Author Topic: Breaking Bad (**SPOILERS MAY BE PRESENT**)  (Read 154951 times)

Online faizoff

Re: Breaking Bad (**SPOILERS MAY BE PRESENT**)
« Reply #1190 on: May 28, 2015, 11:17:24 AM »
I rewatched the last three seasons over the last few weeks. I never get tired of this show. This time around, I thought of something at the very end that I hadn't thought of before.

Walter presumably dies on the floor of the meth lab at Tod and Crew's place. Prior to that scene, Walt was in the car with Skinny P and Badger. They talked to Walt about the blue stuff still being on the market and were shocked to find out that it wasn't Walt cooking it. Now, had this all ended with Walt, Tod, and Crew dying somewhere besides the hideout, Jessie could have probably been easily linked to being the cook at that site. Did Walt end up giving Jessie (unintentionally) one final break? The feds found Walt and probably just assumed he's been cooking all this time. They have no reason to persue Jessie.

It could be possible that what plays out. But I think with him being spotted/suspected of being up in New Hampshire, not sure how they'd tie it to Walt having done all that cooking. I mean your theory isn't far fetched, definitely a good line of thinking.

I recently got the complete series boxset and went straight to the commentaries, so far finished the first two seasons and they've been hilarious. Such a joy to listen to not a single dull moment.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1191 on: May 28, 2015, 04:46:49 PM »
I rewatched the last three seasons over the last few weeks. I never get tired of this show. This time around, I thought of something at the very end that I hadn't thought of before.

Walter presumably dies on the floor of the meth lab at Tod and Crew's place. Prior to that scene, Walt was in the car with Skinny P and Badger. They talked to Walt about the blue stuff still being on the market and were shocked to find out that it wasn't Walt cooking it. Now, had this all ended with Walt, Tod, and Crew dying somewhere besides the hideout, Jessie could have probably been easily linked to being the cook at that site. Did Walt end up giving Jessie (unintentionally) one final break? The feds found Walt and probably just assumed he's been cooking all this time. They have no reason to persue Jessie.

Possibly, but Jesse's fingerprints will be all over the lab.  Then again, for all of the times Jesse talked to the cops, I don't think he was ever actually arrested, so they may not have his prints on file, thus they wouldn't be able to link the prints to him. 

However, like fiazoff said, they know Walt was in New Hampshire several days earlier, so I do not buy them assuming Walt was there the whole time.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1192 on: June 11, 2015, 07:47:01 AM »

The Spanish version of Breaking Bad (Metastasis) Season 1 is on Netflix. I started watching it thinking it was a parody, and it was a 110% legit reproduction of the show. It's actually quite awesome and I intend to watch the whole thing (with subtitles).

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1193 on: June 11, 2015, 08:27:48 AM »
I've been waiting years for this to pop up somewhere I could watch it. Too bad I don't have Netflix yet and it probably isn't on the AU version anyway. ::)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1194 on: June 11, 2015, 09:14:27 AM »
Wtf. What is the point of that?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1195 on: June 11, 2015, 09:17:12 AM »

I don't think it's any different than a show like The Office or Wilfred coming to the states. I think it's really cool actually.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1196 on: June 11, 2015, 09:47:47 AM »
I don't know Wilfred, but The Office turned out quite different didn't it? In general, most of these remakes are pointless unless the show-makers want to do something different with it.

This looks like a shot-for-shot remake.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1197 on: June 11, 2015, 09:52:34 AM »
I don't know Wilfred, but The Office turned out quite different didn't it? In general, most of these remakes are pointless unless the show-makers want to do something different with it.

This looks like a shot-for-shot remake.

It is and it isn't. I like the fact that it's the same story in a new setting. It's possible that they will deviate from the US script down the road, but for the time being, they shows are very similar. I think it's cool. Maybe it isn't for everyone, but I think most BB fans will get a kick out of it.

The US Office went 8 seasons longer than the UK version  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1198 on: June 11, 2015, 06:30:07 PM »

This.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1199 on: June 11, 2015, 09:15:24 PM »
I dunno, Chino, I don't have any faith that this will deviate from the storyline like The Office did in the US. I'm pretty sure, like ariich said, it's going to end up as a nearly shot for shot aping of the original. I mean it doesn't even look like they're trying to change up the characters appearance or anything.

I'm curious to see how it is being received and if people actually think it's an original series instead of a recreation.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #1200 on: June 12, 2015, 04:59:33 AM »
Can't say I'm excited to watch that... I guess it's Mexican Spanish, so that will make it quite difficult and unappealing for me since there are many different words and expressions and the accent usually bugs me. I guess Americans watching shows with strong British accents could feel similarly.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1201 on: June 12, 2015, 05:20:56 AM »
I would laugh my ass off if my country decided to do a reproduction of Breaking Bad or any american big budget TV-show for that matter. It wouldn't in a million year happen anyway though. I even get annoyed with subtitles these days which still is 100% better than voice dubs that some countries still do. Whenever i'm in Germany or Italy for example I can't watch 99% of the channels because the stupid voice dubs in every sitcom, movie or tv-show.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1202 on: June 12, 2015, 06:01:33 AM »
I think you should all watch at least the first episode.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1203 on: June 12, 2015, 08:23:38 PM »

This.

My thoughts exactly… but I'm still interested in watching an episode just to see what it's like  :lol

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1204 on: June 13, 2015, 12:15:06 AM »
I'm not. I've seen Breaking Bad, no need to drag myself through it all over again in a different language.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1205 on: June 13, 2015, 12:21:52 AM »
I just want to see for myself how bad it is and how blatantly it duplicates Breaking Bad.

Offline emblempride

• Scammy Flammy Mammy
  • You're just like a motorcycle, too tired
« Reply #1206 on: June 16, 2015, 03:38:52 AM »
Seen the name come on the local Spanish channel, but had no idea that it was, uh, this. Apparently Gilligan has consulted on it and they've tweaked a lot - of course only to better match up the story with Colombian culture. So, like different gangs and no RV, exaggerated acting, the article I read makes an interesting point about there always having to be music playing even when Walter's getting diagnosed (when in BB, of course, everything turns into a high-pitched monotone). I'm not Colombian, but if Brazilian television is anything to go by, yeah, Latinos can't, even for a moment, hold back on the soundtrack.

From the little I've seen and read, it's definitely going for shot-for-shot with a smaller budget making necessary changes because of that and because it only had 40-ish episodes and wanted to finish the storyline. Doesn't seem like it deviates much, or that it ever intended to.  No idea why they just couldn't do subtitles for BB, though it's probably best it wasn't dubbed. It's shit, I reckon, with actors and crew just stuck in a raw deal having to do something that's already been done way better.

However, seeing Colombian Walt say to himself, instead of "Jesse Pinkman" but in a similarly shocked tone to Walt Walt, "Jose Miguel Rosas", was insane and hilarious. Also, Colombian Saul doesn't have commercials, he has his own late night talk show dedicated to legal advice.
"Hey guys" - Gregg Turkington

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1207 on: June 16, 2015, 06:50:02 AM »
I'm telling you.... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1208 on: August 04, 2015, 10:54:04 AM »
Little bump.

I don't know if this has been shared here but my coworker showed it to me and I thought it was an amazing fan tribute montage to the characters, I've only seen Walter White's version and none of the others yet. Excellent stuff.

The Evolution of Walter White - Fan tribute
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online faizoff

« Reply #1209 on: October 26, 2015, 11:59:33 AM »
I finally watched all the episodes with the commentary, these commentaries were such a delight to listen to. I like that season 4 & 5 had one for every episode. I really miss this show and everytime I watch it I always get a feeling of great contentment and sense of satisfaction. If you don't have the boxset I highly recommend it just for the commentaries. Now I need to watch all the extra documentaries and stuff.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1210 on: March 22, 2016, 07:59:33 PM »
He's alive!!

:lol :lol :lol

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1211 on: March 23, 2016, 04:58:15 AM »
 :tup  Emailed to a group of BB fans.  Thank you for this.

Hank....the character I disliked the most at the beginning, and then pulled for the most later on.

They aren't going to do a sequel called 'The Walking Bad' are they?

« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 12:53:53 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1212 on: March 23, 2016, 06:38:41 PM »
I always like Hank, because he was always entertaining. Okay, his tendency to drop racial slurs early on was off-putting, but they ditched that from his character early on in Season 2 once they figured out that he was otherwise a very likable character.  Just like Walt, Hank's biggest weakness was his pride.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1213 on: March 24, 2016, 09:22:45 AM »
I liked him before the exploding tortoise. After that he lost the gung-ho demeanor that made him so entertaining.

And I suppose pride is what did him in. I always thought he acted like an idiot once he put the WW together. Pride will do that.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1214 on: March 24, 2016, 12:15:45 PM »
I always like Hank, because he was always entertaining. Okay, his tendency to drop racial slurs early on was off-putting, but they ditched that from his character early on in Season 2 once they figured out that he was otherwise a very likable character.  Just like Walt, Hank's biggest weakness was his pride.
I didn't like Hank at the beginning as well, but as the show progressed he became a really deep and complex character you couldn't help to relate with. His Heisenberg obsession? Him finding out that Heisenberg was Walt all along? That's some pretty dense crap.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1215 on: March 24, 2016, 05:47:46 PM »
I liked him before the exploding tortoise. After that he lost the gung-ho demeanor that made him so entertaining.

Okay, but I think an event like that would traumatize just about anyone, and while some of Hank's bravado after that was for show, he was very humanized after that.  The scene in One Minute where he tells Marie that he's not the man he thought he was, is just phenomenal.

His Heisenberg obsession? Him finding out that Heisenberg was Walt all along? That's some pretty dense crap.

Yep, I think that would cause a lot of people to act out in various ways, and when one of them is your brother-in-law who is a DEA agent with a cowboy complex ("I want to be the one to catch him, and I want to be the one to slap the cuffs on him." - slight paraphrasing), Hank's behavior following his discovery made total sense.  I mean, did we really expect Hank to NOT go after Walt with guns blazing once he found out?

And the sad thing, for Hank, is that, had Jack and his crew not shown up right after he arrested Walt, his full frontal assault plan would have worked to a "t."  He had Walt, in his words, dead to rights.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1216 on: March 24, 2016, 06:44:54 PM »

Okay, but I think an event like that would traumatize just about anyone, and while some of Hank's bravado after that was for show, he was very humanized after that.  The scene in One Minute where he tells Marie that he's not the man he thought he was, is just phenomenal.
I agree with all of that. I just personally liked the character that thought he was more than he really was better than the morose character who felt inadequate.
I mean, did we really expect Hank to NOT go after Walt with guns blazing once he found out?
I certainly expected him to. Hank was a hot-head and prideful, so weighing the pros and cons was never going to happen. He could only make the "Hank" choice and the disastrous consequences were inevitable.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1217 on: March 26, 2016, 06:20:10 AM »
Well, he wasn't 100% hot blooded - I remember a scene with Marie with him telling her "The minute I walk in with the evidence my carrer is over, he was under my nose and I didn't see him", so he wanted to make sure he got him dead to rights.

And, he actually got Walter. His bait with Jesse and the fake burning money worked, he got him. It was an horrible case of bad luck and "How the hell could I see that coming" that Walter called the nazis and not even because of Hank, since he thought he just needed help with Jesse. Hank finally got Heisenberg but stumbled at the very last step.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1218 on: March 26, 2016, 08:33:58 AM »
I thought it was really cool how the flash forwards made several instances of the last season less predictable in the case of "what is going to happen?"

Jesse comes to burn Walt's house down and the episode ends - but we know from the flash forward that Walt later comes back and the house, while abandoned, is not burned down, so instead of wondering if Jesse will burn it down or not, the question was, what happens to prevent Jesse from burning it down?

Same thing with Hank arresting Walt - we know that Walt is free after being outed, via the flash forwards, so even when Hank is arresting him, we know that Walt is going to be freed at some point. This one was easier to guess, as my gut told me from the start that Jack and his crew would show up anyway even though Walt told them not to once he realized it was a trap set by Hank.  Still, great storytelling in that regard.

Plus, the questions lingered all season (both 5a and 5b) of who were the machine guns for, as well as who was the ricin for (5b). 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1219 on: March 27, 2016, 11:45:49 AM »
Well, he wasn't 100% hot blooded - I remember a scene with Marie with him telling her "The minute I walk in with the evidence my carrer is over, he was under my nose and I didn't see him", so he wanted to make sure he got him dead to rights.

And, he actually got Walter. His bait with Jesse and the fake burning money worked, he got him. It was an horrible case of bad luck and "How the hell could I see that coming" that Walter called the nazis and not even because of Hank, since he thought he just needed help with Jesse. Hank finally got Heisenberg but stumbled at the very last step.
At the end of the day Hank lost. In fact he got blown out. Twice. He lost the first game when he failed to figure it out thus wrecking his career. He lost the rematch when he figured it out but focused on revenge and wound up dead. The rematch was ill advised, to say the least. And while his gambit to lure Walt out to the desert was brilliant, his execution was fatally flawed. Walt's been beating him consistently for the last several years, and has managed take over the entire South Western crank market beating out the cartels to do so and employing (from Hank's perspective) a great deal of violence in the process. So he's going to meet him out in the desert with nobody but Gomey to back him up? The likelihood that Walt calls in backup was extremely high. I was saddened to see Hank get it, but he honestly had it coming.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1220 on: March 27, 2016, 07:27:22 PM »
I disagree with that summation.

He wasn't "meeting" Walt in the desert where Walt might have backup; he tricked him into suddenly coming out there, and with Jesse telling him that he will burn all of his money if he hangs up on him, puts him on hold, loses the call, etc., he set it up to where Walt calling for backup was an impossibility until it was too late.  It was just too bad for Hank that Walt already had Jack and his crew ready to roll at a moment's notice.  Now, after arresting Walt, calling Marie to tell her instead of immediately calling for backup himself was a massive tactical error, as well as a lapse in judgment, but I would not say Hank was "blown out" in the battle of wits with Walt once they both had shown their hands.  Like I have said before, he did let his pride get the best of him, and he was too much of a cowboy, wanting to catch Walt on his own so he could be the one to slap the cuffs on him, but like you said, his plan was brilliant.  He lost, but even though he ended up dead, I think saying he got blown out is a bit unfair. 

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1221 on: March 27, 2016, 08:17:19 PM »
I agree so much with all of that. It was a great showdown and it was close enough to the end of the series that I really didn't know who was going to 'win'. Both had great plans and back-ups but at the end of it all, Hank jumped the gun and was blinded by his pride.

I'd also like to take this moment that, even after years of being over, that stupid, sloppy cunt Marie is the worst thing to ever happen on television. What a grating, annoying little bitch twat. Good LORD I am so sad we didn't get to see her die an agonizing death before Hank made that call so he might have made it instead to call for back up and we'd have a TRUE shootout between the Nazi-bros and the Piglet-bros. Although shit probably would have gone down anyway before the backup arrived.

Mainly Marie hate. She makes Skylar look like a brilliant, beautiful, goddess-like genius who is perfect in every way. That is how horrible Marie is.

Anyway fantastic series. :lol I'm going to have fun binging both Saul and this again back to back. So fucking much. It's going to be an homage orgy.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1222 on: March 27, 2016, 08:49:19 PM »
I think I've said it before, but I will say it again: I never quite got why so many people hated Skylar.  Yes, she was a nag - I think it was the pilot where it was shown right away, when she busted Walt's chops for putting a $15 purchase on the wrong credit card :lol - but once her husband starting disappearing and acting weird (seasons 1 and 2), I think the way she acted is how most wives would act if they suspected their husband was up to something. And once she found out he was cooking meth, was she supposed to skip down the street with glee? :lol

For me, Marie was always annoying, yes, but they did lessen her annoyance over time, and they did make her somewhat of a sympathetic character when she legitimately trying to help Hank during his recovery and he was being a dick to her more often than not.  Still, she was certainly a self-centered person, but while annoying, it was like annoying in an entertaining way.  Plus, it added another dynamic to Hank's character, when you saw what he had to deal with when not at work. :lol :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1223 on: March 27, 2016, 09:02:57 PM »
I honestly didn't hate Skylar at all even if she isn't my favorite character by a long shot, I just used it as a comparison for the reason that you just said, because for the most part she is hated by most fans. She annoyed me, but yeah by the latter-half of the series she didn't and I understood why she acted the way she did and it was pretty much justified. I also really felt for her at the end in that last scene, that was rough.

I can't logically agree on Marie. She was always a mindless, witless, blind fool who right up until the end annoyed the ever living hell out of me. Especially the last time we see her talking on the phone with Skylar about how without a doubt Walt is either dead or will be caught...a point that while yeah, it comes true...is more or less irrelevant given that Walt walked right into it purposefully. Also she is the worst liar on the planet...she easily trumps Walt and even he was pretty telling, except she lied about her psychotic kleptomania. But yeah Hank was one tough son of a bitch, and I use that comment only to reference him dealing with and not viciously murdering his wife.

Boy, the women in this series really were thrown to the wolves.  :lol I'm cool with Sky by the end but...Marie will always be in my book of most hated characters.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1224 on: March 27, 2016, 09:30:10 PM »
Like many, I was annoyed with Skylar, but I always tempered that with the fact that she was mostly in the dark as to what was happening around her. The audience was made to sympathize with Walt at nearly every turn, but she didn't have that luxury of viewing their struggling relationship through that lens. Even once she found out, she didn't ask for any of it and was flying by the seat of her pants as to the type of person she wanted to be. Doesn't justify all her actions but makes them more understandable, and more importantly, makes her an interesting and flawed character.