Author Topic: Bridges in the Sky (formerly The Shaman's Trance)  (Read 30297 times)

Offline John94

Re: The Shaman's Trance (Bridges In The Sky)
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2011, 05:03:14 PM »
^ I read all of that post in Toms voice.

But yeah, I don't see DT making an announcement or even a tweet so I assume its just an error with the distributors providing the sites wrong information. Besides, there are far too many songs beginning with "B" on the album already.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2011, 05:46:15 PM »
^ I read all of that post in Toms voice.
Hahaha, I'm glad someone recognised it!

Don't know how long I'll keep him for, feels a bit odd. Probably 'cause a. he's not the Doctor, and b. he's a real person rather than someone in-character, so it's a little weird perhaps, but I quite liked the idea of having the eccentric inventor from my other favourite TV show up there for maybe about a week or so.

Variety isn't exactly the spice of, er, their song titles, as late... BCSL had two "A"s, followed by Wither, followed by three "The"s, so I wouldn't write it off based on that, but it is a bit fishy that it's not been confirmed.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if it is called BITS (brilliant) and they just hadn't got round to doing the press release (or didn't think it was worth it!), but nor would I be that surprised if it turned out that it's just a crossed wire. Both plausible, and it doesn't make a massive difference either way, given that we've not even heard the song yet. I do prefer Bridges, though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2011, 06:05:22 PM »
Do people seriously believe that after releasing an official track listing that Dream theater would go ahead and rename one of the songs then only tell play.com about it??

It's a mistake, plain and simple. Move on.
That or they did change it, and Play.com got it from the back of the disc rather than the now-outdated press release like everyone else? Not entirely likely, and not saying it's happened, but no more far-fetched than the idea that Play.com just decided to invent a title for no apparent reason.

Exactly what Rob said.  And until I decide to appoint you as a junior moderator, please leave the modding to the mod staff, JPX.  Thanks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2011, 06:26:12 PM »
I like both titles but Shaman's Trance sounds more intriguing, especially for DT. At the end of the day I'm not too fussed about song titles.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2011, 06:43:58 PM »
Yeah they're both good. Bridges in the Sky gives me a more grand feeling, whereas The Shaman's Trance gives me a more mystical feeling. Both would be fine with me.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2011, 06:50:27 PM »
I like Bridges in the Sky better than Shaman's Trance.

I just think of this song though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjTV8i_KjXM

ha

I'm on my third Ian Van Dahl song now.  What have you done???
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2011, 09:52:53 PM »
I like Bridges in the Sky better than Shaman's Trance.

I just think of this song though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjTV8i_KjXM

ha

I'm on my third Ian Van Dahl song now.  What have you done???

Introduced you to new music?

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit

Offline Mladen

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2011, 04:07:08 AM »
I'm OK with Bridges in the sky. It's actually a normal sounding name, whereas The Shaman's trance sounded just like WTF.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2011, 04:16:44 AM »
Looks like it is confirmed as Bridges in the Sky.

https://store.roadrunnerrecords.com/Exclusives/DREAM-THEATER-A-Dramatic-Turn-Of-Events-Deluxe-Collectors-Edition-Box-Set

Do people seriously believe that after releasing an official track listing that Dream theater would go ahead and rename one of the songs then only tell play.com about it??
Yes!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 04:45:51 AM by robwebster »

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2011, 05:07:30 AM »
As I said, I'm fine with both of the song titles.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2011, 05:14:56 AM »
I'm OK with Bridges in the sky. It's actually a normal sounding name, whereas The Shaman's trance sounded just like WTF.

That article also seems to confirm that there are no instrumentals on the album.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2011, 06:01:43 AM »
Well! They might've just bunged BITS! onto the instrumental CD to give it the same flow as the album. Bit like how if they made an instrumental CD of Train of Thought, you wouldn't leave out Stream of Consciousness.

(I'm writing BITS with an exclamation mark, by the way. So it looks like it might be a musical about bits.)

Offline m0hawk

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2011, 06:57:50 AM »
Seeing as we now have 3 songs AND the cover art dealing with the sky/heaven, the music better be absolutely transcendent.

*currently trying to deflate my SFAM-level expectations*

Offline eosforum

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2011, 07:29:38 AM »

That article also seems to confirm that there are no instrumentals on the album.

What article?

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2011, 11:05:13 AM »
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2011, 11:31:13 AM »
So I guess this confirms that they officially changed it to Bridges in the Sky

https://store.roadrunnerrecords.com/Exclusives/DREAM-THEATER-A-Dramatic-Turn-Of-Events-Deluxe-Collectors-Edition-Box-Set?partner=roadrunner

In my opinion, that makes it more likely, but it still doesn't necessarily confirm it.  Yes, it's easy for the band to change a song name or make other changes at the 11th hour.  But it is also easy (and commonplace) for a label and/or distributor to send out erroneous information that gets perpetuated by all the retail sites selling the album.  Even on Roadrunner's own site, the people handing the pre-order on the website aren't necessarily in direct contact with the people who are working directly on the album, so it's not unlikely that it is still just a mistake.  I wouldn't necessarily jump to conclusions one way or the other until we get an actual confirmation.  I posted a thread on James' forum.  Hopefully, he'll see it and respond.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline darkshot

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2011, 11:37:29 AM »
Its always possible these outlets are reporting old information... maybe they renamed Bridges in the Sky to The Shaman's Trance and some people didn't get the memo?  Maybe Bridges in the Sky is the old name  ;)

Offline John94

« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2011, 02:42:54 PM »
According to https://dreamtheater.warnerartists.net/en

The Shamans Trance is listed again and that site is linked from the RR page (UK orders)

Offline olliemedsy

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2011, 04:19:07 PM »
when the album comes out, i think when everyone on dtf is listening to TST/BITS for the first time, we'll all be on the edges of our seats waiting to hear if james comes in or not.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2011, 04:23:16 PM »
...we'll all be on the edges of our seats waiting to hear if james comes in or not.

Not really, no.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2011, 04:38:11 PM »
https://twitter.com/#!/Piratecjs

"Hey Everyone, Yes 'Bridges in the Sky' is in fact Shaman's. Make a note of it and enjoy while listening. Although you'll have to wait a bit"

Offline olliemedsy

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2011, 04:41:31 PM »
...we'll all be on the edges of our seats waiting to hear if james comes in or not.

Not really, no.

damn you, ruining my plot to take over dtf

Offline robwebster

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2011, 04:42:44 PM »
So, wait... which one's the correct name? Is Bridges now called The Shaman's Trance, or is Bridges the new identity of The Shaman's Trance?

I'd presume, from the phrasing, that Shaman's is the current title, probably? I'm more confused than before, to be honest. :lol

Offline olliemedsy

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2011, 04:46:29 PM »
TST is now called BITS. now can forget TST and it's shitty iron maiden ripoff title

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2011, 04:49:33 PM »
So, wait... which one's the correct name? Is Bridges now called The Shaman's Trance, or is Bridges the new identity of The Shaman's Trance?

I'd presume, from the phrasing, that Shaman's is the current title, probably? I'm more confused than before, to be honest. :lol
That was my exact response as well:

So wait, which one is the real title?

THANKS JAMES THAT WAS REALLY HELPFUL

:P
:lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2011, 04:51:41 PM »
:lolpalm:  piratefail

Offline robwebster

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2011, 04:52:01 PM »
Hahahahaha, ohhhh James. I do love that the clear-up was "yep! Bridges and Shaman's are track five, alright!" I hope we never get a title. This is one of the most brilliantly weird fan-disputes yet.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2011, 04:53:23 PM »
He's clearly screwing with us now.  :lol  Love it.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2011, 04:56:05 PM »
I want to listen to the song on release day and still have no idea what it's called.

In fact, what I want right now is for a completely different title to appear on Amazon. And then for CJS to announce that "The Sleeping Dragon is the same song as Bridges in the Sky and The Shaman's Trance. Hope this clears everything up!" Titles for everyone!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2011, 04:58:51 PM »
I think the fact that "The Shaman's Trance" was revealed first and "Bridges In The Sky" second probably means the latter title is right, if you go by CJS' wording on his tweet.

"Hey Everyone, Yes 'Bridges in the Sky' is in fact Shaman's. Make a note of it and enjoy while listening. Although you'll have to wait a bit"

It's like saying "Yes, 'Learning To Live' is in fact Creep With Tonality". You affirm that the new title is what the old one was.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2011, 05:02:26 PM »
Not necessarily.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2011, 05:05:10 PM »
I think the fact that "The Shaman's Trance" was revealed first and "Bridges In The Sky" second probably means the latter title is right, if you go by CJS' wording on his tweet.

It's like saying "Yes, 'Learning To Live' is in fact Creep With Tonality". You affirm that the new title is what the old one was.

-Marc.
That was the way I read it first, but then I read it again, and decided that actually*, "in fact" implies that what follows is correct. In the same way "actually" did just then. Like, "Superman is in fact just Clark Kent with his glasses off." (Spoilers, there, by the way.)

I think it probably is called Bridges in the Sky, now, but I think the mighty Pirate's tweet implies the opposite, if anything. Which I really like. I love the ambiguity. :lol

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2011, 05:11:15 PM »
Takes me back to "Revenge of the Jedi" -> "Return of the Jedi"

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2011, 05:17:17 PM »
My head hurts...