Author Topic: Breaking Bad (**SPOILERS MAY BE PRESENT**)  (Read 154874 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Breaking Bad (**SPOILERS MAY BE PRESENT**)
« Reply #1295 on: February 20, 2019, 03:33:32 PM »
You guys are right. My bad. Maybe Jesse knows where Jack put the money.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1296 on: February 20, 2019, 03:37:20 PM »
You guys are right. My bad. Maybe Jesse knows where Jack put the money.

How would he know that?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1297 on: February 20, 2019, 03:41:20 PM »
If the money was at the compound Johnny has it. If it's not it's lost forever with the death of Jack, kind of like bitcoin.  :lol

Jesse's confession tape is likely still somewhere in Jack's compound (remember how they watched it and laughed at it after imprisoning him), and don't think the feds won't find it and see what was on it, meaning they know everything Jesse did. 
That would make him a person of interest, but not necessarily a prime suspect. They couldn't know the circumstances surrounding the origin of the tape. You'd hold it in about the same light as you would the "confession" of some poor bastard shot down over Hanoi. And the Fed's case is already pretty dodgy because Hank had effectively gone rogue.

Assuming the feds can still find a working VCR... :lol :lol
They're a federal agency. They might still be running Super 8 at that point. Christ, the DOD was still using 5.25 floppies as of 2016.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1298 on: February 20, 2019, 07:48:57 PM »
Oh my. :lol :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1299 on: May 03, 2019, 09:17:13 AM »
So not being a Star Wars fan, it's no surprise I never heard the name Peter Mayhews until he died. It was driving me nuts why that name sounded so familiar. It finally clicked that Badger's real name was Brandon Mayhew. He referenced Star Wars a number of times throughout the show. Do you think the "Mayhew" was a little nod?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1300 on: May 24, 2019, 12:37:44 PM »
Breaking Bad was a great viewing experience. 99% perfect show. With that said, I can never watch it again due to how intense it was. It was just too much.  It's the only show that has ever made me feel this way.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1301 on: May 25, 2019, 01:09:54 PM »
I don't think I can watch it again because without the anticipation of what comes next, wherein a little bit of extremely irrational optimism can reside, it is really really depressing.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1302 on: May 25, 2019, 01:53:51 PM »
Breaking Bad was a great viewing experience. 99% perfect show. With that said, I can never watch it again due to how intense it was. It was just too much.  It's the only show that has ever made me feel this way.
I was watching it two or three episodes a night a couple of nights a week. There came a point where I pretty much quit watching it for a month or so just to decompress a little. Only one that prompted me to take a break from it, but there were stretches that were pretty damned intense. Part of the reason I prefer BCS is because it gets pretty close to that point but never to the extent that you need a timeout.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1303 on: June 08, 2019, 02:55:50 PM »
Ok, so I think I'm finally able to dig into this show. Tried it once before about 3 years back and it was a bit to triggering for me (recovering meth user). But I needed something to dig into, and I can't deny how good the six or so episodes I watched back then were, so I gave it another shot and it's going smooth so I'm gonna give the whole series a go. On about ep10 right now, and I just deeply admire the chemistry between Walt and Jessie, they are a perfectly paired duo. I'll keep y'all posted as I cruise through the series.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1304 on: June 09, 2019, 03:39:24 AM »
Feel welcome to do so!  :tup maybe one day I should do a full rewatch too......
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1305 on: June 09, 2019, 12:22:44 PM »
Just got through the episode where Jane OD's and chokes on her own vomit, with Walter watching. Seriously powerful shit man.

On a side note, all these shows just suck at portraying the recovery community. We are not the glum, masochistic lot that they always show meetings to be. Yeah, heavy stuff does get talked about, but there is more joy than sorrow I guarantee. Also, was her dad an alcoholic and relapsed as well, or was he just babysitting her in the meetings?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1306 on: June 09, 2019, 12:25:15 PM »
That was one of the darkest and most hotly debated moments of the entire series.

I don't think her father was an alcoholic - he was just there supporting her / forcing her to get help. He's gonna have to deal with the loss, just see the final episode of the season.......
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1307 on: June 09, 2019, 12:34:37 PM »
I was really hoping for more Krysten Ritter time as well.

Yeah, sometimes a parent/spouse will show up for the first meeting or two like the good codependents they tend to be, but to do it for 18 months is completely unheard of. I should finish this season today so I'll get beck to y'all.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1308 on: June 11, 2019, 01:40:54 PM »
Also, was her dad an alcoholic and relapsed as well, or was he just babysitting her in the meetings?

I got the impression he was there for support....as you said 'baby sitting' or inspiring her to keep going.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1309 on: June 11, 2019, 01:42:19 PM »
That was one of the darkest and most hotly debated moments of the entire series.

Yeah....that was brutal to watch. That's one of those moments where you knew Walt had crossed a line never to return, despite how 'remorseful' he seemed

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1310 on: June 11, 2019, 02:25:46 PM »
Huh. I was thinking he was in recovery for something. Didn't he attend meetings even when she did not? It's been a while but I didn't think he was there just to babysit. In fact it never occurred to me until now.

And that episode is when I put the thing away for a couple of weeks and spent time watching happy stuff.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1311 on: June 11, 2019, 02:28:44 PM »
That episode is sooo good. I really liked Jane as a character and her chemistry with Jesse but that death scene... woo boy.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1312 on: June 11, 2019, 03:00:01 PM »

Yeah....that was brutal to watch. That's one of those moments where you knew Walt had crossed a line never to return, despite how 'remorseful' he seemed

I think he genuinely was remorseful.  When Jane started choking, his gut reaction was to hurry around to her side to save her, showing that Walt was somewhat of a good guy at heart.  A truly bad and evil person never would have considered saving her.  But then the "wait, if she dies, this is good for me, and she did just try to blackmail and expose me" thoughts when through his head and he stopped.  The shades of gray of Walt's character were never more evident than in those 30 seconds, IMO.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1313 on: June 11, 2019, 03:02:17 PM »
Bryan Cranston is also on record stating that in that scene for a moment he pictured her own daughter in place of Kristen, and to this day if he thinks of that scene, he sees his daughter. Brutal moment for him as well, and it surely translated into his performance.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1314 on: June 11, 2019, 03:07:57 PM »
Just watched the scene with Q and Walter discussing parenthood while listing to Green Grass and High Tides. Donald is drinking whisky with a beer back and there doesn't seem to be any tension from potential alcoholism. It looked as normal as can be. I suppose he was just attending meetings for support.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1315 on: June 11, 2019, 03:13:47 PM »
I never thought for a second that Donald had issues with drinking; I always assumed he went to the meetings with Jane for support.

I will say, too, that the actor who played Donald did a fantastic job in that limited role.  You could literally feel his shock and heartbreak in the scene where Jane's dead body is taken from the apartment.  A lot of shows would have had some over the top moment where he raged at Jesse, but they did it perfectly.  He was in too much shock to even think about placing blame, and I am sure deep down he probably blamed himself for a lot of it, thinking he could have done more than he already did. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1316 on: June 11, 2019, 03:51:37 PM »
I can't wait for lonestar to get to season 5. I LOVE hearing/watching reactions from people who see the stuff in this show for the first time.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1317 on: June 11, 2019, 07:26:26 PM »
I can't wait for lonestar to get to season 5. I LOVE hearing/watching reactions from people who see the stuff in this show for the first time.

Good golly I forgot that RJ hadn't seen this at all...thought he was on a re-watch. I 'almost' typed a thing or two that would have been real spoilery. Whew....

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1318 on: June 11, 2019, 08:17:45 PM »
Nah man, it's all brand spanking new. As I said above, my first run through got stopped because it was a bit too triggering, I kept mentally screaming at the screen "spin the pipe before you burn your dope!!!!". That probably won't make a ton of sense to some of you but my recovery friends found it hysterical.

As to the dad attending meetings for support, it just hit me as weird since at 18 months, it's unheard of. Usually a 'support' person will show up for one or two before we turn them to Al Anon, they'll be more a hindrance to the process than anything else.

Hank just got gunned down, and Jesse and Walt are cooking mad dope. Just waiting to see how Jesse fucks it up this time, the boy has zero common sense man. He'd be dead within a week in real life.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1319 on: June 12, 2019, 10:34:53 AM »

As to the dad attending meetings for support, it just hit me as weird since at 18 months, it's unheard of. Usually a 'support' person will show up for one or two before we turn them to Al Anon, they'll be more a hindrance to the process than anything else.

Does that include known relapses? It's been a minute since I've watched the show, but Jane constantly struggled with addiction well into her sobriety attempt, and I think her dad knew that. Even if she was clean for those 18 months, it might as well have been day two for her. I mean, she still had all the heroin supplies ready to go from the moment she met Jesse.

Hank just got gunned down, and Jesse and Walt are cooking mad dope. Just waiting to see how Jesse fucks it up this time, the boy has zero common sense man. He'd be dead within a week in real life.

:corn :corn :corn

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1320 on: June 12, 2019, 11:09:07 AM »
Yes, even with relapsers,it just never happens,and I've been to probably over a thousand meetings.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1321 on: June 12, 2019, 11:15:05 AM »
Jesse is incredibly lucky, for sure. But I love how every situation he gets in has some kind of effect on him.

I can't remember where this episode is in the series... have you come across the strung out couple and the ATM machine yet?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1322 on: June 12, 2019, 11:47:56 AM »
Hank just got gunned down

That scene was intense....freaking INTENSE!!!  I love Hank....he's one of my favorite characters. Didn't start off like that but as the show progressed I really dug him

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1323 on: June 12, 2019, 11:53:00 AM »
Wait, so you're midway through season 3? no comments on season 2 finale, especially the very ending?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1324 on: June 12, 2019, 12:03:15 PM »

I can't remember where this episode is in the series... have you come across the strung out couple and the ATM machine yet?

That is early in Season 2, like the 5th or 6th episode, I believe.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1325 on: June 12, 2019, 01:18:51 PM »
Hank just got gunned down

That scene was intense....freaking INTENSE!!!  I love Hank....he's one of my favorite characters. Didn't start off like that but as the show progressed I really dug him
Wow, he was one of my least favorites. Not because he was a cop, I liked him early on for what he was; a young cop having fun being a cop. I started hating the guy as the show went on and he became increasingly stubborn to his own detriment. What I can say about him is he really died like a champ. His finest moment was probably directing his disgust at Walt rather than the guy that was fixing to kill him. Wonderful scene.

Also, having to scale text down as the only means of spoiler-proofing really sucks. I hate when others do it because it's a PITA to read, but there really is no other way. This forum has buttons I don't even know what they do (WTF is the teletype thing?) but no way to hide text, FFS.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1326 on: June 12, 2019, 04:13:57 PM »
Wait, so you're midway through season 3? no comments on season 2 finale, especially the very ending?

You mean the plane crash? It was pretty powerful and dramatic, and I felt for the guy. Good to know the source of the bear finally, that thing was bugging me.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1327 on: June 12, 2019, 10:15:13 PM »

Woooowwwwwwwwwww....holy shitballs, they just killed the kid, and Walt proceeded to smoke the two dealers. This shit is gonna get fucking UGLY... I can't even say Jesse fucked it up really, he was in the rights and conceded his hand, then they had to go and whack the kid. Not surprised to see Walt protecting Jesse either, can't even begin to imagine where this is gonna go.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1328 on: June 12, 2019, 10:52:17 PM »

Woooowwwwwwwwwww....holy shitballs, they just killed the kid, and Walt proceeded to smoke the two dealers. This shit is gonna get fucking UGLY... I can't even say Jesse fucked it up really, he was in the rights and conceded his hand, then they had to go and whack the kid. Not surprised to see Walt protecting Jesse either, can't even begin to imagine where this is gonna go.
Like you said, it's gonna get fucking UGLY.

Fast.
E.F. Benson

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1329 on: June 13, 2019, 01:06:42 AM »

You mean the plane crash? It was pretty powerful and dramatic, and I felt for the guy. Good to know the source of the bear finally, that thing was bugging me.

Yeah, that was when all the season came together, it was planned since the beginning.

Trivia fact: not all the episodes have those black and white bear scenes. Wanna know which are the titles for the episodes who do?

In order:

Down
Over
ABQ

Yeah. They put the bear scenes in episodes whose titles spell "737 down over ABQ", which refers to what Walt's action lead in a butterfly effect event: he let for his selfish reasons a young girl die, and the devasted father of said girl was too distraught to realize he sent two planes crashing into each other.

(And just wait for season 3 finale!!!)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 01:17:51 AM by MirrorMask »