Author Topic: Jirpo's Iron Maiden Top 50  (Read 18740 times)

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jirpo's Iron Maiden Top 50
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2011, 01:16:20 AM »
I always get The Duellist and Flash of the Blade mixed up. :lol
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2011, 01:20:24 AM »
I used to do that too :p

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2011, 06:38:08 AM »
I always get The Duellist and Flash of the Blade mixed up. :lol

Yeah, that's fair, I always felt the two just belonged together.  I felt Losfer Words was similar too, it was almost like a battle swashbuckling trilogy type of thing.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2011, 06:41:42 AM »
I always laughed at Back In The Village. Seriously, Maiden singing about hen houses and chickens..WTF? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2011, 10:18:52 AM »
I always laughed at Back In The Village. Seriously, Maiden singing about hen houses and chickens..WTF? :lol

Woah there, that song is a total scorcher.  And actually a sequel to the Prisoner.  Vaguely. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2011, 04:48:04 PM »

Woah there, that song is a total scorcher.  And actually a sequel to the Prisoner.  Vaguely. 

Was it a sequel?  I thought they were just both about The Prisoner, not necessarily running into each other.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2011, 05:36:26 PM »

Was it a sequel?  I thought they were just both about The Prisoner, not necessarily running into each other.

I've always thought, well, that like The Prisoner's about the protagonist escaping, and BITV is about him coming back, (or actually flying back by bomber) and proceeding to burn the village to the ground.  Plus, it is called Back in the Village.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2011, 05:43:56 PM »
Makes sense.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
41. Fear of the Dark
A great song, but a tad overrated. Going on only live versions, this song would probably be top 10, but the studio version isn't nearly as good. It seems weird without the "oooohhhhs" at the start, and somehow less complete. Either way, still a great song, with a spooky intro before exploding into heaviness, which continues for the rest of the song. The chorus has a nice vocal melody, but it really comes into its own live, with the whole crowd singing along. In the studio version, I wish Bruce completely got rid of the raspy style of vocals he used on this and the previous album. They just don't work for a song like this in my opinion. There are some nice guitar melodies in the instrumental section aswell. Anyway, this is a great and fun song that never gets old when performed live.

40. Out of the Shadows

A fantastic ballad and possibly my favourite from the last decade by Maiden, simply everything is good about this song. The chorus features one of their best vocal melodies (although it is repeated slightly too often for my liking). The lyrics are fantastic, as are all the lyrics on the album, but this particular song is one of my favourites lyrically. I think the first verse is about life and the second about death. The little leads that H does at various parts of the song such as under the chorus are great, something that I've really loved of his during the last two albums (see: Starblind). His solo is great as always and a highlight of the song. My only gripe is that the chorus is repeated a few too many times near the end. If they just had a short instrumental section and then closed out, I would have liked the song even more :)

39. The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
This song features one of Bruce's all time best vocal performances, in my opinion. The way he sings "Theres a thin line between love and hate" is beautiful, aided a lot by the lead guitar underneath and Nicko's simple but excellent beat. (A lot of the choruses in the album were made better by this too, see the second repeat of each chorus in  "The Fallen Angel", and Nicko's nice drum beat in the second and third choruses of "Out of the Silent Planet"). My favourite vocal part however is the "I will hoooopppee! My soul will fllyyyyyy! And I will live foreeeeeeeevveer!". The instrumental section is fantastic, one of Maidens best, with a couple of great solos broken up with a fantastic guitar lead.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2011, 09:58:58 PM »
Thank you for having The Thin Line Between Love and Hate on here! :lol :tup  I love this song, my second favourite from Brave New World.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2011, 10:06:25 PM »
Woops, forgot an album update!

15. Killers
Killers is my least favourite album for several reasons. The first, and most obvious, is that the songs are simply not good enough to match up to other albums. Although some other albums have worse songs, they also have some gems that lift them above Killers. Another reason is that I think Di'Anno's voice does not suit this album as well as it did their debut, besides the title track. Overall, this album has some good songs but really overall it is just too weak.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2011, 10:06:57 PM »
interesting picks so far

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2011, 10:15:03 PM »
I totally disagree with you about Killers.

It's in my top 5 or 6.

I do say that the songs you picked out are great selections, though I'd say that Fear of the Dark is a top 10 song, live or studio. 

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2011, 10:24:05 PM »
Killers is a top 5 Maiden album for me.  When you say it is obvious the songs are not good enough... :tdwn

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2011, 10:30:32 PM »
I just meant for me, I know some people love Killers, and I'm sure there are people with it as their favourite Maiden album. But, I just don't like it :)

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2011, 10:34:17 PM »
Thank you for having The Thin Line Between Love and Hate on here! :lol :tup  I love this song, my second favourite from Brave New World.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Mladen

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2011, 02:35:26 AM »
Amazing to see appreciation for Out of the shadows.  :tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2011, 02:48:46 AM »
Killers has the title-track which is a top10 Maiden-song for me.
Apart from that, not many memorable songs, and I get the low pick.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2011, 03:28:29 AM »
Iron Maiden and Killers have the best energy out of the entire catalogue.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2011, 10:11:07 PM »
38. The Educated Fool
One of the stronger songs from a strong album, this is a very underrated gem. It features Blaze's best vocal melodies, as well as the best lyrics from the album. I really think this song was built for Blaze more than Bruce. There are some awesome guitar melodies in the instrumental section aswell. There isn't too much else I can say about this song. Its just a well-written, thoughtful song that loses points for Nicko's horrible performance across this entire album.

37. No More Lies
I was shocked when this one was eliminated early on in the survivor, because this is one of the best tracks from a rather poor album. The clean guitar intro is great, and I love the way it builds up to the chorus, which never seems to get repetitive for me. It really seems like it was built to be played live, with the crowd chanting along to the chorus. Vocal melodies in the verses are good aswell. The only song Steve wrote by himself on the album, and in my opinion he should have gone for some more.

36. Isle of Avalon
One of the better songs from the most recent studio album, I honestly have no idea how this one ended up so low on my list. Featuring one of Maiden's best clean intros with wind in the background, which really helps to set the scene. It builds up for a little while before it explodes with "Can you hear me? I can hear you...". The short vocal part that follows the chorus has never done much for me, but then H's solo arrives and carries me away. Its a fantastic solo, as they all are on this album, and leads into another soft passage similar to the intro, before exploding again with "Mother Earth! I can feel you". The guitar lead after the "post-chorus" is amazing and probably my favourite from the album. Then there is another vocal passage which repeats the melody of the post-chorus, and the guitar lead comes in halfway through. Total :metal moment! A shame they didn't play this live, I think it would be the best live song from the album. This song is still growing on me, and it probably should be in a higher position.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2011, 10:17:33 PM »
I'll definitely be following.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2011, 10:56:59 PM »
The Educated Fool... probably my favorite song off Virtual XI.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2011, 02:06:07 AM »
Great song indeed. Also,  :tup for Isle of Avalon.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2011, 03:32:09 AM »
Isle of Avalon would be much higher for me, still great to see it.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2011, 05:58:12 AM »
Good to hear Zantera! :)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2011, 06:02:52 AM »
The Educated Fool is one of Maiden's most underrated and I would probably have it higher.  Such an amazing song, very overlooked, nice to see it recognized Jirpo.

Isle of Avalon is a great one too, and I agree with NML, a great song that should have lasted a lot longer in the survivor.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2011, 08:23:54 AM »
I love The Educated Fool. I would love to see it ressurected with Bruce.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2011, 08:36:42 AM »
Great song indeed. Also,  :tup for Isle of Avalon.
This  Virtual XI really has some great songs for all it is lambasted.  Just cutting down the length of Angel and shortening that repeated section in Don't Look by about 70-80% would make it far stronger.

...but No More Lies is annoying.  One of the worst tracks on a poor album.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2011, 09:38:53 AM »
Flash of the Blade is way underrated, and Breeg never gets enough love.

However, Brave New World is too low and the only songs from 7th son I would put on my list if I made one are "Moonchild," "Infinite Dreams," "Evil That Men Do," and "The Clairvoyant."  I really dislike the title track and the album in general.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2011, 10:39:41 AM »
Flash of the Blade is way underrated, and Breeg never gets enough love.

However, Brave New World is too low and the only songs from 7th son I would put on my list if I made one are "Moonchild," "Infinite Dreams," "Evil That Men Do," and "The Clairvoyant."  I really dislike the title track and the album in general.

What is the root of your distaste of that album?

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2011, 06:25:46 AM »
Sorry about the wait, I was at my dads house and forgot the writeups and the list :(

Anyway, here we go.

35. Infinite Dreams
Here is another pretty controversial pick. Usually considered one of the best Maiden songs, and it was at one point close to my top 10, but I've listened to it a bit too much, and the melodies have faded a bit. The intro is still amazing, and Bruce is awesome during the intro as it builds up. Great vocal melody in the chorus. The guitar melody during the instrumental section is awesome, as well as the guitar solo. My favourite part would have to be the ending though ("Theres got to be more to it than this, or tell me why do we exist?"), probably my favourite part of the song. The lyrics in this song are very mysticism-based, like the rest of the album. One of the best songs from Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

34. Stranger in a Strange Land

This song is awesome, from the riff at the start, to the vocal melodies in the chorus and Adrians amazing solo, one of my favourite Maiden solos. I really dunno why this one ended up so low, must just be because Maiden have such a strong discography. The bridge before the second chorus is one of my favourite parts, which is repeated before the final chorus. This song really is another example of how Somewhere in Time really is Adrians album, and probably his best performance on an album (except maybe The Final Frontier).

33. Transylvania
My favourite Maiden instrumental, they are really good at these short instrumentals in my opinion. Transylvania has some awesome guitar work, from the melodies, riffs and solos, everything is exceptional. Steve is pretty good on the track and Clive Burr puts in a decent performance aswell. Very underrated song and one of my favourites from the debut album. This song just has so much energy to it, which the whole album carried in my opinion.

14. No Prayer for the Dying

Another pretty bad album in my opinion, with 6 or so filler songs. The only songs I actually like are the title track, Mother Russia and Public Enema, with Run Silent Run Deep being just alright in my opinion, same with Fates Warning. Much like Killers, it is simply song quality that lets them down, a big factor for this being Adrian's departure and Bruce's more raspy vocal style.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2011, 07:26:07 AM »
I can buy all four of those.  Didn't know Infinite Dreams was unpopular, I always loved it.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2011, 07:30:12 AM »
Infinite Dreams if fucking awesome, the other 2 are strong, No Prayer For The Dying is in my top 3 albums!   :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2011, 07:38:59 AM »
Infinite Dreams is Top 5 for me.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2011, 08:23:28 AM »
Great ones. I don't know about No prayer, though, I haven't listened to it in a while...