Author Topic: Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Possible Spoilers)  (Read 30973 times)

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
Re: Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 2
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2011, 01:12:54 PM »
My local theater is not big enough to support the massive droves of people who will be there at midnight. I'll just wait a few days; I'd rather not fight to the death for a seat, and I have no interest in getting there hours early like many people I know. I don't care THAT much. :lol I'll probably see it on Saturday or Sunday.

Considering that I know what theater you're talking about.  I'd do the same.   :lol

Or drive to Monroe. ;D
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Possible Spoilers)
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2011, 01:50:03 PM »
Haha, I momentarily forgot why you knew that much. I was like WTF STALKER

But yeah, turns out I'm seeing it in a few hours. Friends want to see it today. We may end up going to Monroe if this theater is too crowded.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2011, 03:13:57 PM »
3- Was I the only one that was underwhelmed by the ending? They've spent 7 movies and 10 years of their life chasing and trying to kill this guy who supposedly can go all Sauron on the whole world, and after they kill him all they can do is sit and chat and cut to 19 years after? WHAT THE FUCK

Completely agree.  The ending felt completely and totally anticlimactic.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2011, 03:15:58 PM »
Yea, the ending was done very poorly. I went with two friends who are Potter fanatics (whereas I am more of a casual fan, but still really enjoy the story) and before the film on line they were both saying that they'd be crying during the ending.

Needless to say we ended up laughing during the last 20 minutes of the film because of how awkward/campy/silly some of it was.

I mean, that Voldemort hug was just absolutely killer.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2011, 03:32:20 PM »
I'm also back and I'm satisfied. I was moved to tears a couple of times and I guess many others were as well. Considering how much they've skipped in previous films, I think that they tied everything up pretty nicely.

SPOILERS

Awesome battle, I felt so good when they cast up the protective spells. I would have loved to see a few more duels though.
Rickman and Maggie Smith were really convincing.
Helena Rawenclaw (Grey Lady) was gorgeous.
Liked the fact how Voldemort suffered and actually felt when the Horcruxes were destroyed even if it contradicts with the book.
Harry feeling the presence of Horcruxes is actually a nice way to cover up the holes.
Didn't like that Harry was made both more saint-like and not as intelligent as in the book. Would have loved to see CRUCIO!
A prolonged battle with Voldy was a good idea and it ended properly. Also nice how Harry was getting stronger and Voldy weaker as the battle went on.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2011, 03:52:03 PM »
I mean, that Voldemort hug was just absolutely killer.
Oh yeah! :lol

Pretty much everyone in the theater was laughing when that happened.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline theliloutkast

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2011, 04:04:36 PM »
I've read every book five times over but I haven't seen a film in theater's since the fifth. Every movie since the third has been horrid. The books will always be better than the movie's in my opinion. I waited in line for the midnight release of every book from the fourth on.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2011, 04:07:58 PM »

maybe spoiler

so does everyone think they fudged the ending? thats disappointing

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2011, 05:07:08 PM »
So I just came back from seeing it and I really didn't think it was as bad as everyone is saying.  Not saying I fell in love with it, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.  Just a few things:

1. Hehe Emma Watson cleavage shot in Gringotts

2. Did they really send Slytherins to the dungeon in the book?  I don't remember that at all, and it didn't sit well with me.

3. I wouldn't say the "19 years later" characters look odd so much as unconvincing.

4. The Harry-Ginny kiss seemed sorta unnecessary, especially given Ron and Hermione's moment maybe not five minutes before.

And this is not really related to the film itself, but every single preview shown before the movie looked like shit.  Especially that new movie with the werewolf guy from Twilight.  I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think he might be more wooden than Hayden Christensen.

Edit: Taylor Lautner, that's his name.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2011, 06:03:07 PM »

You mean when they were falling?!?!?! Dude, I KNOW!!!

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2011, 06:18:59 PM »

You mean when they were falling?!?!?! Dude, I KNOW!!!

as if i wasnt excited enough already...

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2011, 06:24:29 PM »
Anyways, it was by far the best film of the series, and it really is bittersweet. The cornerstone of my childhood ends with this movie, man. Shit sucks.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2011, 06:47:46 PM »
Narcissa Malfoy's a fox

Just sayin

Offline Nighthawkwill7

• Purveyor of All Things Laser-Guided
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2011, 07:15:36 PM »
Narcissa Malfoy's a fox

Just sayin

Indeed  :heart

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2011, 07:22:49 PM »
Eh, I don't really like the "older woman" look myself.

Also, does anyone know if in the book, the Slytherin students were sent to the dungeon?  I haven't read it since it came out and I don't have a copy to consult.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2011, 07:26:35 PM »
No, they were given the choice to fight with Hogwarts or join the Death Eaters, but we never got specifics as to where they did go

Offline Nighthawkwill7

• Purveyor of All Things Laser-Guided
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2011, 07:30:05 PM »
No, they were given the choice to fight with Hogwarts or join the Death Eaters, but we never got specifics as to where they did go

Weren't they evacuated through the Room of Requirement's tunnel to Hogsmeade?

I don't have the book handy but I think it is mentioned that they left alongside all the underage wizards.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2011, 07:48:01 PM »
All the underage wizards were evacuated, and it says they tried to ensure that the slytherins were at the head of the line out. I'm not sure if any mention is made of the adult slytherins though.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2011, 08:25:42 PM »
Wow that was REALLY disappointing. I was very excited for the ending cause i was expecting this grand battle and what i got was complete bullshit. There were many other problems i had that were already mentioned here...

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2011, 08:57:44 PM »
It was really good up until the bullshit ending. As someone else ITT already said, the ending of the movie defines "anticlimactic".

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2011, 09:39:13 PM »
When I read BS ending or LOL ending, are you saying that because of the movie epilogue and you've never read the book?  Or is the ending piss poor knowing the ending in the book.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2011, 09:52:32 PM »
I know the ending in the book only and I think it's awful. 

It's so...fanfiction-esque. 

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
Terrible epilogue aside the book wraps up well enough, so reports of anticlimactic doesn't sound good.

Hopefully I'll be able to catch it this weekend.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2011, 11:22:32 PM »
I don't mind the epilogue in the book, but it was fucking horrible in the movie. Beyond that, I liked the movie. It wasn't amazing, but there's really no way for the movie to capture how epic the end battle is in my head, and it would be unfair to expect it to.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2011, 12:21:08 AM »
Hehe Emma Watson cleavage shot in Gringotts
It was better when they all got out of the lake.

But the best part of the movie was the Snape death/memory section.  When he is weeping as holds Lily's dead body in his arms, rocking back and forth.....wow he is the best part of the whole series.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2011, 12:26:37 AM »
i think the ending in the book must be shitty as well if it's the same in the movie. I haven't read the books. I was hoping for a fantastic ending....

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2011, 12:43:58 AM »
But the best part of the movie was the Snape death/memory section.  When he is weeping as holds Lily's dead body in his arms, rocking back and forth.....wow he is the best part of the whole series.
I agree with this, Snape has always been my favorite character, and having never read the books, I found that to be the most powerful scene in the movie by far.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2011, 12:51:19 AM »
i think the ending in the book must be shitty as well if it's the same in the movie. I haven't read the books. I was hoping for a fantastic ending....

What do you mean by ending? Like, the epilogue, or the ending battle?

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2011, 01:01:23 AM »

Both. The ending battle was so anticlimactic. I mean we are waiting this whole time for Harry to Kill that asshole and when he finally disarms him he just disappears. Great. No finishing moves, no kill shot. And the battle was nothing. They just stood there until someone else did the work by killing the snake. That was an issue i had with the whole story as well. Harry hardly did anything it was always the other people doing shit. I want to see harry FUCK SHIT UP. I never got the sense the has very powerful until the DHp1. So i figured they would show it way more in this one. Nope.

Then the epilogue which looked kind of bad and there was no resolution or mention of the Draco M story. They spent so much screen time in the previous movies with Draco and in this one he just went away with his parents and that was the end. Then you see him 19 years later with nothing to say or do. Booooo

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2011, 01:07:48 AM »
The battle was quite a bit different in the book, and much better done IMO. The final fight was kinda sorta similar, but occurred entirely in the great hall amidst everyone else dualing, and with a 'kill shot', so to speak. Overall the battle was far more exciting in the book.

The epilogue was pretty much the same, though there was a lot more detail and more characters were touched on. And they didn't look all awkward and fake-old.

Not really sure what kind of closure you were expecting with Draco though.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2011, 01:13:15 AM »

Both. The ending battle was so anticlimactic. I mean we are waiting this whole time for Harry to Kill that asshole and when he finally disarms him he just disappears. Great. No finishing moves, no kill shot. And the battle was nothing. They just stood there until someone else did the work by killing the snake. That was an issue i had with the whole story as well. Harry hardly did anything it was always the other people doing shit. I want to see harry FUCK SHIT UP. I never got the sense the has very powerful until the DHp1. So i figured they would show it way more in this one. Nope.

Then the epilogue which looked kind of bad and there was no resolution or mention of the Draco M story. They spent so much screen time in the previous movies with Draco and in this one he just went away with his parents and that was the end. Then you see him 19 years later with nothing to say or do. Booooo

I agree with all of that. Overall, it feels like they've been giving too much importance to things that they ended shrugging off in the last 15 minutes of the movie: Draco, the Deathly Hallows' power when being united, the resurrection stone in particular...

About the epilogue, was it even necessary? I haven't read the book but in the movie it really doesn't provide any useful information other than "they were happy ever after" which is pretty much implied anyway.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2011, 01:31:09 AM »
My preffered ending would have been this...

Harry his a final battle that is so grandiose, so insane that he loses his soul in the process. By using all of his power he consumes Voldemort. And over time his soul turns dark and he turns into the very thing he fought against. He rules for centuries as the most powerful dark wizard in the world and jealous of Ron kills him so he can have hermione for himself. (I know the book is different but i think he should have been with her since the beginning. Fuck Ron.) She never truly loves him of course but he keeps her eternally young as he is through his magic. Then centuries later someone in his lineage is born and the story starts again. Harry Potter must be stopped. Boom another 7 books and it would be awesome. :metal

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2011, 02:12:59 AM »
TJ, I want some of whatever you're smoking. :lol

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2011, 02:22:02 AM »
I just decided I'm going to read the books since everyone says they're much better. I read the first three a while ago and wasn't terribly hooked, but these are the shortest so I guess the next ones will be richer and more engaging.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2011, 02:27:50 AM »
TJ, I want some of whatever you're smoking. :lol

lol i guess it's a bit much for something aimed towards kids but i can dream...

Also i tend to like when there is tragedy involved in stories like this. When the twin died i felt NOTHING such a minor character. My ending would have been tragic on many levels but at the same time rewarding because now you have another book series to overcome the evil that is harry potter!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 02:33:42 AM by tjanuranus »