Author Topic: Breaking Bad (**SPOILERS MAY BE PRESENT**)  (Read 154842 times)

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
Re: Breaking Bad (**SPOILERS MAY BE PRESENT**)
« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2012, 10:49:21 AM »
To accept charity from an old friend for his treatment? What if he had not survived? How would his family have gotten by? Your point is poor. I can't blame him for not wanting a hand-out. Cooking at least earned him the money, and over time accumulated WAY more. He wanted a stock pile of cash for his loved ones to have after his death. He didn't want to take any chances. I don't understand how someone can not understand that logic. His descent was progressive over every episode. There is absolutely no clear-cut line laid out at one specific moment.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2012, 12:13:22 PM »
To accept charity from an old friend for his treatment?

He was offered a job with full health benefits, or alternatively, for the treatment to be paid for directly.  It wasn't even as much charity as the money Elliot thought he sort of screwed Walt on and felt guilty about. 

What if he had not survived? How would his family have gotten by? Your point is poor. I can't blame him for not wanting a hand-out. Cooking at least earned him the money, and over time accumulated WAY more. He wanted a stock pile of cash for his loved ones to have after his death.

Well, life insurance for one.  The house would've probably had to been sold, as well as one of the cars.  Skyler would've had to have gone back to work quickly (she did, but for non-financial reasons).  But plenty of families get by on much less.  Would it suck?  A bit.  But nothing compared to people who are actually in poverty, even by North American standards.  Most families don't have $500,000+ in savings, and most families will never even approach that.  It's not remotely a good enough rationale for producing methamphetamine, especially because...

He didn't want to take any chances.

He put his family in massive danger.  Huge, huge danger.  He should've clued into this by episode 3, where he realized that if he didn't kill Krazy 8 he was going to murder his entire family.  Yet he continued to associate himself with dangerous drug lords.  Not to mention the threat of the Mexican cartels, which he completely ignores despite it being massive.  The danger he puts them in is colossal, and far outweighs any of the possible financial benefits.

I don't understand how someone can not understand that logic. His descent was progressive over every episode. There is absolutely no clear-cut line laid out at one specific moment.

I think Vince Gilligan points to that as the moment where things start their downhill slide.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2012, 03:13:31 PM »
When I said "take a chance", I was referring to not putting the family in any position where they wouldn't make bank in his absence. He didn't want his family to have to give up their home or a car. He wanted them to have extra. To not struggle. To be set for life. That's what all fathers/husbands want. To feel as though they are providing. To know their family never has to pinch pennies. Obviously there's a risk. At first, the inherent risk to himself seemed meaningless as he had a death sentence anyway. I don't think anyone was an honest threat to the family until the cartel became involved. By that point, he was too far in to back out.

Gilligan said most recently that his goal was to show how Mr. Chips could gradually turn into Scarface. That's exactly what we've gotten. I'd hardly say Walter had reached that point in the first season.

To clarify, I'm not picking your statements apart, as I know that's not likely your goal either. It's fun to go back and forth and theorize, like with any popular serialized show. I just personally empathize with Walt more than Skylar. But the heart of the show is Jesse. I'm surprised how attached I've gotten to him. That's how I see the current triangle: Walt is the brains, Mike is the balls, Jesse is the heart. While I have sympathized with Skylar at times, she's made too many irritating mistakes for me to not want to punch her in the head. At least Walt's goals end with money in the pocket (to note, it's obvious he's drunk off the power he has now more than anything, but as we've seen, the money does matter him, even if it is only a tool for, again, more power). Everything she does seems to be strictly destructive. I understand that that is how the character is being written. Emotionally, that's how I'm taking her: an annoyance. I know she's suffering from shock and perhaps even some mental illness or belated postpartum issues, but her actions just wreak of uselessness. Another obstacle to overcome. I'm not saying she deserved to be thrown into this situation, only stating that the way she is dealing with it is unacceptable. Sure, who knows what I'd do in the situation, but this is television. I'm not so much concerned with that. We need characters to identify with and be opposed to, and there's not really any villain right now. Skylar is essentially the current antagonist. I wouldn't be surprised if that's how the show shapes up.

Offline emblempride

• Scammy Flammy Mammy
  • You're just like a motorcycle, too tired
« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2012, 03:43:58 PM »
Skylar's made a lot of bad mistakes, but, honestly, how is your psyche supposed to take your husband changing into a completely different person, someone willing to do the crazy shit Walt has done, in the span of a year? Her whole life got flipped upside down REALLY FUCKING FAST. It's easier to sympathize with Walt because he's at the heart of it all, but think of everything Skylar knows of that's happened in the past 4 seasons. I don't think I could very well handle that situation either.
"Hey guys" - Gregg Turkington

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2012, 06:16:17 PM »
I have a sneaking suspicion the next episode will be the best one yet.  Don't go looking up details unless you don't want to be (minorly) spoiled.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2012, 09:37:28 PM »
Great episode tonight. It really did a great job of showcasing all of the elements which make Breaking Bad such a fun show... The suspense, the creativity, the acting, and that touch of humor, "yeah BITCHES!" Bryan Cranston is FANTASTIC.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2012, 10:11:45 PM »
DAT ENDING!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2012, 07:04:45 AM »
Walter will most certainly use Todd for some pretty wicked stuff now.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2012, 07:24:11 PM »
Walt becomes more dislikable every episode now.  It was a good tie in to use Grey Matter as his reason for not pulling out.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2012, 07:25:50 PM »
Even though the two are completely different...

That dinner scene though...  :hefdaddy

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2012, 07:30:52 PM »
They are but Walt's reasoning is understandable. 

Aaron Paul needs to get more props for his comedic timing.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2012, 07:39:53 PM »

Aaron Paul needs to get more props for his comedic timing.

:tup "Hell yeah I'm stoked for this lasagna" :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2012, 08:36:06 PM »
Seriously! :rollin

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2012, 09:33:14 PM »
Yeah, he's been great this season with that.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2012, 04:15:08 PM »
There was some line of dialogue he said in Sunday's episode that made me burst out loud with laughter but I can't remember what it was exactly. Anyone have a better memory than me?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2012, 05:37:11 PM »
Probably this one:

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2012, 06:15:27 PM »
I never watch drama shows, but all this Breaking Bad hype is making me want to give it a shot.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2012, 06:16:44 PM »
I never watch drama shows, but all this Breaking Bad hype is making me want to give it a shot.

You really should. Definitely not my favorite show ever, but definitely the best I'm currently watching

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2012, 06:29:07 PM »
Drew, stop your fail and watch this show immediately... BITCH!

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2012, 06:30:55 PM »
Probably this one:

No, the discussion of that line made me think back to something else he said that made me laugh, but I can't remember.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2012, 06:56:51 PM »
Drew, stop your fail and watch this show immediately... BITCH!

well I wasn't gonna but since you called me a bitch I think I have to

But seriously, I'll start watching it when I finish Community.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2012, 07:02:03 PM »
You'll understand why I called you that when you start seeing it.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2012, 10:17:04 PM »
I just watched the Pilot yesterday. I can safely say I'm already hooked and can't wait to watch some episodes later tonight.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2012, 07:57:53 AM »
Be warned: It gets even more addicting the farther along you go.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #129 on: August 22, 2012, 11:22:23 AM »
Yeah, kinda like meth.

EDIT:

Found it!

"It gets all scabby on top...like you're eating a scab."

I died.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 11:28:23 AM by MykeHavoc »

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #130 on: August 22, 2012, 04:04:34 PM »
Be warned: It gets even more addicting the farther along you go.

I watched 6 episodes last night to finish off the shortened season 1. Will start season 2 tonight. Fucking addicting.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #131 on: August 22, 2012, 04:13:53 PM »
Yo, that's good... BITCH!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2012, 09:13:16 PM »
Walter just hit a new low... RIP Mike

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #133 on: August 26, 2012, 09:53:08 PM »
This upsets me greatly....

Fuck you Vince Gilligan. You fucking genius. :lol

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #134 on: August 27, 2012, 03:25:35 AM »
Oh man. Mike was my favorite character.
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #135 on: August 27, 2012, 03:10:22 PM »
I had a bad feeling all episode long about Mike... GODDAMN YOU WALT!!!

But that opening teaser

"You're Heisenberg"
"You're goddamn right!"

Badass level: so.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #136 on: August 27, 2012, 03:33:11 PM »
So, my sister still believes Walter ISN'T going to kill Jesse somehow. I'm sure this is going to happen after last night's episode.
Poor little thing... She is going to cry when that happens.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #137 on: August 27, 2012, 05:35:55 PM »
That didn't really surprise me at all but it still made me a bit sad for both Walt and Mike. For as far gone as Walt is, he just keeps on strapping on those rocks to sink himself further. Really great episode though.

@toro: I think the exact opposite will happen. Jesse will have to kill Walt. Walt wants nothing more than to have Jesse by his side and help run his 'empire'; he wants to be king and he wants his ever-present right hand man right beside him for when he is gone. Hell, the man doesn't wear his wedding ring anymore, but puts that watch that Jesse gave him on. I'd love to be proven wrong so that Walt can solidify himself in the Thanos category level of insanity.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #138 on: August 27, 2012, 06:33:45 PM »
Walt won't kill Jesse, that would be an awful ending. I expect Walter to die when his cancer comes back. Remember the episode when Skylar tells Walter that she is just waiting for the cancer? At the end of that episode, the watch was tick tick ticking away, symbolic of Walter's time... running out.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #139 on: August 27, 2012, 06:58:37 PM »
Walt won't kill Jesse, that would be an awful ending. I expect Walter to die when his cancer comes back. Remember the episode when Skylar tells Walter that she is just waiting for the cancer? At the end of that episode, the watch was tick tick ticking away, symbolic of Walter's time... running out.
Why would it be awful?
And Walter dying of cancer would be anticlimactic as fuck.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.