Author Topic: Breaking Bad (**SPOILERS MAY BE PRESENT**)  (Read 154825 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Breaking Bad (**SPOILERS MAY BE PRESENT**)
« Reply #525 on: September 09, 2013, 06:53:11 PM »
Fly was highly enjoyable, for sure.  I just think it was the least interesting and probably has the least replay value of any of the episodes to date.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #526 on: September 09, 2013, 06:54:55 PM »
That being said, I don't think there's been a bad episode in this show. That could just be the fanboy in me though.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #527 on: September 09, 2013, 07:08:11 PM »
People do weird things under duress.

And I agree that if Hank doesn't live the shootout (which is likely IMO) the M60 in the flashforwards is for Todd and company.

I don't think that it is for Todd and them just because it is too obvious, and that has not been a hallmark of the show.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #528 on: September 09, 2013, 07:21:19 PM »
People do weird things under duress.

And I agree that if Hank doesn't live the shootout (which is likely IMO) the M60 in the flashforwards is for Todd and company.

I don't think that it is for Todd and them just because it is too obvious, and that has not been a hallmark of the show.
  I 100% agree.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #529 on: September 09, 2013, 07:46:05 PM »
So I met Todd today in Toronto. He's, uhm, the exact same as on the show.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #530 on: September 09, 2013, 07:51:54 PM »
  He use to be on the tv show Friday Night Lights.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #531 on: September 09, 2013, 07:54:20 PM »
  He use to be on the tv show Friday Night Lights.

He was also the douche bag orphan in Like Mike.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #532 on: September 09, 2013, 07:58:32 PM »
He also looks a lot like Matt Damon.

Also, how funny was it watching him try to flirt with Lydia last night in the cold opening?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #533 on: September 09, 2013, 08:00:29 PM »
Matt Damon with Down syndrome.

It made me laugh when I first heard that but I feel terrible.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #534 on: September 09, 2013, 08:05:37 PM »
Yeah that was really fucking creepy when he was hitting on Lydia... I thought he was up to something more than just hitting on her... He really is the creepiest motherfucker around. I first saw him in Shrink (which is a really enjoyable movie) as an innocent, naive little weed dealer. This was a great turn for him but god damn would I love to see him die a tortuous, horrible death. I really hope we get to see that, because clearly they've been attempting to make him the most detestable character in television and succeeding thus far.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #535 on: September 09, 2013, 09:26:39 PM »
Gray Matter had the talking pillow!! :lol :lol

For me, Fly has easily been the least best episode.
Agreed! Fly is the episode with the least replay valugrae.

What I love about seasons 1-2 is the kind of dark/innocent humor that later seasons lack, as the show got more serious, dark and violent. Scenes like Walt furiously grabbing the talking pillow, Jesse and Walt carrying the barrel, or Hank saying "New Mexico has a new kingpin" and the shot going to an overweight Walt brushing his teeth, are missing in later seasons. It's part of the overall evolution of the show.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #536 on: September 09, 2013, 10:43:21 PM »
Fly is a lot, a lot better on a second viewing. The direction, the writing and Cranston all own that episode. It's a really unique episode in the show, so I can see why it gets such a mixed reception from fans, but I like it a lot.

Season rankings (so far):

Edit: Listed 2 twice. Dunno why, but fixed.  :lol

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #537 on: September 10, 2013, 01:50:31 AM »
I've watched "Fly" more than any other Breaking Bad episode, and I'm not sure it's even close.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #538 on: September 10, 2013, 07:14:38 AM »
I really enjoyed it. It really irks me when people compare to past episodes so much that the 'bar' is immovable. I know, I know...comparisons will be made, that much is inevitable. But when you compare so much that an amazing episode such as this one is diminished because of it, it's kind of ridiculous. Yeah, opinions and assholes. Whatevs toats dood. I myself thought this episode was wonderful. Not the best, but it was incredibly tense, moved the story forward a good few paces and gave us some details into how the road is paved to that year-long time-skip we saw at the beginning of both the original start of the season as well as the second part of S5 (P.S. FUCK ZUNE MARKETPLACE for calling this 'Season 6' and making me pay full price again).

The ending was spectacular, but the rest of the episode was still very enjoyable. Also...a big fat 'WUT' to anyone who is surprised that Hule ratted.... Have you seen this fuckin' guy at all? He is a total moron. An almost useless, bumbling, drooling idiot. They could have showed a ten-year-old's drawing of Jesse with a bunch of scribbled red marker all over his head and he'd freak out just as much. That was NOT a stretch by any means. C'mon now...it's Hule, not Gus. Not that I'm arguing with anyone's opinion here, this is in reference to my friends whom I watched it with. Everyone will have their own jaded opinion. I'm really looking forward to how they surprise us with the ending to this showdown.

It's not really that he ratted at all, more that he instantly caved in like a mineshaft.  Apparently the theme of the episode was "convincing people of lies using poor fake cell phone pictures".  I understand Huell is dumb, but he's supposed to at least be good at what he does, and that picture didn't even have a bullet hole in it, did it?

I'll admit I took the bait the second they showed the barrel photo too, but Walt is supposed to be a lot smarter than me.  :lol  Hank made the comment about how it wouldn't matter that the dirt didn't match, but I would be more concerned by the fact that the photo only showed one barrel, tightly held by all the dirt, when Walt knows that he dug one giant hole that held all seven barrels.

I get that Walt, since being discovered, is much more emotional now, but the confession did seem like a bit much.  Yes, he was panicking, and yes he didn't know that Jesse was working with Hank.  However, why did he have to be so specific with his confessions?  And like another poster pointed out, Jesse wasn't even prodding him about it.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS:

Semi-related, I don't know if the buzzfeed article has been discussed here yet, but I'm not reading the rest of the thread to figure it out, so here we go.  Essentially there was an article showing a number of easter eggs/thoughtful story elements that go into the show.  The biggest part of it is that we discovered that Walt inherits traits from everyone he kills, whether he has seen them perform this trait or not.

He now cuts the crusts off his sandwich, puts a towel down in front of the toilet before getting sick, tells Lydia to learn to take yes for an answer, etc.  Knowing this, there is at least one more character that he kills judging by his actions in the flash forwards.  He appears to be wearing a jacket very similar to Jesse's, though my friend doesn't believe they are similar enough.  They put a lot of thought into the clothes that the characters wear so at worst it's a toss up.  However, there is one character who has at least two traits present in the future Walt.  We see Walt forming bacon into the number of his age on his birthday, and he is using Skyler's maiden name.  Were the spoilers really hidden in the show all along?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #540 on: September 10, 2013, 11:12:07 AM »
I really enjoyed it. It really irks me when people compare to past episodes so much that the 'bar' is immovable. I know, I know...comparisons will be made, that much is inevitable. But when you compare so much that an amazing episode such as this one is diminished because of it, it's kind of ridiculous. Yeah, opinions and assholes. Whatevs toats dood. I myself thought this episode was wonderful. Not the best, but it was incredibly tense, moved the story forward a good few paces and gave us some details into how the road is paved to that year-long time-skip we saw at the beginning of both the original start of the season as well as the second part of S5 (P.S. FUCK ZUNE MARKETPLACE for calling this 'Season 6' and making me pay full price again).

The ending was spectacular, but the rest of the episode was still very enjoyable. Also...a big fat 'WUT' to anyone who is surprised that Hule ratted.... Have you seen this fuckin' guy at all? He is a total moron. An almost useless, bumbling, drooling idiot. They could have showed a ten-year-old's drawing of Jesse with a bunch of scribbled red marker all over his head and he'd freak out just as much. That was NOT a stretch by any means. C'mon now...it's Hule, not Gus. Not that I'm arguing with anyone's opinion here, this is in reference to my friends whom I watched it with. Everyone will have their own jaded opinion. I'm really looking forward to how they surprise us with the ending to this showdown.

It's not really that he ratted at all, more that he instantly caved in like a mineshaft.  Apparently the theme of the episode was "convincing people of lies using poor fake cell phone pictures".  I understand Huell is dumb, but he's supposed to at least be good at what he does, and that picture didn't even have a bullet hole in it, did it?

I'll admit I took the bait the second they showed the barrel photo too, but Walt is supposed to be a lot smarter than me.  :lol  Hank made the comment about how it wouldn't matter that the dirt didn't match, but I would be more concerned by the fact that the photo only showed one barrel, tightly held by all the dirt, when Walt knows that he dug one giant hole that held all seven barrels.

I get that Walt, since being discovered, is much more emotional now, but the confession did seem like a bit much.  Yes, he was panicking, and yes he didn't know that Jesse was working with Hank.  However, why did he have to be so specific with his confessions?  And like another poster pointed out, Jesse wasn't even prodding him about it.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS:

Semi-related, I don't know if the buzzfeed article has been discussed here yet, but I'm not reading the rest of the thread to figure it out, so here we go.  Essentially there was an article showing a number of easter eggs/thoughtful story elements that go into the show.  The biggest part of it is that we discovered that Walt inherits traits from everyone he kills, whether he has seen them perform this trait or not.

He now cuts the crusts off his sandwich, puts a towel down in front of the toilet before getting sick, tells Lydia to learn to take yes for an answer, etc.  Knowing this, there is at least one more character that he kills judging by his actions in the flash forwards.  He appears to be wearing a jacket very similar to Jesse's, though my friend doesn't believe they are similar enough.  They put a lot of thought into the clothes that the characters wear so at worst it's a toss up.  However, there is one character who has at least two traits present in the future Walt.  We see Walt forming bacon into the number of his age on his birthday, and he is using Skyler's maiden name.  Were the spoilers really hidden in the show all along?

Where did you get the impression that Hule was good at what he does? (which...unless he's sitting on his ass at Saul's, isn't much at all. It's mostly Bill Burr that has helped out Walt and co) I just...I can't fathom how anyone would be surprised at this. He's not good at anything except his poker face cause there's nothing but rotting poop in that deformed cranium of his. But hey, to each his own. I just don't see that as a stretch at all; the moment I saw Hank and Gomey walk into that room where Hule was sitting, I knew it was over for that poor fawker.

We have indeed spoke of that interesting...er 'habbit'(?) of Walt's...and I thought it was a stretch at the time, to be a fully-formed aspect of Walt's personality, and more of a 'nod' by the writers to past characters. A sort of unknowing homage by Walt. But if anything else turns up, or as you said the aspects of the jacket, bacon (which is painfully obvious...I think that one is more of a way to show the time-skip and loneliness of Walt), and/or other intricacies, then that'd be really fuggin' awesome, as I said in the past.

I don't think anything will come of it, or at least nothing too major, but it'd be really funny, cool and clever if they made something of it. It's certainly been a point of interest for a lot of fans and it's prominent enough to where it's clearly not just coincidence. But as a major point/fault of Walt's character? That remains to be seen, I think.

----

Rewatched the episode a few minutes ago and I do think that Walt flying off the handle says a whole lot more about his state of mind than it does about any kind of bad writing...which, well, everyone has an opinion, but I cannot possibly see how someone could think this episode (on it's own) is bad by any means or that there were stretches of logic or realism. Knowing what is going on in each person's respective life and knowing how screwed up things have become, each scenario is completely possible and understandable. Again though, not disputing with anyone here, I've done enough of that with my numbskull friend who apparently thinks Hule is some fucking mastermind of crime... :\ I enjoyed the episode. Ready for the next already. Dat cliffhanger! Which...this show has absolutely perfected, by the way. I usually hate cliffhangers and find them to be very predictable, but this show gets me every damn time.  :lol

RIP DTP.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #541 on: September 10, 2013, 01:43:48 PM »
Great post! I agree 100%

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #542 on: September 10, 2013, 01:44:20 PM »
I guess it's more that I've never seen him be particularly bad at his job, and Saul is so good at getting things done that it seems like he'd have a good henchman.  Huell is obviously dumb, but he just seemed way too quick to cave entirely.  Resilience is what I guess I expected more of.

As far as the traits Walt inherits, I think it's completely legitimate.  If they are really just making nods toward past characters (all of whom Walt killed, and there are about a dozen instances I haven't mentioned yet that follow) I can't imagine a good reason for it. 

I get the Walt thing, it just still feels a bit out of place.  Though he has been getting dumber lately I suppose.  He really didn't think Todd's uncle was going to come for him anymore?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #543 on: September 10, 2013, 01:52:38 PM »
I guess ever since he got out of the business, he just kinda started being laid back and decided he didn't really have to try as hard anymore.

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #544 on: September 10, 2013, 02:43:29 PM »
^^^
Agreed. He's been more about paying people to do the work for him.

Note the gasoline in the living room situation. The old Walt would have turned to science to find a home-brewed solution to take the smell off the carpet. Instead, he hired a cleaner that said it was impossible to take the smell off with their off-the-shelf chemicals.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #545 on: September 10, 2013, 02:49:48 PM »
Walt's a lazy ass fucker now. :rollin

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #546 on: September 10, 2013, 07:04:55 PM »

There's a new plot developing.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #547 on: September 11, 2013, 06:05:49 AM »
I cannot believe how stupid I am sometimes.

I have been racking my brians trying to recall a scene with a pillow that talks in BB. Now I know that you're referring to the scene where they pass the cushion around and whomever has it can talk.

Blimey!
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #548 on: September 11, 2013, 11:38:32 AM »
Interesting thing about this final season so far:

We have seen far more of Walter White than Heisenberg.  Hell, as far gone as Walt seems to be from a morality standpoint, he still had it in him to try and warn Hank when he saw Jack and his crew coming.  Considering Hank had him dead to rights and had just arrested him, for Walt to still have the gut reaction to warn him when he saw trouble coming shows that a lot of Walter White is still in there; he has never totally been all Heisenberg.  It makes me wonder if the writers will try to redeem Walt in some fashion.  Not sure how they would do it, but it does make me wonder.  Considering that you know a large part of the audience is still rooting for Walt to some extent, I think a little redemption for Walter White before its over is something many would be happy to see.  It's just a matter of, can the writers pull it off convincingly?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #549 on: September 11, 2013, 12:26:27 PM »

We have seen far more of Walter White than Heisenberg.  Hell, as far gone as Walt seems to be from a morality standpoint, he still had it in him to try and warn Hank when he saw Jack and his crew coming.  Considering Hank had him dead to rights and had just arrested him, for Walt to still have the gut reaction to warn him when he saw trouble coming shows that a lot of Walter White is still in there; he has never totally been all Heisenberg.  It makes me wonder if the writers will try to redeem Walt in some fashion.  Not sure how they would do it, but it does make me wonder.  Considering that you know a large part of the audience is still rooting for Walt to some extent, I think a little redemption for Walter White before its over is something many would be happy to see.  It's just a matter of, can the writers pull it off convincingly?

That's a good point. It seems whenever it comes to Hank, he never wants him to get hurt; ironically he almost got Hank killed on different occasions. I guess that's just his view on family, though. He loves Hank but he doesn't want him to succeed.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #550 on: September 11, 2013, 02:36:47 PM »
https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/11/breaking-bad-spinoff-better-call-saul-confirmed?abthid=5230d3cb22c745a338000010

The Saul spin-off show, "Better Call Saul", is confirmed to be a prequel. So now that raises questions about Saul's fate as Breaking Bad comes to a close. I had a feeling it would be a prequel anyway.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #551 on: September 11, 2013, 02:46:03 PM »
Firstly, awesome news about the show!

Secondly, Goodman's not dying.  He'll weasel out of anything. 

I have a feeling that Walt may attempt redemption, but knowing how much Vince Gilligan is into religious-style atonement, he absolutely has to get what's coming to him.  I think he'll be powerless by the show's end.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #552 on: September 12, 2013, 08:03:27 AM »
hmmm... season rankings? Though, it's hard to fairly rate season 5 at this point in the show. As the loose ends are tied up, its position will surely change.

Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #553 on: September 12, 2013, 08:24:23 AM »

Good point, but this is something I'm not too fond of. I wanted Walt's transition to be complete by the end of the show, but it appears the writers have held back on turning him into a true, cold-hearted villian. I was half expecting Walt to call the hit on both Hank and Gomez, but he decided to spare them both. I suppose this still stays true to the whole 'actions have consequences' angle that the writers have been using throughout the show. (as I expect both Hank and Gomez to die in the next episode) Jesse, on the other hand, I think will be forced to work with Walt - once more - and I can still see some sort of bond between the two characters again, even at this stage.

I'm glad it's all coming to an end because of the sheer level of consistency by the writers and actors. No show goes over 5 Seasons and remains completely awesome, IMO. All angles and emotions have been covered by that point. Although never quite on the same level, Dexter turned into a pile or garbage by the 6th Season, and anything less from Breaking Bad would tarnish the shows legacy.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #554 on: September 12, 2013, 08:34:07 AM »
I don't see any way Walt and Jesse find any kind of common ground to be friends/work together/not hate each other/etc.  Trust on both sides has been obliterated: Jesse will never forgive Walt for poisoning Brock, and Walt will now always see Jesse as a rat.  And I don't think the circumstances of the final three episodes will require them to do so anyway.

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #555 on: September 12, 2013, 12:57:13 PM »
I don't see any way Walt and Jesse find any kind of common ground to be friends/work together/not hate each other/etc.  Trust on both sides has been obliterated: Jesse will never forgive Walt for poisoning Brock, and Walt will now always see Jesse as a rat.  And I don't think the circumstances of the final three episodes will require them to do so anyway.

I'm not expecting some sort of reconcilliation between the pair, but I do see something happenning. I think one of them will save the other - in some way.

On a side note, as gripping as it was, the end shootout seemed extremely unrealistic considering there were 10 trained men aiming at both Hank and Gomez and hitting nothing but sand and air. It took them a good few seconds to reach cover. Anyone else notice this? I expect both of them to die in the next episode.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #556 on: September 12, 2013, 01:18:03 PM »
Um...trained? Really?

...Have you seen them, heard their mannerisms? They're goons; thugs; drones. They are not trained. It's a stretch, to be sure, that they're that bad... But it's believable, to me at least. They're completely street-trained.

Actually, when I think on it, it's much more of a stretch to think that Gomey and Hank, two verifiable badasses, didn't hit anyone; not the other way around. Regardless of clip-size (most of them had automatics as well, a gun that's even more useless to the untrained hand).

Ed: Oh, and the fact that Hank and Gomey hid behind the truck that the man that Jack and Todd's guys (and ironically enough, to some extent, Gomey and Hank themselves...so Walt can rot in jail and not, as Hank put it 'get off easy') were trying to protect was hiding in and...they still shot that truck up pretty good... now that's the part that makes me think WTF...

But I get your point, I just don't see those fools being in any way trained.

RIP DTP.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #557 on: September 12, 2013, 09:02:12 PM »
I'm torn between thinking there's no credible way that Hank and Gomez survive the shootout, and that it doesn't make sense dramatically for Hank to die at the beginning of an episode rather than the end.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #558 on: September 13, 2013, 08:06:00 AM »
I'm torn between thinking there's no credible way that Hank and Gomez survive the shootout, and that it doesn't make sense dramatically for Hank to die at the beginning of an episode rather than the end.

Right, but maybe he gets injured and doesn't actually croak until the end.  I don't think it looks good for Hank, he already said his damning final words to Marie and it would be incredibly redundant to just be injured again without dying.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #559 on: September 15, 2013, 07:23:52 PM »
Well I haven't been this depressed since I saw the end of The Mist for the first time....