Author Topic: Dream Theater to tour with Trivium  (Read 31105 times)

Offline Blackfield

Re: Dream Theater to tour with Trivium
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2011, 02:05:35 AM »
I'm guessing you're all going to the Dream Theater show to see Dream Theater, right?

Offline TheCor

« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2011, 03:59:55 AM »
I don't give a shit what anyone says, or what anyone's opinion is. I love Trivium and I love DT. This is an odd combo, for sure, but one I'm very happy with. Bring it on.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2011, 05:31:24 AM »
Skrillex!

lol

I'm guessing you're all going to the Dream Theater show to see Dream Theater, right?

No, I buy my DT tickets to see the opening bands only. Why the hell would I want to see Dream Theater?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2011, 05:34:41 AM »
Trivium are noticeably bigger than DT in the UK, so if they're touring together here, perfect.

A mutually beneficial opening band. DT'll help Trivium reach new fans, and Trivium fans'll come for the Triv and stay for the Theater. (Or, at the very least, leave after Trivium's set, allowing more space for me to get to the front. Bonus!)

Good combo.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2011, 06:33:58 AM »
I am so excited. Trivium is a band that I've gotten into the last year, and have been secretly enjoying immensely.

As Gadough said, bring it onnnn :metal

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2011, 06:37:28 AM »
Couple of questions:

-Is this a US or UK tour?
-Is it a co-headlining show or are Trivium opening?
-Hot Topic has some cool band shirts and every employee there is super nice and they don't deserve all the flack they get.  They deserve some of it, because I see girls wearing GIR merch even though they were like, two when Invader Zim was on the air and that's just stupid, but not all of it.

Offline Raoul Sanchez

« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2011, 06:43:06 AM »
I don't really see Trivium being the opening band here. They're a fair bit more popular.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2011, 06:43:17 AM »
alot of hipsterness going on. i liked dream theater before it was cool and trendy.. what if those weird kids start liking DT? big deal, it would only be a problem if they posted here. lIkE 0Mg i Luv DreAm ThEatre

I saw a bunch of these hotopic-core kids in NYC when DT played with Opeth

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2011, 06:48:20 AM »
I don't really see Trivium being the opening band here. They're a fair bit more popular.

But you can't really see DT open for anyone who isn't HUGE either.

EDIT: watched the video part that numbers suggested.  Looks like DT asked THEM to play, so Trivium is definitely opening or at least playing before DT.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2011, 06:50:10 AM »
Well, i guess that pretty much kills any chance of getting my girlfriend to come to the show.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2011, 07:22:33 AM »
Well, i guess that pretty much kills any chance of getting my girlfriend to come to the show.

Dump her ass.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2011, 07:32:26 AM »
You guys need to cut Trivium some slack. Decent band who have cut out all the posturing and have started to just kill it. Frontman is no Petrucci (he admires the guy and uses Rock Disciplie to warm up before shows!!!) but he is talented too. You guys should check out the longer tracks from Shogun. It's different to Dream Theater but it is far from bad material.

Also anyone thinking that this will be something along the lines of "An Evening With" or more than a 2 hour set is deluded. Trivium will get an hour minimum (or maybe a co headline but the interview didn't make it sound that way) if they are the only two bands on the tour, maybe 45 mins if there are smaller bands added onto the bill. DT will maybe get a little longer but absolute maximum 1 hours 45 mins if those are the only two bands.

Personally really excited about this.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2011, 08:04:38 AM »
The fact is, bands need to draw bigger audiences these days. If they can't do that, they can't tour. Point and simple. Remember what happened to the 2nd North American leg of the Black Clouds tour? Yeah. We all know Dream Theater can still play Europe and draw a profit. But what about the United States?

So, you know what? If Dream Theater can continue to tour the US and play decent sized venues by having a band like Trivium under their banner-- or by splitting the bill with them-- I'm fine with that. It's better than nothing at all.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2011, 08:25:49 AM »
I think Trivium are a cool band, certainly not similar to DT, but they have DT influence in some of their songs, and they have openly admitted that they are fans of DT.
Also, they are popular among the younger metal audience, so it will be a good chance for both bands to expand their audiences.
I wouldn't mind seeing them as the opening band for DT, i really like some of their songs.
(Of course i feel happier having Fates Warning opening for DT here in Greece :hat)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2011, 08:47:20 AM »
If skydivingninja is right, then its pretty funny they don't mind Trivium but some fans are being fans and that's laughable. Remember JLB likes Eminem, most Prog guys like music you despise...

On topic: If I can go to Mayhem, I'll be able to check them out live, and if DT come to my neck of the woods then I could see if their set was the same.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2011, 08:53:40 AM »
Haven't really heard Trivium besides the song they contributed to the "God of War: Blood and Metal" EP, but judging from this thread, they'll form a nice combo with DT :)

And

The fact is, bands need to draw bigger audiences these days. If they can't do that, they can't tour. Point and simple. Remember what happened to the 2nd North American leg of the Black Clouds tour? Yeah. We all know Dream Theater can still play Europe and draw a profit. But what about the United States?

So, you know what? If Dream Theater can continue to tour the US and play decent sized venues by having a band like Trivium under their banner-- or by splitting the bill with them-- I'm fine with that. It's better than nothing at all.

I pretty much agree with this, in conclusion.

Offline perfectchaos180

« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2011, 09:11:29 AM »
Well at least I don't have to worry about showing up super early like I usually do to see interesting prog bands...

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2011, 09:13:20 AM »
meh

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2011, 09:50:08 AM »
Haven't really heard Trivium besides the song they contributed to the "God of War: Blood and Metal" EP
This, but I suppose I will check them out.

And WTF Hot Topic?  Start a different thread.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2011, 09:55:55 AM »
As long as they still play at the State or Orpheum Theater here in MN, than I am happy
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline perfectchaos180

« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2011, 10:34:58 AM »
Other thoughts:

This better not be some stupid double headline deal and DT only gets an hour to an hour and a half....

The best part of DT shows is the fans... you can't get fans like that at any other metal concert... and that is now ruined
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 11:03:16 AM by perfectchaos180 »

Offline Aniland

« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2011, 11:11:32 AM »
It's not the style, it's the fanbase in general. I'd really not get a large group of obnoxious scene kids getting into Dream Theater because they are "so different and random lol". I want people to actually understand what they are listening to.

In a perfect world...
I don't think we have to worry about scene kids getting into Dream Theater, man. DT is far too complex for their 'tastes' at this present time. Their too busy jamming the musical genius of Asking Alexandria and Attack Attack!

That's like, the snobbiest thing I've read here.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2011, 11:19:28 AM »
@PerfectChaos: Yeah I'm worried about it being something dumb like that. I hope its just as openers.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2011, 11:20:02 AM »
It's not the style, it's the fanbase in general. I'd really not get a large group of obnoxious scene kids getting into Dream Theater because they are "so different and random lol". I want people to actually understand what they are listening to.

In a perfect world...
I don't think we have to worry about scene kids getting into Dream Theater, man. DT is far too complex for their 'tastes' at this present time. Their too busy jamming the musical genius of Asking Alexandria and Attack Attack!

I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline jsem

« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2011, 11:24:30 AM »

In a perfect world...

Win

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2011, 11:25:37 AM »
Ugh.

I have to say that is a horrible choice, I personally hate that band. I wouldn't go see DT if I had to sit through Trivium as well.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2011, 11:29:11 AM »
Other thoughts:

This better not be some stupid double headline deal and DT only gets an hour to an hour and a half....

The best part of DT shows is the fans... you can't get fans like that at any other metal concert... and that is now ruined

Yes, the best part of attending a DT concert are the legions of 40-50-year-old dudes standing dead still not singing along or making any sign that they're interested in what's happening other than clapping at the end or beginning of each song.  This will totally be ruined by younger kids who are more into the music and express it through simple movements like the horns or headbanging and/or singing along.  

I swear at the show I saw I was the only person headbanging or singing along.  I used to think MP would just silence the crowd for live DVDs in the USA, but with the exception of the "I"s in TCOT the crowd was pretty silent.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2011, 11:30:14 AM »
Other thoughts:

Yes, the best part of attending a DT concert are the legions of 40-50-year-old dudes standing dead still not singing along or making any sign that they're interested in what's happening other than clapping at the end or beginning of each song.  This will totally be ruined by younger kids who are more into the music and express it through simple movements like the horns or headbanging and/or singing along.  

I swear at the show I saw I was the only person headbanging or singing along.  I used to think MP would just silence the crowd for live DVDs in the USA, but with the exception of the "I"s in TCOT the crowd was pretty silent.
That just sounds...awkward.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2011, 11:53:40 AM »
giving Trivium a first listen (down from the sky)....
hmmm.  going back and forth

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2011, 11:56:29 AM »
Their last two albums are fantastic metal albums. Seriously.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2011, 12:06:37 PM »

No offense, but I could care less how the audience is reacting. I personally don't headbang or do anything at concerts besides air drum from time to time. I'm completely in awe of what is going on and enjoying the concert. I don't see why I need to be moving all the time at a concert to be enjoying myself.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline wammabe

« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2011, 12:16:43 PM »
Other thoughts:

lol, good thing I don't live wherever you live! The crowds here are fantastic! Maybe not that large, but still great. Too bad DT doesn't really come here very often though...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2011, 12:20:27 PM »
Guys it's 2011. The American metalcore scene is pretty much dead. The only people listening to the scene bands now are the people who really cared and weren't just going through a phase. And anyway the only scene bands still around are the ones who actually had something going on with their music outside being part of the scene. So please, everyone stop acting like precious DT is getting tainted by a bunch of mallrats with artificially black-hair, studded zebra belts, and women's jeans on. That is OVER, and has been for years. And even if it wasn't, caring so much about what other people are wearing/doing with their hair is so lame.

Sheesh.

This.  Any why anyone wouldn't want other people to discovery DT is baffling.  The more tickers and albums DT are able to sell, the better for everyone because that means they will be in a position where they are financially able to keep putting out albums and going on tours.  The petty "these people aren't cool enough to be fans of bands I like" posts are just plain stupid.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline perfectchaos180

« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2011, 12:36:30 PM »
Guys it's 2011. The American metalcore scene is pretty much dead. The only people listening to the scene bands now are the people who really cared and weren't just going through a phase. And anyway the only scene bands still around are the ones who actually had something going on with their music outside being part of the scene. So please, everyone stop acting like precious DT is getting tainted by a bunch of mallrats with artificially black-hair, studded zebra belts, and women's jeans on. That is OVER, and has been for years. And even if it wasn't, caring so much about what other people are wearing/doing with their hair is so lame.

Sheesh.

This.  Any why anyone wouldn't want other people to discovery DT is baffling.  The more tickers and albums DT are able to sell, the better for everyone because that means they will be in a position where they are financially able to keep putting out albums and going on tours.  The petty "these people aren't cool enough to be fans of bands I like" posts are just plain stupid.

Many DT fans have had the opinion that DT's music has declined in quality ever since joining Road Runner. They have become more popular, but the music quality, as well as tours, has gone down.

Everyone here wants DT to be successful, but some people don't want that to come at the cost of music. I listen to DT because I think that they used to do things musically that blew my mind and I had never heard from anyone else, not because I thought John Petrucci was a nice guy who deserved to be rich and famous. If he becomes famous while making good music, good for him. But if he has to make music more appealing to others to do that, then I am not for it. You say they can go on more tours and put out more albums, but its not like they were flipping burgers as a second job.

I am not against DT getting new fans, I am against DT changing their style to get new fans. You might not see as big of a change in their music as I do, but music is subjective, neither of us is right, but don't be so quick to dismiss the other's view.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2011, 12:39:07 PM »
...but don't be so quick to dismiss the other's view.

In general, I agree with that statement.  However, when the view is that the band or its fans may somehow become "tainted" by some other "less cool" music fans, that view is juvenile and has no place in intelligent discussion.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."