Poll

How many female fans of Dream Theater do you know?

None
57 (51.4%)
One
22 (19.8%)
Two
11 (9.9%)
Three+
21 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Voting closed: March 27, 2019, 06:30:18 PM

Author Topic: Women of Dream Theater  (Read 7004 times)

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
Re: Women of Dream Theater
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2019, 08:07:41 PM »
Checking the likes on the fb page, apparently I know two women who like DT. I wasn't aware of either liking either before checking tho, so I voted none because I didn't think to check fb until after I voted lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2019, 10:00:10 AM »
Wait

I lied. I've met Deb IRL...

So technically I know 2 female DT fans IRL :lol

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2019, 10:05:52 AM »
Regardless...there seemed to be a lot of ladies cheering at that same show that night.  I wasn't sure if they were really that into it or not.  Kind of like the woman right in front of me who was clearly bored out of her mind (going on Facebook on her phone, no less) and ultimately wound up hanging out in the lobby while her boyfriend made a complete ass out of himself airguitarring and high fiving anyone within reach.

These kind of things always puzzled me. Is there some kind of law that states that when you're a couple you have to enjoy EVERYTHING together and that you marry / get engaged to the other's persons passions? why is it mandatory to go together to a concert? why someone should spend a lot of money for a concert of an artist he/she is not interested in mainly because one of the fan of said artist happens to share their bed?

Aren't "ladies night", "bros night" a thing? if a partner goes out one evening with the old schoolmates or something, why isn't "Hey honey, I have this gig next month" - "Cool, guess I'll go out with my girlfriends that evening then" an option?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2019, 11:58:03 AM »
These kind of things always puzzled me. Is there some kind of law that states that when you're a couple you have to enjoy EVERYTHING together and that you marry / get engaged to the other's persons passions? why is it mandatory to go together to a concert? why someone should spend a lot of money for a concert of an artist he/she is not interested in mainly because one of the fan of said artist happens to share their bed?

Aren't "ladies night", "bros night" a thing? if a partner goes out one evening with the old schoolmates or something, why isn't "Hey honey, I have this gig next month" - "Cool, guess I'll go out with my girlfriends that evening then" an option?

Well, sometimes when you're really enthusiastic and passionate about something, like your very favorite band, you want to share your love of that stuff with your significant other.
It doesn't mean that you have to drag them to every single concert ever, but maybe this was the case where he just wanted her to share the experience with her, just to have someone to share that enthusiasm.
Although based on that story, the fact that he was oblivious to his girlfriend's boredom, I don't know what the deal there was, but if this was indeed her very first DT concert, he should really have been more focused on engaging her, rather than high fiving strangers. So I can't speak for that particular case, but for couples who are really close, I think sharing in each other's passions should come naturally, not because they have to be into that thing that their partner is passionate about, but at the very least, because they're into seeing that joy and excitement on their partner's face.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2019, 01:27:44 PM »
Uh well, what you say makes way more sense than the attitude of those two described by DT1138. Maybe in these cases one wants so bad to share the experience that offers to buy tickets so that the partner won't have to pay for something they're not into... I would like to think that next time that due would think twice to bring along someone he doesn't even realize isn't interested.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2019, 05:33:57 PM »

When my wife and I first got together, we did EVERYTHING together.  Within days after she moved out here (she was in grad school when we met, and she moved across the country to move in with me), we went to a Rush concert.  A few months later, I got dragged to see Tori Amos.  We did a few more shows together before realizing that we'd both be much happier by not dragging the other to see shows we didn't want to see.  That may be part of the reason why I have a nearly 10 year gap in my DT concert attendance record (Dec. 1994 through Sept. 2004).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DT1138

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2019, 07:21:50 PM »
Ahh, it appears I struck a nerve here.   :biggrin:

I agree with maybe taking someone who is curious (or just likes to try new things) to a "new" group and if they don't like it just go by yourself or with other people next time.  Hence why I went by myself and will again in a couple of weeks.

Oh and if I can go back to Mr & Ms Facebook Airguitar one more time....they showed up about 3/4 of the way thru the first set.  The guy, who was clearly smelling of beer and nursing one as they reached their seats, asked me "Have they played 'Pull Me Under' yet?".    :loser:

Can't make this stuff up.  ::)  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2019, 04:03:13 AM »
And I thought that DT wasn't a bad for casual fans interested only in the radio..... hit, singular  ;D

Did they actually play it? imagine such a guy going to a concert and not getting neither Metropolis nor Pull me Under  ;D

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2019, 04:25:33 PM »
Regardless...there seemed to be a lot of ladies cheering at that same show that night.  I wasn't sure if they were really that into it or not.  Kind of like the woman right in front of me who was clearly bored out of her mind (going on Facebook on her phone, no less) and ultimately wound up hanging out in the lobby while her boyfriend made a complete ass out of himself airguitarring and high fiving anyone within reach.

Well, there's no law about it, but people who are really close to each other tend to start having more overlap in their music tastes. Like I have friends who primarily listen to one sort of genre (Pop Punk/80s Classic Rock, IDM, jazz, classical, etc.) but I've gotten them to expand their tastes in other directions just by exposing them to the music I like over time. And vice-versa, where I've gotten more into IDM, Pop Punk, jazz, etc. because of their influence

Like rn I have a friend who's super into Eurovision and really excited about it, so they're starting to get me into it a bit too haha

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2019, 05:29:50 PM »
Hah I know one of them

A girl that I have a big crush on and I even dare to say I love her now but we are not meant to be together but here is the story,

She is gamer girl like she is so fond of MMO like Ragnarok,DOTA and other MMORPG and I met her ingame and then added her on FB for a couple years I notice she is into the arts she is an awesome painter and she seems to be interested in church music she sings at a choir, but damn I was blown away when I saw her "liked" the DT FB page and so I ask her if she is a fan she just said "oh wow OMG I am fan of DT because I love their Drummer (Mike Portnoy) and they are underrated only Musicians can understand their music it seems but I love how they use complex beat paterns because I play drums too.

And she said "so you seems to be into guitar? I love John Petrucci too"

I mean even before I knew she is a DT fan I am already in love with her but damn she melted my heart even more.

But we are not meant to be together it seems.

Oh a man can only dream....

Please Lord Petrucci make my dreams come true..
And she listens openly

Offline DT1138

« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2019, 05:40:21 PM »
And I thought that DT wasn't a bad for casual fans interested only in the radio..... hit, singular  ;D

Did they actually play it? imagine such a guy going to a concert and not getting neither Metropolis nor Pull me Under  ;D

Yes - the 2nd act was Images and Words start to finish in album order.  I didn't think DT attracted the casuals either, but....

Hah I know one of them

A girl that I have a big crush on and I even dare to say I love her now but we are not meant to be together but here is the story,

She is gamer girl like she is so fond of MMO like Ragnarok,DOTA and other MMORPG and I met her ingame and then added her on FB for a couple years I notice she is into the arts she is an awesome painter and she seems to be interested in church music she sings at a choir, but damn I was blown away when I saw her "liked" the DT FB page and so I ask her if she is a fan she just said "oh wow OMG I am fan of DT because I love their Drummer (Mike Portnoy) and they are underrated only Musicians can understand their music it seems but I love how they use complex beat paterns because I play drums too.

I mean even before I knew she is a DT fan I am already in love with her but damn she melted my heart even more.

Good luck man - I dream of that kind of gal also.  Maybe someday...

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2019, 08:39:04 PM »
I think this comes down to just how social one might be more than anything else. If you want to meet women who like Dream Theater, go to their show. Very simple. It's how I end up meeting people with similar music tastes.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2019, 11:22:36 AM »

Yes - the 2nd act was Images and Words start to finish in album order.  I didn't think DT attracted the casuals either, but....

Hah I know one of them

Good luck man - I dream of that kind of gal also.  Maybe someday...

Ha thanks.. yeah but its a long shot I could see my self winning the lottery than  she and I becoming a couple she is from Indonesia of Chinese and Korean ancestry  and I am from the Philippines and now she just moved to Sweden and is happily married. Oh well.... life goes on.
And she listens openly

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2019, 07:44:10 PM »

When my wife and I first got together, we did EVERYTHING together.  Within days after she moved out here (she was in grad school when we met, and she moved across the country to move in with me), we went to a Rush concert.  A few months later, I got dragged to see Tori Amos.  We did a few more shows together before realizing that we'd both be much happier by not dragging the other to see shows we didn't want to see.  That may be part of the reason why I have a nearly 10 year gap in my DT concert attendance record (Dec. 1994 through Sept. 2004).

As far as concerts go, we like a lot of the same music so it makes sense to go to concerts together if our schedules align.  There are several cases where we like different music so we'll either go with friends or alone. 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2019, 04:20:58 AM »

You should watch 500 Days of Summer to get over her ;)

Whenever these discussions crop up I find them puzzling, mostly because I'm a huge music fan (and I'm in the small number of women that define themselves by fandoms - you may have noticed that men do that more, on average) and so most of my friendships are based on my local music scene and over the internet it's based on music fandom as well.

Looking at the number of my friends on Facebook as a metric, I have 400 friends (don't add just about anyone), 80 of them have liked Dream Theater's page on Facebook, and 25 of these friends are women. I know there's probably about 5 or 6 more I know who have never been active on Facebook who also like Dream Theater, have listened to their albums, etc. I know all of them in person - those who live in my home country, that is. I have never met most of my international internet friends. Only three of them are from DTF - Deb, Gwen, Nem. If you're a woman of DTF I missed to add on Facebook, feel free to add me :lol

If most of your friends are friends from school, and then work, and then maybe a side activity, of course you're not gonna know many music fans, and then you might not know a single woman who listened to Dream Theater. If you're active in your local scene, you've probably met more than you think. And your local scene doesn't have to be super prog friendly for that to happen - hell, Dream Theater never even had a concert in Belgrade.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 04:32:02 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2021, 02:29:13 PM »
How many women (in percentage) have you seen at Dream Theater concerts?
I would like to know.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2021, 02:37:02 PM »
Not sure who counts.. :\.  But I always see quite a bit of women there! I will guess...30-40%

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2021, 02:53:43 PM »
Seems like these days you’re not allowed to identify gender, so who the hell knows?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2021, 03:43:29 PM »
Not sure who counts.. :\.  But I always see quite a bit of women there! I will guess...30-40%

Sounds about right in my experience.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2021, 06:44:26 AM »
I've definitely seen women at DT shows, but they are usually significant others of men attending.  I see groups of men attending, but I've never seen a group of women.

And of course, both of my kids are (physically) female.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2021, 01:52:50 PM »
When I attended The Astonishing at Port Chester NY, I sat next to a couple and the male was just along for the ride. He confessed to being the more casual fan compared to his significant other, who pushed for attending the show.  She was WAY into it. I remember her telling me she had the album going in her car 24/7 and that she preferred disc 2 over disc 1.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2021, 04:07:41 AM »
I did see quite a few women when I saw DT in 2016 and 2017. (one sitting next to me actually every time during the two concerts I attended on these tours, and a couple sitting behind me in 2017.) It wasn't too common earlier on, if memory serves.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Cirone328

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2021, 09:08:46 AM »
Damn! I thought this was a post on women DT fans posting a pic of themselves!  :'(

Offline pg1067

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2021, 09:22:34 AM »
Damn! I thought this was a post on women DT fans posting a pic of themselves!  :'(

That would certainly be more fun!  ;-)