Author Topic: Why is Repentance not liked much amongst DT fans?  (Read 10234 times)

Offline Vajra

Why is Repentance not liked much amongst DT fans?
« on: July 14, 2011, 08:37:25 PM »
Well, we all know the ending drags on a little too long (despite it being a creative choice) but aside from that, I think this is one of DT's best sogs. It's very unique and unlike anything they've done. It also sounds like something right off Awake, so I don't understand the hate.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: Why is Repentance not liked much amongst DT fans?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 08:43:43 PM »
The first half is good, and the second half is completely unnecessary.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline DJay32

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 08:52:51 PM »
I don't know, OP. Honestly, I think "Repentance" is the climax of the entire suite. Specifically, I think it is the ninth movement, Restitution, the very one that most people seem to hate, that is where the suite hits its climax.

The whole song, really, gives me such great vibes. It's chillingly simple, and it's a remarkable contrast to the rest of the suite in terms of dynamics and mood. I love the reprisals of the "This Dying Soul" theme. The melodies are calming and catchy, the lyrics are reflective and interesting, and Petrucci's guitar solo is beautiful.

The ninth movement, starting with the voices, is so chilling that I can't believe people don't like it. The voices are an excellent touch, to show how widespread (yet at the same time, personal) the subject matter is. The section after the voices yet before the deep booming voice? That, my friends.. is nirvana. ^w^ They couldn't have done that part any better, in my opinion. It's where the whole suite turns from reflective to "Teach me how to be good," the theme which is prominent in "The Shattered Fortress." The booming voice is a nice addition, as well.

Overall, "Repentance" is an underappreciated gem, and the ninth movement is a key section to the Twelve-Step Suite. But then again, all this is just my opinion.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 09:02:27 PM »
What if Repentance ended with JP's epic solo and then went right into The Shattered Fortress? Non-fade in of course.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 09:03:58 PM »
Well, Repentance is my favorite off the album aside from the obvious ITPOE.  I also feel that CM is another highlight, of the album, and of their post Six output. 

Offline DJay32

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 09:04:33 PM »
What if Repentance ended with JP's epic solo and then went right into The Shattered Fortress? Non-fade in of course.

But.. but I love the ninth movement and the tenth's fade-in. ._. Why does no one like the stuff I doooo?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 09:06:03 PM »
But.. but I love the ninth movement and the tenth's fade-in. ._. Why does no one like the stuff I doooo?

You know, I just praised Repentance as being a favorite of mine, of SC. 

I guess talking foodstuffs' opinions don't count as much as those of actual people.

Offline DJay32

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 09:14:43 PM »

I guess talking foodstuffs' opinions don't count as much as those of actual people.

No, I know, sorry. xD For one thing, I'd typed out the reply before you posted, and I decided to go and post it anyway. The "no one" was an exaggeration, I admit. I'm really glad someone out there likes it that much as well.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 09:16:20 PM »

No, I know, sorry. xD For one thing, I'd typed out the reply before you posted, and I decided to go and post it anyway. The "no one" was an exaggeration, I admit. I'm really glad someone out there likes it that much as well.

I, too, am glad to hold a similar opinion regarding the song.  It's my favorite part of the series, which is saying quite a bit, the suite being one of my favorite things about the last few albums. 

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 09:17:50 PM »
Twas just a suggestion. I like the second half. I tried what I said in Audacity just now and it's not a solid transition unfortunately. Kind happens too fast.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 09:18:58 PM »
idk like it.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline DJay32

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 09:24:04 PM »

I, too, am glad to hold a similar opinion regarding the song.  It's my favorite part of the series, which is saying quite a bit, the suite being one of my favorite things about the last few albums.  

The suite (that I refer to affectionately as "Mike Portnoy's Twelve-Step Suite" :3) is, personally, a contender for "single favourite musical piece of all time" for me. There's not a movement in the entire suite that I dislike in any way. The only part, and I mean the literal only part of the entire suite that I found weak, was during the fifth movement ("This Dying Soul"), wherein James has a lot of distortion on his voice and just.. bah. He sings in a rather goofy fashion. But yet that movement is also one of my favourites, strictly because of the mindblowing extended instrumental section literally moments after James' odd vocals.

As I said, I consider "Repentance" to be the climax of the entire suite. "The Shattered Fortress" is just riding off the momentum to the end, much like the last two movements of "A Change of Seasons." That's right; I'm comparing the cryptic vocals and extended musical section (that "never ends") of "Repentance" to "I'm sick of all you hypocrites holding me at bay."

After all, the time has come for new classics. We can't keep thinking of the same old songs as the uncontested best. But that's just me, and I'm rambling now. ^^;
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:43:54 PM by DJay32 »

Offline Vajra

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 09:39:48 PM »
But that's just me, and I'm rambling now. ^^;
Nah, it wasn't rambling, I really appreciated what you had to say.  :tup

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 09:40:07 PM »
Because it's incredibly boring.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline wammabe

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 10:28:13 PM »
It has a great vibe. If I'm in the mood for the song, it doesn't drag at all. The rhody sounds near the start of the song give me orgasms for some odd reason...

Offline lithium112

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 10:28:57 PM »
I think Repentance is a pretty good song but because of the extended second part of the song I never really feel like listening to it on its own. I don't mind it as part of the album or as part of the 12-step suite in its entirety, but that's it.

Also I don't like how I can't shorten it's name. Calling it R is perhaps a tad too cryptic.

Offline Vajra

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 10:43:15 PM »
Also I don't like how I can't shorten it's name. Calling it R is perhaps a tad too cryptic.
What I don't like about its name is that it doesn't start off with "The/This" or use some type of imagery like all the other songs in the 12 step saga. "The Glass Prison" "This Dying Soul" etc. If I was to rename it, I'd call it "The Road of Repetance" or something like that, just so it fits in with the rest.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 10:47:30 PM »
Well, we all know the ending drags on a little too long

We do?  Speak for yourself, young man!  I think the ending is just fine at it is. 

To me, Repentance is definitely the best song on SC and the second best 12-Step song.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 11:49:18 PM »
I don't think it drags. I just generally don't like voice samples, and they are a major part of this song. And I haven't found a seamless way to edit them out. Without them, it would be one terrific song.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 11:58:22 PM »
I love it.  It's my favorite song from the twelve-step suite by far.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 11:59:07 PM »
I just like how Steven Wilson uses the song to apologize for talking negative about DT.

Overall, it's an okay song
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline wammabe

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 12:05:52 AM »
I just like how Steven Wilson uses the song to apologize for talking negative about DT.

Steven Wilson talked badly about DT??  :huh:

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 12:07:12 AM »

Steven Wilson talked badly about DT??  :huh:

He said he didn't like their music or something.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 12:08:18 AM »
Yeah, it's nothing major at all, just he will express his dislike for them. It's just not for him
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Zukuduku

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 01:18:58 AM »
For me, the only thing about the song that I do not like is the narrator voice that sounds like radio advertisements. For some reason, I cannot stand it so I fast-forward also the TSF section where it speaks. I think just plain MP voice would have been a much better and more emotional plus personal choice.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 01:21:04 AM »
For me, the only thing about the song that I do not like is the narrator voice that sounds like radio advertisements. For some reason, I cannot stand it so I fast-forward also the TSF section where it speaks. I think just plain MP voice would have been a much better and more emotional plus personal choice.
Yeah, I agree. That goes for the Shattered Fortress as well. I don't see why he had to lower the pitch on his voice. It sounds so tacky.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 03:32:38 AM »
IT DRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGS. And all you can do is live with it.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2011, 04:45:11 AM »
Top 25 song for me.

Offline Blackfield

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2011, 05:05:34 AM »
But still, it is a song with a natural progression. That's more than you can say about "The Shattered Fortress", a cut and paste kind of song with no though behind it, musically, what so ever. It's probably the worst Dream Theater song to date.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2011, 05:21:40 AM »
But still, it is a song with a natural progression. That's more than you can say about "The Shattered Fortress", a cut and paste kind of song with no though behind it, musically, what so ever. It's probably the worst Dream Theater song to date.
Yep :tup

I don't mind Repentance, but I do feel it drags on too long. The first few minutes are great, I like the mellow interpretation of the TDS riff and in its place in the whole suite Repentance fits well coming after three long, heavy tracks. But for me the song does much to overstay its welcome, and the part where people speak about regrets is a bit much for me aswell.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2011, 05:23:02 AM »
Great song, best on the album. Love the ending with the acoustic guitar and extremely distorted bass.

TGP
TSF
TROAE
R
TDS

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2011, 05:24:31 AM »
The ending isn't long enough.

Offline DJay32

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2011, 05:30:44 AM »
The ending isn't long enough.

A-fuckin'-men.

I also seem to be one of the minority who thinks "The Shattered Fortress" had some genius structure to it, and was not just a copy/paste job.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2011, 05:32:00 AM »
I'm also on the it drags boat. The last couple of minutes are just dragging with the "ahhhh, ahhhhh". Overall, imo, it's the weakest song of the AA suite, because of that moment.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2011, 06:58:11 AM »
Like most people have already stated it drags. I wish the second half was just cut out. It reminds me a little bit of OSI's "Stockholm". Great first half which gets ruined by a terrible second half.