Author Topic: Breaking Bad (**SPOILERS MAY BE PRESENT**)  (Read 154926 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Breaking Bad (**SPOILERS MAY BE PRESENT**)
« Reply #1365 on: June 25, 2019, 10:35:03 AM »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1366 on: June 25, 2019, 10:37:18 PM »
Wtf is Walt really setting up Hank as the fall guy for this shit? This dude has some serious balls of steel man...

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1367 on: June 25, 2019, 10:50:02 PM »
Wtf is Walt really setting up Hank as the fall guy for this shit? This dude has some serious balls of steel man...

:corn
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1368 on: June 25, 2019, 11:46:45 PM »
There's a couple handfuls of things in life I wish I could erase so I could experience it fresh again. This is one of them. Enjoy and savor it. It's so beautifully tragic....and badass. In a stupid way.  :millahhhh :metal :corn

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1369 on: June 26, 2019, 01:08:35 AM »
Isn't this a testament to the greatness of the series that, whenever someone's watching for the first time, we're all  :corn-ing anticipating the reaction to all the cool plot points? whenever someone's gonna rewatch Dexter there will only be, instead, people suggesting to quit after this or that season.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1370 on: June 26, 2019, 07:05:43 AM »
I'm not joking at all when I say I want RJ to record himself watching the rest of the show  :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1371 on: June 26, 2019, 08:18:06 PM »
Yep. Legit waiting for RJ to respond. Mofo, where you at!?

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1372 on: June 26, 2019, 08:19:36 PM »
Yeah it's not happening, mainly cause I like to watch tube in my skivvies.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1373 on: June 27, 2019, 10:42:43 PM »
Just finished the third to last episode...pretty sure that's one you wanted me to livestream lol...I watched the whole fight between Walt, Walt Jr, and Skylar through my fingers with my mouth hanging open waiting for one of them to get stabbed...totally thought it'd be Jr. Fucking intense shit for sure...will finish the series tomorrow night.

Got a gut feeling that Walt will end up saving Jessie from his slavery cooking, but who the fuck knows in this show haha

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1374 on: June 28, 2019, 01:12:28 AM »
Just finished the third to last episode...pretty sure that's one you wanted me to livestream lol...

Ozymandas, right? yeah, that's basically one of the most acclaimed TV episodes of all time, and righteously so.

Enjoy the kickass end!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1375 on: June 28, 2019, 10:53:05 PM »
Ok I'm done...

Fantastic ending to a fantastic show. Very stoked that he ended up saving Jessie at the end, as well as taking care of his kids in the process. He seemed to tie up all the tangents in the only really way possible without it looking forced or cheesy. Love that he used his billionaire friends as an avenue for taking care of Flynn, and stoked that all the white supremicist and the lady got their due. One detail I noticed, that probably only a small handful of peeps would... when he stole the car to drive back to NM, the one where the keys were under the visor, the keychain had a white Narcotics Anonymous tag, which is the welcome keychain (NA's version of chips) for anyone with 24hrs to 29 days sobriety. I thought it tied in nicely with how he finally admitted to Skyler that he was the problem, that he really wasn't doing it for his family but for himself and the rush of the game.

Found an image of it on a reddit thread...

Absolutely a fantastic show though, just fantastic.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1376 on: June 29, 2019, 09:04:26 AM »
 :tup :tup

Nice work!  Still the best show ever, IMO, and that ending is perfect.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1377 on: June 29, 2019, 09:47:53 AM »
The show was really great, with some absolutely standout episodes! However, I was kind of disappointed with the ending, to be honest. Not with the acting, presentation or writing, but because Walter pretty much got everything he wanted. Sure, not the way he originally envisioned doing it, but the goals were still met.

Just a minor quibble, and only with the ending.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1378 on: June 29, 2019, 09:53:40 AM »
I have to disagree...while he did check off a ton of boxes, he completely and totally lost the love and respect of his son. Also there's the whole dying thing but that was inevitable anyways.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1379 on: June 29, 2019, 09:57:25 AM »
Plus, Walt did not want to see Hank get killed. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1380 on: June 29, 2019, 11:01:25 AM »
He lost his wife, both children, his brother in law was killed, he was ridiculed by his former coworkers, Jesse betrayed him, he lost most of the money he worked so hard for, and he died after a brutal stint in isolation. The only thing he really got in the end was a bit of money tucked away for Jr., and finally being at peace not having to deal with cancer.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1381 on: June 29, 2019, 11:53:56 AM »
Plus, Walt did not want to see Hank get killed.

One of the most brutal, emotional scenes ever.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1382 on: June 29, 2019, 12:02:25 PM »

And now you get to watch Better Call Saul, which for my money is a better show. And I'm certainly not the only one to think that.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1383 on: June 29, 2019, 12:26:50 PM »

And now you get to watch Better Call Saul, which for my money is a better show. And I'm certainly not the only one to think that.

I agree. I loved BB but for me BCS has eclipsed it. Again, LOVED BB......but the story in BCS is more compelling to me.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1384 on: June 29, 2019, 12:27:47 PM »

It's definitely better in some ways. Not as intense or gripping or as many compelling story beats, but still a wonderful show, much more than most spinoffs. I think Stadler would love it if he hasn't seen it, also.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1385 on: June 29, 2019, 12:38:16 PM »

It's definitely better in some ways. Not as intense or gripping or as many compelling story beats, but still a wonderful show, much more than most spinoffs. I think Stadler would love it if he hasn't seen it, also.

I just appreciate the care they’ve shown in Jimmy’s journey to becoming ‘Saul’. And his relationship with Chuck and Michael McKeans portrayal of Chuck is incredible.

I agree it’s not as intense on a certain level as BB.....but there is still a good smattering if intensity.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1386 on: June 29, 2019, 12:45:43 PM »

There's a little less intensity, but that's why I think it's better. They lowered it just the right amount so that it can still be highly dramatic but not overwhelming, which BB was at times. There's also more of the black humor that I think Gilligan does so well, and with the intensity dialed down a notch it shines through a bit better. The first two episodes with Tuco demonstrate that perfectly.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1387 on: June 29, 2019, 12:55:48 PM »
See, I never found BB overwhelming. But I do appreciate how BCS really lets you marinate in the story so when that action does occur it's got that much more weight to it. And the musical montages are just delightful.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1388 on: June 29, 2019, 01:05:33 PM »
BCS bores me more often than not, but it's a solid enough prequel.

Back to the Walt/Hank thing, it was still kind of unfortunate that Hank went to his grave completely unaware of the lengths Walt went to on numerous occasions to protect him.  Despite the video he made, Walt really cared for Hank, which was evident when he collapsed to the ground in shock and started crying the instant Hank was killed.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1389 on: June 29, 2019, 01:31:47 PM »
Actually BCS was most of the reason behind me doing BB. Gotta catch up on Handmaids and Cherynobyl first though.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1390 on: June 29, 2019, 01:43:24 PM »
BCS bores me more often than not, but it's a solid enough prequel.

Back to the Walt/Hank thing, it was still kind of unfortunate that Hank went to his grave completely unaware of the lengths Walt went to on numerous occasions to protect him.  Despite the video he made, Walt really cared for Hank, which was evident when he collapsed to the ground in shock and started crying the instant Hank was killed.
That's due in large part to the fact that Hank was a bloody moron. But in the end a lot of people had the wrong idea about Walt and Hank. Marie and that shit-kid of his are completely convinced that Walter himself killed him, which is of course entirely untrue.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1391 on: June 30, 2019, 07:57:24 AM »
That's due in large part to the fact that Hank was a bloody moron. But in the end a lot of people had the wrong idea about Walt and Hank. Marie and that shit-kid of his are completely convinced that Walter himself killed him, which is of course entirely untrue.

I don't think Hank was a moron at all, despite never catching on to Walt until late in the game.  He had really good instincts and how many times did Gomez blow off a theory of Hank's that ended up being right?  More times that we can count.  I just think he had a one-track mind when it came to catching the guy making the blue stuff, and once he figured out it was Walt, he was so angry and hurt that he couldn't see straight, and that was his undoing.

As for Marie and Jr., I won't hold that against them because, why would they assume differently?  They have no clue of the details of what really happened, and all Marie knows is that Hank went from having Walt in 'cuffs to Walt being free and Hank being dead.  I suspect that Skylar believed Walt in the finale when he pointed out that the men who stole their money are the men who killed Hank and put him in "that hole," but I doubt Skylar would ever have the "Walt was a terrible guy, but he didn't technically kill Hank" conversation with Marie. :lol :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1392 on: June 30, 2019, 08:05:38 AM »
I agree with Kev. I think the only dumb thing Hank did was underestimating the level of danger Walt was putting everybody in. He wasn't expecting Jack and his merry band of losers at all. If he just hadn't stuck around to gloat, he might have lived...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1393 on: June 30, 2019, 08:08:19 AM »
I agree with Kev. I think the only dumb thing Hank did was underestimating the level of danger Walt was putting everybody in. He wasn't expecting Jack and his merry band of losers at all. If he just hadn't stuck around to gloat, he might have lived...

Not just that, but not calling for back-up from the start was not wise, but again, he was so hurt and angry, and had long wanted the honor of putting the handcuffs on Heisenberg himself, that he wasn't about to let anyone else get the glory.  Walt twisting the knife by making that videotape only intensified Hank's anger and narrow focus.  In a sense, going rogue the way he did led to both him catching Walt (the undercover sting with Jesse) and his own death.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1394 on: June 30, 2019, 08:10:26 AM »
This is an awesome link detailing the symbolism of colors in BB: https://breakingbad.fandom.com/wiki/Colors

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1395 on: June 30, 2019, 09:51:26 AM »

Not just that, but not calling for back-up from the start was not wise, but again, he was so hurt and angry, and had long wanted the honor of putting the handcuffs on Heisenberg himself, that he wasn't about to let anyone else get the glory.  Walt twisting the knife by making that videotape only intensified Hank's anger and narrow focus.  In a sense, going rogue the way he did led to both him catching Walt (the undercover sting with Jesse) and his own death.
You keep saying that Hank isn't a moron while describing all of his moronic behavior because he "couldn't think straight." Either way his inability to act reasonably was a key component in his death. Blinded with rage I can totally get, but not for six straight weeks.

As for Marie and Jr., I won't hold that against them because, why would they assume differently?  They have no clue of the details of what really happened, and all Marie knows is that Hank went from having Walt in 'cuffs to Walt being free and Hank being dead.
They could ask? Marie wasn't to that point, but certainly his worthless kid could have tried to understand things better. My recollection is that his initial reaction to finding out Walt was a doper was to go from "we're all good" to "you're dead to me" based on his DARE instilled belief that all dopers are evil, without ever really talking to Walt about it. There are very few things I thought the show did wrong, but I thought his reaction was one of them.
E.F. Benson

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1396 on: June 30, 2019, 03:05:23 PM »
Ok I'm done...

Fantastic ending to a fantastic show.

Glad that you enjoyed it like the vast majority of all of us!  :tup

After the final scene, with Baby Blue playing over his death, I had a big smile at my face and I clapped symbolically at the screen. Awesome finale and possibly the best one of all the shows I've seen.

About Better Call Saul, which I strongly advise to watch, and if it's better or not.... philosophical question, which song is better - the original Iron Man, or a modern cover of Iron Man with better production and a better singer? it's always easier to redo something than to create it.

No, Better Call Saul is NOT a cover of Breaking Bad, but it uses BB's good name and fans, BB's sceneries, BB's creative team and some of BB's actors. If it would have sucked, it would have sucked anyway, and people would have noticed, it is really a great show - but Breaking Bad started from scratch, by the time Better Call Saul rolled out, Vince Gilligan and co had a godlike experience with that world. To make another music analogy - a singer that leaves his band will always have it easier, at the beginning, thanks to the fame of his former band and having been part of a band that got famous and toured the world. A singer just as good that had nothing to do with a famous band might have it harder in terms of recognition.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 07:48:21 AM by MirrorMask »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1397 on: June 30, 2019, 04:26:15 PM »
You keep saying that Hank isn't a moron while describing all of his moronic behavior because he "couldn't think straight." Either way his inability to act reasonably was a key component in his death. Blinded with rage I can totally get, but not for six straight weeks.

Acting moronic sometimes doesn't make you a moron, just like me acting like a dumbass on occasion doesn't make me a dumbass per se. :P

As for six straight weeks, I suspect the real time of those six episodes was no more than a week or so, not six actual weeks (kind of like how the series lasted six years, but only two in real time - started on Walt's 50th, ended on his 52nd). ;)

They could ask? Marie wasn't to that point, but certainly his worthless kid could have tried to understand things better. My recollection is that his initial reaction to finding out Walt was a doper was to go from "we're all good" to "you're dead to me" based on his DARE instilled belief that all dopers are evil, without ever really talking to Walt about it. There are very few things I thought the show did wrong, but I thought his reaction was one of them.

Honestly, I thought his reaction was handled perfectly.  He initially thought Skylar and Marie were full of shit, then on the drive home the realization started to hit him and he told Skylar she would be just as bad as Walt if it were true, and then they got home and saw Walt, and from there, it was all very believable.  He was still not anti-dad, he just wanted answers as Walt tried to hurry them out of the house.  And even when Skylar pulled the knife on Walt, Jr's reaction was, "Mom, what are you doing?"  Only when it got physical and Walt got the upper hand by putting his hand on Marie's chest to hold her down did Jr. get involved, tackling his father and pulling him off and then instinctively protecting his mom from his dad who suddenly had this crazed look in his eye. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1398 on: July 01, 2019, 07:32:14 AM »
I've watched the first three seasons of BCS and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1399 on: August 24, 2019, 05:28:50 PM »