Author Topic: Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Possible Spoilers)  (Read 30972 times)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Possible Spoilers)
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2011, 02:46:59 AM »
TJ, I want some of whatever you're smoking. :lol

lol i guess it's a bit much for something aimed towards kids but i can dream...

Also i tend to like when there is tragedy involved in stories like this. When the twin died i felt NOTHING such a minor character. My ending would have been tragic on many levels but at the same time rewarding because now you have another book series to overcome the evil that is harry potter!

Well all those faults are of the movies. Not that they were bad, but it was impossible to gain the same affection for so many characters in the time the movies had. Aside from the epilogue, the canon storyline is beautiful and perfect.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2011, 02:48:15 AM »
Dude, read the books.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2011, 03:04:38 AM »
My only disappointment was

[SPOILER]

I wanted Voldemort to get pwnt in front of everybody. Fuck, that would have been satisfying.

[/SPOILER]
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2011, 03:07:42 AM »
I agree 100%. No spectators was kind of boring.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Dynia

• Take care of your cardboard box and it'll take care of you.
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2011, 04:11:09 AM »
I watched the movie yesterday and I liked it. I didn't like some of the changes in plot in comparison to the book - mostly the final fight with Voldemort - it was so disappointing. But despite the poor ending, I really liked it, especially the part when the whole Hogwarts was preparing to battle, casting spells etc. The battle itself was great too.
Overally it was a fun movie. The best one in series.

Offline DejaVu

• "Don't be frightened of the shadows it creates"
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2011, 04:32:08 AM »
I was a huge fan of the series, but I found that it was becoming stale after Order of The Phoenix.

My verdict of this film was that it was OK. If anything I feel that the flashy effects exhausted the film from any kind of narrative and emotional connection, this was the main destroying factor to me. This is what I dislike about films trying to hit big with all the 3D special effects.

If you wanted to see a very pretty film, with plenty of action and bright sparkly colours, it's a great film! But for a finale of such a massive series it leaves a lot to be desired. I also found the ending rather lame and corny, but that's just my thoughts, best part of the film was Snape's scene (I'm sure you all know).

To conclude, a pleasent send-off for an epic series. Certainly not the best film, but far from the worst. If anything part 1 is a lot better.

6/10

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2011, 04:48:52 AM »
I didn't mind the post-battle scene.  I kinda like that the whole series ended not with a bang, but with a whimper.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2011, 08:44:41 AM »
I thought the fight between Harry and Voldemort was a complete anti-climax in the books as well as the film.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2011, 08:50:18 AM »
I didn't mind the post-battle scene.  I kinda like that the whole series ended not with a bang, but with a whimper.

I think the "whimper" ending works better when the whole movie/series is geared towards that (for example, The Wire) than when all movies are kind of bombastic and make heavy use of cliche twists and cliffhangers.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2011, 09:34:01 AM »
You know, I think Sauron should have thrown Frodo into the pit of Mount Doom. I never read the books, but I think that would be incredibly more badass. :P

Oh, and Gandalf should have turned evil and had anal sex with Frodo's mom. So much better.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2011, 09:59:44 AM »
Supposedly there is going to be one more book/movie. It's all about Harry now struggling to pay off all his student loans.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2011, 10:00:47 AM »
You know, I think Sauron should have thrown Frodo into the pit of Mount Doom. I never read the books, but I think that would be incredibly more badass. :P

Oh, and Gandalf should have turned evil and had anal sex with Frodo's mom. So much better.

Um... dude, those would be horrendous revisions and should never have been thought up, let alone suggested as changes to be made to the already good and dandy manuscript penned by J.R.R.  

Offline composure77

« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2011, 10:57:22 AM »
My only disappointment was

[SPOILER]

I wanted Voldemort to get pwnt in front of everybody. Fuck, that would have been satisfying.

[/SPOILER]

Spoiler alert!

he died in probably the worst way ever... he should have at least exploded  :'(

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2011, 10:59:50 AM »
Why is it that you guys want what wasn't there from the book? In the book, Harry casts a spell, Voldy casts a spell, they rebound off eachother and Voldy crumples to the floor. The movie did it in a more styalized manner.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2011, 11:53:18 AM »
I just decided I'm going to read the books since everyone says they're much better. I read the first three a while ago and wasn't terribly hooked, but these are the shortest so I guess the next ones will be richer and more engaging.

They are.  The fourth book is where they really started taking out a lot of material for the movies.  It doesn't make the movies bad per se, but the books have so much more depth.

Regarding the crappy aged look, I agree, they looked weird.  However, I'm glad they didn't opt for look-alike older actors.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2011, 12:00:33 PM »
In the books, do the spells shoot off laser beams and pellets?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2011, 12:15:36 PM »
If you mean the laser beam lightning things that connect, then yes. As for the pellets, I'm not sure.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2011, 01:08:41 PM »
Pellets?

And yeah, the whole connecting lightning thing only happened once or twice between Harry's and Voldemort's original wands; it's what caused Voldemort to first take Lucius Malfoy's wand and then seek the Elder Wand.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2011, 02:36:51 PM »
absolutely loved it.

spoiler?
and they brought back the John Williams themes especially the end  :biggrin:

thats what i wanted most

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2011, 06:05:38 PM »
just got out of the theater................

It.................could have been better.

7/10

And I'm a fan.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2011, 06:29:04 PM »
In my opinion, none of the HP movies have been amazing movies. They have great depictions of the events in the books, but they can't quite stand on their own as a great way to tell the HP story.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2011, 06:41:29 PM »
I thought Part One was quite excellent.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2011, 06:58:03 PM »
time for movie rankings

space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2011, 07:46:38 PM »

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2011, 07:53:12 PM »
Oh goody, I was hoping there would be a thread for this...I really want to talk about it but because I read so much and I'm a fan of sticking as true to the book as possible, my friends refuse to listen to me lol.

And from here on out, the post will be nothing but spoilers, so you might want to scroll quickly if you haven't seen the movie/read the book yet.

All in all, I absolutely LOVED it.  That scene where everyone is casting the protective charms was just stunning.  The music combined with the shield spreading over the castle gave me chills.  And the montage showing Snape's past was awesome (I just wish they had cast a girl as Lily with light eyes...that's the whole damn point of Harry having Lily's eyes).

I have very few gripes, but there were a few things that I wish they'd kept as they were in the book...primarily the final duel and the scene where Neville kills the snake.  Both of these take place in front of everyone...it's like...Neville's ultimate vindication.  And also to have Harry spell everything out to Voldemort...explaining everything about Snape, explaining why the elder wand didn't work, about having remorse and all of it.  I think it would have been much better if all of the extras had been there for it.  

I also wish that they had made a bigger deal out of Fred's death.  I wish they had shown it rather than have them just find him lying in the great hall.  That is one of the saddest parts of the book. 

I really liked that they had Harry destroy the elder wand, but I wish they had shown him repairing the phoenix feather wand first.  And I wish they would have shown him in Dumbledore's office, talking to Dumbledore's painting, and asking if it was wise that he didn't go looking for the resurrection stone since he dropped it.  And while we're on the topic of the resurrection stone, I'm SO glad that they did that scene right, with Harry's parents and Sirius and Lupin coming to him.  That part of the book has me bawling like a bitch every single time I read it and I was praying they would do it justice in the movie.  And they did.  I bawled like a bitch both times watching it in the theater.  (Yes, it's only Saturday and I've already been to see it twice haha).

I also really liked how they had Luna be the one to suggest that he had to talk to someone who wasn't living to find Ravenclaw's diadem.  And I liked how they had Harry be able to "hear" the horcurxes...I was really wondering how they were going to have him actually find the diadem since they didn't show him handling it in the 6th movie (which was one of my many complaints about the 6th movie).

All in all I think they did a fantastic job, and I'm very pleased with it.
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2011, 07:55:28 PM »
I've seen the movie twice. Don't worry. :lol

Offline Ħ

« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2011, 08:27:01 PM »

I only saw 5 once and didn't see 6, so...
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2011, 08:29:09 PM »
I'm with you. I still haven't seen 5 or 6 :lol
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline John94

« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2011, 01:06:03 PM »
It's up there with CoS and PS for me. I loved it. Fitting end to the series and I must say that the series is by far one of the best film series ever made.

I believe that this is not the last we have seen of Hogwarts and if JK ever wanted some money, she could either write another one or sell the franchise.

After watching it it reminded me how much I would love for all this to be real. That and it reminded me of my crush with Ginnie back in CoS. Which was by far my favourite.

Offline DejaVu

• "Don't be frightened of the shadows it creates"
« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2011, 01:13:35 PM »

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2011, 02:24:13 PM »
I was pretty happy with it. Still don't think we really needed two films but at least they took advantage by being as faithful as possible without being overstuffed. That said I do wish they had left a couple of climactic moments closer to the books (Neville's shining moment and the final Harry v. Voldemort confrontation) but they didn't hurt that much.

I believe that this is not the last we have seen of Hogwarts and if JK ever wanted some money, she could either write another one or sell the franchise.

Although I wouldn't mind a revisit since the world is interesting enough to sustain more stories. It'd have to really avoid any retread territory however (ie have nothing to do with the Potters or Weasleys, maybe even avoid Hogwarts).

Rankings!

7 (yes I'm counting as on movie)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2011, 02:39:13 PM »
She is planning on releasing a Harry Potter Encyclopedia. Everything you want to know that is both in and out of the books. For example, how to make a Horcrux.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2011, 02:42:28 PM »

Am I drinking too much?  WUT?!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2011, 02:47:52 PM »

Am I drinking too much?  WUT?!

/10 rating for each film I believe.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you