Author Topic: Jirpo's Iron Maiden Top 50  (Read 18741 times)

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
Jirpo's Iron Maiden Top 50
« on: July 17, 2011, 10:04:04 PM »
Iron Maiden is my favourite band, and so the idea of doing a top 50 for them sounded pretty fun to me. I love pretty much everything about them, from their fantastic melodies and interesting lyrics, to the great solos and unique vocals. I will include an album countdown, updating with an album every few days. I'll update 3 songs per day until we get to 20, then 2 songs per day until we get to 10, then 1 song per day. If there is anything you want me to add to make the writeups more interesting, just say it and I will try my best to incorporate it. Anyway, without further ado, here is the first 3 :)

50.  Dance of Death
To start off my list, here is one of the more popular reunion era tracks. This song features some of Janick’s best work. The slow, clean intro builds up in tension, with Bruce doing a great job vocally in this part. It then fades off into a nice little guitar lick before the rest of the band joins back in with a nice melody. The songs solo is possibly its best point; one of Janicks best, a fairly lengthy, but always entertaining solo. Janick really feels so free and inspired here. The ending is good, not great, lacking something needed to compete with certain other clean Maiden outros. The lyrics are not very good however, letting the song down quite a bit, and the section from the ending of the intro (about 3:00) to the start of the solo could have been quite a bit better. It was great seeing this one live on tour, probably the best live song from Dance of Death.

49. The Duellists

One of the most underrated Maiden songs, I really wish I could fit this one in higher on the list, but I simply can’t. Usually overshadowed by the heavyweights on Powerslave, I find this song can hold its ground quite effectively. Bruce really delivers on this track, featuring one of his best performances in the Maiden discography, with some fantastic high notes. The chorus is especially great, with a nice vocal melody. However, the best part of this song is the lengthy instrumental section. The lyrics aren’t bad either. This one would work amazing live in my opinion, especially with the crowd singing along in the chorus. All in all, an excellent song that reinforces Powerslave.

48. Brave New World

The title track from Maiden’s first reunion effort is a good one, going on with “Blood Brothers” to become one of their most anthemic tracks of the last decade. A slow, sad guitar tune opens the song, with some great lyrics (“Dying swans, twisted wings, beauty not needed here”). The lyrical brilliance continues throughout the song, (“All is lost, sold your souls, to this brave new world” is one of my favourites). The vocal melody in the chorus is great, with Bruce varying the delivery to stop it from becoming repetitive, something that Blaze didn’t do (for the record, I love Blaze :p). The melancholy mood throughout the song aids the lyrics in portraying a dark view of the future. Like the previous two songs, but even more so, this one seems like it would be amazing live, and I really hope I get a chance to see it in the future.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:59:31 AM by Jirpo »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jirpo's Iron Maiden Top 50
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 11:14:26 PM »
Nice to see love for the Dualist. I always thought of the instrumental part to be like dialing guitars to match the dualing sword fighting theme.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 12:52:04 AM »
Nice to see love for the Dualist. I always thought of the instrumental part to be like dialing guitars to match the dualing sword fighting theme.

I'll second that.  It's a really jammin tune.  Makes me wonder what the fuck Maiden was thinking, not even bothering to play half of that album live.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 12:58:52 AM »
They've never played The Duelist live? What the hell?

Also, following with interest.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 01:04:40 AM »
They've never played The Duelist live? What the hell?

Also, following with interest.
Nope.  Not Flash of the Blade, nor Back in the Village, either.

Hell, did you know that the only albums from which they played all the songs are Iron Maiden and AMOLAD?  Though they came really close with VIX, playing all of it, except Como Estais.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 01:25:57 AM »
I consider myself a huge IM fan (hence my user name) but, I never got into the Blaze era at all. I'm looking forward to this list and I'll be checking out any of the blaze era songs that come up using your descriptions of the songs as a guide. It will be interesting to see what the list looks like towards the end because I have some fairly strong opinions about the songs that I think are at the top.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 01:27:51 AM »
Nice to see quite a few followers! :)

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 01:30:15 AM »
Why wouldn't I? 

Iron Maiden's only like the first band I ever loved and the second that I acquired the entire discography of.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 02:02:42 AM »
Great ones, keep it coming.  :tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 02:03:29 AM »
Personally I would rank Dance of Death much higher, but three good songs, and I will be following.  :tup

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 02:03:30 AM »
Great choices!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 04:03:07 AM »
Never, ever cared for DoD the song.  Love the other picks though!

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 04:23:43 AM »
Dance of Death is one of my favorite Maiden songs, it is far too low.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 05:16:31 AM »
I'd say DOD at 50 is a good place, it doesn't deserve to be any higher IMO.  Great to see The Duellists, I would probably have it a little higher in my list, one of Maiden's best instrumenal sections hands down.  BNW IMO is far too low, but great songs, look forward to more.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 06:23:24 AM »
I've been saying for years that Duellists is one of their most underrated tracks. That instrumental section goes on and on. Stops me dead in my tracks every time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 08:23:43 AM »
I'd say DOD at 50 is a good place, it doesn't deserve to be any higher IMO.

It would probably be in my top 10. Fantastic song.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 08:38:17 AM »
I do not find Dance of Death to be good.  The sonics are ok, but I find the lyrics awful to the point of annoying.  Don't tell me Maiden isn't known for lyrics, I know that.  I'm usually the person that is oblivious to lyrics being good or bad, so when they bug me I assume they're really bad.

The Duellists is one of the only songs on Powerslave I like anymore, nice pick.  If you don't have anything else but Rime of the Ancient Mariner on here I'll be happy. :)  ...like that'll happen.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 09:15:24 AM »
Prepare to be disappointed Yorost :p

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 09:18:07 AM »
:lol

Aye, I was prepared before you started!  I'll let you have a pass if you have at least 5 each from the Di'Anno and Blaze material.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 04:02:36 PM »
Jirpo seems to be on the 'BALZE BAYLEY RULES OK' side of the camp, so I'd bet money on there being at least 5 from the Blaze era.  And yeah, DoD feels waaay to much like Stonehenge by Spinal Tap to be cool :lol  I know that its been said heaps before but thats because its true.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 04:09:52 PM »
good choices; personally would have BNW higher.  Will follow with interest.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 09:58:21 PM »
47. Look for the Truth
Here is my first Blaze song, and a very underrated song from The X Factor. There’s simply nothing bad about this track. The soft opening continues the dark tone set by the rest of the album, before giving way to the “Oooh-o-ohh, ooh-oohh-o-ooohh”. I love the melody Blaze sings in that part. The lyrics in this song are pretty good too. Not too much else to say about this one, except that I always look forward to listening to it when listening to The X Factor. A great, fun little song.

46. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
To continue with the string of title tracks, the title track from the last “golden era” album really manages to create an epic feeling through the cold, powerful guitars and Bruce’s strong, echoing vocals. The verses for some reason give me a sense of “order and discipline” (no idea how to describe it but that was the closest I could come up with :p). The “oooohhhs” before the chorus really add to the epic feeling, and the chorus itself, although repetitive lyrically, never seems to get old. The clean instrumental section is great and adds to the effect. The spoken words are really powerful and often send chills down my spine. This song would be a bit higher if it was 2-3 minutes longer and had another verse and chorus at the end. No idea why it ended up so low on the list, I guess I just don't like the guitar and vocal melodies as much as 45 other Maiden songs :)

45. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg

This song is a perfect example of modern day Maiden. A slow, haunting intro, followed by a crushing riff before launching into some more verses and an epic chorus. It took a long while to grow on me - when I first heard it I wasn’t a huge fan (I didn’t hate it, it just didn’t do much for me). These days, I love pretty much everything about it – the chorus and Bruce’s amazing vocals, the soloing, and the fantastic guitar melody in the instrumental section. I found the lyrical topic quite unique and interesting, especially after I found out a bit about Benjamin Breeg. A top-notch song from one of Maiden’s best albums.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 01:52:07 AM »
Two incredible songs, and one of my two lesser favorites from The X Factor - still a good one, though.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 02:04:04 AM »
Well, Ben B. is among the songs post-92 that I feel really stands up to the classics.

I absolutely love 7th Son.

Look for the truth is a good rocker  with great lyrics.
I must say, aside from BNW, X-Factor is my favorite post-92 Maiden album, and lyrically, it's quite possibly their very strongest.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 03:25:26 AM »
Seventh Son this low? The hell? I respectfully disagree with you about its length - it doesn't need to be longer. It's perfect the way it is. A top 5 Maiden song for me.

Oh well. Your list, not mine. :)
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 03:27:45 AM »
Two incredible songs, and one of my two lesser favorites from The X Factor - still a good one, though.

This pretty much.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 04:09:09 AM »
Seventh Son this low? The hell? I respectfully disagree with you about its length - it doesn't need to be longer. It's perfect the way it is. A top 5 Maiden song for me.

Yeah, I know most people would probably have it a bit higher :)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 06:24:45 AM »
3 more winners.  LFTT is a fantastic very underrated track, and if I could add the excellent solo section.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 06:27:44 AM »
3 more winners.  LFTT is a fantastic very underrated track, and if I could add the excellent solo section.
Yep, forgot to mention that part :tup

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 10:51:52 AM »

It's interesting to see how we all disagree on some of these songs. I'm not a big fan of that song and can think of some stuff from that album that's much better in my opinion. Infinite Dreams, Only the Good Die Young and The Evil That Men Do are better songs for me.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 09:29:57 PM »
44. The Evil That Men Do
A live staple, and for good reason, this is one of many great songs from Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. The guitar intro is great, and the vocal melodies here are top notch, with some great vocals by Bruce, particularly in the chorus. The vocals are really what makes the song for me, as Bruce changes between a rasp in the verses and his usual operatic style in the chorus. It was a real treat seeing this one live, one of my favourite songs from the performance, which ensured it a spot in the top 50 :)

43. Flash of the Blade

Another underrated song from Powerslave! This song is an awesome little rocker. The opening riff is great, and the chorus IMO is a blueprint for power metal choruses, with a very catchy vocal melody and fantasy/sword fighting inspired lyrics. A real shame they never played this one live either, I think it would be a great live song. The solo section is great, with some cool guitar leads. Overall, a fun, catchy song from Powerslave that in no way should be considered filler.

42. The Prisoner
To finish off an update full of rockers, here is a classic one from The Number of the Beast. Everything about this song is great! It always has me playing air guitar, air drums or singing along. Great performance by Clive, riffs are awesome and Bruce does a great job too. The chorus, like the previous two, features a great vocal melody, but I like this one more than the others. A good solo by H and then the song wraps itself up with the chorus. A classic song and one of the best from The Number of the Beast.

Sorry about the fairly short writeups, these songs are all pretty short and I can't find too much to say about them :)

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 09:38:29 PM »
Flash of the Blade?  Sweet Jesus there must be a lot of Powerslave in this list. :lol :(

The Evil That Men Do is a great track, could be higher on my list I think.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2011, 09:53:53 PM »
Flash of the Blade is great, glad to see it get some love.  :tup

And yeah to The Prisoner!  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2011, 11:18:21 PM »
The evil that men do is between 5-10 for me. One of the songs that got me to fall in love with the band.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2011, 01:12:29 AM »
Great songs.  :tup