Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*  (Read 298668 times)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: Marvel's Movie Universe *SPOILERS*
« Reply #1330 on: April 04, 2014, 04:19:04 AM »
Just got back home from my midnight screening. Without any spoilers.....Captain America: The Winter Soldier is not only the best film in the Phase 2 collection thus far, but it is the best film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. "But what about The Avengers?"  As much hype as Avengers has received, i thought it seriously fell short in the second act. Winter Soldier had a beginning, middle, and end that was very well written! The Russo Brothers, who directed my favorite episodes of Community, delivered!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1331 on: April 04, 2014, 04:38:56 AM »
Nice!  That dovetails with a lot of advance word I've heard about the film.  I'll be catching it this weekend.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1332 on: April 04, 2014, 05:23:14 AM »
Me too. Heading out to see it Saturday night with the jingle.kids. Jungle.daughter is turning into quite the marvel fan.  She's obsessed with Agents of SHIELD, and bugged the crap out of me to get Thor 2 on Blu Ray.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1333 on: April 04, 2014, 05:33:46 AM »
Me too. Heading out to see it Saturday night with the jingle.kids. Jungle.daughter is turning into quite the marvel fan.  She's obsessed with Agents of SHIELD, and bugged the crap out of me to get Thor 2 on Blu Ray.

That is awesome.  We are seeing the Capt. movie in Imax Sunday.  can't wait.  BTW the last SHIELD episode was awesome!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1334 on: April 04, 2014, 07:30:46 AM »
I saw The Winter Soldier almost 2 weeks ago and it is indeed pretty good. Maybe not as good as Avengers, but top3 after Avengers and Iron Man I would say. And I don't even consider myself the biggest Marvel-fan, I would say only 3-4 of their movies have been really good, with the rest being pretty enjoyable for the moment, but not something I've rewatched.

Still, I'm way more excited for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and X-Men Days of Future Past, they look epic. Even Guardians of the Galaxy will be cool probably.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1335 on: April 04, 2014, 02:59:28 PM »
Definitely looking forward to Guardians.  I could care less about Spidey and X-Men.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1336 on: April 04, 2014, 08:34:12 PM »
Definitely looking forward to Guardians.  I couldn't care less about Spidey and X-Men.

:huh:

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1337 on: April 04, 2014, 09:19:32 PM »
I thought Guardians looked sounded incredibly dumb when it was first announced but the trailers make it look like the film-makers know just how batshit stupid the entire idea is and are totally going with it.

Spider-Man 2.... I'll probably see it, but I'm not that psyched. The first one was better than it had any right to be but it still wasn't that great. X-Men looks like it's going to be a giant clusterfuck of epic proportions. I hope it proves me wrong though because I love the X-Men.

Hopefully I'm going to see Cap'n 'Murika tomorrow night. I've been looking forward to it for a couple of months now and it's been a while since I've been to the theater to see a movie. The beginning of the year sucks.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1338 on: April 05, 2014, 03:40:48 AM »
Saw The Winter Soldiers last night. It was pretty good, not as amazing as some people has said but definetely a good super hero movie.

I'm not looking forward to Spider-Man very much, but I guess I'll see that as well. X-Men however just looks more and more awesome for every trailer.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1339 on: April 05, 2014, 07:46:21 AM »
I'm really enjoying Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. It just gets better and better! We're a bit behind in the UK though, as Channel 4 wanted to air the second half of the season all in one go, rather than have loads of random breaks like in the US.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1340 on: April 05, 2014, 07:57:03 AM »
The last 3-4 episodes of Agents have been an incredible improvement over the opening episodes.  I'm really glad I stuck with this, it's turning into a great action-thriller series.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1341 on: April 05, 2014, 08:03:06 AM »
I'm really enjoying Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. It just gets better and better! We're a bit behind in the UK though, as Channel 4 wanted to air the second half of the season all in one go, rather than have loads of random breaks like in the US.
That's too bad, because apparently there will be some significance in watching this week's episode, then Captain America:The Winter Soldier, then next week's episode, in that order.

But yes, I've enjoyed it all season, and it has really improved in the last several episodes.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1342 on: April 05, 2014, 09:02:33 AM »
I watched the first 5 or 6 episodes of Agents of SHIELD but then I gave up. Quality of the show aside, I quickly realized that I really don't care. Take the super heroes away and the excitement is gone. I was also hoping for more tie-ins with the movies, but understandably they can't do as much as I had hoped for.

« Reply #1343 on: April 05, 2014, 09:53:34 AM »
I gave up on Agents of Shield after its somewhat long break about three to four months ago, not out of any conscious decision but, when it came back, I just didn't care. It's not the worst show I've watched, but given the movies, the source material, and the creators, it was just disappointing. The characters were largely bland (although I liked May), the acting unimpressive, the tie-ins half-assed, and the writing was mostly lazy. As a concept, it had potential but they just didn't do anything interesting with it. It's really telling when the pilot is the best executed episode of the series.

If it's gotten better, that's good, but I don't know if I can muster up enough caring to start watching again on the off chance that it might be interesting now. There's too much good TV out there that's either airing right now or that I've never seen before to spend time on mediocrity.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1344 on: April 05, 2014, 10:03:19 AM »
when I read post like yours TKIC, it reminds me of TV shows like Seinfeld & The Simpsons but you've got to give them time. Just like bands and their early releases.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

« Reply #1345 on: April 05, 2014, 10:30:59 AM »
when I read post like yours TKIC, it reminds me of TV shows like Seinfeld & The Simpsons but you've got to give them time. Just like bands and their early releases.
That's fair, but even shows like The Simpsons, Seinfeld or Fringe, which all had lower than average quality first seasons, managed to have something commendable about them after twelve episodes or at least some reason to continue watching. Aside from the ties in to the movie franchise, I really can't think of anything that makes me want to watch Agents anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I've poo-pooed plenty of shows after two or three episodes for various reasons at the time (Revolution comes to mind) and I've also given a lot of shows enough time to grow on me beyond the initial few first episodes that I was largely ambivalent about (Mad Men) so I do get that each show needs a chance to find its feet or establish something substantial about itself before passing judgement. The question is, how much time does that take? Some shows find their feet relatively quickly, others take a season or maybe even more. But at that point, should I continue investing time in a show that offers little to no gratification in the hopes that maybe it will get better... sometime, somewhere?

IMO, twelve or so episodes is a sufficient amount of time for a show to find its voice.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1346 on: April 05, 2014, 10:32:25 AM »
I would have agreed with you but the last 3 episodes have been dynamite.

« Reply #1347 on: April 05, 2014, 10:39:44 AM »
Maybe I'll give it another shot when I'm caught up on other television then though I cannot remember what the last episode I watched was. I think it was the one where Coulson was abducted or something?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1348 on: April 05, 2014, 11:05:02 AM »
Yup. there are answers to how he was brought back to life but why he was is not answered.

My DVR is on overdrive right now.  I need to loosen my schedule! :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1349 on: April 05, 2014, 01:22:28 PM »
Maybe I'll give it another shot when I'm caught up on other television then though I cannot remember what the last episode I watched was. I think it was the one where Coulson was abducted or something?

It's too bad you gave up at that point... that's just when business started to pick up.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1350 on: April 05, 2014, 03:24:52 PM »
I don't understand the complaints about SHIELD, and I don't know why people are expecting bombast on the level of the movies. TV is an entirely different beast, with slow character development and story arcs.

That's too bad, because apparently there will be some significance in watching this week's episode, then Captain America:The Winter Soldier, then next week's episode, in that order.
Yeah I think we're around 2-3 episodes behind at the moment, but Winter Soldier has been released at the same time. I don't really mind though, I'm assuming the timings don't need to be all that exact.

But yes, I've enjoyed it all season, and it has really improved in the last several episodes.
Likewise, I've enjoyed it since the start. As with many shows, it started more episodic while the characters, settings etc. were established, and now it's becoming more of a serial. As such, I think it's really picking up steam.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1351 on: April 05, 2014, 06:25:16 PM »
Holy shit, Captain America :The Winter Soldier was awesome!

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1352 on: April 05, 2014, 07:25:23 PM »
Sebastian Stann owned that role!! I have to concur with the people saying Winter Soldier is the best Marvel film yet!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1353 on: April 05, 2014, 07:53:12 PM »
It was fantastic, certainly either the best or second best.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1354 on: April 05, 2014, 08:12:09 PM »

I'll put it 2nd behind The Avengers.  Best of Phase 2 so far.  Each movie has gotten progressively better.  I'm just kinda bummed we have to wait 13 months for another Marvel movie with any Avengers cast.  I'm still dumbfounded as to why they aren't building a Hulk franchise?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1355 on: April 05, 2014, 08:14:18 PM »
Can't wait to see it tomorrow!

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1356 on: April 05, 2014, 08:39:23 PM »

I'll put it 2nd behind The Avengers.  Best of Phase 2 so far.  Each movie has gotten progressively better.  I'm just kinda bummed we have to wait 13 months for another Marvel movie with any Avengers cast.  I'm still dumbfounded as to why they aren't building a Hulk franchise?
You and me both!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1357 on: April 05, 2014, 09:00:15 PM »
According to Joss Whedon, characters who haven't been seen since The Avengers, like Hulk and Hawkeye, will have larger roles in Avengers :Age of Ultron.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1358 on: April 05, 2014, 09:10:30 PM »
I have a gut feeling that Age of Ultron is going to set up a Planet Hulk movie

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1359 on: April 05, 2014, 09:14:09 PM »

I concur. I'm not hugely into this stuff, but saw it today with some friends and loved it. And laughed my ass off at "The path of the righteous man..."
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1360 on: April 05, 2014, 09:40:02 PM »
I have a gut feeling that Age of Ultron is going to set up a Planet Hulk movie
It would be cool if they do that. And then Avengers 3 could be World War Hulk.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1361 on: April 05, 2014, 10:09:35 PM »
Planet Hulk/World War Hulk was awesome
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1362 on: April 06, 2014, 03:20:40 AM »

I concur. I'm not hugely into this stuff, but saw it today with some friends and loved it. And laughed my ass off at "The path of the righteous man..."
Yeah, I almost fell out of my seat laughing so hard.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1363 on: April 06, 2014, 05:15:32 AM »

Damn... I totally missed it.  What scene was that?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1364 on: April 06, 2014, 05:19:20 AM »

Damn... I totally missed it.  What scene was that?
SPOILERS

On Nick Fury's gravestone was this quote: "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. - Ezekiel 25:17"  Which, of course, was Jackson's catch phrase from Pulp Fiction.