminary stages, I thought it was the worst possible idea that Marvel could have a for a film. Seeing those first trailers gave me a lot of faith in the filmmakers with regards to the story and the tone.

I can't wait to see it now. This is the movie I've been looking forward to all this summer. :)

EDIT:
I don't know man, there's been a lot of good design decisions lately in regards to female super heroes. Check out the new Bat Girl design, it fucking rules.

Batgirl's new design  and the new Thor are a good start.
Yeah, those aren't bad looking and the little I saw of Thor's wasn't bad either. Hopefully it stays that way. Call me cynical but I just don't trust the comic book industry to not fuck this up in some way.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1478 on: July 19, 2014, 01:13:55 PM »
So will she be Thor or Thoria or Thora or Thorina or Thoriqua?
Just Thor.

Just thinking about it, this pretty par for the course with regards to comics. Characters regularly die, come back to life, were never actually dead, were clones, fake their deaths, break their backs or are rebooted into alternate timelines or histories or whatever so I don't find this too out of the ordinary and giving female readers another character to latch onto is probably the least worst reason for a reboot.
Yeah, but leave it to people who admittedly don't care about comics to suddenly care about this. I think it's cool they're switching things up sometimes, and let's face it, just creating new characters that will never have the same audience as their old ones is only one of the ways to contribute to kids reading comics having more heroes who look like them to look up to, and it's not the most efficient way by any means.

If it doesn't work, god knows they can switch back.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1479 on: July 19, 2014, 03:28:31 PM »
Just Thor.

Just thinking about it, this pretty par for the course with regards to comics. Characters regularly die, come back to life, were never actually dead, were clones, fake their deaths, break their backs or are rebooted into alternate timelines or histories or whatever so I don't find this too out of the ordinary and giving female readers another character to latch onto is probably the least worst reason for a reboot.
Yeah, but leave it to people who admittedly don't care about comics to suddenly care about this. I think it's cool they're switching things up sometimes, and let's face it, just creating new characters that will never have the same audience as their old ones is only one of the ways to contribute to kids reading comics having more heroes who look like them to look up to, and it's not the most efficient way by any means.

So because I don't read comics, I'm not allowed to have an opinion?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1480 on: July 19, 2014, 04:51:23 PM »
Just Thor.

Kind of, because then you'd know that's not even close to the weirdest stuff that happened in comics to characters.

Comic books have always followed trends, and the current trend is allowing everyone to feel represented as the big main character. I think it's great for kids and may it last long. You're allowed to have a different opinion, but "OMG they're changing established characters just for the shit of it" is pretty much an established practice in comics.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1481 on: July 19, 2014, 04:59:39 PM »
That's a good point. Let's face it, the only reason Captain America exists at all is because the trends at the time.

EDIT: I would still prefer them to create new characters though. That would say to me "we're taking this seriously, we're creating a diverse range of characters and situations". I appreciate this sort of thing is not uncommon, but it does stink of "we need to meet a quota".

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1482 on: July 19, 2014, 05:03:55 PM »
Just Thor.

Kind of, because then you'd know that's not even close to the weirdest stuff that happened in comics to characters.

Comic books have always followed trends, and the current trend is allowing everyone to feel represented as the big main character. I think it's great for kids and may it last long. You're allowed to have a different opinion, but "OMG they're changing established characters just for the shit of it" is pretty much an established practice in comics.

That's basically the same notion as I don't play guitar so I shouldn't critique or comment on someone's playing.

If I decided one day to change Zook into a female character, that would be weird and stupid. He's always been male.... If you're confused, Zook is an alien character I created 20 years ago. I've used that name for most everything needing a username.

If only I could still draw...

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1483 on: July 19, 2014, 05:11:01 PM »
I would still prefer them to create new characters though. That would say to me "we're taking this seriously, we're creating a diverse range of characters and situations". I appreciate this sort of thing is not uncommon, but it does stink of "we need to meet a quota".
I'd like that too, but I just don't see many people caring about newer comics the way they care about longer-running ones. We don't even have a popular thread for the older running ones around here, either! I could be wrong, though.

That's basically the same notion as I don't play guitar so I shouldn't critique or comment on someone's playing.
It's more like never listening to Yngwie Malmsteen, then seeing a review about him doing an(other) album with 2 solos per song and going "omg isn't it stupid that this dude feels the need to record so many solos on one album, am I right?", when it's kind of his thing. :biggrin:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1484 on: July 19, 2014, 05:39:42 PM »
Just for the record, I have read quite a few comics in my life, but it was never an ongoing thing cuz aint nobody got time for that.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1485 on: July 19, 2014, 10:20:16 PM »
Same. I would really love to read comics, but I have so much other shit I enjoy doing that takes far less time.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1486 on: July 19, 2014, 10:24:56 PM »
How much I read comics for me depends on how close I am to a comic store, and if I remember to order from Amazon. Right now I haven't ordered or bought much, because fuck I spent a lot of money on music related things (albums, bonnaroo, etc) but I like to keep up with comics.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1487 on: July 20, 2014, 05:01:04 AM »
I stay abreast of what's happening in the comics, but I don't have the time or money to do it like I used to.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1488 on: July 20, 2014, 10:55:39 AM »
Anyone who thinks we will have a female Thor in the comics when Avengers 2 comes out hasn't read comics-particularly Marvel Comics-for years. Marvel's been doing status quo changes with their characters that revert when a movie is about to come out for years, going back to when they "killed" Captain America and replaced him with Bucky, only to bring him back around the time the first Cap movie came back. Anyone remember how Doctor Octopus had taken over Spider-Man's body and Peter Parker was really, truly, welp yes he's dead only to revert to the status quo when Amazing Spider-Man 2 came out?

This and Sam Wilson becoming Cap is business as usual for comics. And they wonder why people who watch the movies don't flock to the comics. It's because the comics are frigging unrecognizable to them.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1489 on: July 20, 2014, 05:37:01 PM »
I stay abreast of what's happening in the comics, but I don't have the time or money to do it like I used to.
It's funny cuz Thor has breasts now.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1490 on: July 20, 2014, 10:15:01 PM »
It's funny cuz Thor has breasts now.
Son of a bitch stole my line.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1491 on: July 23, 2014, 09:29:51 PM »
So my mom had a good question about Thor. Why couldn't they just rebuild the rainbow bridge? I'm sure a good reason exists; I'm just not aware of it. I mean, Loki flat-out said "You'll never see her again!" implying that it couldn't be rebuilt.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1492 on: July 23, 2014, 10:49:47 PM »
Anyone who hasn't seen The Avengers or Thor 2 might want to skip this, as it could contain a bit of a spoiler. 

Last panel: 'Retrieve the Tesseract at all costs.  Only with its power can we rebuild the Bifrost...'  Enter Avengers.  Enter Thor 2. 

They could have explained this better in the films themselves, though. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1493 on: July 24, 2014, 12:36:37 AM »
Yeah, Thor suddenly being back on Earth would have been an 85% more believable convenience had they used any of that dialogue in the Avengers movie.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1494 on: July 24, 2014, 12:52:01 AM »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1495 on: July 24, 2014, 06:53:57 AM »
Those damned bastards, undermining the holy right-hand suprimacy!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1496 on: July 24, 2014, 09:46:17 AM »
They gave a nod to it.  Loki asked Thor how much dark energy Odin had to harness to send him there.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1497 on: July 24, 2014, 12:08:36 PM »
They gave a nod to it.  Loki asked Thor how much dark energy Odin had to harness to send him there.

:clap:
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1498 on: July 24, 2014, 12:53:17 PM »

Good catch.  I missed that.  But that being said, the fact that it could so easily be missed kinda supports that it was a fairly useless bit of dialog without some additional context.  A very short dialog along the lines of what was in that storyboard would have explained it brilliantly instead of leaving what looks like a plot hole. 

But then again, they probably figured they didn't need to, since the vast majority of viewers either wouldn't care that there was an apparent minor plot hole or wouldn't even notice to begin with.  I fit into the former category.  Noticed it, but didn't really care because it was minor and could easily be explained away by any number of scenarios Marvel could come up with.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1499 on: July 24, 2014, 02:54:46 PM »
Good catch.  I missed that. ...  I fit into the former category.  Noticed it

I is confused.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1500 on: July 24, 2014, 02:56:10 PM »
He noticed the plothole, but not the bit of dialogue that served to fill it.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1501 on: July 24, 2014, 04:24:05 PM »
I am on brain again.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1502 on: July 25, 2014, 08:38:22 AM »

Good catch. 
Well, I've seen the movie probably 40 times, so if I hadn't caught it by now, I should be kicked in the face.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1503 on: July 25, 2014, 03:52:37 PM »
*kicks hef in the face*
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1504 on: July 25, 2014, 04:23:39 PM »
*also kicks hef in the face*