Author Topic: One side blinders.  (Read 927 times)

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
One side blinders.
« on: July 17, 2011, 06:35:51 AM »
I really wasn't sure what to call this thread. The word "fundamentalist/ism" came to mind but I felt it too strong a word. I have been observing more closely people's reactions to different elements of society, while keeping in mind their views on religion and social policy. Of course things like murder, theft and other obvious issue would naturally be colored by a person religious views. My observations have been more geared towards the grey areas. I'll give you an example; one of my colleagues at work is a homosexual atheist. He was fostered as a child in some very hard line religious house holds, that were more abusive than shelters.

Our conversation went as follows (paraphrased)

Colleague: Did you hear about the Muslim's are stirring up trouble in Toronto?
Me: No. What's going on?
Colleague: They want prayer to be put into schools.
Me: Well I hope that doesn't hold up, it's illegal.
Colleague: Yeah they want to be able to separate and pray. 
Me: Wait, what? Separate and pray?
Colleague: They want to be able to leave and go pray during school.
Me: So...
Colleague: The Canadian government is a secular government and should not be funding religion (long winded spew about unrelated shit)
Me: Government isn't as long as they are not paying someone to teach or lead in prayer. The teacher can be nice and call a recess or something like that. But they may accommodate any religion at the expense of the education of the other children. If the religious want to potentially handicap themselves by leaving class, let them.   

He reluctantly agreed. Although I feel he will aboutface when I am not present. If you notice by this conversation he started out with a completely constrewed and false summary of events in Toronto. He obviously knew the true story but seem to lie for shock value and to further "his cause" by convincing me by these lies.

This bothers me quite a bit, not saying that I have never done it. When I talk about events I attempt to be as accurate as possible and if I am unsure I will let others know about it. I will tell them to not take my word for it but to look it up for themselves.

A different example from the same colleague following the last conversation. 
Colleague: I don't like that the hospital has to pay for a chaplain. Patients should have to bring in there own people.
Me: Why?
Colleague: (more about how it's a secular government)
Me: But this is a hospital and as a hospital it is our duty to make the sick well. If we cannot make the sick well we make them comfortable. I have no problem what-so-ever with the hospital having a chaplain. Would you deny someone whatever comfort they receive from religion while they are on there death bed? As much as I am against religion, I do recognize it's need in certain situations.

I think this way of seeing the world is dangerous. These examples are our average tax paying, voting citizens. I honestly don't come into contact with many people (other than friends) that are willing to see beyond there shortsightedness on there own. It either needs to be brought up or verbally beat into them. 

I don't know, this is more or less me thinking and typing. What do you ladies and gents think? Do you come across this much? Do you catch yourselves doing it?

Offline GuineaPig

Re: One side blinders.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 06:43:02 AM »
Technically, there's nothing in the Canadian constitution that mentions separation of church and state, let alone enforces its practice.  It's just a principle we adhere to far more seriously than the States.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
Re: One side blinders.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 06:53:17 AM »
Technically, there's nothing in the Canadian constitution that mentions separation of church and state, let alone enforces its practice.  It's just a principle we adhere to far more seriously than the States.
Well I think that would be another grey area. As it does not declare it is not allowed, but does give people the right to be free of it.