Author Topic: Bridges in the Sky (formerly The Shaman's Trance)  (Read 30205 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: The Shaman's Trance (Bridges In The Sky)
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2011, 10:29:29 AM »
So how many songs did James write the lyrics to?  That's the real question.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2011, 10:57:59 AM »
Thank goodness for the change.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline darkshot

« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2011, 12:27:33 PM »

Well as far as we know there's only 4 more songs with unknown lyricists.  So he could have written anything between 0 and 4 songs.   Take your pick:

3.   "Lost Not Forgotten"         
4.   "This is the Life"
6.   "Outcry"         
7.   "Far from Heaven"

Do we know for sure that JLB wrote at least one song?  I don't think its ever been confirmed, only speculated.  My bet is on Outcry.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2011, 12:28:28 PM »
I'm guessing he wrote Outcry, and possibly Lost Not Forgotten.  Those are kinda LaBrie sounding names.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 12:49:08 PM by Ħ »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline robwebster

« Reply #109 on: July 20, 2011, 12:48:29 PM »
Bit late to the party, but hurrah! "BITS!: The Musical" it is!

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: July 20, 2011, 12:49:15 PM »
Bits late to the party, but hurrah! "BITS!: The Musical" it is!

FTFY.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline darkshade

« Reply #111 on: July 20, 2011, 05:17:20 PM »
lolinstrumental.

Well, I guess it looks like ADTOE will not have an instrumental on it.

Of course, because you know for sure, right?

::)

Offline TL

« Reply #112 on: July 20, 2011, 05:45:18 PM »
Honestly, the fact that they have a non-instrumental that was originally titled something like 'The Shaman's Trance' is more interesting to me than if it had been an instrumental.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #113 on: July 20, 2011, 05:48:15 PM »
This Is The Life sounds like a JLB tune, but than again so did On The Back's of Angels
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline TL

Re: Bridges in the Sky (formerly The Shaman's Trance)
« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2011, 06:08:47 PM »
For me, the lyrics in OTBOA had a JP vibe to them right away. I do agree that This Is the Life sounds like a JLB tune.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: July 20, 2011, 06:46:42 PM »
Bridges in the Sky is a much better song title.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Vajra

« Reply #116 on: July 20, 2011, 06:47:46 PM »
I love how I created this thread in the hopes of speculating how the song will sound... and instead we got a discussion over the name of the song.

:(

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: July 20, 2011, 06:56:59 PM »
DTF: Derailing Threads Forever. 

Sorry, Samara. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #118 on: July 20, 2011, 07:02:41 PM »
Well BITS does fit the album and cover.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #119 on: July 20, 2011, 07:15:17 PM »
Well BITS does fit the album and cover.
I agree completely. I guess that's why I am drawn to the song once again. Although, I may put it on my iPod as The Shaman's Trance. I liked that title as well.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline darkshade

« Reply #120 on: July 20, 2011, 07:37:04 PM »
I love how I created this thread in the hopes of speculating how the song will sound... and instead we got a discussion over the name of the song.

:(

How did you think this was not bound to happen?

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #121 on: July 20, 2011, 09:47:14 PM »
Well, for all we know Far From Heaven or Outcry could be instrumentals.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2011, 09:50:26 PM »
Well, for all we know Far From Heaven or Outcry could be instrumentals.

That'd be funny.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2011, 09:52:12 PM »
It really would be kinda funny if 'Outcry' had no vocals.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2011, 12:15:49 AM »
It really would be kinda funny if 'Outcry' had no vocals.

It's not that it has no vocals, it's just JMX taking his shot at the mic.

Well as far as we know there's only 4 more songs with unknown lyricists.  So he could have written anything between 0 and 4 songs.   Take your pick:

4.   "This is the Life"
6.   "Outcry"         
7.   "Far from Heaven"

Do we know for sure that JLB wrote at least one song?  I don't think its ever been confirmed, only speculated.  My bet is on Outcry.

Source(s) for other lyricist please?  Sorry, I don't have time to follow every little development, so I tend to miss things.

Offline darkshot

« Reply #125 on: July 21, 2011, 12:23:05 AM »
Source(s) for other lyricist please?  Sorry, I don't have time to follow every little development, so I tend to miss things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Dramatic_Turn_Of_Events#Track_listing

The sources are cited there, from various interviews with the band.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #126 on: July 21, 2011, 02:34:31 AM »

WRT Build Me Up, Break Me Down - I know it's maybe a little unlikely, but is "John Petrucci had some very specific ideas about how Build Me Up, Break Me Down should be recorded" really the same as "John Petrucci wrote the lyrics to it?" It could just be a very unorthodox song musically, and so he wanted to put a slightly different spin on James LaBrie's lyrics.

I know, I know - probability says it was him, not only 'cause he's the most prolific, but also 'cause you're more likely to have specific visions of your own material, so chances are he did write the song - but on the other hand, he's producer. It's his job to have very specific ideas about how the music should be recorded. Maybe James wrote the lyrics and Petrucci went "that'd sound good as a round?"

Doesn't prove that he wrote them, just that he produced them. That's a dead fair guess at why he was so keen to produce BMUBMD in particular, and I'd be surprised if he hadn't written it, but I think, as evidence, it's sort of putting two and two together and making 4.5. As in, not miles off, but I couldn't possibly tell you where the 0.5 came from if I tried.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #127 on: July 21, 2011, 08:09:41 AM »

WRT Build Me Up, Break Me Down - I know it's maybe a little unlikely, but is "John Petrucci had some very specific ideas about how Build Me Up, Break Me Down should be recorded" really the same as "John Petrucci wrote the lyrics to it?" It could just be a very unorthodox song musically, and so he wanted to put a slightly different spin on James LaBrie's lyrics.

I know, I know - probability says it was him, not only 'cause he's the most prolific, but also 'cause you're more likely to have specific visions of your own material, so chances are he did write the song - but on the other hand, he's producer. It's his job to have very specific ideas about how the music should be recorded. Maybe James wrote the lyrics and Petrucci went "that'd sound good as a round?"

Doesn't prove that he wrote them, just that he produced them. That's a dead fair guess at why he was so keen to produce BMUBMD in particular, and I'd be surprised if he hadn't written it, but I think, as evidence, it's sort of putting two and two together and making 4.5. As in, not miles off, but I couldn't possibly tell you where the 0.5 came from if I tried.

Considering JLB recorded his vocals on his own without the others' help, aside from BMUBMD, I think it's fair to believe that JP wrote the lyrics for it if he wanted to have very specific ideas about the direction of the vocal parts.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #128 on: July 21, 2011, 09:29:07 AM »

4.   "This is the Life"
6.   "Outcry"         
7.   "Far from Heaven"

I think it has been confirmed he wrote lyrics.  In a perfect world, all the rest of these would be JLB lyrics.  Imagine that, he has never contributed more than two lyrics on an album (6DOIT and 8V).  I guess I would settle for 3. 

Lost Not Forgotten, This is the Life, and Outcry really have a JLB vibe to the title.  Even Far From Heaven kind of has that vibe but I could see that being a JP lyric. 

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #129 on: July 21, 2011, 11:16:10 AM »

4.   "This is the Life"
6.   "Outcry"         
7.   "Far from Heaven"

I think it has been confirmed he wrote lyrics.  In a perfect world, all the rest of these would be JLB lyrics.  Imagine that, he has never contributed more than two lyrics on an album (6DOIT and 8V).  I guess I would settle for 3. 

Lost Not Forgotten, This is the Life, and Outcry really have a JLB vibe to the title.  Even Far From Heaven kind of has that vibe but I could see that being a JP lyric. 

Well, in a perfect wrold, they'd all be JM lyrics.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #130 on: July 21, 2011, 11:58:31 AM »

This is something I most definitely agree with.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #131 on: July 21, 2011, 03:33:50 PM »
Psh...in a perfect world they'd be split evenly.  Even though JP gets a bit more than his fair share, he still has some killer lyrics.  But honestly I like JLB lyrics as much as JM even though I will admit I'm more eager to hear JM's since we haven't got any original stuff from him since FII (since Fatal Tragedy still had to fit an outline chosen by others)

Offline Ħ

« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2011, 06:34:57 PM »

4.   "This is the Life"
6.   "Outcry"         
7.   "Far from Heaven"

No.  In a perfect world, they'd all be MM lyrics.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #133 on: July 21, 2011, 06:37:13 PM »

4.   "This is the Life"
6.   "Outcry"         
7.   "Far from Heaven"

In a perfecter world, they'd be KM lyrics. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #134 on: July 21, 2011, 06:39:08 PM »

Haha nice! I wonder who else will get that.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »

Clever stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Hayden

« Reply #136 on: July 22, 2011, 12:34:36 AM »
I'm just wondering if the change in title ("The Shaman's Trance" to "Bridges in the Sky") had anything to do with the negative reception that the title got from fans.
Of course, this probably isn't the case; DT surely wouldn't care about what fans have to say about the title of a song that none of them have even heard yet, but I still find it a bit strange that the title that got criticized the most also happens to be the title that gets changed prior to release.

Offline wammabe

« Reply #137 on: July 22, 2011, 12:40:14 AM »
I'm just wondering if the change in title ("The Shaman's Trance" to "Bridges in the Sky") had anything to do with the negative reception that the title got from fans.
Of course, this probably isn't the case; DT surely wouldn't care about what fans have to say about the title of a song that none of them have even heard yet, but I still find it a bit strange that the title that got criticized the most also happens to be the title that gets changed prior to release.

They probably didn't need the fans to know that it was a weird title. There's a reason the song's name got criticized, the band members probably felt the same way too.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #138 on: July 22, 2011, 12:54:26 AM »

I don't get it :(

Offline robwebster

« Reply #139 on: July 22, 2011, 02:28:19 AM »

4.   "This is the Life"
6.   "Outcry"         
7.   "Far from Heaven"

I dunno, in a perfect world I'd love for them all to be Johnny Myung lyrics.