Author Topic: Breaking Bad (**SPOILERS MAY BE PRESENT**)  (Read 154906 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Breaking Bad (**SPOILERS MAY BE PRESENT**)
« Reply #945 on: November 16, 2013, 07:25:23 PM »
Yeah. Skyler pulled the knife and Walt Jr.s sorry ass called Johnny and said it was his dad. I thought he was a worthless waste of space before that, but blaming Walter really took him down another couple of notches.

And Walt Jr. never saw anything ugly. He thought his dad was great until Skyler and her sister told him their version of events (which Skyler would have distorted a great deal to keep herself out of the frying pan). Next thing you know he's anxious for Walter's death.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #946 on: November 16, 2013, 07:31:53 PM »
Once season 5 started, I was done rooting for Walter. His actions beforehand could have been justified, but season 5 onward he was a ruthless dickhead, so Jr. telling the cops the wrong info didn't bother me, because I wanted Walter to be busted anyway.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #947 on: November 16, 2013, 09:33:08 PM »
You are right, Skyler pulled the knife first.  I do, however, think Jr was being naturally protective of his mother.  And Walt had them all under some threat or another from his first cook, if you think about it.   :(

I liked Jr a lot and Sr destroyed everything and everyone who ever trusted him.  Again - magnificent writing/acting to turn so many tricky emotions.   :tup
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #948 on: November 16, 2013, 10:10:30 PM »
You are right, Skyler pulled the knife first.  I do, however, think Jr was being naturally protective of his mother.  And Walt had them all under some threat or another from his first cook, if you think about it.   :(

I liked Jr a lot and Sr destroyed everything and everyone who ever trusted him.  Again - magnificent writing/acting to turn so many tricky emotions.   :tup
I just don't think much of that applied to WJ. He knew nothing about Walt's business, and up until that point largely preferred him over Skyler. He took Walt's side up until the very end. At that point Jr. knew nothing about Walt's shady dealings, except what he'd been told by his idiot, biased mother and idiot, meddling aunt two hours before.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #950 on: November 17, 2013, 02:59:46 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kZivVxB3vU

I just watched that like 45 minutes ago. While I'm not a fan of Malcolm in the Middle, I enjoyed that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #951 on: November 17, 2013, 07:52:50 AM »
Yeah. Skyler pulled the knife and Walt Jr.s sorry ass called Johnny and said it was his dad. I thought he was a worthless waste of space before that, but blaming Walter really took him down another couple of notches.

And Walt Jr. never saw anything ugly. He thought his dad was great until Skyler and her sister told him their version of events (which Skyler would have distorted a great deal to keep herself out of the frying pan). Next thing you know he's anxious for Walter's death.

Walt basically admitted to killing Hank in the phone call he made to Skyler, so even though he was lying and taking the blame as a way of trying to get Skyler off the hook with the feds, for his son, that was likely the last straw.  Plus, Walt had taken Holly with him when he left following the fight, so don't think that didn't spoke volumes to Jr. as well. 

As for Jr.'s actions during the knife wrestling match :lol, I think he was still torn as to what was really going on, but watch it again.  At the very end, Walt gains some control and puts his hand on Skyler's chest, almost in an aggressive manner, causing her to scream. It was then that instinct took over and Jr. jumped on his dad and wrestled him off his mom and then immediately moved over to protect her from his dad who appeared completely out of control.  I thought his actions were very understandable and consistent throughout that entire scene.  If you want to bash him for lying to the cops, fine, but this is a teenager who just saw his dad for who he really was and just wanted to protect his mother.  And it's not like Walt deserved the benefit of the doubt anyway.

Offline sueño

« Reply #952 on: November 17, 2013, 08:17:49 AM »
Yeah, what Kev said!

Jr *had'nt* really known or seen anything up to that point, really - that's true.  I think a big part of my feelings on this is that we, the audience, had.

Every time Walt told some lying sob story or Jr expressed some love & concern for dad because he didn't know what was really going on, it made me sick.    >:(
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline sueño

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #954 on: November 17, 2013, 09:52:27 AM »
As for Jr.'s actions during the knife wrestling match :lol, I think he was still torn as to what was really going on, but watch it again.  At the very end, Walt gains some control and puts his hand on Skyler's chest, almost in an aggressive manner, causing her to scream. It was then that instinct took over and Jr. jumped on his dad and wrestled him off his mom and then immediately moved over to protect her from his dad who appeared completely out of control.  I thought his actions were very understandable and consistent throughout that entire scene.  If you want to bash him for lying to the cops, fine, but this is a teenager who just saw his dad for who he really was and just wanted to protect his mother.  And it's not like Walt deserved the benefit of the doubt anyway.
Yeah, I watched that again last night. Where was Jr's instinct when his mom was swinging a knife at his old man for very dubious reasons? And Sklyer didn't seem completely out of control? I've got no problem with Jr breaking up the fight, hell, somebody could have gotten hurt, but the sudden change in loyalty really pissed me off. From what Jr. had reason to know, there was no basis for it other than the fact that he's a worthless little weasel.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX

Offline sueño

« Reply #956 on: November 17, 2013, 11:06:20 AM »
Yeah, I watched that again last night. Where was Jr's instinct when his mom was swinging a knife at his old man for very dubious reasons? And Sklyer didn't seem completely out of control? I've got no problem with Jr breaking up the fight, hell, somebody could have gotten hurt, but the sudden change in loyalty really pissed me off. From what Jr. had reason to know, there was no basis for it other than the fact that he's a worthless little weasel.

I think it's because sons are usually very protective of their mothers.  Jr probably figured his dad could handle the situation without his help...and he did.  But when Walt had already disarmed Skyler and rather than put the knife down he moved to attack her, Jr knew mom would be no match.

Do not mess with a boy's mother.   Ever.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #957 on: November 17, 2013, 11:16:24 AM »
It was also fairly obvious that Walt was somehow responsible for Hank's death.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #958 on: November 17, 2013, 11:39:54 AM »
I love your picture :tup

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #959 on: November 17, 2013, 12:03:12 PM »
Only because his cunt wife kept screaming "you killed Hank!" The only thing Walt implied was "I tried to save Hank." Now, I'll give shithead Jr. the benefit that he just learned that his beloved uncle was dead, but I still don't think that excuses him for the phone call.

I guess it's also reasonable to point out that I have a completely different perspective on the war on drugs than any of his simple-minded family. I (as do plenty in here arguing against me regarding Hank and Jr.) am very firmly of the opinion that the war on drugs is far, far more destructive than the drugs themselves. Part of Jr's issue is that he saw Walt's business as far more destructive than it was (from Jr's perspective based on what he knew). Frankly, based on that perspective, he was just wrong. If he knew everything that Walt had been up to, I'd be fine with his actions. He knew dick about it, other than the misinformation and his belief that drugs are evil.
E.F. Benson

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #960 on: November 17, 2013, 12:21:32 PM »
If Walt never started cooking, Hank would still be alive, or if not, he still wouldn't have died (been murdered) due to the actions of Walt.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #961 on: November 17, 2013, 12:31:59 PM »
If Walt never started cooking, Hank would still be alive, or if not, he still wouldn't have died (been murdered) due to the actions of Walt.
That's certainly likely (though by no means guaranteed, remember that Gus allowed Hank to be hit specifically to bring the hammer down on his Mexican rivals). Still, I don't see how that excuses Jr. for being a little shit.
E.F. Benson

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #962 on: November 17, 2013, 12:41:28 PM »
I don't see Jr. as being a little shit. His dad was acting crazy, scaring his mom to the point of pulling a knife, meanwhile his mom is having a complete mental breakdown from what Walt has done to their life, then Jr. learning that his dad is a drug dealer directly or indirectly responsible for his uncle's death, it doesn't matter, a 16 year old kid just got shit on by life, and parents with marital problems and now drug related problems take a toll on a child at any age.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #963 on: November 17, 2013, 01:33:16 PM »
I have no problem with Jr's actions in that particular scene. I just don't like his character throughout the whole series.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #964 on: November 17, 2013, 02:38:48 PM »
I don't see Jr. as being a little shit. His dad was acting crazy, scaring his mom to the point of pulling a knife, meanwhile his mom is having a complete mental breakdown from what Walt has done to their life, then Jr. learning that his dad is a drug dealer directly or indirectly responsible for his uncle's death, it doesn't matter, a 16 year old kid just got shit on by life, and parents with marital problems and now drug related problems take a toll on a child at any age.
I thought his mom was the crazy one during that particular incident. Also, lets not forget that she was pretty freaking duplicitous in the whole drug dealing affair. Something conveniently omitted during her sitdown with Jr. Granted, that's another thing Jr wasn't privy to so I'm not holding that against him, but Sklyer was certainly carrying on with her own longstanding worthlessness. Like I said, despite being the most evil of the lot, Walt was the only White that I had any regard for. The rest of them (well, I suppose I'll leave Holly out of it, but I wouldn't bet too heavily on her future) were all worthless boneheads.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #965 on: November 17, 2013, 03:01:16 PM »
Yeah, I watched that again last night. Where was Jr's instinct when his mom was swinging a knife at his old man for very dubious reasons? 

He said, "Mom, what are you doing?" the minute she stopped him in the hall (by holding her arm out to keep him away from Walt) and held the knife out towards Walt, and he was yelling, "Stop!" the whole time they were fighting.

I think it's because sons are usually very protective of their mothers.  Jr probably figured his dad could handle the situation without his help...and he did.  But when Walt had already disarmed Skyler and rather than put the knife down he moved to attack her, Jr knew mom would be no match.

Do not mess with a boy's mother.   Ever.

Very true.  Again, the way Walt aggressively put his hand to Skyler's chest, causing her to scream, cannot be ignored.  It was only then that Jr. jumped on his dad and pulled him off of her.

Bingo!

Barto, I am actually shocked some of your posts here.  Cunt wife?  Really?

Offline j

« Reply #966 on: November 17, 2013, 04:07:21 PM »
I sort of see where Barto is coming from.  There were quite a few instances during the show (and this was one of them) where I felt like good lord, if Skyler (or whoever) would just calm the fuck down and *listen* for a second, maybe everybody wouldn't come away with the worst possible impressions, and maybe she might be able to even understand Walt's decisions to some degree.  Instead, she would totally shut down, be super passive aggressive, and let her imagination run wild with what was probably going on with Walt.  Although, that was facilitated by Walt's constant lying and reluctance to involve her in any of it, although I'm not sure that last thing was always coming from a misguided place.

And of course it's hard to ask everybody to chill out and be rational in light of news that a family member has just been killed.  But still, I feel like I'd be demanding some information if I were in Jr's position, not making an impulsive call to the cops based on the emotionally charged scenario that just went down.

-J

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #967 on: November 17, 2013, 04:38:42 PM »
Yeah, I watched that again last night. Where was Jr's instinct when his mom was swinging a knife at his old man for very dubious reasons? 

He said, "Mom, what are you doing?" the minute she stopped him in the hall (by holding her arm out to keep him away from Walt) and held the knife out towards Walt, and he was yelling, "Stop!" the whole time they were fighting.
That's kind of my point. He knew exactly who it was that flipped out. It's not like he missed the mom pulls a knife part. For the entire first part of that altercation, he knew exactly who the crazy one was. And unless he's retarded, which I don't think was ever suggested, he knew that his mom was willing to kill him with it after she slashed his hand. I'm certainly sympathetic to somebody being defensive of their mom, but she wasn't the one needing to be defended there.

And again, that doesn't excuse lying to the cops.

As for cunt wife, I thought pretty poorly of her early on. For the record, I thought keeping Skyler in the dark as he did was one of Walt's biggest failings. That's what actually crossed him over from sympathetic to bad guy for me. Still, over the course of the series, she became far more troublesome and annoying as it went on. Reminded me a great deal of Cheryl David or Sybil Fawlty, actually. At the end, she escalated the situation pretty severely, which was all the more troubling because A: she was an accomplice at that point (I seem to recall her wanting one of the people responsible for Hang whacked a little bit earlier), and B: she knew damn well how much danger they could conceivably be in. All Walt wanted to do was get his family somewhere safe, and she pulls a got damned chef's knife on him.
E.F. Benson

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #968 on: November 17, 2013, 04:49:15 PM »
Whatever.  Skyler's failings don't even come close to Walt's.  They're not remotely in the same league.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #969 on: November 17, 2013, 04:53:58 PM »
Whatever.  Skyler's failings don't even come close to Walt's.  They're not remotely in the same league.
I agree. I haven't defended Walter. What's your point?
E.F. Benson

Offline sueño

« Reply #970 on: November 18, 2013, 01:55:44 PM »
okay...for something to lighten the mood here.  if you haven't seen this, it's a treat!

"Joking Bad"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duKL2dAJN6I

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #971 on: November 18, 2013, 01:59:09 PM »

As for cunt wife, I thought pretty poorly of her early on. For the record, I thought keeping Skyler in the dark as he did was one of Walt's biggest failings. That's what actually crossed him over from sympathetic to bad guy for me. Still, over the course of the series, she became far more troublesome and annoying as it went on. Reminded me a great deal of Cheryl David or Sybil Fawlty, actually. At the end, she escalated the situation pretty severely, which was all the more troubling because A: she was an accomplice at that point (I seem to recall her wanting one of the people responsible for Hang whacked a little bit earlier), and B: she knew damn well how much danger they could conceivably be in. All Walt wanted to do was get his family somewhere safe, and she pulls a got damned chef's knife on him.

I would never try to excuse her complicity in the whole thing, especially when it came to the money laundering and duplicity.  The irony is that she always hated Walt saying that he did what he did for family, yet that is the same excuse she often used for why she went along with everything.  Her hypocrisy was glaring.  I would never say otherwise. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #972 on: November 18, 2013, 02:37:18 PM »

I would never try to excuse her complicity in the whole thing, especially when it came to the money laundering and duplicity.  The irony is that she always hated Walt saying that he did what he did for family, yet that is the same excuse she often used for why she went along with everything.  Her hypocrisy was glaring.  I would never say otherwise.

You just wouldn't call her a cunt.  :lol  Fair enough.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #973 on: November 18, 2013, 03:03:53 PM »
Haha, that is one way to put it. :lol :lol :biggrin:

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #974 on: November 18, 2013, 04:37:17 PM »

This is what really gets me. Skyler was so hypocritical throughout the entire show it just got irritating, but then again that was the point.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #975 on: November 21, 2013, 03:32:37 PM »
Funny interview with Vince Gilligan by Adam Savage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ujPobTnOB0
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #976 on: November 24, 2013, 06:20:17 PM »
Lost my shit at some of these: https://www.facebook.com/brekinbaed

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #977 on: November 24, 2013, 06:30:08 PM »
I've always found those to be pretty horrible.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #978 on: November 24, 2013, 06:44:06 PM »
I agree.  Hence 'some' of these.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #979 on: November 24, 2013, 06:53:56 PM »
I laughed out loud at the majority of them  :lol