Author Topic: Breaking Bad (**SPOILERS MAY BE PRESENT**)  (Read 154904 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Breaking Bad (**SPOILERS MAY BE PRESENT**)
« Reply #1225 on: March 28, 2016, 04:38:17 AM »
Marie was indeed an annoying bitch, but Skyler took too much criticism. For all Walter put her through, she reacted even too good. He was distant, evasive, lying on top of lies that were becoming more and more evident - see how it all crumbled down at the end of season 2, and how quickly it was to discover them - , then he told her straight up he was a meth manufacturer... and she passed for the bitch of the family for throwing Walter out of the house without explanation. Sure, it was hard to just say "Well actually my husband is a drug lord" but still she stood by him somehow, even when Hank discovered it all she was reclutant to just let go of Walter and give him up. Self serving for sure, and protecting her childrne also, but still she didn't turn her back on him.

Also, Skyler got to tell Marie what we all thought at a point in the series: "Shut up! shut up! shut up! shut up!!!!!"  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1226 on: March 28, 2016, 05:23:37 PM »
Boy, the women in this series really were thrown to the wolves.  :lol 

LOL, perhaps, but put me in the camp of those who thought Lydia was really attractive.  That actress is already attractive as heck, and Lydia's neurotic personality gave her that "I'd like to take her clothes off and see her cut loose" look.  :lol :lol :coolio :hat

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1227 on: March 28, 2016, 07:50:22 PM »
I mean...my comment wasn't regarding anything aesthetic at all but I agree.  :lol

I meant that most of them were fairly disposable characters and/or by the end were actually disposed of or might as well have been in regards to their impact on the story.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1228 on: August 11, 2016, 10:35:57 AM »
Mrs. P and I binge watched the entire series over the past month. So, now I can say I've seen it.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1229 on: August 11, 2016, 06:59:32 PM »
Sweet, I just started rewatching the first season. God I love this show.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1230 on: August 12, 2016, 09:26:54 AM »
Mrs. P and I binge watched the entire series over the past month. So, now I can say I've seen it.

And?

:metal :hefdaddy ?
 :( ?
 :tup ?
 :tdwn ?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1231 on: August 12, 2016, 09:30:08 AM »
Exactly!  :lol
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1232 on: November 12, 2017, 04:11:12 AM »
Started re-watching the show yesterday because I had an urge watching a teacher going rouge after a heavy week at work (working as a teacher myself).
It was interesting watching S01 and how quickly things were moving ahead, which you probably don't think about the first time you see it.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1233 on: March 30, 2018, 07:29:17 AM »
My wife finished the series last night. I probably watched 80% of the series again along with her. She loved the show.....she was a real 'mom' about Jesse and just felt really bad for him the whole time. The scene when Hank was killed really got her also.....really got me the first time I saw it. She loved Mike also and was ticked when Walt killed him.

She's gonna start Better Call Saul to try and catch up in time so that we can watch Season 4 together.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1234 on: March 30, 2018, 07:50:53 AM »
My wife finished the series last night. I probably watched 80% of the series again along with her. She loved the show.....she was a real 'mom' about Jesse and just felt really bad for him the whole time. The scene when Hank was killed really got her also.....really got me the first time I saw it. She loved Mike also and was ticked when Walt killed him.

She's gonna start Better Call Saul to try and catch up in time so that we can watch Season 4 together.

I was pulling for Walt to succeed in his original plan to navigate this criminal underworld until the moment when Hank discovered who Heisenberg was.  In that instant my allegiance switched and I wanted Hank to finally catch the guy - everything he had been through while chasing Heisenberg made me want him to finally come out on top and overcome the assassination attempt, job problems, etc.

So when Hank died it was so crushing.  That episode (Ozymandias) is amazing.  Walt's actions finally caught up to him and the consequences were catastrophic to his family in so many ways.

We couldn't get into Better Call Saul, despite a few early season 1 cameos.  I think if I'm watching a show in that universe, I want Walt, Jesse and Hank and Saul every week.  I wasn't really into watching the guy become Saul Goodman.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1235 on: March 30, 2018, 08:23:12 AM »

I was pulling for Walt to succeed in his original plan to navigate this criminal underworld until the moment when Hank discovered who Heisenberg was.  In that instant my allegiance switched and I wanted Hank to finally catch the guy - everything he had been through while chasing Heisenberg made me want him to finally come out on top and overcome the assassination attempt, job problems, etc.

So when Hank died it was so crushing.  That episode (Ozymandias) is amazing.  Walt's actions finally caught up to him and the consequences were catastrophic to his family in so many ways.

We couldn't get into Better Call Saul, despite a few early season 1 cameos.  I think if I'm watching a show in that universe, I want Walt, Jesse and Hank and Saul every week.  I wasn't really into watching the guy become Saul Goodman.

Right there with you on the evolution of 'caring' about Walt/Hank. After the attempt to kill Hank and the subsequent healing process for him I really started getting in to his character, and....i think he may have been my favorite character on the show. Just like you was pulling for him to take down Walt and for a while I thought that's the direction the show was going...which I guess in a way he succeeded.

But his death and that entire episode was BRUTAL!! So, powerful!! Even re-watching it with my wife I was moved.

As far as 'Better Call Saul'.....I started watching that before I ever saw Breaking Bad. But thanks to non stop prompting of KevShmev and my own brother on what I was missing out on....i binged Breaking Bad in (13) days  :lol   I really like BCS and think this past third season was awesome. I think the writing is just as good....acting is on point and the story is gripping.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #1236 on: March 30, 2018, 08:37:57 AM »
I hated Hank from the get go so his death didn't affect me at all. Always thought he was a douchebag.

Although I will say that I initially wanted Walt to 'win' but over the course of the last season or so I wanted him to get his comeuppance.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1237 on: March 30, 2018, 09:21:02 AM »
I loved Hank. Loved him. He was a great character, and all he wanted to do was do his job and do it well. And god damn did he sell it when he connected the dots and then confronted Walt in the garage. From that point on he was better than ever. I couldn't get enough of his thirst for justice, working with Jesse to get Walt, finally placing him under arrest... and then Jack shows up. The final moments with Jack aiming the gun at Hank were just soul crushing, I must've bitten the nails off every one of my fingers watching Ozymandias. Probably the single best episode of television I've ever seen and I'll gush any time it's brought up.

"My name is ASAC Schrader, and you can go fuck yourself." Chills!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1238 on: March 30, 2018, 12:16:06 PM »
I had a love/hate relationship with Hank's character. He was clearly very troubled at times (beating Jesse within an inch of life) and others he had the best of intentions but was still also such a moron. Then he'd do a 180 and make a really great and insightful discovery or connection in a case. By the end of the show his obsession with catching Walt made him a better detective than it did an enforcer of the law and he seemingly lost nearly all of that doofusness that he had in the early part of the series. He was great to watch though.

RIP DTP.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1239 on: March 30, 2018, 12:26:08 PM »
I had a love/hate relationship with Hank's character. He was clearly very troubled at times (beating Jesse within an inch of life) and others he had the best of intentions but was still also such a moron. Then he'd do a 180 and make a really great and insightful discovery or connection in a case. By the end of the show his obsession with catching Walt made him a better detective than it did an enforcer of the law and he seemingly lost nearly all of that doofusness that he had in the early part of the series. He was great to watch though.

Yeah. Like I said, it wasn't until after the attempted assassination that I really started to dig his character. Up to that point he played a solid role....but after that it seemed like his character took a turn....which I imagine 'in real life' could happen if you came that close to death

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1240 on: March 30, 2018, 05:17:29 PM »
The flash forwards in Season 5 were a great example of the unbelievable writing.

Oh no, Jesse is going to burn Walt's house down!  Wait, no he's not, because we saw in the flash forward that the house is fine (albeit vandalized with graffiti), so what is going to stop Jesse from burning the house down?

Oh no, Hank is arresting Walt and he is going to jail! But wait, Walt is free in the flash foward, so what will happen where Walt is still free?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1241 on: March 30, 2018, 10:07:37 PM »
Yeah, I was super suspicious of how they'd make it work but it was truly perfect.

It was even more impressive when Gilligan revealed in an interview that they had no idea how they were going to put to use the massive arsenal in Walt's trunk at the time of filming.

RIP DTP.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1242 on: March 31, 2018, 07:06:41 AM »
I was crushed too by Hank's death, but he was a bit of a.... not really, asshole, but at time he could be difficult to have around. He's a serious and toned down version of Elrich Bachman from Silicon Valley - the dude who is such a cool bro and assumes everyone loves to have him around ("Hey, get my Schraderbeer"), the one so sure of himself that at times become patronizing or smartassing in his ways etc... yeah, I get it dude, you're a superman, good for you, not stop flaunting your supposed awesomeness all around all the time.

Still, I fully emphatize with all the bad things he had to endure, and he went down like an hero. It was heartbreaking and brutal: Jack shooting him in the face as he was barely finished talking ("Do what you gotta d..."), the echo of the shot reverbering throughout the valley... that was one of the most poignant and dramatic moments of recent television, ever.

And to think it's all the fault of a random though-looking dude. The one that spooked Walter when he was supposed to meet with Jesse wearing a wire, while he was just waiting for his son. If he wasn't for him, Walter would have walked into the trap and he would have been arrested and none of the disasters that followed would have happened.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1243 on: March 31, 2018, 07:23:03 AM »
Heh, that is true, but there are so many "what if"s with a show like that.

What if Hank doesn't have to take a dump and never stumbles across Leaves of Grass?

What if Hank had called for backup first instead of calling Marie to brag about having arrested Walt? (might not have saved his life, but everybody else likely doesn't get away there)

In so many ways, the way Hank played it after finding out about Walt was brilliant, and in many ways, his pride got the best of him, leading to his downfall.

Seven deadly sins, and the biggest for Walt and Hank was the same: pride.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1244 on: March 31, 2018, 07:28:28 AM »
Seven deadly sins, and the biggest for Walt and Hank was the same: pride.

That's for sure. When Walt was telling Hank that Gael was just a follower and not the actual Heisenberg, I was almost shouting at the screen "Shut up!!! shut up!!! what are you doing, you moron??? shut the hell up!!!!" Geez how I wanted to punch Walter for his sheer stupidity and his unforgivable pride. He had a patsy ready and served but nooo, he couldn't let someone else take credit for his work even if it meant making him the perfect fall guy and get anyone else off the Heisenberg trail.

And the best thing is that it was all believable and in line with his character. Often characters do dumb things because the plot demands it, that was an absolutely dumb thing for Walter to do, but it was perfectly in line with his character.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1245 on: March 31, 2018, 08:10:59 AM »
My favorite Walt "pride" moment is "Stay out of my territory." Walt was ready to leave the business, but after chuckling about seeing some wannabes buying stuff to cook meth at the hardware store, the realization hit him that someone else was going to cook meth in his town and his pride took over.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1246 on: March 31, 2018, 12:26:31 PM »
And then Thank You Scientist comes on and I'm like
"Oh it's on"

RIP DTP.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1247 on: April 02, 2018, 08:28:21 AM »
I always thought Hank was a dumbass for going so hard after Walt once he made the connection. At that point it was a crushing defeat for Hank that he probably should have learned to live with. He was no longer a cop, and if he managed to bust Walt he'd be the one that looked like the jackass for letting his BiL cook for so long. Fairly or not he'd be implicated. He needed to lick his wounds, check his pride at the door, and move forward. I know for me learning all of the details would have been what's important.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1248 on: April 02, 2018, 08:49:30 AM »
Hank precisely knew he would have been the dumbass whose brother in law was Heisenberg. He esplicity tells Maria that the moment he walks with the evidence into the police station is carrer is over, and that's precisely why he was hell bent in nailing Walt and have him dead to rights.

Sure, he could have believed Walter that he was going to be dead soon, but why believe anything coming from his mouth after years of deception?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1249 on: April 02, 2018, 08:55:15 AM »
The whole thing is Hank's fault. Had he not brought Walt on the ride along, none of this ever would have happened.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1250 on: April 02, 2018, 09:17:49 AM »
The whole thing is Hank's fault. Had he not brought Walt on the ride along, none of this ever would have happened.

How true. Like Kev mentioned.....I love how the show illustrates how apparent very small, meaningless decisions ultimately affect big situations.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1251 on: April 11, 2018, 08:37:26 AM »
"Oh it's on"

wait, TYS was used in a Breaking Bad episode?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1252 on: April 12, 2018, 12:17:27 PM »
The entire management team has been in LA all week and I recently upgraded my cellphone plan to unlimited 4G. I've had Breaking Bad in my cube all week. I'm watching the scene now where Ted has Skyler sing Happy Birthday to him in front of everyone... pisses me off every time. I don't know what it is about the scene that fills me with rage. It's annoying and a chore to watch.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1253 on: April 12, 2018, 05:35:18 PM »
The entire management team has been in LA all week and I recently upgraded my cellphone plan to unlimited 4G. I've had Breaking Bad in my cube all week. I'm watching the scene now where Ted has Skyler sing Happy Birthday to him in front of everyone... pisses me off every time. I don't know what it is about the scene that fills me with rage. It's annoying and a chore to watch.

I agree. I could probably count on one hand the number of scenes I dislike (and still have fingers to spare) in this show, but that's one of them.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1254 on: April 12, 2018, 06:04:41 PM »
"Oh it's on"

wait, TYS was used in a Breaking Bad episode?

Wooooow I do this all the time and I have no idea why. It was TV On The Radio, the hardware store "stay out of my territory" scene. I always mix the two bands up for no reason.  :huh:

RIP DTP.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1255 on: April 13, 2018, 04:27:55 PM »
A great photo from weeks ago on the BB tour facebook page.......the bus (excuse me, RV) was parked in front of the White house, and a 727 flew over.

Wonder how much they paid the airline to do so at that moment ;)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1256 on: April 28, 2018, 05:08:11 PM »
My friend went to see her family in Albuquerque and brought me back a gift.

Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1257 on: April 29, 2018, 03:24:14 AM »
Hahaha I want it too!!!

Just for curiosity, what it is? candy that you can eat or plastic stuff you're supposed to not take away from the envelope?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1258 on: November 07, 2018, 08:48:26 AM »
Breaking Bad movie in the works. Not a lot of detail in the article....only that all the major writers/directors are involved.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/breaking-bad-movie-creator-vince-gilligan-works-1158881