Author Topic: Breaking Bad (**SPOILERS MAY BE PRESENT**)  (Read 154823 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Breaking Bad (**SPOILERS MAY BE PRESENT**)
« Reply #1050 on: February 16, 2014, 08:53:10 PM »
I'm the ultimate thread-killer, apparently. This thread cannot die, dammit. Next thing I'm going to start watching Dexter and I'll kill that thread, too.

Anyway. Just had to mention how stupid Gus's death scene was.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1051 on: February 16, 2014, 09:21:10 PM »
I recall Giancarlo Esposito talking about the bit with him adjusting his tie. When a person suffers trauma and gets all shocky, they tend to revert back to simple, reflexive actions. He envisioned Gustavo on autopilot and reverting back to base, instinctive acts while winding down. I liked it. Add to that the editing of the scene was tip-top.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1052 on: February 17, 2014, 01:17:53 PM »
Right after Gus kneels to the ground dead, I love the shot in the background of Hector's wheelchair, completely mangled.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1053 on: February 17, 2014, 01:45:50 PM »
 I donīt think Gusī death scene was stupid - to me, itīs one of the most memorable scenes of the show. Just as other less obvious ones:

- the "pizza on the roof" scene;

- Skylarīs "shutupshutupshutupshutupshutup" meltdown with Marie;

- Hank and Walt stalking Gus Fring looking for clues when Hank sings "Eye of the Tiger";

- Gailīs death scene;

- Tortugaīs head on the back of a turtle!

- The first time Saul meets Skylar - he says something like "I see Walt chooses his women just like he chooses his lawyers - only the very best, with just the right amount of dirty"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1054 on: February 17, 2014, 01:50:22 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdhTL5G32Gw

Walt's reaction is awesome, almost like, he had to be a jackass the minute he met my wife. :lol :lol :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1055 on: February 17, 2014, 01:56:34 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdhTL5G32Gw

Walt's reaction is awesome, almost like, he had to be a jackass the minute he met my wife. :lol :lol :lol

That was quick!

Hey I was wondering if you could help me find a particular scene: itīs the one where Skinny Pete brings Walt to meet Tuco for the first time - Pete looks at the camera in disdain and shakes his arms, as if heīs asking " īsup, mothafuckas??!?!". I canīt explain why, but that scene was awesome!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1056 on: February 17, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »
Probably the music, I absolutely love that track, "Los Pistoleros" by Jonaty Garcia. It's the episode titled "Crazy Handful of Nothin'" in which Walt has the most epic scene of exploding the fulminated mercury on the floor of Tuco's 'hideout'. Also the birth of Heisenberg (and the shaved head)...quite the legendary episode in retrospect.

Doing a quick search on Youtube was fruitless...most of the scenes from the episode are of the exploding fulminated mercury. But maybe with enough searching you could find it.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1057 on: February 17, 2014, 04:25:02 PM »
I donīt think Gusī death scene was stupid - to me
I don't know. The explosion blew the door off at an incredible speed (and hospital doors are heavy), ripped off his face, part of his jaw, and completely removed his eye from the socket. Seems far-fetched that he would be able to walk and fix his tie, if only for a moment. I mean, it's a minor nitpick, though. It doesn't take anything away from the series or even the episode.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1058 on: February 17, 2014, 04:33:26 PM »
They did it for effect, I agree that he wouldn't *really* straighten his tie as a final gesture before collapsing.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1059 on: February 17, 2014, 04:37:33 PM »
People are so damn interesting in what they nit-pick and deem what is realistic and unrealistic in terms of television/movies.  :rollin

It's fascinating, really.  :corn

RIP DTP.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1060 on: February 17, 2014, 04:53:10 PM »
Breaking Bad has always been a bit surrealist, which is why I didn't mind Gus's death scene at all.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1061 on: February 17, 2014, 05:53:47 PM »
Breaking Bad has always been a bit surrealist, which is why I didn't mind Gus's death scene at all.

Yeah, is more to make a cool scene than "it really did happened(he didn't walked and fixed his tie)".
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1062 on: February 17, 2014, 07:12:07 PM »
"Say my name."
"You're Heisenberg."
"You're goddamn right."

Holy fuck.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1063 on: February 17, 2014, 08:36:56 PM »
With anything on television or film, there are times you have to suspend belief and just go with it.  Plot holes are much, much worse than the occasional over the top-ness, like Gus's death scene, for example.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1064 on: February 17, 2014, 09:41:02 PM »
I don't know. The explosion blew the door off at an incredible speed (and hospital doors are heavy), ripped off his face, part of his jaw, and completely removed his eye from the socket. Seems far-fetched that he would be able to walk and fix his tie, if only for a moment. I mean, it's a minor nitpick, though. It doesn't take anything away from the series or even the episode.
It depends on how much and which part of his brain was damaged. From stills of him adjusting his tie it looks like not much. The front, right took the brunt of the blast, leaving the all important brain stem relatively unscathed. Consider that undamaged parts of the brain will continue functioning as long as it has oxygenated blood. This is why plenty of people remain conscious and even recover from gunshots to the head (Robert Kennedy). The heart will continue delivering that blood for 10-15 seconds after it sustains massive trauma (John Deering), so bleeding out isn't a particularly quick process, either. In Fring's case all that was required was for enough of the brain that dealt with motor skills to remain functional for him to do what he did. He wasn't going to play chess or discuss Nietzsche, but basic instinctive behavior was certainly plausible. 

Of course this also requires functional arms and legs, and that's probably far more problematic than the brain injury.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1065 on: February 17, 2014, 10:05:52 PM »
Of course this also requires functional arms and legs, and that's probably far more problematic than the brain injury.
I think this may have just pinpointed my particular issue with that scene. A shockwave powerful enough to blast that heavy door off its hinges certainly would have shattered or broken bones, especially considering his proximity to the bomb. For a guy who was at ground zero, he had great posture.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1066 on: February 17, 2014, 10:13:12 PM »
It depends on how much and which part of his brain was damaged. From stills of him adjusting his tie it looks like not much. The front, right took the brunt of the blast, leaving the all important brain stem relatively unscathed. Consider that undamaged parts of the brain will continue functioning as long as it has oxygenated blood. This is why plenty of people remain conscious and even recover from gunshots to the head (Robert Kennedy). The heart will continue delivering that blood for 10-15 seconds after it sustains massive trauma (John Deering), so bleeding out isn't a particularly quick process, either. In Fring's case all that was required was for enough of the brain that dealt with motor skills to remain functional for him to do what he did. He wasn't going to play chess or discuss Nietzsche, but basic instinctive behavior was certainly plausible. 

Holy shit. Suspended belief and rational logic. GOLLY GEE!  :heart yew, Barto.

Jesus fucking christ people. Do you honestly need every piece of fiction to fit reality EXACTLY and proportionally!? Beyond that, all you nay-sayers, have you seen this exact scene happen? Have you been in this exact situation? If not, then quiet yourselves and suspend belief for just a moment and attempt to enjoy yourselves in a fictional world. If you've seen a man blown up by a home-made bomb on a wheelchair, then yeah, bitch and moan all you like. If you haven't, then shut your fingers and please, for the love of santa, realize what the fuck you're complaining over is a television show based in complete fiction. It's like you mofos actually think that you're a valid opinion on the matter of people being blown up by wheelchair bombs and that this is a real issue in the world. :rollin :rollin

RIP DTP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1067 on: February 17, 2014, 10:17:05 PM »
LOL, agreed.  It's like, even if it was unrealistic, why does it matter?  Hell, we could nit pick to death just about every dramatic film or TV show ever made, if we are so damn concerned about everything being completely realistic and believable.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1068 on: February 17, 2014, 10:23:16 PM »
I'm fine with suspension of disbelief and not nitpicking every element of a movie. In fact I'm usually the last person to notice non-sequiturs such as that. However calling something stupid is a different matter, which is what I was commenting on. That implies that VG and GE didn't give any though whatsoever to realism, and I think that's a bit unfair; hence my possible explanation.
E.F. Benson

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1069 on: February 17, 2014, 10:31:12 PM »

Holy shit. Suspended belief and rational logic. GOLLY GEE!  :heart yew, Barto.

Jesus fucking christ people. Do you honestly need every piece of fiction to fit reality EXACTLY and proportionally!? Beyond that, all you nay-sayers, have you seen this exact scene happen? Have you been in this exact situation? If not, then quiet yourselves and suspend belief for just a moment and attempt to enjoy yourselves in a fictional world. If you've seen a man blown up by a home-made bomb on a wheelchair, then yeah, bitch and moan all you like. If you haven't, then shut your fingers and please, for the love of santa, realize what the fuck you're complaining over is a television show based in complete fiction. It's like you mofos actually think that you're a valid opinion on the matter of people being blown up by wheelchair bombs and that this is a real issue in the world. :rollin :rollin
Well damn. I guess I just shouldn't have any opinions at all, unless they're the same as yours.

I wonder, how does nitpicking a minor detail compare to, I don't know, getting one's panties in a wad over a post someone made?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1070 on: February 17, 2014, 10:38:08 PM »
Aw... My panties aren't in a wad, I'm just baffled over people caring about something so fictional. I never said you couldn't have your own opinions, either; it's just that my opinion is that your opinion is ridiculous. If you can deal with that minor detail then I suppose you're good to go. Otherwise, what response do you want? I really don't care what anyone thinks of the show, but to let some kind of detail of reality negate a show that is entirely based in fantasy ruin it for you is preposterous. That is my opinion of your opinion. Nothing against you...just differing from your thoughts on that one tiny aspect of a show that has many more ridiculous things going for it.

I'm gonna go ahead and say agree to disagree. So you can stop responding to me now. Or not; whatever pleases you.  :tup

RIP DTP.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1071 on: February 18, 2014, 02:35:57 AM »
I really don't care what anyone thinks of the show, but to let some kind of detail of reality negate a show that is entirely based in fantasy ruin it for you is preposterous.
I mean, it's a minor nitpick, though. It doesn't take anything away from the series or even the episode.

Offline sueņo

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1073 on: March 03, 2014, 11:58:32 AM »
I've been debating all morning whether or not I should preorder one of these.

https://www.firebox.com/product/6294/Blue-Sky-Snow-Globe

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #1074 on: March 03, 2014, 12:14:35 PM »
You should totally get one.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1075 on: March 03, 2014, 12:39:41 PM »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1078 on: March 03, 2014, 11:23:47 PM »
Finished with the series! I can finally read this thread in all its glory now.

So I kind of wish they spent more time showing Walt basking in his empire. Expanded to Europe? Oh, now he's retired. Heisenberg made a name for himself; he should have spent more time at the top.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #1079 on: March 04, 2014, 06:49:56 AM »
Walt couldn't really bask in his empire though, it got out of control and he ended up having to spend all his efforts dealing with the consequences of being a meth kingpin and his family breaking down around him!
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1080 on: March 24, 2014, 07:38:57 PM »
I just finished the finale, after... I'm not sure, less than two months. (Suck it AT&T, I'm milking you for all the bandwidth you've got)

Holy crap.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1081 on: March 25, 2014, 01:26:37 PM »
I'm in the final season and just finished the episode when Gus gets taken out.  About goddamn time.  The guy was a monster.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1082 on: March 25, 2014, 01:28:14 PM »
Was his character not to your satisfaction?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1083 on: March 25, 2014, 01:35:48 PM »
I'm in the final season and just finished the episode when Gus gets taken out.  About goddamn time.  The guy was a monster.
Interesting. I wouldn't consider him a monster at all. Certainly not when compared to Walt. With Gus it was strictly business, and he was very, very good at business. Walt was really into it and truly got off on being Heisenberg. Personally, I thought Gus was the perfect type of bad guy for any show or movie. You want somebody so insanely good at what they do that you just have to root for somebody, anybody else, yet isn't annoying or smug about it. Someone who is just naturally talented at doing bad guy stuff while going on and doing normal-person stuff on the side. 
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1084 on: March 25, 2014, 01:43:07 PM »
Gus ordering the murder of that kid (who had killed Combo) and murdering Victor in front of Mike, Walt and Jesse, are both far worse than anything Walt ever did.  And remember that Gus used to routinely go taunt an old man in a wheelchair who could no longer speak.  Yes, Hector had murdered Gus' buddy 20 years earlier, but still, that is a pretty monstrous act. 

That aside, he was a fantastically written character, and Esposito did a phenomenal job playing him.