Author Topic: 2011-07-17 - Coliseu do Porto - Porto, POR  (Read 8006 times)

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
2011-07-17 - Coliseu do Porto - Porto, POR
« on: July 17, 2011, 02:54:11 AM »
Tonight show starts at 21 PM EET time. Great venue, there You have link, I have no possibility to paste some pictures in here today.

https://www.coliseudoporto.pt/

Some Guys from Portugal? ;) wonder if today will be Metropolis... ;)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 05:25:40 AM by cyberdrummer »

Offline SjundeInseglet

Re: 2011-07-17 Coliseu do Porto, Oporto, PORTUGAL
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 08:15:08 AM »
I'll be attending this show (my fifth DT gig since 2000) so I'll post about it here later today. I'm really, really looking forward to it too. Love that the band's sounding so tight (something tells me that it has a lot to do with the fact that the song tempos are closer to the ones on the albums) in all the recent youtube clips. And I truly dig how beautifully Mike Mangini meshes with the rest of the band. I'm sure I'll have a blast. Bring it on...

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 08:17:05 AM »
Well hello :) We are counting on quick news ;) have a good show !!! :metal

Offline AnotherWinner

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 05:23:42 PM »
Hi (first post :D)!! I was at this show. It was really awesome :D the setlist was very similar to the ones from previous shows:

1. Under A Glass Moon
2. These Walls
3. Forsaken
4. Endless Sacrifice
Drum Solo
5. Ytse Jam
6. Peruvian Skies
7. The Great Debate
8. On the Backs of Angels
9. Caught In A Web
10. Through My Words
11. Fatal Tragedy
12. The Count of Tuscany

(I don't really consider The Count of Tuscany as an encore. They just skipped to this song right away after Fatal Tragedy)

The show was great. The crown was insane (LaBrie said it himself)!!! Mangini lost a drum stick in the middle of the drum solo. LaBrie almost skipped the intro of Peruvian Skies when he started singing too soon. But these things happen :P This guys are really amazing! So good to get to see them again :D

I'm only "disappointed" they didn't play LtL/Metropolis :( ...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 05:46:13 PM by AnotherWinner »

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 05:28:59 PM »
Setlist:

1. Under A Glass Moon
2. These Walls
3. Forsaken
4. Endless Sacrifice
Drum Solo
5. Ytse Jam
6. Peruvian Skies
7. The Great Debate
8. On the Backs of Angels
9. Caught In A Web
10. Through My Words
11. Fatal Tragedy
---------------------------
12. The Count of Tuscany

Just got home from the show. It was great, as expected.

DT is truly sounding (and looking) like a cohesive unit (everyone seems to be having a lot of fun on stage, particularly John Myung... and they all make eye contact with each other regularly throughout the set).

LaBrie was in top form and he sang all the material perfectly (I never caught him in one of his infamous bad days but he was extremely good today... he smoked "Caugh in a Web") . He really upped his game as a performer/entertainer too (always running around stage and getting the crowd going... he even commanded it with his microphone poll at the end of "These Walls").

The venue (whose acoustics are pretty dreadful) was packed and everyone seemed to be into it too (clapping, chanting and making a whole lot of noise).

Mike Mangini was excellent (I was rooting for Minnemann during " The Spirit Carries On" episodes but I've really warmed up to Genie and I'm really, really glad he's in the band... he seems like such a nice, warm guy and he's a monster drummer... plus he gets the music and he genuinely seems to be having the time of his life with DT) and well received by the fans (who even chanted his name loudly two different times during the show.... that really warmed me up).

By the look of it I'm kind of sure DT's future record sales will be just fine (which is a very good thing). The fans aren't giving the sans MP DT a hard time (thankfully) and everyone seems to be enjoying the new, revamped and rejuvenated DT.

I'm just a tinsy little disappointed that we didn't get either "Metropolis" or "Learning to Live" (especially because the crowd was great and LaBrie even commented that they always get a great, energetic reception when they play here) but I guess the "Images and Words" songs are a bit taxing on James' voice so (like he stated before) they can't play them too often... still, I would have loved to hear either one of them (though I already got to see those two songs live before... It's just that I was looking forward to hearing Mangini kill on them).

All in all it was a great show. DT is on fire and everyone must catch them live this time around. It's well worth it!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 09:08:58 AM by SjundeInseglet »

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 06:26:31 PM »
Just a couple of videos (that are already cropping up online)... none of these is particularly good but they kind of give you an idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueykEmBBzoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHf5csh5G-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1NCWHA2KT0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWxeiSLgevM

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 09:47:55 PM »
holy crap, why aren't there more Portuguese fans commenting on the show?

Actually, after watching some of those vids its cause they are probably taking a day or two to recover from all the energy they exuded at the show.  Those guys are crazy!  I want to travel to Portugal to go to a show!

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 10:21:07 PM »
Thank You Guys for sharing and fast news !!!
Too bad They didn't play LTL or Metropolis, but I think that it's because of James, like he said in the interview with Prog-Sphere, he has to take rest sometimes from such a hard songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKbb1y-9JrQ - drum solo, around 2:00 MM lost his stick (amazing...unnoticeable)  :metal :metal

Offline Addy

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 12:54:33 AM »
Wow, watching those clips I have to say, James was great ! I think it's a good idea to skip the encore from time to time - it certainly helps him to stay in good shape. But I want I&W encore in Poland so badly ! I also like that Genie's drums solos are getting crazier with each gig :)

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 01:11:52 AM »
Wow, watching those clips I have to say, James was great ! I think it's a good idea to skip the encore from time to time - it certainly helps him to stay in good shape. But I want I&W encore in Poland so badly ! I also like that Genie's drums solos are getting crazier with each gig :)
Addy, I made some thinking and counting which encore we'll get in Poland ;)
LTL was played in Rome, Verona, and Moscow. So LTL - 3 times / 7 concerts
Metropolis was played in Kiev and Madrid. So Metropolis - 2 times / 3 concerts.
If we assume that the LTL era has ended, and Metropolis era had started I think that we could count on Metropolis in Katowice. If Metropolis era will not last for Katowice, then I predict Take The Time as an encore.

Offline AnotherWinner

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 04:06:55 AM »

unfortunately a lot of portuguese fans don't know about this forums :S but i'm guessing that some just need to recover too xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKbb1y-9JrQ - drum solo, around 2:00 MM lost his stick (amazing...unnoticeable)

a lot of people noticed but no one cared because the guy nailed the solo :P

i wish i could see them again tonight :(

Offline Addy

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 05:51:08 AM »
Addy, I made some thinking and counting which encore we'll get in Poland ;)
LTL was played in Rome, Verona, and Moscow. So LTL - 3 times / 7 concerts
Metropolis was played in Kiev and Madrid. So Metropolis - 2 times / 3 concerts.
If we assume that the LTL era has ended, and Metropolis era had started I think that we could count on Metropolis in Katowice. If Metropolis era will not last for Katowice, then I predict Take The Time as an encore.

Well, the set of my dreams for Poland would be getting rid of TCOT, since I heard it in 2009, filling the gap with LtL and playing Metropolis as an encore. But I guess it's pretty impossible, so I hope they'll do the encore, which they tend to skip from time to time.

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 07:08:39 AM »

unfortunately a lot of portuguese fans don't know about this forums :S but i'm guessing that some just need to recover too xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKbb1y-9JrQ - drum solo, around 2:00 MM lost his stick (amazing...unnoticeable)

a lot of people noticed but no one cared because the guy nailed the solo :P

i wish i could see them again tonight :(

Yeah, most people did notice but nobody really cared (because MM replaced the dropped stick in a nanosecond and carried on blowing the audience away).

I'm not sure if we've got a large Portuguese representation here on the DT forums or not... I'm leaning towards the latter though as I (in all my years as a lurker... ever since the old official boards circa 2001) don't really recall ever seeing many post by Portuguese fans... it's a shame too (as DT's quite popular around these parts).

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
Re: 2011-07-17 - Coliseu do Porto - Porto, POR
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 08:56:42 AM »
Wow.  Great Crowd Portugal!  Representin!.  one of the best I have seen yet.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 10:59:58 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKbb1y-9JrQ - drum solo, around 2:00 MM lost his stick (amazing...unnoticeable)  :metal :metal

Huh?! I didn't see that  :lol

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 02:21:05 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FinKm5L4de4&feature=related - 30 minutes of the show. It says that it is a part one, so maybe this Guy has filmed all show.

Offline WDMode

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 12:06:28 PM »
This was my 3rd DT concert in that venue, and as per usual, they didn't disapoint at all (Well, i was really hoping for Metropolis on the encore). Never saw them this tight, i'm suspecting DT will have a boom in their careers. So much enthusiasm on stage, JLB was on fire and Mangini, what a beast! Can't wait for them next year (I suppose around spring). Oh and the crowd in Porto is always something else! Beware Italians!!!! :biggrin:
\"Most rock journalism is people who can\'t write, interviewing people who can\'t talk, for people who can\'t read.\"<br />Frank Zappa

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 12:43:46 PM »
Beware Italians!!!! :biggrin:

Not a problem at all! :D I've always hoped our kind of excitment to spread somewhere else...

Offline WDMode

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 02:57:18 PM »
Maybe next year I'll try and catch them in Italy. I'm sure it's gonna be something special  ;)
\"Most rock journalism is people who can\'t write, interviewing people who can\'t talk, for people who can\'t read.\"<br />Frank Zappa

Offline WDMode

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 04:06:54 PM »

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline WDMode

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2011, 10:44:01 AM »

"Dinner!!"
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2011, 10:51:19 AM »

JLB: Fuck, I just felt as if a bear had grabbed me from behind.

JP: HE-HE-HE-HE *cute laugh*
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing