Author Topic: Dream Theater to tour with Trivium  (Read 31104 times)

Offline j

Re: Dream Theater to tour with Trivium
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2011, 12:50:57 PM »
Come on boskalicious, that's not what he was sayin'.

-J

Offline perfectchaos180

« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2011, 12:53:42 PM »
I'm not saying I don't want Trivium's fans to like DT because they aren't cool enough (I agree that is a ridiculous argument). I am saying that Trivium fans would more likely enjoy the metal side of DT more, and would encourage DT to make albums like the last couple.

Offline jsem

« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2011, 01:28:36 PM »
From what I've heard of Trivium, they're pretty meh.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2011, 01:30:27 PM »
Just listened to Trivium for the first time (some of the songs on their YouTube page).  Down From The Sky was very good except for the screamy vocals.  Listened to a couple more (Shattering The Skies Above and Becoming The Dragon), and had the same reaction.  Definitely a lot of things I liked, but when they get to the screamy parts, it just kills it for me.  
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2011, 01:43:15 PM »
I hope it's just for a leg of the tour. It's not that I don't want to see Trivium (I'd rather not, but I wouldn't complain), but I really want "An evening with..."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2011, 01:43:24 PM »
I'm not saying I don't want Trivium's fans to like DT because they aren't cool enough (I agree that is a ridiculous argument). I am saying that Trivium fans would more likely enjoy the metal side of DT more, and would encourage DT to make albums like the last couple.

But others in the thread were saying that, and your post makes it sound like you were defending that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2011, 01:54:59 PM »
This thread makes me ashamed to even be a poster here.  DT books a tour with a TALENTED, awesome band like Trivium and you people bitch about it?  Seriously, some of you people need to get over yourselves. 

I'm, by no means, a Trivium "fan," but they ARE incredible musicians and, to top it off, they're FANS of DT and give them credit for being influences on their music!  What the hell is wrong with some of you people? 

Some of you obviously don't remember the 90's when most popular bands were making fun of DT.  I remember DT was a joke among all the grunge/ alternative bands and they'd publicly make fun of JP.  One guy (I think it was the guy from Sonic Youth.... terrible band) said that DT probably looks like a hair band with really tight jeans and plays with amps that light up when they play. 

Now, DT is given credit as being an influence on a younger band.  If you guys don't think that this is a good thing, then I'm sorry...... YOU'RE INSANE.   
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Blazinarps

« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2011, 03:17:38 PM »
I'm really upset about this. Not because I don't like Trivium (never heard a note of their music that I know of, nor do I care to ever hearthem), but because I would have loved an Evening With tour. I haven't seen them for 6 years, and now there's an opening band. I will be arriving late so as not to have a headache by the time DT comes on. (Again, nothing against Trivium, I would want to arrive late with almost ANY opening band I don't listen to).

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2011, 03:22:33 PM »
I am neutral. I wouldn't mind seeing Trivium (i dont like them. dont dislike them) but would love for someone who fits the bill a little better. But hey it could be worse.... it could be Nickleback.........
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #114 on: July 15, 2011, 03:24:44 PM »
I'm really upset about this. Not because I don't like Trivium (never heard a note of their music that I know of, nor do I care to ever hearthem), but because I would have loved an Evening With tour. I haven't seen them for 6 years, and now there's an opening band. I will be arriving late so as not to have a headache by the time DT comes on. (Again, nothing against Trivium, I would want to arrive late with almost ANY opening band I don't listen to).

Dude, there's nothing to be upset about.  They weren't going to be doing "evening with" shows anyway.

Offline jsem

« Reply #115 on: July 15, 2011, 03:27:39 PM »
I am neutral. I wouldn't mind seeing Trivium (i dont like them. dont dislike them) but would love for someone who fits the bill a little better. But hey it could be worse.... it could be Nickleback.........
If DT ever toured with Nickelback, it'd be the end of the world.

Offline ghostnotes

• Groove machine.
« Reply #116 on: July 15, 2011, 03:42:14 PM »
Checked out Trivium on Rhapsody...their best song is a Metallica cover. :lol

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
« Reply #117 on: July 15, 2011, 03:53:53 PM »
Not funny and total bs. Triviumnmade some damn goodcsongs if you dont like low screamsvthan youll never like them. But they are top notch musicians writing damn good METAL
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline M-boogie

« Reply #118 on: July 15, 2011, 04:25:38 PM »
Trivium is okay its just the screaming that kinda ruins it for me.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: July 15, 2011, 04:53:26 PM »
*rant*

Did it ever occur to you that some Dream Theater fans here might not be a fan of Trivium's style of metal?  Granted, they'll probably say stuff like "what a shitty band!" but that's just their (waitforit) OPINION!  And since its the Internet, they'll say stuff like that at liberty because they can.  So yeah, they'll bitch about it.  No surprise.

The other part of your rant was where I was really confused.  I didn't see anyone saying DT influencing younger bands is a bad thing.  Maybe you're the one who needs to get over yourself and get down from this high horse you're preaching on, hm? 

I mean, its not even anything like MP subbing for the Rev, when lots of fans were up in arms about MP doing something for such a "lowly" band, especially after the split. If THIS thread makes you ashamed to be a poster here all I can do is laugh.  :lol

No offense, but I could care less how the audience is reacting. I personally don't headbang or do anything at concerts besides air drum from time to time. I'm completely in awe of what is going on and enjoying the concert. I don't see why I need to be moving all the time at a concert to be enjoying myself.

I can understand that view.  But to say the fans atmosphere will be ruined when its a bunch of old dudes standing around looking captivated is just silly, IMO.  Younger fans might bring more energy, and, of course, help make the music live a bit longer.  And Lateralus is right, when you're the only person grooving or singing or air-bassing/drumming/guitaring its just kind of awkward.  Doesn't make me stop because fuck those guys if they judge me (Sciopath can attest to my hardcore folicking at Rush concerts regardless of the rest of the crowd), but it is kind of awkward.  :lol

Offline perfectchaos180

« Reply #120 on: July 15, 2011, 05:33:35 PM »
Actually I am going to show early only if they are playing the

BOAT

RUDDER

STRANGE

MOUNTAIN

song, hopefully they do

Offline IronEarthTheater

« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2011, 06:11:29 PM »
Listen to the Crusade.  Vocals sound like Hetfield circa Ride the Lightning IMO.  Liked this album a lot - virtually no screamy parts.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #122 on: July 15, 2011, 06:37:27 PM »
The clean vocals are what ruin it for me  :lol

Offline IronEarthTheater

« Reply #123 on: July 15, 2011, 06:56:12 PM »
The clean vocals are what ruin it for me  :lol

That's funny - I know other people who feel that way.  I just didn't expect to see it on this board.  :)  I totally get it, though.  Screams don't bother me, although I prefer clean vocals.  I haven't checked out their other stuff - if they are opening/teaming up with DT at a show I can see, I shall check out their other stuff.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #124 on: July 15, 2011, 06:58:15 PM »

I'm also really sorry about DT getting to their fifties. Damn age!
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: July 15, 2011, 07:16:10 PM »
One guy (I think it was the guy from Sonic Youth.... terrible band) said that DT probably ... plays with amps that light up when they play. 

That, hands down, is one of the best ideas I've ever read on this site.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #126 on: July 15, 2011, 09:31:59 PM »
I'm personally very excited by this news, and hope DT and Trivium come to Virginia/Maryland so I can see them. DT's my favorite band, and if Trivium isn't top 5, they're damn close.

I agree that the screaming is annoying, but most of The Crusade, much of Shogun, and parts of Ascendancy are still non-screamy enough that it's not a factor. And when you can get past the screamed parts, you're just left with an incredibly talented and interesting heavy metal band.

Although I must say, I hope Trivium doesn't go too overboard with the stuff from their new album--the three singles I've heard from it were pretty bad.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: July 15, 2011, 09:40:05 PM »
Actually I am going to show early only if they are playing the

BOAT

RUDDER

STRANGE

MOUNTAIN

song, hopefully they do

I can almost guarantee they will, unless they're seriously fudging with the setlist. Pull Harder is their signature song.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Frosthawk

• Striving for futility
« Reply #128 on: July 15, 2011, 09:44:39 PM »
In seriously, Trivium are not bad, and they're very talented to boot. They're not my first choice in terms of style, but I can get into almost anything given the chance. And it's not NEARLY as bad as when Dark Tranquillity toured with The Devil Wears Prada. That killed me on the inside a little.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: July 15, 2011, 09:58:33 PM »
I honestly don't care that much.  I figured it would be very unlikely that DT would tour with a band I love (they DID tour with the only band I like more than DT, IM last year) so I am just going to be happy to see DT.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #130 on: July 15, 2011, 10:00:40 PM »
In seriously, Trivium are not bad, and they're very talented to boot. They're not my first choice in terms of style, but I can get into almost anything given the chance. And it's not NEARLY as bad as when Dark Tranquillity toured with The Devil Wears Prada.  That killed me on the inside a little.

True dat  :millahhhh

Offline dongringo

« Reply #131 on: July 15, 2011, 10:08:26 PM »
it could be worse.... it could be Nickleback.........

This ^ Hears to looking at the bright side.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2011, 10:19:16 PM »
Question is... who plays first?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #133 on: July 16, 2011, 03:10:10 AM »
I hope they're coming alone on the European tour next year. I don't care much for metal aside from the progressive bands (Opeth last tour was ok), and watching for instance Trivium will do just as little for me as watching Madonna, who doesn't even play live. I like it when bands come alone, and I get to see the exact band that I'm a fan of. Bands I don't care for are just a waste of my time.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 03:21:25 AM by Dellers »
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #134 on: July 16, 2011, 03:28:25 AM »
I hope they're coming alone on the European tour next year. I don't care much for metal aside from the progressive bands (Opeth last tour was ok), and watching for instance Trivium will do just as little for me as watching Madonna, who doesn't even play live. I like it when bands come alone, and I get to see the exact band that I'm a fan of. Bands I don't care for are just a waste of my time.

How'd you feel if it was Queensryche coming along with DT?

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #135 on: July 16, 2011, 03:33:23 AM »
This thread makes me ashamed to even be a poster here.  DT books a tour with a TALENTED, awesome band like Trivium and you people bitch about it?  Seriously, some of you people need to get over yourselves. 

I'm, by no means, a Trivium "fan," but they ARE incredible musicians and, to top it off, they're FANS of DT and give them credit for being influences on their music!  What the hell is wrong with some of you people? 

Some of you obviously don't remember the 90's when most popular bands were making fun of DT.  I remember DT was a joke among all the grunge/ alternative bands and they'd publicly make fun of JP.  One guy (I think it was the guy from Sonic Youth.... terrible band) said that DT probably looks like a hair band with really tight jeans and plays with amps that light up when they play. 

Now, DT is given credit as being an influence on a younger band.  If you guys don't think that this is a good thing, then I'm sorry...... YOU'RE INSANE.   

It's the vocals. That's the issue with most people.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2011, 03:37:42 AM »

Well, you wouldn't back McCartney's best crooning with a kazoo and fart corps.  So, why do the vocal equivalent when you have strong instrumental arrangements?

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #137 on: July 16, 2011, 03:41:16 AM »

Well, you wouldn't back McCartney's best crooning with a kazoo and fart corps.  So, why do the vocal equivalent when you have strong instrumental arrangements?

I don't have an issue really i just don't like them as a band. YEah i can't get into the vocals but it's not the only reason i don't like them. I think for most people it's the vocals. Could be wrong but that seems to be said a lot on here. I would go see them if they played with DT, sure. Everyone deserves a chance. Except THESE GUYS...

https://blindmelons.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=band&action=display&thread=1335

BTW it was this and not Sonic Youth. Just found it.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #138 on: July 16, 2011, 03:47:16 AM »

I don't have an issue really i just don't like them as a band. YEah i can't get into the vocals but it's not the only reason i don't like them. I think for most people it's the vocals. Could be wrong but that seems to be said a lot on here. I would go see them if they played with DT, sure. Everyone deserves a chance. Except THESE GUYS...

https://blindmelons.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=band&action=display&thread=1335

BTW it was this and not Sonic Youth. Just found it.

I don't know who the Hell these Blind Melon guys are.  What genre are they?

Anyhow, I do say they have the right to exist.

Just keep them the hell away from me.

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #139 on: July 16, 2011, 04:18:37 AM »
<imo>Trivium?? Blegh... Horrid vocals, the same bland riffs and breakdowns as all the other NWOAHM bands. A Metallica cover band laden with blankets of sub-par generic American metalcore. Really, there's not a lot of bands I hate, but this is one of them. Here's to hoping that they don't tour with them in Europe.</imo>