Author Topic: Jirpo's Iron Maiden Top 50  (Read 18743 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jirpo's Iron Maiden Top 50
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2011, 08:33:33 AM »
Just noticed how low TTLBLAH is.  I swear, if Dream of Mirrors is ranked above it I will rage.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2011, 06:19:43 AM »
An update full of rockers!

32. Different World
This rocker is criminally underrated! Maidens album openers have been amazing for the past decade (I'm going to count Rainmaker instead of Wildest Dreams :p). This song, like the rest of them, features great riffing and an awesome solo. The lyrical topic is more social-based, different from the war-based lyrics in the rest of the album. Bruce is awesome once again, and the "Don't wanna be here, somewhere I'd rather be" is my favourite part vocally. He really lifts himself there. I love the solos on Maiden's short rockers aswell. If nothing else, you know the rockers from the reunion era are at least consistent :)

31. Mother of Mercy

I'm guessing this pick will be fairly controversial, as it got eliminated pretty early on in the survivor. Anyway, this was the first song that caught my attention from The Final Frontier. The intro (first 2 or so minutes) of this song are my favourite part, featuring some awesome vocal melodies that aren't repeated enough to get boring. The guitar work helps the mood, and eventually the song explodes into heaviness. The chorus is awesome, as is the guitar solo. The ending is another highlight, a pretty unusual Maiden ending with the vocals kind of building up to something then dying off. The lyrics are interesting and well-written too. This one plays out like a mini-Paschendale.

30. The Number of the Beast
Into the top 30 we go, with one of Maiden's most iconic tracks. As soon as the guitar intro comes in, you know you are in for something special. That tune just seems to lift you up, it has such a magical feeling to it. Bruce's vocals are incredible here, conveying a sense of mysticism and power. The lyrics aren't great, but they can be easily ignored in this song, and I don't feel it lets down the song very much. The two solos are awesome, and the ending is actually pretty similar to Mother of Mercy, but it has more of a feeling of gradually building down. This one has been a live staple since 1982, and for good reason. It works fantastically live, and always gets the crowd going for an encore.

13. Fear of the Dark
This album is better than No Prayer because it has a couple more good songs. However, the falls are worse than No Prayer in my opinion, so even though it just edges over, it has far more good tracks (Childhood's End, Judas Be My Guide, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Be Quick or Be Dead, Wasting Love, Fear of the Dark). Bruce continues in his raspy style, which doesn't do nearly as much for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2011, 06:24:04 AM »
Interesting picks.  Mother of Mercy probably wouldn't be in my top 80 let alone 50, Number of the Beast wouldn't be in my top 50 either.  Also FOTD is a top 5 Maiden album for me.  Look forward to seeing the rest of the list.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2011, 06:29:08 AM »
Interesting that you like FOTD so much. Where would you rank Different World?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2011, 06:30:44 AM »
Interesting that you like FOTD so much. Where would you rank Different World?

I think I'd have it number 40 - 45.  Good song, with a different pre chorus type section for Maiden, amazing H solo too.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2011, 06:47:34 AM »
Wow, Mother of mercy in top 35, very interesting. The others are definitely worth being in there, though.  ;D

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2011, 06:15:39 AM »
29. The Clansman
The fan favourite from Virtual XI, and for good reason. This track has a great buildup. Blaze starts by singing very softly, almost in the background, before getting louder and eventually bursting out with a headbanging "FREEDOM!". I always feel like punching my fist in the air at the chorus :D The guitar work here is good, both solos, melodies and clean guitar. One of the few longer songs I find that has the ability to carry a lot of energy whilst remaining "epic". Another track I think is built for Blaze's voice, particularly the "FREEDOM!"s.

28. Strange World

This track is rediculously underrated, and its one of my favourites from the debut. Its still growing on me heavily, and I imagine if you asked me in a few months it would be higher still. This one just has a different feeling to any other song I've encountered. It just feels... strange somehow :p The clean guitar at the start sets the mood, and the guitar solo at the start is amazing, same with the one in the middle. Both of these count as some of my favourite Maiden solos and my favourite all-time. The best guitar solo Dennis Stratton did in Maiden in my opinion. I wonder if this one would be better with Bruce, and I think if he nailed it could be in the top 20. Paul does a fine job however, and his vocals enhance that wierd feeling the song has. The final thing that enhances the strange feeling is the lyrics, parts like "Living here, you'll never grow old". Fantastic song.

27. Rime of the Ancient Mariner

:o Shock and horror! The beloved Rime not even in the top 25! This pick I'm sure will be fairly blasphemous. Anyway, to be perfectly honest, the reason it is so low is the first part does not connect with me that well. There are times when I love it, and the song would be higher - I love playing along to it on guitar, but when I'm just listening I can't get that same feeling. However, its still a solid section, the middle part is great too, Steve creates a great sense of forboding and the buildup to "Down in falls comes the RAAAAAIIIIIINNNN!" is my favourite Maiden moment. One of my favourite solos follows, under which runs a fantastic riff, probably my favourite riff ever under a solo. The ending is also pretty solid. If the whole song was as good as the buildup after the middle section, it would probably be #1, or at the least in my top 3. But I've never connected with this song as much as probably some others have. Maybe in the future the rest of it will click for me. The story is awesome too.

12. Dance of Death

This is the last of the "bad" Maiden albums in my opinion. The only blemish to the reunion era, this album simply contains too much filler to be considered one of Maiden's better albums.  However, it does have a few of the bands best songs - Paschendale, and Rainmaker, as well as some other classics in the title track and No More Lies. It's simply too inconsistent as an album to be ranked any higher. And the cover art is horrible  :tdwn
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 08:02:58 AM by Jirpo »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2011, 06:27:02 AM »
Nice work with Strange World, such an underrated song, great guitars.  I'm actualyl quite happy with where you have placed Mariner.  I reckon I'd find 25 songs I like more than it too.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2011, 08:01:24 AM »
Did you skip number twelve?

The songs you picked are great.  :tup

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2011, 08:03:13 AM »
Woops yeah, I meant it to be #12, thanks for that.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2011, 02:50:43 PM »
Props to you, Jirpo, for bringing up Strange World.  It's quite the gem off of that first album.

Um, I have a question: when yer done with yer countdown, may I have permission to do one of my own?

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2011, 08:14:31 PM »
That isn't my decision, but I assume you would of course be allowed to :) I would be interested to see it.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2011, 09:20:03 PM »
3 great songs I'm glad are on the list.  All might possibly be around here or h perhaps igher on my list.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2011, 11:37:28 PM »
The clansman is the pinnacle of the Blaze era in my opinion so, I'll be interested in seeing if any more of his songs make the list.

About the strange world guitar solos, I'm nearly 100% positive those are Dave Murray's work. The solo towards the beggining could be argued either way but, the solo in the middle is most definately classic DM.

I'm OK with your placement of Rime but, that might depend on where other songs end up placing on the list higher.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2011, 12:05:02 AM »
I thought the one at the start was Dennis Stratton, but I could be wrong.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2011, 12:53:55 AM »
I thought the one at the start was Dennis Stratton, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, it could be but, the overall guitar tone really sounds like DM to me. I'm definately not as sure on that one as I am on the later solo.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2011, 05:35:02 AM »
First solo is definitely Stratton and the middle one is Dave.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2011, 06:32:48 AM »
26. Lord of Light
This song was a large grower for me, much like The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, but it has grown to be a better song in my eyes. The intro sets a great mood and the main riff is awesome :metal Bruce does a great job vocally here with one of the best performances on the album, which is already swelling with great vocals. The lyrics are also great on this song, much like the rest of the album as well. This track is something different for Maiden, and it seems to be kind of a prelude to "Starblind" musically.

25. Satellite 15... The Final Frontier
Into the top half of the countdown we go, with a pick I'm guessing will be pretty controversial. Seeing this song live really gave me a great appreciation for it, though honestly it would be pretty high on my list already. It just works great live, especially with the intro playing over the speakers, then the band jumps on to start the riff. The intro took a while to grow on me, but it was well worth it in the end. It creates a great sense of atmosphere. The second half just ROCKS! The riffing is awesome, the solo is incredible and Bruce sounds great. I was a bit wierded out the first time I listened to this song, but when the riff kicked in I knew it was gonna be a great album. The song tells a fun story aswell.

24. Caught Somewhere in Time
Finally, a pick I'm sure most people will agree with. This is one of Maiden's best album openers, and it couldn't have opened Somewhere in Time in a better way. The guitar tune at the start gives me a sense of the ethereal and fantasy. I love that feeling. The verses are awesome and Bruce's vocals when he belts out the "CAAAAUUUUGGHHHT SOOOMEWHEEEEERREE IN TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMEEEE" are some of my favourite Maiden vocal sections. The solos are fantastic aswell. I would really love to see this one live one day, its one of my most wanted tunes to see live.

11. The Number of the Beast

This is where there is a huge gap in the album countdown, because I find The Number of the Beast far superior to Dance of Death. All the albums from here to #6 are pretty well even. Anyway, this one has some huge classics but is let down my some of Maiden's weakest songs (Invaders, Gangland). A few just above-average songs (Run to the Hills, 22 Acacia Avenue, Total Eclipse) land it at the bottom of this pile of albums.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2011, 06:33:17 AM »
CSIT :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2011, 06:35:30 AM »
Whoa to number 25.  I like Lord of Light, but I don't think I'd put it nearly that high.  CSIT should be higher IMO.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2011, 11:42:57 AM »
22 is my favorite song from NOTB...ouch!!!

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2011, 02:21:48 PM »
The clansman is the pinnacle of the Blaze era in my opinion so, I'll be interested in seeing if any more of his songs make the list.
No way.  It's the easiest Blaze epic to get into, but there's plenty of room for more from those two albums on this list.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2011, 02:30:23 PM »
some of Maiden's weakest songs (Invaders

I will never understand why so many Maiden fans dislike this song so much. It's fast, heavy, energetic, and a terrific album opener.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2011, 03:39:17 PM »
Fucking amen on Caught Somewhere in Time!

No amen on NOTB being #11!  That album is one of their finest! 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2011, 03:51:04 PM »

I will never understand why so many Maiden fans dislike this song so much. It's fast, heavy, energetic, and a terrific album opener.

This.  I've always loved it too.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2011, 03:51:51 PM »

This.  I've always loved it too.

I'd say it's easily one of their strongest openers!

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2011, 08:55:07 PM »
Ughh. The intro and first verse are pretty good, but the chorus just ruins it for me.

The only competition it would have in the openers category for worst for me is Wildest Dreams, and maybe The Ides of March.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2011, 09:00:48 PM »
Invaders is awesome. That is all.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2011, 11:54:53 PM »
CSiT is 23 spots too low.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2011, 02:57:41 AM »
Ooh, 25!  :tup

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2011, 05:27:31 AM »

23. To Tame a Land
Piece of Mind has a lot of classics, and this is one of them. The song gives off a middle-eastern vibe, especially with the lyrics being about the desert. I can't really relate to the lyrics as I've never read "Dune", but it doesn't reduce my enjoyment of the song one bit. The guitar work in this song is exceptional, with many awesome leads and melodies. This is also one of Steve's best performances ever too, his bass is just phenomenal in this track, giving a sense of building up to something which is released by the guitars. Bruce puts in a good performance, and the instrumental second half is great.

22. Phantom of the Opera
I really don't know how this one ended up so low, as I love this track. Everything about it is really perfect - awesome guitar leads, and Paul's vocals which suit this track well in my opinion. This track is just a juggernaut, and I expect it to move up in my list fairly soon. It also has one of Maiden's best guitar solos in what is also one of their best instrumental sections (I might go as far to say second to Powerslave). I'm starting to feel now that I misplaced this one, and it should be higher on my list :p

21. Still Life
The last entry before we get into the top 20, here is another classic from Piece of Mind, although probably the least lauded out of the 6 classic tracks. Anyway, this song is short but I wouldn't really class it as a "rocker". It has an excellent flow and some of Maiden's best vocal melodies, pretty much throughout the whole song. The solo is awesome aswell. The melodies at the start are awesome, and the lyrics tell an interesting story. I was always fascinated by those pools in The Lord of the Rings. I can't really think of too much else to say about this track, so I'm gonna leave it there.

10. Virtual XI

This is a really solid and severely underrated album. I agree Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger and The Angel and the Gambler are blown out a bit, but everything else rules. Futureal is an awesome opener, The Clansman just rules and Lightning Strikes Twice, When Two Worlds Collide and Como Estai Amigos really complete the album.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2011, 05:32:41 AM »
Though I could never imagine preferring XI over any maiden album, I do agree that all 3 of the songs you picked are awesome; props to you fir giving credit to TTAL and SL. Majorly underrated tunes.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2011, 05:41:55 AM »
Nice pick with Still Life, one of Maiden's most underrated.  The other two are classics of course.

Virtual XI is amazing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2011, 06:50:39 AM »
Nice pick with Still Life, one of Maiden's most underrated.  The other two are classics of course.

Virtual XI is really good.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2011, 03:49:11 AM »
Into the top 20!

20. Mother Russia
This is an epic track from No Prayer for the Dying. This one echoes back to the previous albums title track, but surpasses it in my opinion. If this was about 9 minutes long with an extended instrumental section after this version finishes and then finishing off with another chorus it would probably be about #11 or #12. The melodies in this song are great, and the clean guitar bit with the choir in the background really enhances the epic feeling. The lyrics don't do too much for me but don't let the song down. The solo is awesome and Nicko's beat during that section is insane  :metal The ending is great too. Fantastic, underrated song.

19. The Clairvoyant
Another short but epic track, this one creates a feeling unlike any other song I've ever heard. The guitar lead at the start is one of my favourites ever, and Steve's work on this track is awesome. Bruce puts in a fantastic performance with both great vocal melodies and lyrics. Parts like "But for all her powers coudn't forsee her own demise" sound so powerful and emotional to me. This one is a great example of the "larger than life" feeling Maiden has on some of their songs :)