Author Topic: Jirpo's Iron Maiden Top 50  (Read 18739 times)

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
Re: Jirpo's Iron Maiden Top 50
« Reply #175 on: August 12, 2011, 08:14:43 AM »
Yep, the intro to the best live album ever :metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #176 on: August 12, 2011, 09:55:50 AM »
Nice choices right there.  :tup

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #177 on: August 13, 2011, 08:42:07 AM »
4. When the Wild Wind Blows
This is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. As this was the first album I followed by Maiden, I was really attached to it. When I first heard the second clean guitar tune that comes on I nearly cried, it was probably the most emotional I've ever felt from a piece of music. This song is something different for Maiden but at the same time, still carries many of their unique characteristics. Bruce sounds incredible on this track. The vocal melodies are amazing all the way through, particularly the "The picture on the wall..." bit. Some awesome guitar melodies here and the solos are just perfect. The ending is very emotional aswell. The whole thing is really just stunning. I was so happy I got to see this live, and although I would have actually preferred to see IOA live, this one worked great too. The story in the song I find really compelling and sad, and although lyrically, the metaphors are not as good as in other songs, Steve still manages to do justice to the story.

2. Brave New World
This is one of Maiden's two "perfect" albums. They really gave it their all on this album. All the songs sound so emotional and heartfelt. This album is Bruces best performance on a studio album IMO. Some truly beautiful moments on the album, from Blood Brothers to Out of the Silent Planet to the Title track.

Any guesses for top 3 songs?

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #178 on: August 13, 2011, 09:14:52 AM »
3. Killers
2. Afraid to Shoot Strangers
1. Sign of the Cross

I'm pretty confident about your #1, the others I'm just tossing out.  :laugh:

Nice to see WtWWB at #4. Such a great tune off an album that has only gotten better over the past year.  :tup

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #179 on: August 13, 2011, 08:02:25 PM »

Cmon people! More guesses! :)

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #180 on: August 13, 2011, 08:13:04 PM »
How bout The Legacy?

Or Starblind?

Offline Liberation

« Reply #181 on: August 13, 2011, 08:32:04 PM »
I'd also say The Legacy or Brighter Than a Thousand Suns, especially that it seems A Matter of Life and Death is your #1 album.

Also, what about The Nomad? I remember it being a very interesting song, though haven't listened to it for quite a while...

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #182 on: August 14, 2011, 12:17:58 AM »

Cmon people! More guesses! :)

Can I just name all the great songs that didn't make this list up to this point that are better than some of the ones you've already put on it? There's more than 3 of them...

Yeah, I know, it's your list and not mine. I think that our differences in opinion may come from the time that we discovered the band. I picked up on them in the mid 80's and I know that you got into them much later. That's not to say that I don't like any of the newer stuff but, from my point of view there very much was a "golden era" for this band and the majority(not all) of the songs that would be on a list that I would make would probably be centered more around the 1980-1987 time frame. To each his own and I'm still glad that you chose to do this list because it has exposed me to a different point of view.

I'm guessing that Hallowed Be Thy Name will be one of the top 3 so, I'll give you my top two.

#2 would be the live version of Remember Tomorrow from Maiden Japan.

#1 would be...(drum roll)...PowerSlave...

Why PS you ask? Maiden were known as a 1-2 punch from the guitar aspect back in the day. The song PS exibits the absolute best guitar solos from Dave Murray and Adrian Smith to ever be recorded imho and the harmonized section between the 2nd and 3rd solos is brilliant to say the least. The lyrics for the song are incredibly strong and the chorus stands well above most other Maiden songs because it came before the time that they got lazy and just repeated the same line over 4x's ect... and called it good enough. Also, I've always been a sucker for the Harmonic Minor scale and it's put to good use in this song.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #183 on: August 14, 2011, 12:21:32 AM »
Thanks for your opinion! And although I will say Remember Tomorrow is not on my list, that is only because I'm only counting studio versions. The Maiden Japan version would definitely be on there otherwise, around the 20-25 mark I think.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #184 on: August 14, 2011, 08:11:51 AM »
3. Revelations
Surprised that no-one guessed this song in my top 3! Anyway, this song is in my top 10 songs of all time (along with the two above it, obviously). Its a relatively simple song but it conveys a sense of mysticism, power and emotion that is completely unique to this song out of any other piece of music I've heard. The lyrics are poetic and maybe my favourite Maiden lyrics (Starblind would be another contender). Bruce's vocal melodies are so powerful here, and the way he sings some lines (like "The smile on his lips"). The soloing in this song is great aswell, and the simple, catchy riffs sieze control whenever Bruce stops singing. The ending is my favourite part however, one of my favourite endings of any song (probably second to Learning to Live by Dream Theater). The way Bruce sings, leading down into the clean guitar tone at the end is :hefdaddy , I can't think of any way to describe it. Lines like "The time has come to close your eyes, still the wind and rain" are just beautiful. It would be amazing to see this one live one day, although I think it would be impossible to capture the perfection of emotions and mysticism that is the studio version. I'm struggling to think of more to say about the song, but I can't think of anything. Just a monster of a song.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #185 on: August 14, 2011, 08:14:46 AM »
Dude, I love Revelations!  It's everything you said about it!

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: August 14, 2011, 10:45:49 AM »
Revelations is the best Maiden song.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #187 on: August 14, 2011, 10:50:38 AM »
 :metal

'Nuff said.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #188 on: August 14, 2011, 12:26:49 PM »
How could I forget about it... great song indeed.

By the way, was Where Eagles Dare somewhere on your list? Also an excellent song, one of my favourites as well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: August 14, 2011, 05:02:31 PM »
Revelations would struggle to make my top 20.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #190 on: August 14, 2011, 05:07:23 PM »
I've said it so many times here, but the riff H plays after his solo is just pure brilliance.  Probably my favourite Maiden riff ever.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #191 on: August 15, 2011, 08:14:27 AM »
2. Hallowed Be Thy Name
This song was my favourite Maiden song for the majority of my Maiden-loving life. Often considered Maiden's best song and for very good reason. This song is rediculously chilling and powerful. Bruce sounds amazing and this is probably Maiden's very best guitar work all-around. The clean intro is very doom-sounding, already you can feel the weight of the gallows hanging over the victims head. It explodes into two amazing guitar tunes, the second of which is one of my favourite guitar melodies ever. The lyrics are incredible, questioning the reasons for the victims execution and going through the feelings in the mans head ("If theres a god, why has he let me go?" "Catch my soul, its willing to fly away") and the verse sections are fantastic. The instrumental section is one of Maiden's best, with amazing soloing and awesome guitar melodies. The ending is incredible too. When Bruce sings the second "Hallowed be thy naaaaaaaaaammmeeee" and the slow guitar line hits, I feel as though that is the point where the man is hanged. An extremely compelling song that I am so glad I got to see live, and I will be very happy if they never drop this from the setlist (which I doubt they will). I love how Bruce extends the last line ("Life down here is just a strange illlllluuussssiiiiooooonnnn") live, very chilling.

1. A Matter of Life and Death
This is my favourite Maiden album and my 3rd favourite all-time album. Every song on this record is a masterpiece. Featuring Maiden's best lyrics and a fantastic performance from every band member, I fail to see how this album can be overlooked. This is where Maiden started bringing in a lot more progressive elements and they really paid off. This album has it all - an amazing rocker to open the album, a beautiful ballad, an anthem with a rocking chorus and a very good mid-tempo song, as well as 6 crushing, powerful epics.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #192 on: August 15, 2011, 08:50:33 PM »
I love not being at all right  :tup

Offline Liberation

« Reply #193 on: August 16, 2011, 02:09:09 AM »
I feel my guess of either Brighter Than a Thousand Suns or The Legacy has a very high chance of being correct ;)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #194 on: August 16, 2011, 03:04:36 AM »
Wow, AMOLAD at number one, that's awesome!  :metal

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #195 on: August 16, 2011, 08:01:40 AM »
Waiting one more night to reveal my #1 :)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #196 on: August 16, 2011, 08:14:14 AM »
Some great picks so far, I hope to see The Legacy at first spot, because it is my favorite. ;)

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #197 on: August 17, 2011, 07:28:27 AM »
1. Powerslave
Sorry to all those wishing for Sign of the Cross or a AMOLAD song, but this is my #1 song. I guess most people weren't expecting a golden era top 3 after so many reunion era songs throughout the list. Anyway, this song is unbelievably powerful, everything from the opening riff to the ending is immense. The opening riff is probably my second favourite verse riff ever (to Painkiller by Judas Priest). Bruce's vocals are very operatic and it very much suits the song. The lyrics are very good aswell, not their absolute best but definitely up there in the lyrical department. The pre-chorus instrumental section is extremely heavy and epic. The chorus is incredible, its my favourite chorus ever. The "aaaaahhhhh"s in the background and the riffing just all click with me. Whenever I haven't recently listened to a piece of music, I would bet on the chorus being stuck in my head more than anything else. It just exudes power. The solo/instrumental section is probably my second favourite of any song (to Metropolis by Dream Theater). Both solos are absolutely breathtaking. Murrays would make my top 5 solos of all time whilst H's would still make my top 15 or so. The interlude between is awesome too. I always get a shiver when Bruce sings "for a thousand ages...". The ending is just amazing aswell, it sounds like a dying pharoahs lament and curse to the living. My 3rd favourite song of all time.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: August 17, 2011, 07:34:20 AM »
Tell me why I had to be a Powerslave :metal

Great choice.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #199 on: August 17, 2011, 07:55:45 AM »
Powerslave would be my second favorite, so no complaints here.
Fantastic song, and their best "classic" IMO. :)

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #200 on: August 17, 2011, 07:58:24 AM »
Powerslave would be my second favorite, so no complaints here.
Fantastic song, and their best "classic" IMO. :)
Awesome! The Legacy is fast growing on me. Ask me in a year and it will probably be in my top 40 or so :)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #201 on: August 17, 2011, 09:51:18 AM »
Very cool. Favorite chorus ever? That's kinda too much.  :P

:tup

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: August 17, 2011, 01:15:55 PM »
Very interesting choice for Number 1, but still cool. Matt will be pleased to see this.

Good list man, I enjoyed reading it. :tup
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #203 on: August 17, 2011, 01:39:17 PM »
1. Powerslave
Sorry to all those wishing for Sign of the Cross or a AMOLAD song, but this is my #1 song. I guess most people weren't expecting a golden era top 3 after so many reunion era songs throughout the list. Anyway, this song is unbelievably powerful, everything from the opening riff to the ending is immense. The opening riff is probably my second favourite verse riff ever (to Painkiller by Judas Priest). Bruce's vocals are very operatic and it very much suits the song. The lyrics are very good aswell, not their absolute best but definitely up there in the lyrical department. The pre-chorus instrumental section is extremely heavy and epic. The chorus is incredible, its my favourite chorus ever. The "aaaaahhhhh"s in the background and the riffing just all click with me. Whenever I haven't recently listened to a piece of music, I would bet on the chorus being stuck in my head more than anything else. It just exudes power. The solo/instrumental section is probably my second favourite of any song (to Metropolis by Dream Theater). Both solos are absolutely breathtaking. Murrays would make my top 5 solos of all time whilst H's would still make my top 15 or so. The interlude between is awesome too. I always get a shiver when Bruce sings "for a thousand ages...". The ending is just amazing aswell, it sounds like a dying pharoahs lament and curse to the living. My 3rd favourite song of all time.

Just as a correction (not trying to bust on ya lol...) there are three solo sections. Dave Murray plays the first one during the "slow/mellow" section. When the band kicks back in to full force it switches to Adrian Smith's only solo on the song. After the harmony section the third solo is Dave's.

Wonderfull choice, Jirpo. Up the Iron's!!!
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #204 on: August 17, 2011, 02:01:50 PM »
#1 on my list, too.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: August 17, 2011, 03:44:30 PM »
#1 on my list, too.

I'd say number 2 or 3 on my list.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #206 on: August 17, 2011, 06:09:02 PM »
Cheers everyone! Hopefully I've inspired some people to listen to these songs again, and maybe someone to do another countdown :)

Thanks for that!