Author Topic: U2 thread  (Read 49833 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The U2 thread - What Do You Want?
« Reply #175 on: June 25, 2014, 12:48:24 PM »
Well, considering they had to rush finishing up Pop because they already had booked the tour, which they said was the reason why that album never was as good as it could have been, they are obviously very careful to not make that mistake again, hence these constant delays.  Given their ages, I sort of lump them into the "anything we get out of them is gravy at this point" category.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: June 25, 2014, 02:54:06 PM »
You'd think that in the last 17 years they'd have gotten around to releasing that album as it should have been.

They put out 4 songs on the Best of 1990-2000 compilation.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #177 on: July 05, 2014, 12:50:30 PM »
Fuck U2. They are one of the blandest bands out there. They used to be a rock band. What happened? Now they're basically creating music that's in the exact same style as Coldplay. U2 is not a pop band. Pop rock.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #178 on: July 06, 2014, 01:49:29 AM »
Still waiting on new stuff from these guys.....although nothing tops the older material.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #179 on: July 06, 2014, 10:56:44 AM »
Fuck U2. They are one of the blandest bands out there. They used to be a rock band. What happened? Now they're basically creating music that's in the exact same style as Coldplay. U2 is not a pop band. Pop rock.

Thanks for your contribution. :lol :lol

Still waiting on new stuff from these guys.....although nothing tops the older material.

That can be said for most bands, but if the next album is of similar quality to the last few, but with better sound, I'll be content.  I'm not expecting another Achtung Baby or Joshua Tree at this point.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #180 on: July 06, 2014, 11:21:59 AM »
True.....I'm one of the biggest U2 fans out there and I love every album they've done. I really miss the cold, dark tone of Bono's voice from the early records, even though that's not something he can help cuz of his age. The softer warmer tone does fit the newer material though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: July 06, 2014, 11:44:56 AM »
I hope it's true that the album is still on course for this year. It's a heck of a gap but it could be good if the last two singles are anything to go by.

Less experimentation - more "U2".

Apart from Achtung baby - their best albums are when they are basically just being U2 and not straying too far from their core sound.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2014, 01:07:29 PM »
SONGS OF INNOCENCE. On ITUNES NOW.

FREE. :o

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #183 on: September 09, 2014, 01:08:37 PM »
I was watching the Apple Keynote when they performed and announced that! I couldn't believe it. It looks like you can download it for free up until mid-October

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #184 on: September 09, 2014, 02:00:07 PM »
Wow, that is pretty awesome.  I'll be listening to this later today when I have time. :coolio

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: September 09, 2014, 02:05:27 PM »
Wow, that is pretty awesome.  I'll be listening to this later today when I have time. :coolio

Every Breaking Wave is like classic U2.

Interestingly - neither "Ordinary Love" or " Invisible" are on the album. But You can add them to your own playlist if you want anyway.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: September 09, 2014, 02:34:37 PM »
This is a pretty solid album. Much better than "...On The Horizon".

I'm on track 9 of 11 and there's been nothing as dreary as "Grace" or "One Step Closer" or "White As Snow".

This is probably what NLOTH could have sounded like if Danny and Brian weren't so heavily involved.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #187 on: September 09, 2014, 04:32:13 PM »
I'm checking it out now on iTunes and I'm not a huge fan of U2.  However, so far, it's sounding pretty good.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #188 on: September 09, 2014, 05:58:32 PM »
I just found it in my iTunes library. It just downloaded into it by itself. Fucking cool!
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: September 10, 2014, 02:34:24 AM »
First play thru and nothing stood out as bland as anything from the last album. I need to give it a proper listen.

Also I think this is the first album in yonks that doesn't have Danny Lanois or Brian Eno involved in any way.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: September 10, 2014, 02:37:52 AM »
" In a three star out of five review on behalf of The Guardian, Caspar Llewellyn Smith noting how U2's "treading old ground without much of a sense of how to move forward."[8] "

:lol They've been going for nearly 40 years. Just be happy they're putting out music at all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #191 on: September 10, 2014, 08:08:20 AM »
First listen....sounds good so far.  I really liked some of the songs near the end. 

Am I imagining it, or does this sound much better than the last few records, meaning not nearly as much compression?  It sounds like the music is actually being allowed to breathe.  I liked NLOTH, but man oh man, that one was so squashed, I can barely listen to it anymore.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: September 10, 2014, 08:24:48 AM »
Pretty good stuff! This coming from someone who has deliberately avoided U2 since The Joshua Tree was released. Perhaps my tastes have changed and I should revisit their releases since then.

Who'd have ever guessed that someone would characterise Joey Ramone as "The Miracle"?  :lol
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: September 10, 2014, 04:23:37 PM »
First listen....sounds good so far.  I really liked some of the songs near the end. 

Am I imagining it, or does this sound much better than the last few records, meaning not nearly as much compression?  It sounds like the music is actually being allowed to breathe.  I liked NLOTH, but man oh man, that one was so squashed, I can barely listen to it anymore.

NLOTH soured really quickly to me. I though Atomic Bomb sounded ok compression wise and ATYCLB had great songs on but hardly any life to it.

This album is the first album since Pop on which Danny Lanois & Brian Eno had no input.

They virtually joined the band on the last album and it shows.

I think the first few songs are all good.

Seeing as they're basically in 's back pocket - it's funny how they have a song called Iris - which is Siri spelled backwards :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #194 on: September 10, 2014, 07:33:29 PM »
I just found it in my iTunes library. It just downloaded into it by itself. Fucking cool!

Yeah this happened.  I don't really have an interest in U2 - I like a few of their songs - but I'm not sure if its fucking cool or not... seems to me a little off (... Orwellian?) that Apple can just add whatever music they like to someone's iTunes library.  I guess there's something in the terms in conditions (that EVERYBODY reads :\ ) that makes it fine.  Whatevs, its their house, I just live in it. 

Nevertheless its a fascinating concept, and I wonder if this is where the tattered anus that is the record industry is headed in the future.  I even heard on the radio this morning 'The new U2 album has been downloaded by half a million people!!" lol yeah, unwittingly maybe. 

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #195 on: September 11, 2014, 02:57:08 AM »
Most of the critics in France about this album are catastrophic... :facepalm:

https://www.lesinrocks.com/2014/09/10/musique/u2-apple-grand-cambriolage-11523731/
"U2 impose their new album to the world via itunes : the method is as questionable as the album is bad."  :biggrin:

"A group of millionaires "offers" his album exclusively on iTunes and the devaluation of music reached its climax. Well done, U2 "

A comment from the Ultimate Classic Rock website : "U2 made their money from Apple by being on stage..." :tup :rollin

Totally hilarious!! :lol :lol :lol

"Songs of Innocence is an argument for the album-as-background-noise, or maybe just the album-as-accessory-to-technology, the forgettable prize drowning in the much-more-desired Crackerjacks. On one of the album’s most elegiac songs, Bono sings, “Every breaking wave on the shore tells the next one there’ll be one more.” So does every iPhone."  :loser:

The most pathetic and egocentric band on earth... :hefdaddy
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 03:15:32 AM by sylvinception »
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: September 11, 2014, 04:23:07 AM »
It's 2014.

What better way to promote yourself to new fans than to give away your album and even take away the "chore" of downloading ?

The hate for U2 is ridiculous. You try selling 250 million records worldwide and see how you change as a person.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: September 11, 2014, 04:23:33 AM »

Nevertheless its a fascinating concept, and I wonder if this is where the tattered anus that is the record industry is headed in the future.  I even heard on the radio this morning 'The new U2 album has been downloaded by half a million people!!" lol yeah, unwittingly maybe.

Half a billion :p

And I may be mistaken - it was in everyone's cloud and you still had to transfer it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #198 on: September 11, 2014, 07:29:00 AM »
It's 2014.

What better way to promote yourself to new fans than to give away your album and even take away the "chore" of downloading ?

The hate for U2 is ridiculous. You try selling 250 million records worldwide and see how you change as a person.

Agreed.  They give their new record away for free and some still find a way to bitch about them.  It's both hilarious and pathetic at the same time.

Anyway, I am enjoying this record a lot.  Most of the songs I am liking a lot.  California and Cedarwood Road are the only ones not standing out much to me at the moment, but they might soon enough.  It's hard to pick an early favorite, but I'd probably go with The Troubles or Sleep Like a Baby Tonight.  I'm sure my favorites will change and move up and down like crazy the more I listen. 

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: U2 thread - v. Free Music!!!
« Reply #199 on: September 11, 2014, 09:29:42 AM »

Half a billion :p

And I may be mistaken - it was in everyone's cloud and you still had to transfer it.

Yes, sorry half of BILLIONS!!  And yeah, I realise it was in the cloud, I was commenting more on the idiotic statement I heard on the radio this morning.

It's 2014.

Agreed.  They give their new record away for free and some still find a way to bitch about them.  It's both hilarious and pathetic at the same time.

Myeah I guess its just the somewhat underhanded way it was snuck into iTunes libraries that bothers a lot of people, which I understand.  Bands (maybe not of U2's calibre) have been releasing music for free for years, its just never been 'SURPRISE I put my new album in your iCloud without your knowledge, Love Bonzzz xx.'

I'm no U2 hater, the whole concept is just very interesting to ponder - the changing face of the cultural field of music, whether this event signifies a change in the industry and whether we will see more of this sort of thing.  The music fan in me is kinda excited by it.  But the anti-capitalist, anti-corporate anarchist in me (lol) is wary.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #200 on: September 11, 2014, 09:57:51 AM »
They give their new record away for free and some still find a way to bitch about them.  It's both hilarious and pathetic at the same time.

By giving it away for free you mean they negotiated a fee with Apple for which they would allow Apple to give it away for free.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #201 on: September 11, 2014, 09:59:44 AM »
It's still free to us, regardless of what the band got paid by Apple.  Jeez. :\ :facepalm:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: September 11, 2014, 05:24:02 PM »
It's 2014.

Anyway, I am enjoying this record a lot.  Most of the songs I am liking a lot.  California and Cedarwood Road are the only ones not standing out much to me at the moment, but they might soon enough.  It's hard to pick an early favorite, but I'd probably go with The Troubles or Sleep Like a Baby Tonight.  I'm sure my favorites will change and move up and down like crazy the more I listen.

I put on the album on the way to work today and " Song For Someone " could be the most beautiful thing they've ever put out.

I thought " Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own " was gorgeous but this easily tops it. I was welling up.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: September 11, 2014, 05:24:47 PM »

The most pathetic and egocentric band on earth... :hefdaddy

Why bother posting in a thread about something you hate ?

My twitter timeline is all

" I wouldn't check out the U2 album if you paid me "

" I'd rather a child in Africa died every minute than listen to U2 "

" If any of the new U2 album comes on the TV - I might have to destroy my TV "

" Coldplay wannabes " ... erm - cart before the horse ? Coldplay want to be so U2 so hard that it's actually funny.

" Lol - U2 have to give their album away coz nobody would buy it "

Right - let's see how you react if your favourite band gave their new album away - bet you'd change your tune then...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #204 on: September 11, 2014, 06:20:32 PM »
Yep, U2 haters are often times so irrationally dumb, it's comical.

Song for Someone is definitely a gorgeous tune.  I think that, The Miracle, Every Breaking Wave and Iris (Hold Me Close) are the no-brainers to get played live.

This is Where You Can Reach Me Now is a major sleeper tune.

The Troubles would be awesome live, especially if they expand that ending, where it sounds like Edge was gonna play a ripping solo before it faded out, but will they trigger the female vocal?  That might be odd, as they've never had a problem with backing tracks, but a backing lead vocal being triggered would be new.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #205 on: September 11, 2014, 06:23:10 PM »
I find it unsettling that iTunes can just download stuff on its own like that.

I don't have a problem with U2 or anything, I mostly just hate iTunes.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: September 12, 2014, 12:21:05 AM »
I gave it a full listen last night, and I really liked it. Can't really compare it to their other recent stuff though, I've only listened to their 80s and 90s albums.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: September 12, 2014, 04:23:17 AM »
Compared to their three 00s albums :

It's more experimental than All That You Can't Leave Behind

It's closest to How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb song wise

and it's way way better than No Line On The Horizon.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #208 on: September 12, 2014, 10:07:46 AM »
Man, I wish NLOTH would be rereleased with a fresh mix where the music is allowed to breathe.  Magnificent, Unknown Caller and Fez/Being Born are all outstanding, and the majority of the rest is good. Get On Your Boots and Stand Up Comedy still blow big hairy chunks, however.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #209 on: September 16, 2014, 02:30:53 PM »
Yeah, I'm really, really liking this new album. I think Every Breaking Wave is my favorite so far.