Author Topic: Jirpo's Iron Maiden Top 50  (Read 18742 times)

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Re: Jirpo's Iron Maiden Top 50
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2011, 03:54:48 AM »
I love the Clairvoyant; it could possibly be my favoritE short, single like Maiden tune, and I feel the exactly the same as you bout Mother Russia.  Had it been 8-9 mins, it'd really made for an outstanding epic among outstanding epics.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2011, 03:55:07 AM »
Two fantastic songs, especially The Clairvoyant :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2011, 06:09:40 AM »
Mother Russia kinda sucks...

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2011, 06:10:10 AM »
Mother Russia is the best song on No Prayer.

IMHO.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2011, 10:43:43 PM »
those 21-23 choices should be about ten places higher.  Three of the best Maiden songs ever.

Agree with the feeling thing on the Clairvoyant.  That song has always been special to me for the same reason.  Its pretty unique as far as Maiden goes.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: July 30, 2011, 10:57:09 PM »
I love the Clairvoyant; it could possibly be my favoritE short, single like Maiden tune, and I feel the exactly the same as you bout Mother Russia.  Had it been 8-9 mins, it'd really made for an outstanding epic among outstanding epics.

That is kind of the problem with this song for me.  I feel like it should have been the epic for this album.  Not a bad song, but its just missing something. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2011, 05:52:38 AM »
Mother Russia is good, but the solo section is a complete Seventh Son rehash.  Clairvoyant is also very overrated IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2011, 05:53:42 AM »
A couple of classics for you today!

18. Wasted Years
This is a heartfelt ballad, and one of my favourite Maiden ballads. The riffing is melodic and wondeful, and Bruce puts in a great performance, especially in the chorus and parts such as "Another city goes by, in the niiiiighhht". The chorus is one of Maiden's best. The solo is great too. Although I love that poppy intro, I feel they repeated it one too many times throughout the song - twice is enough. All in all, a great song and one of the best from Somewhere in Time.

17. 2 Minutes to Midnight
One of Maiden's best live songs in my opinion. This was probably my second favourite after Fear of the Dark when I went to see them, the crowd really got into it and its special to hear that chorus echoed by so many people. Anyway, this one has some really great lyrics and a very interesting topic. I'd never heard of that clock before I listened to this song. Anyway, the riffing and soloing is pretty good here, great vocal melodies, particularly in the chorus. Great song that is sometimes underrated because so many people say its overrated, if that makes sense :p

9. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

I find this album to be slightly overrated. It does have some great songs and good flow, but there is too many mediocre moments on the record for it to be any higher than this. Although most songs are good songs, it only has one or two heavyweights in my opinion (I know a lot of people disagree with this), not enough to put it above the 3 albums that came prior to this one. I don't like Moonchild that much, same with Can I Play With Madness and The Prophecy.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2011, 05:57:38 AM »
Two big popular songs...

I wouldn't say Wasted Years is prime Maiden, but it is strong,  however, 23:58 sure is!

And as for 7Soa7S getting ranked 9th, um, I do not see on the same level with you at all about that.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2011, 05:58:16 AM »
Can't really complain there.

I can see how people would conceive 7th Son overrated.  It would probably rank 6-7 for me.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2011, 06:09:01 AM »
Yep, as I said every album from 6-11 is really close in my list :)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2011, 10:26:19 AM »
Two great songs.

And a fabulous album, my 2nd favorite overall.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2011, 10:52:59 AM »
Two great songs.

And a fabulous album, my 2nd favorite overall.

This.

I have a hard time deciding a #1 album, it's always tied between Seventh Son and Somewhere In Time.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: August 01, 2011, 06:34:14 AM »
16. Dream of Mirrors
This incredible song would be in my top 10, and probably be my favourite from Brave New World if not for overlistening to it, it just doesn't do as much for me as it used to. How high it still is is a testament to how good it is. The starting is a little out of place I will admit, but after things cool down, it gets much better. The clean guitar is awesome and Bruce sings an awesome, evil-sounding melody over it. The "The dream is true" part is one of my favourite parts and I sometimes get the shivers from it. I love the build up to the chorus, which is one of Maiden's best, with a fantastic vocal melody and great lyrics. The instrumental section, split up with the faster chorus and the other vocal passage is great, and the slower chorus at the end is the icing on the cake. This song has an awesome name too.

15. The Trooper
This is a classic that never seems to suffer from constant overplaying. Featuring some of Maiden's best classic guitar harmonies and an awesome solo as well as a good performance from Bruce, this song is straight up Maiden, and one of the first songs I would recommend to any would-be fan. Seeing this live was a real highlight and the chorus especially works amazing with the fans. Nicko is great on this track, as is Steve. The lyrics fit the intensity of the music and the first two guitar harmonies are just magic.

8. Iron Maiden
This album was so close to #7, but just missed out because of a few filler songs. Anyway, this album is incredible. Phantom of the Opera -> Strange World is probably my second favourite 3 song run ever (after Take the Time->Metropolis). The first two songs are amazing aswell. Running Free is good, as is Sanctuary. The other two let down the album a bit. This album carries a lot of energy and Paul's voice is great for the album.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #119 on: August 01, 2011, 06:38:41 AM »
Well, shit, I agree with you wholeheartedly about essentially everything in this post!   :biggrin:

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2011, 10:02:32 AM »
Controversy time: I think The Trooper is slightly overrated. Most of the songs on Piece of Mind are better than it.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2011, 10:06:32 AM »
Controversy time: I think The Trooper is slightly overrated. Most of the songs on Piece of Mind are better than it.

I'm guessing that the songs you prefer over it are Revelations, Icarus, (maybe) DWYBO, Still Life, and TTAL.  Is that so?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2011, 10:10:15 AM »
Basically, every other song besides Quest For Fire and Sun And Steel.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2011, 10:14:08 AM »
It's not necessarily my favorite off of the album, either, but it's hard to tell.  I worship pretty much all the songs equally.  Except for Quest for Fire and Sun And Steel. 

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2011, 10:16:59 AM »
Yeah don't get me wrong, I still like it. I like every song from Piece of Mind, including QFF and SaS. But, it is kind of ironic that I think The Trooper is overrated:

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #125 on: August 01, 2011, 10:20:32 AM »
What's funny is that I have both of those posters.  Except mine actually face the right way. 

(And I also like QFF and SAS.  I'd say they are preferable to say, um, the filler on DOD.  Or anything to do with VXI.  Aside from that one song where they ape Van Halen's cover of You Really Got Me.)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2011, 11:11:11 AM »
I don't get the praise for Dream of Mirrors.  I'd put The Thin Line way way WAY above it.  Its not close to the best on BNW.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2011, 11:13:57 AM »
Um, the best on BNW is obviously GOTN.  But The Mirror is way up there, Maidenwise. 

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: August 01, 2011, 11:21:15 AM »
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #129 on: August 01, 2011, 11:23:01 AM »
So, in other words, its tracklisting goes like this?

Rainmaker
No More Lies
Montsegur
Dance of Death
Paschendale
Face in the Sand
Journeyman

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2011, 11:29:04 AM »
Those are the best songs on the album, but none of other songs are even close to bad enough that you could call them filler.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #131 on: August 01, 2011, 11:30:22 AM »
Hmm, what albums would you describe as having filler, then?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: August 01, 2011, 03:43:04 PM »
I don't understand the DOM praise either.  Trooper would be in my top 10.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #133 on: August 01, 2011, 04:16:09 PM »
I find that a lot of Maiden fans either love or hate DoM.  I love it.  My brother, who's probably a bigger Maiden fan, thinks its a poor man's Infinite Dreams.  I don't understand that :lol

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #134 on: August 01, 2011, 04:18:47 PM »
Um, it sounds nothing like Infinite Dreams. 

However, Starblind does have a section very similar to a section of ID. 

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #135 on: August 01, 2011, 07:30:07 PM »
I have a The Trooper shirt, its one of my favourite Maiden artworks :)

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: August 01, 2011, 08:16:58 PM »

Yeah, that's why I said I didn't understand his reasoning.  I think its because its, er, about dreams.  There are a few lyrical similarities.  Listening back, I think it tries desperately to be as epic as ID, but fails.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #137 on: August 01, 2011, 08:19:01 PM »
Listening back, I think it tries desperately to be as epic as ID, but fails.
Of course it doesn't reach the level of epicness of ID.  The greatness of pre-92 Maiden is almost a burden to them, in the sense, that they sometimes don't reach it, due to it being such a high threshold. 

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2011, 03:19:01 AM »
Well, I think this song surpasses it when it was at its best for me :)

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2011, 06:16:25 AM »
14. No Prayer for the Dying
This track is beautiful. The slow, sad intro followed by heartfelt vocals from Bruce and an awesome guitar melody. This is one of Maiden's most emotional songs in my opinion, and shines out like a beacon from the mud that composes most of the album. The guitar solo is awesome, probably the second best off the album to Mother Russia. The ending is my favourite part however (God give me...). It sounds so emotional, Maiden sometimes just nail those melancholy endings when the vocals come in when its heavy and by the time the vocals are finished the clean tune has started again. It just carries such an awesome atmosphere that I've only ever really felt in two songs (this one and also the ending of Revelations). I wish Bruce used his more operatic style on this one however instead of using the more raspy voice he uses across this album.

13. These Colours Don't Run
This was my original favourite from A Matter of Life and Death, and still is one of my favourites. The first war-based lyrics from the album fittingly tell the tale of a man going off to war. The chorus is absolutely one of Maiden's best with a spectacular vocal melody. Bruce sounds awesome here too, as he does across the album. The instrumental section is awesome, great soloing, some of the best on the album, and the "oooohhhh" bit is pretty great aswell. I really wish I saw them live on that tour, this song seems like it was built to be played live and I hope I get to see it one day.

7. The X Factor
This album is great and is probably the most different of all of Maiden's albums. The dark atmosphere really suits Blaze's voice. This album is very consistent, but it lacks a couple of classics that in my opinion would make it a much better album.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 07:16:25 AM by Jirpo »