Author Topic: U2 thread  (Read 50005 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The U2 thread - What Do You Want?
« Reply #105 on: July 04, 2013, 09:44:43 AM »
It really is funny and kind of annoying how many U2 records you can listen to and think, "Man, I wish this sounded better."  The answer is most of them. :lol 

Fortunately, they always bring it live, so there are always great live versions of most of their good songs, although with Bono's voice getting older and not as consistent live, it is harder to get great live versions of newer songs, so it really would be nice if they would make this new album sound great. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2013, 07:14:23 PM »
I've heard a few times that the guitar and bass on " Bullet The Blue Sky " are in different keys.

But from what i've seen and heard Edge playing live - he's definitely playing in E minor and Adam is modulating back and forth between E and D.

Ergo - they're both in E minor.

So I don't know what they're going on about.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2013, 09:13:53 AM »
I've read that that happened on a quite a few songs on the early albums. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2013, 02:15:47 PM »
But not on Bullet.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: September 09, 2013, 05:56:41 AM »
Latest news is that the album will be out in 2014 - tying with "...Horizon" as the longest gap between albums at 5 years each.

A bit crap considering they originally wanted to release a hasty follow up to "...Horizon" in 2010.

Even worse considering that the album was reportedly "finished" a lot earlier in the year.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: November 05, 2013, 01:30:10 PM »

* * * * * According to Rolling Stone Magazine * * * * *

The band are in New York mixing their new album.

Finally some news !!

And now they're saying that they *hope* to finish recording by Christmas. God above. Why does it take them so fuckin long ?

Just go in a studio, record 10 songs and release it. Not every fuckin note has to be scrutinised under a microscope for months on end.

This is why their most recent albums are so devoid of any feeling . It's because they over produce the shit out of everything til there's no life left

to the songs then compress the remaining shit out of it.

By the time the album comes out - it will be the longest gap between studio albums in their career.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 02:07:01 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2013, 11:09:12 PM »
Sounds like U2. :lol :lol

I'll definitely be checking this out when it finally hits stores, but I just know they will compress it to death.  Ugh.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2013, 11:03:10 AM »
All that you can't leave behind is a great album but think how much better it would have sounded if it had any dynamics AT ALL.

I can't stand how the guitar is always on one side and sounds like it's being miked up from 100 metres away.

And the drums always sound like a tiny tippy tappy drum machine.

All their songs are better live because that's how they're supposed to sound.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2013, 11:47:14 AM »
I still like that fact that U2 is willing to experiment with their sound all these years later.  They are not afraid of failure and that what I love about them except for their great knack for incredible hooks.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2013, 11:48:46 AM »
On the other hand - it's easy to sell "only" 5 million copies of an experimental album when you're $250m up.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2013, 11:52:12 AM »
 But they were like that when they were piss poor as well and it's about art not anything else.  That's what matters for me as a music lover.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2013, 11:57:35 AM »
One could be very cynical about them releasing two very U2 sounding albums back to back after Pop. Plus those two tours were extremely lucrative as well.

I wonder why they decided to try out the enormo-stage again for 360 given that PopMart was such a flop.

After all - NLOTH was hardly a blockbuster album. But the 360 tour was one of the highest grossing tours *EVER*.

I guess you could fit more people in the stadium but first you had to sell the dates etc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2013, 12:06:30 PM »
kingshmegland is correct; U2 has almost always been pretty daring and not afraid to experiment with their sound.  The irony is that a lot of people think they always sound the same, but I think that has mostly to do with Bono's voice and Edge's guitar sound being so identifiable that when some hear either or both, their reaction is, "Yep, sounds like U2."  But think of how ballsy is was to do what they did with Achtung Baby, radically changing their sound like that when they were at the time already the biggest (regular working*) band in the world.  That could have backfired on them, but it did the opposite: it solidified their standing as the biggest band in the world at the time (which was no small feat, considering how big Metallica and Guns N' Roses were in the early 90s). 

*regular working meaning bands that regularly still recorded and toured, as opposed to bands like the Stones, Floyd, The Who, etc.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: November 07, 2013, 12:15:04 PM »
Yeah and it annoys me when people say Edge can't play guitar and has to rely on delay.

Just check out *any* of his Bullet The Blue Sky solos. Preferably the one from Popmart or Zoo TV.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #119 on: November 07, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
I can't keep track of every live version of Bullet the Blue Sky on official releases :lol, but I just know that none of the others have ever come close to touching the Rattle & Hum one.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: November 07, 2013, 02:05:09 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN-HQicdLus

This will do ;)

+ the final one sounds a bit ropey. Must have been an off night.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 02:12:53 PM by Kotowboy »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: November 07, 2013, 04:27:51 PM »
I remember how they went slightly Americana for The Joshua Tree and the live album at at time when they were breaking big in the US.  They are in a position many bands don't have the luxury of.  Making music they want to make and still have a large following.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: November 13, 2013, 09:56:50 AM »
https://www.nme.com/news/u2/73795

April looking likely ?

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #123 on: December 10, 2013, 06:54:08 AM »
At last, the return of the most overestimated and egocentric rock band in history... :yeahright

Can't wait!!  :loser: :facepalm: :'(
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2013, 06:57:57 AM »
You know, I can't really say I'm a fan of U2. Appreciate their importance, like the occasional song, but a fan? Not particularly.

That fact doesn't mean I should come into the thread dedicated to them and throw around insulting emoticons. If you don't like em, fine, but don't stink up their thread letting us know.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: December 10, 2013, 07:37:44 AM »
At last, the return of the most overestimated and egocentric rock band in history... :yeahright

Then don't post in this thread.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: December 10, 2013, 08:48:41 AM »

Then don't post in this thread.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #127 on: December 10, 2013, 11:49:31 PM »
I know All That You Cant Leave Behind is considered an album where they went back to their Rock roots, but too me it just sounds like bland pop music. Pop-rock. Or is that what U2 has been doing all along. I'v listened to Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree, and those IMO are rock albums. ATYCLBehind just sounds just so goddamn poppy and commercial. The Atomic Bomb album...well, it's been awhile since i heard it and can't remember much. I did like the song Miracle Drug and thought it was very catchy.

ATYCLB just feels to be lacking depth. The songs have no soul, regardless of what Bono may think of himself.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: February 06, 2014, 07:10:28 PM »
SO - what does everyone think of " Invisible " ?

It's a free download from iTunes or their website if you didn't already know.

It's a little more like All That You Can't Leave Behind with a bit of Atomic Bomb.

To me it sounds like a mixture of Beautiful Day & City Of Blinding Lights - i.e. more like U2.

I hope the rest of the album is as big and catchy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #129 on: February 06, 2014, 10:09:20 PM »
Dang, I grabbed the free download on Sunday, but forgot to listen to it. :lol :lol Combination of the Super Bowl and the nasty cold I had just made me forget, I guess.

Anyway, listening now, sounds pretty good.  Nothing too special, but catchy enough.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: February 07, 2014, 05:40:48 AM »
There's been one song on the last 3 U2 albums that is just boring and should have been cut -

• Grace
• One Step Closer
• White As Snow

There will probably be one on the next album too.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #131 on: February 07, 2014, 08:15:02 AM »
Yep, I listened to it twice, and while the hook is kind of catchy, there really is very little substance to the song.  More and more, the band sounds like they are on auto-pilot.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: February 08, 2014, 05:33:34 AM »
To be quite honest - i'd much rather have an album of U2 on autopilot than another album like Passengers 1 or No Line On The Horizon.

Their best albums are when they sound like themselves.

Achtung Baby being the only exception.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #133 on: February 08, 2014, 07:32:36 AM »
I'll be curious to hear their new one when it drops in April.  Last saw them with the giant stadium stage back in 2008 and they're still a fantastic live experience.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #134 on: February 08, 2014, 08:26:48 AM »
Seeing U2 live was like a religious experience for me lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: February 08, 2014, 10:21:31 AM »
I'll be curious to hear their new one when it drops in April.  Last saw them with the giant stadium stage back in 2008 and they're still a fantastic live experience.

It's June or July now. Of course last year they said they will be done by November. Now Bono has said it's still not finished.

They always tinker and fiddle all the way to the end. Apparently they were still recording vocals whilst they were MASTERING Pop....

FFS. Why do they over-over-over-analyse everything ? Just record your 12 best songs and put it out....Gawd.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #136 on: February 18, 2014, 08:32:32 AM »
U2 on Jimmy Fallon's first Tonight Show last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FrXq_c_DHM

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: February 18, 2014, 12:17:37 PM »
That acoustic version was great !

Ordinary Love is a great song but it does remind me of non-album single " Electrical Storm " from about 2000.

I hope the production of " Invisible " is indicative of the whole album. It's what was lacking in ...Horizon.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #138 on: February 18, 2014, 10:18:44 PM »
I'v listened to Achtung Baby and Juniper Tree, and also ATYCLB and Atomic Bomb.

The early stuff is where they were very much a rock band. But ATYCLB just sounds like a Pop Rock band to me. Anyone agree that these days they are just pop rock these days? even more so than Coldplay?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2014, 12:39:57 AM »
^^ Is there anything wrong with them being pop rock?

Anywho, I checked out their 360 Rose Bowl show DVD thing and yeah, it started pretty good and all of that, but somehow the ending was not really a strong one.  Overall, I found them enjoyable and I didn't hear too much about them prior to that with the exception of Beautiful Day.