Author Topic: Dream Theater to tour with Trivium  (Read 31103 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: Dream Theater to tour with Trivium
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2011, 08:56:04 PM »
God damn it Roadrunner.

EDIT: I can see it now. Hot Topic/scene kids lining up to see Trivium and getting into Dream Theater as some bullshit trendy thing for long songs.

Uh... What?
It's what Hot Topic does to music. Makes it into some bullshit trend. Take a look at their clothing line. Every single band shirt has the exact same style for the most part, all for different bands with different styles (mostly). That's just one example, really.

Ummm... the only thing I could foresee the trendies getting into from DT would be Forsaken.  Just sayin'.
They'll find something to market. Just you wait. Scene kids will hear about this music that's all progressive and junk, and then suddenly writing longer songs with a ton of shitty synth, breakdowns and -core vocals will become the "new thing". And they'll all claim DT as an influence.
This is the scariest possible outcome. The 2010s give birth to progcore.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2011, 08:57:05 PM »
God damn it Roadrunner.

EDIT: I can see it now. Hot Topic/scene kids lining up to see Trivium and getting into Dream Theater as some bullshit trendy thing for long songs.

Uh... What?
It's what Hot Topic does to music. Makes it into some bullshit trend. Take a look at their clothing line. Every single band shirt has the exact same style for the most part, all for different bands with different styles (mostly). That's just one example, really.

Ummm... the only thing I could foresee the trendies getting into from DT would be Forsaken.  Just sayin'.
They'll find something to market. Just you wait. Scene kids will hear about this music that's all progressive and junk, and then suddenly writing longer songs with a ton of shitty synth, breakdowns and -core vocals will become the "new thing". And they'll all claim DT as an influence.

From your description, I'd imagine this new -core thing would sound more like dubstep with distorted guitars, double bass, and pig squeals.  (Hope no scenies are actually reading this; this could end up coming to life, if they catch this.)

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2011, 08:59:21 PM »
Sooo pumped :metal

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2011, 08:59:52 PM »
God damn it Roadrunner.

Uh... What?

That's already happening, but DT will have nothing to do with it. That style of music (Asking Alexandria, Design the Skyline etc) is based at least as much in image as it is in actual music. DT don't have the image. Never gonna happen. Plus why is this even an issue when tlaking about Trivium? Trivium have nothing to do with that whole genre. They're a great metal band, with 'core' influences sure, but far fewer than most.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2011, 09:00:42 PM »
Oh, and calling it right now. Trivium's drummer will leave sometime this year, and Mike Mangini will fill in and eventually leave DT.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2011, 09:01:28 PM »
Oh, and calling it right now. Trivium's drummer will leave sometime this year, and Mike Mangini will fill in and eventually leave because DT is a boring band to tour with.

Sounds like a job for Marco Minneman. 

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2011, 09:15:29 PM »
Because musically, the store's fanbase has already created this sort of...trendy standard for what is done by bands. Whiny vocals, core vocals of some kind (deathcore has become really big), breakdowns, etc.

I'm just saying is all. I was being slightly sarcastic, but mostly going off of what I've seen happen through that store and it's average shoppers.

EDIT: In response to Arch Benemy, I know Trivium are not musically like those bands at all. But they certainly have the fanbase. Much like Avenged Sevenfold and Disturbed have gotten.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2011, 09:18:39 PM »
I can't believe people actually give a shit about what someone else is wearing. I don't care is someone shops at Hot Topic, or American Eagle, or the Good Will store. Aren't we supposed to be above that now? Jesus.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2011, 09:20:12 PM »
Because musically, the store's fanbase has already created this sort of...trendy standard for what is done by bands. Whiny vocals, core vocals of some kind (deathcore has become really big), breakdowns, etc.

I'm just saying is all. I was being slightly sarcastic, but mostly going off of what I've seen happen through that store and it's average shoppers.

I don't like the trendies at all, either.

However, my school has a couple greater issues, being:

-People who believe, (I kid you not), that dubstep is the absolute peak of musicianship.  Ever.

and

-

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2011, 09:20:21 PM »
Hot Topic and anything they sell is a joke.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2011, 09:20:33 PM »
I don't give a shit what anyone says, or what anyone's opinion is. I love Trivium and I love DT. This is an odd combo, for sure, but one I'm very happy with. Bring it on.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2011, 09:20:50 PM »
It's not the style, it's the fanbase in general. I'd really not get a large group of obnoxious scene kids getting into Dream Theater because they are "so different and random lol". I want people to actually understand what they are listening to.

In a perfect world...
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2011, 09:22:56 PM »
It's not the style, it's the fanbase in general. I'd really not get a large group of obnoxious scene kids getting into Dream Theater because they are "so different and random lol". I want people to actually understand what they are listening to.

In a perfect world...
I don't think we have to worry about scene kids getting into Dream Theater, man. DT is far too complex for their 'tastes' at this present time. Their too busy jamming the musical genius of Asking Alexandria and Attack Attack!

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2011, 09:25:13 PM »
I just don't believe Trivium have that fanbase, certainly not in the UK anyway. I've seen them live a couple times and the most 'scene' thing I saw was gauged ears, which is pretty commonplace nowadays. A large percentage of the crowd were archetypal metalheads, sporting healthy beards and leather jackets.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2011, 09:28:26 PM »
Shogun

YOU AREN'T WOLF!!!

lol.

But thanks. I think we see eye to eye on a lot of music things too.

Wolf and I are both massive Trivium fanboys. We both agree that Ascendency is their best album, with Shogun being their second best. Really, you couldn't go wrong starting with either one. Just don't start with The Crusade.

Also, to everyone who is concerned...who cares if Trivium fans become fans of DT? Do you really think this will change anything? DT have gone on for two decades doing their own thing, but this tour and a couple trendy scene kids becoming fans of them will be the catalyst to them selling out? Please.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2011, 09:30:13 PM »
Guys it's 2011. The American metalcore scene is pretty much dead. The only people listening to the scene bands now are the people who really cared and weren't just going through a phase. And anyway the only scene bands still around are the ones who actually had something going on with their music outside being part of the scene. So please, everyone stop acting like precious DT is getting tainted by a bunch of mallrats with artificially black-hair, studded zebra belts, and women's jeans on. That is OVER, and has been for years. And even if it wasn't, caring so much about what other people are wearing/doing with their hair is so lame.

Sheesh.

Offline GavinMangini89

• BEES!!!!!
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2011, 09:34:01 PM »

Naw, man. Scene kids are out, Hipster and Dubstep are in. No worries.  :biggrin:
Man seeks a good time, but he is not a hedonist! He seeks love, he just doesnt know where to look. He looks under the beds of whores and in the hot stem of a crack pipe. But he should look to nature; gentle aquatic mammals have all the answers!

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2011, 09:37:18 PM »
I don't think the scene we're discussing is over at all, there are many new bands with that image or an updated version of it. And they're still popular. But they have NOTHING to do with Trivium. This discussion is bizarre. Trivium are just not a 'scene' band, they don't play 'scene' music and they don't have 'scene' fans. End of.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2011, 09:40:17 PM »
I don't think the scene we're discussing is over at all, there are many new bands with that image or an updated version of it. And they're still popular. But they have NOTHING to do with Trivium. This discussion is bizarre. Trivium are just not a 'scene' band, they don't play 'scene' music and they don't have 'scene' fans. End of.

I agree 100%. Trivium wore eyeliner in 2005 and thanks to misinformed people judging them on their image instead of their music, it's haunted them ever since.

Offline Vajra

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2011, 09:42:19 PM »
Hot Topic and anything they sell is a joke.
Uhm, what if you just want to go there to get a good Metallica or Iron Maiden shirt? I don't see how those shirts are "jokes" If you like a band, and the store sells shirts of them, I think thats awesome.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2011, 09:44:09 PM »
Shogun

YOU AREN'T WOLF!!!

lol.

But thanks. I think we see eye to eye on a lot of music things too.

Wolf and I are both massive Trivium fanboys. We both agree that Ascendency is their best album, with Shogun being their second best. Really, you couldn't go wrong starting with either one. Just don't start with The Crusade.

Perpetual Change, pretty much this mate.  I would say for a DT fan, actually start with Shogun then move onto Ascendency.  Shogun has more variety and some prog like elements, whereas Ascendency is more straight ahead metal with growls and screaming.

I can't believe where this coversation is going.  Trivium are just a great metal band touring with a world class prog metal band.  It's that simple, end of story.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2011, 09:52:39 PM »
Hey everyone look at this loser. I haven't listened to his music but he wears eyeliner so he must not be tr00 metal lol

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2011, 09:54:03 PM »
Hey everyone look at this loser. I haven't listened to his music but he wears eyeliner so he must not be tr00 metal lol

Best point-making post ever.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2011, 09:57:06 PM »
Bought Ascendancy for a buck on amazon. Can't wait to hear it!

Going with the Ozzy thing, here's as far as tight pants go:

Offline Frosthawk

• Striving for futility
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2011, 10:03:59 PM »
Damn it, I was hoping it'd be Skrillex!

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2011, 10:07:05 PM »
This, exactly. The 'scene' isn't over. Just look at warped tour.   :facepalm:

Offline Vajra

« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2011, 10:08:40 PM »
Bought Ascendancy for a buck on amazon. Can't wait to hear it!

Going with the Ozzy thing, here's as far as tight pants go:

I'm just going to come out and say it... Bruce has quite a package.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2011, 10:09:08 PM »

Best point-making post ever.
Criticizing an artist who hasn't made any good music in 30 years. Sarcastically no less...

I don't get it.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2011, 10:14:16 PM »
i can't work out whether you just missed my point or are trying to make one of your own, but as it is now 5.15am I'm going to drop it and go to bed.

Trivium rule  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2011, 10:15:06 PM »
i can't work out whether you just missed my point or are trying to make one of your own, but as it is now 5.15am I'm going to drop it and go to bed.
The middle one.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2011, 10:20:32 PM »

Offline lithium112

« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2011, 10:23:27 PM »
Stoked!!! Trivium is a great metal band. Very melodic. People doubting should go and check them out. As suggested earlier: Shogun is a good place to start.

Offline wammabe

« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2011, 10:23:45 PM »
I don't really care for trendy kids getting into DT, but I would REALLY like DTF to put up some new age limits and rules before this shit happens.  ;D

Plus, Jordan's wizard beard? Mangini's looks? JP's weightlifting? Jame's haircut? Its all starting to happen!! Next thing we know, the average DT fan will be 14 years old and James wont be a singer anymore, he'll be a super star!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2011, 10:26:10 PM »
And Myung will grow a beard! This tour must be stopped!!!

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2011, 10:30:26 PM »
This topic disappoints me, Trivium is fantastic. Can't wait to see if they come to Virginia.