Author Topic: Breaking Bad (**SPOILERS MAY BE PRESENT**)  (Read 154869 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Breaking Bad (**SPOILERS MAY BE PRESENT**)
« Reply #1120 on: March 30, 2014, 04:24:04 PM »
Well, I just finished the last episode... man, what a fantastic series. I really can't say enough nice things about it.
That last 8 episode stretch is a roller coaster, ain't it? I sat down to watch the first one and blew through 4 before I made myself go to bed.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1121 on: March 30, 2014, 10:04:30 PM »
Well, I just finished the last episode... man, what a fantastic series. I really can't say enough nice things about it.
That last 8 episode stretch is a roller coaster, ain't it? I sat down to watch the first one and blew through 4 before I made myself go to bed.

That kind of "I can't stop watching!" mentality is what I had for seasons 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5a (5b wasn't till weeks later). :lol :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1122 on: March 31, 2014, 08:07:21 AM »
Yeah, the show kept me up late on more than 1 occasion for sure.

For all the people that died, I oddly hoped Mike would be a survivor.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1123 on: March 31, 2014, 08:13:11 AM »
Mike had to go, for the story to play out like it did.  Mike was a great character, but if there ever was a cold-blooded killer on the show, he was the one.  He was basically a murderer for hire (see: him preparing to go ahead with killing Walt at the end of Season 3 because he was ordered to do it). 

On that note, I still find Mike's death scene a bit underwhelming.  Walt's surprised reaction when Mike floors it after being shot is bizarre.  Why does Walt look so surprised?  It just seemed like an odd reaction to have to that. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1124 on: March 31, 2014, 08:17:06 AM »
Mike had to go, for the story to play out like it did.  Mike was a great character, but if there ever was a cold-blooded killer on the show, he was the one.  He was basically a murderer for hire (see: him preparing to go ahead with killing Walt at the end of Season 3 because he was ordered to do it). 
I never really got the impression that Mike was cavalier about killing people. Remember that he really, truly hated Walt. The cold blooded killer and the one that spooked me was the young dude who popped the little kid and Jessy's girlfriend. I have to respect the guy for being business first and all, but man he was a little too chill about it for my tastes.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1125 on: March 31, 2014, 08:20:13 AM »
That is true...Todd was a true psychopath.

I don't think Mike came to truly hate Walt until Season 4, though.  His hatred for Walt first seemed to come about when Walt approached him about getting him into a room with Gus (where Walt said, "I'll take care of the rest.").  It was then Mike realized what a loose cannon Walt was (although he had a glimpse of it in 3 when Walt went nuts trying to get to Ted after Skyler told him about the affair).

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1126 on: March 31, 2014, 10:45:45 AM »
I liked Mike because he was a true professional. He was one of the only characters were emotions never really affected his business. He was great at what he did and performed his tasks as instructed perfectly. For whatever reason that just gave him a bit of mystique to me.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1127 on: March 31, 2014, 12:36:58 PM »
I liked Mike because he was a true professional. He was one of the only characters were emotions never really affected his business. He was great at what he did and performed his tasks as instructed perfectly. For whatever reason that just gave him a bit of mystique to me.

You could argue that his love for his grand daughter is why he was exactly the way you described him to be. If he didn't have her, me may have been a monster.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1128 on: March 31, 2014, 02:32:35 PM »

You could argue that his love for his grand daughter is why he was exactly the way you described him to be. If he didn't have her, me may have been a monster.
I kinda figure that without the granddaughter Mike is less of a monster. He never really seemed happy or like he enjoyed his work. If he hadn't been trying to make her a gazillionaire I doubt he would have been such a henchman. Still, he was certainly a professional.

I suspect Todd was the most professional of them all. That guy did whatever needed to be done and didn't think twice about it. I wouldn't call him a sociopath since he never really acted for his own personal gain, but he certainly had a level of detachment that was pretty damned horrifying. 
E.F. Benson

Offline j

« Reply #1129 on: March 31, 2014, 03:47:11 PM »
On that note, I still find Mike's death scene a bit underwhelming.  Walt's surprised reaction when Mike floors it after being shot is bizarre.  Why does Walt look so surprised?  It just seemed like an odd reaction to have to that.

That's one scene I remember thinking was really weird when I saw it.  Granted, I've only seen it once and my memory of the details is hazy, but I recall being dissatisfied with the whole thing: from Walt's uncharacteristic behavior, to the strange timing of Mike's death, to Walt's strange reaction to his own outburst.  Not to mention it amounted to an unceremonious and anticlimactic end for Mike, but that might have been part of the point.  However, the other gripes stand, although I should probably watch it again and I'm curious to hear others' interpretations.

-J

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1130 on: March 31, 2014, 03:57:03 PM »
I found the shooting highly odd and anticlimactic, however I found Mike's death to be quite nicely done. Spending your final moments sitting next to a river isn't a bad way to go, and Walt making an ass of himself and annoying him was pretty typical. I felt bad for Mike in several regards there. Both the annoyance and the fact that Walt would have certainly been the very last person he'd have wanted to send him on his way.
E.F. Benson

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1131 on: March 31, 2014, 04:28:04 PM »
I found the shooting highly odd and anticlimactic, however I found Mike's death to be quite nicely done. Spending your final moments sitting next to a river isn't a bad way to go, and Walt making an ass of himself and annoying him was pretty typical. I felt bad for Mike in several regards there. Both the annoyance and the fact that Walt would have certainly been the very last person he'd have wanted to send him on his way.
I loved his last words, though.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1132 on: April 03, 2014, 08:42:13 AM »
I just finished watching the series yesterday, and Aaron Paul's performance, for me, is up there with the best of them.

I really felt that the entire series was damn-near flawless.
Do or do not; there is not try.
Trust your Force.  Strong!

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1133 on: April 03, 2014, 10:50:44 AM »
Cross-post with Funny DT Pics:
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1134 on: April 06, 2014, 04:56:10 AM »
Well, people, I'm in. Took me less than a month from Pilot all the way down to Felina. Wow.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1136 on: May 30, 2014, 08:34:03 AM »
Vince Gilligan, the show's creator, said he's dead.  :corn

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1137 on: May 30, 2014, 11:40:10 AM »
I finished watching a week ago.  Disappointing final season only because I didn't want things to unravel the way they did.  But, what can you expect?  That type of lifestyle can't last and it will catch up with you eventually.  However, I wouldn't be surprised to see a follow up series emerge sometime in the future.  I don't think we've seen the last of WW.  But, then again, who knows?  Overall, I thought it was a great show.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1138 on: May 30, 2014, 12:18:14 PM »
I finished watching a week ago.  Disappointing final season only because I didn't want things to unravel the way they did.  But, what can you expect?  That type of lifestyle can't last and it will catch up with you eventually.  However, I wouldn't be surprised to see a follow up series emerge sometime in the future.  I don't think we've seen the last of WW.  But, then again, who knows?  Overall, I thought it was a great show.

Better Call Saul is in production right now.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1139 on: May 30, 2014, 01:13:43 PM »
Granted, that's a prequel, not a follow up (if that's what he meant). I think the chances of any kind of sequel or 'future' installments are very, very slim; and quite honestly I'd be both disappointed and surprised to see it happen. It'd unravel everything the end arc set up and Walter's comeuppance that was so perfect for the show. Cranston has, many times throughout the filming of the show, stated his own opinions as to what Walt's fate was; it was pretty clear that Gilligan didn't divulge much even to the actor's while filming. My point is that this new uproar (media-wise) over Cranston 'wanting' to return to the character really has no impact on whether it actually is a viable option or not. Unless Gilligan goes against both his word and final vision for the show, Walt is dead and the only spin-off's we'll be getting will be a prequel to the show and/or will show other points of view of other characters during the events of the show. On that note, I really think we will see more of Walter White, but before the events of the show.

But I cannot wait for BCS! I love the character and he's got the perfect balance of idiocy, wit, cunning and revolt that a bus-bench lawyer should have. He's also surprisingly clever when he needs to be, so I'm expecting some serious scenes as well. I truly hope they delve into some of the earlier stuff we saw of him in the show, before and while Walt and Jesse were vetting him (next to the grave). I love the scene when he mentions 'Ignasio' and his boys coming to get Saul to kill him. It sounded really serious and that Saul may have already, as others has said in the past, have a fake name and a 'new identity' from a major fuck up. Of course it'll be great to see new scenes and his 'rival lawyer'.  :lol

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1140 on: May 30, 2014, 01:16:36 PM »
I've read that it's going to be both a prequel and sequel.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1141 on: May 30, 2014, 01:21:48 PM »
I should've been more clear, I mean in regards to Water surviving. Yeah we'll see Saul and how he survives. I'm actually hoping that they bring up this new lawyer (McKean) in the post-BB material, it'd be awesome to have it a running thing as opposed to a 'what was Saul doing before he met Walt' shtick. I am really excited to see Mike again too; that was the only character's death where I genuinely hated Walt. At least a direct death.

RIP DTP.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1142 on: May 30, 2014, 03:58:27 PM »
RJ MITT

In

Breaking Bad II--The Revenge

But I cannot wait for BCS! I love the character and he's got the perfect balance of idiocy, wit, cunning and revolt that a bus-bench lawyer should have. He's also surprisingly clever when he needs to be, so I'm expecting some serious scenes as well. I truly hope they delve into some of the earlier stuff we saw of him in the show, before and while Walt and Jesse were vetting him (next to the grave). I love the scene when he mentions 'Ignasio' and his boys coming to get Saul to kill him. It sounded really serious and that Saul may have already, as others has said in the past, have a fake name and a 'new identity' from a major fuck up. Of course it'll be great to see new scenes and his 'rival lawyer'.  :lol
The graveside vetting was one of my very favorite scenes with Saul. When he asks "why don't you just kill Badger?" in such an earnest and curious tone it cracked me up, particularly since Walt and Jesse recognized the logic of his question.
E.F. Benson

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1143 on: May 30, 2014, 04:41:16 PM »
Yeah, if I recall correctly, they plan to bounce around a bit chronologically.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1144 on: May 30, 2014, 09:27:32 PM »
RJ MITT

In

Breaking Bad II--The Revenge

The graveside vetting was one of my very favorite scenes with Saul. When he asks "why don't you just kill Badger?" in such an earnest and curious tone it cracked me up, particularly since Walt and Jesse recognized the logic of his question.

:lol Definitely a shining scene from the early days; I love it all around for both the humor, the set up of history for Saul, and the fact that Walter and Jesse were so pure compared to their current selves that they were downright ignorant about most of the shady stuff.

Yeah, if I recall correctly, they plan to bounce around a bit chronologically.

Now that would be interesting, I never considered that. I always assumed it'd be a 'first half - the past' and then they'd give us a little re-cap of the BB happenings, then 'second half - post BB'. That'd be cool if they did the usual Tarentino (albeit much less jarring) shtick of fusing flashbacks with current time.

Either way they roll with it, this has the potential to be very interesting and at the same time very funny. I have high hopes for it.

RIP DTP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1145 on: August 19, 2014, 01:03:51 PM »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1146 on: August 19, 2014, 02:02:45 PM »
"Ah bitch"! Knew it was squeezed in somewhere.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1147 on: August 19, 2014, 03:41:04 PM »
Get ready to laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovqM72em1dA&sns=tw
Los Pollos Hermanos postcard at 4:03, on the wall next to the guitar strings.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1148 on: August 25, 2014, 11:02:45 AM »
30 second teaser for Better Call Saul

https://www.youtube.com/embed/YpV-fRh5hcQ?enablejsapi=1

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1150 on: August 25, 2014, 01:34:46 PM »
In BCS I expect more details regarding the public masturbation case he mixed up with Badger's.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #1151 on: August 25, 2014, 02:32:02 PM »
Yeah, the show kept me up late on more than 1 occasion for sure.

For all the people that died, I oddly hoped Mike would be a survivor.

I'm not really sorry that he died, but I didn't like the way it happened.
He shouldn't have died until closer to the end of the series.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1152 on: August 25, 2014, 03:39:37 PM »
I certainly would have liked to see Mike just up and disappear, which he would easily have been able to do, but his granddaughter pretty much ruled that out. In fact, I'm not sure the whole thing with her was such a good idea. Like others, it was always his professionalism that I liked about him. Adding personal motivation took away from that a bit, I think.

E.F. Benson

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1153 on: August 25, 2014, 05:20:48 PM »
I certainly would have liked to see Mike just up and disappear, which he would easily have been able to do, but his granddaughter pretty much ruled that out. In fact, I'm not sure the whole thing with her was such a good idea. Like others, it was always his professionalism that I liked about him. Adding personal motivation took away from that a bit, I think.
Every character on the show has a flaw. Guess Mike needed one, too.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1154 on: August 25, 2014, 06:04:55 PM »
Every character on the show has a flaw. Guess Mike needed one, too.

Serious question... Not counting his physical deformity, what was JR's flaw?