Author Topic: Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Possible Spoilers)  (Read 30979 times)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Possible Spoilers)
« Reply #175 on: July 19, 2011, 05:36:41 PM »
Right. He had a hunch, but why did hey follow him in he first place? I just feel like Harry's preconceived notions about Draco over shadowed the actual evidence. It's not that big of a deal. And I'm not sure I have the qualifications to nit pick as I haven't read that book in a year.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: July 19, 2011, 06:52:29 PM »
I'm not a fan *but* - $550m worldwide in 4 days is pretty incredible  :omg:

I wonder - will it topple Avatar ( $2.8bn Worldwide )

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #177 on: July 19, 2011, 06:59:29 PM »
I just feel like Harry's preconceived notions about Draco over shadowed the actual evidence.

Of course they did, but I don't see why that's a problem. Harry isn't supposed to be a hyper-objective being, he's a human.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: July 19, 2011, 07:02:04 PM »
That's true.

On another topic, I wish Draco's character was more dynamic. He's just a coward that ends up being a coward.

The only real dynamic character I can think of is Neville. And he's awesome. 

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #179 on: July 19, 2011, 07:02:43 PM »
This was probably the best film in the entire series imo. It's really close with 3.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #180 on: July 19, 2011, 07:06:43 PM »
That's true.

On another topic, I wish Draco's character was more dynamic. He's just a coward that ends up being a coward.

Neville is definitely one of the more dynamic characters of the series. And then there's Snape, who doesn't change at all yet the reader's perception of him changes drastically.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: July 19, 2011, 07:09:49 PM »
That's true.

Neville is definitely one of the more dynamic characters of the series. And then there's Snape, who doesn't change at all yet the reader's perception of him changes drastically.

Snape is also among the best of them.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #182 on: July 19, 2011, 07:14:27 PM »
I would have to say that overall the last two films were my favorites.  Granted I haven't seen the first three in ages, but I thought the fourth was horrid (for reasons already stated) and the fifth and sixth were pretty good but not great.  Although the hunt for the horcrux at the end of the sixth film was kinda cool.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #183 on: July 19, 2011, 07:17:20 PM »
i wanna try to see this in theaters one more time. it definitely was an awesome movie to see on a big screen

Offline snowdog

« Reply #184 on: July 20, 2011, 08:01:44 AM »
And then there's Snape, who doesn't change at all yet the reader's perception of him changes drastically.
Well just before he dies he finally sees the resemblance to Lily in Harry.  Prior to that the only thing he saw was James.  But other than that yes.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #185 on: July 20, 2011, 08:03:34 AM »
yea the biggest problem i had with the movie was i didnt think they got the point across with snape well enough. after reading the book, i felt that snape was the most important character in the series. didnt get that with the film

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: July 20, 2011, 09:27:04 AM »
Oh God the epilogue scene...painful to read and even more painful to watch when the most they can do to show that these characters are 35 is to give them stubble! :facepalm:

Still, it was a pretty good conclusion to the film series.  Probably the best of them.  My friend was crying for the last 45 minutes of the movie.  Its worse to actually SEE your favorite characters die than to read about them, I guess.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2011, 09:34:34 AM »
Oh God the epilogue scene...painful to read and even more painful to watch when the most they can do to show that these characters are 35 is to give them stubble! :facepalm:

i thought the epilogue was 100x better in the movie. they dropped alot of the BS fanfiction stuff with teddy lupin etc.

so seeing the movie end with the trio watching the train and john williams playing, was more than just satisfying for me

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #188 on: July 20, 2011, 09:58:08 AM »
Watched the movie yesterday. Pretty awesome, but I think they could have done a better job making the kids look older at the end. Looks like all they did was give them some facial hair and Ron was slightly heavier, but none of them looked 19 years older... Not even 5 years older.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #189 on: July 20, 2011, 09:58:35 AM »
I would have to say that overall the last two films were my favorites.  Granted I haven't seen the first three in ages, but I thought the fourth was horrid (for reasons already stated) and the fifth and sixth were pretty good but not great.  Although the hunt for the horcrux at the end of the sixth film was kinda cool.

I see that opinion about Goblet (the movie) a lot, and I guess it's because I hadn't read the books yet at that point so when that one came out it was my favorite and probably still would be if I were to do a ranking.  Just feels like a complete action/adventure movie.  The world cup beginning is fun, each of the tourney challenges is a fun action piece and I dig the confrontation with Voldemort in the graveyard at the end- probably more so than the confrontation in the last movie.  I now realize that they left out a ton and changed a lot of stuff from the book so I can see why readers dislike that one, but as someone who got into the series through the movies and only checked out the books after the fact (I was 21 when the first movie came out and hadn't even heard of the books at that point) Goblet is a very fun movie, as are all of them.  

Offline Ħ

« Reply #190 on: July 20, 2011, 10:56:01 AM »
That's true.

Lots of the characters are dynamic.  Pretty much all the children, anyway.  It's the reason why Harry Potter is so great, in my opinion.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #191 on: July 20, 2011, 10:59:36 AM »
I feel like I've seen the kid who plays Harry's son somewhere before.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: July 20, 2011, 11:08:57 AM »
And then there's Snape, who doesn't change at all yet the reader's perception of him changes drastically.
Well just before he dies he finally sees the resemblance to Lily in Harry.  Prior to that the only thing he saw was James.  But other than that yes.

Snape always knew Harry had Lily's eyes. That's why Snape's last words were "look at me." In the movie, they just added the "You have your mother's eyes," to drive the point home. Snape wanted to see Lily's eyes as he died.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #193 on: July 20, 2011, 11:17:53 AM »
How is Draco not dynamic? He risked his and his family's life to help protect Harry. He was asked if the person they captured was Harry and he was told they'd be killed if they presented the wrong guy and he wouldn't sell him out.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: July 20, 2011, 11:24:54 AM »
Then he still tried to stop Harry from getting diedam. I think it was just cowardice through and through.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #195 on: July 20, 2011, 12:40:56 PM »

i thought the epilogue was 100x better in the movie. they dropped alot of the BS fanfiction stuff with teddy lupin etc.

Yeah the epilogue wasn't as bad as reading it for me. Still cheesy and yeah the cgi aging doesn't look great but I could live with it.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #196 on: July 20, 2011, 12:47:11 PM »
Well just before he dies he finally sees the resemblance to Lily in Harry.  Prior to that the only thing he saw was James.  But other than that yes.
Snape always knew Harry had Lily's eyes. That's why Snape's last words were "look at me." In the movie, they just added the "You have your mother's eyes," to drive the point home. Snape wanted to see Lily's eyes as he died.
Snape doesn't have any last words in the book.  But Snape knew Harry had Lily's eyes when Dumbledore told him a long while back.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: July 20, 2011, 01:06:43 PM »

I hope so.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #198 on: July 20, 2011, 02:05:07 PM »
Well just before he dies he finally sees the resemblance to Lily in Harry.  Prior to that the only thing he saw was James.  But other than that yes.
Snape doesn't have any last words in the book.  But Snape knew Harry had Lily's eyes when Dumbledore told him a long while back.

I'm pretty sure his last words in the book are "Look at me".  I just got the impression from the book that he never could see Harry having his mothers eyes until the end, despite what others might have said to him. 

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #199 on: July 20, 2011, 03:27:23 PM »
snowdog is right; "Look at me" were indeed Snape's last words, and I also think that his point about what Snape sees in Harry and the change about this is a pretty good one.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #200 on: July 20, 2011, 10:38:42 PM »
Just saw the movie. My biggest disappointment...

Voldemort doesn't scream "NYEAAAAAAAAAH!" in the whole movie. I was waiting for it for 2 damn hours, I tell you.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #201 on: July 21, 2011, 12:54:07 AM »
Voldemort doesn't scream "NYEAAAAAAAAAH!" in the whole movie. I was waiting for it for 2 damn hours, I tell you.
:rollin
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #202 on: July 21, 2011, 10:41:18 AM »

I hope so.

It better. Avatar was a terrible movie

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #203 on: July 21, 2011, 11:06:59 AM »

I hope so.

It better. Avatar was a terrible movie

i agree. in fact i agree twice, because it is not said enough

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: July 21, 2011, 08:52:54 PM »
https://www.pottermore.com
Apparently, you'll be able to get the e-book versions of the Harry Potter series through this site when it launches.

Having a hard time parting ways with a certain plucky, lightning-scarred orphan? J.K. Rowling feels your pain (as she counts her money) and has teamed up with Google to help you fall in love with the world of Hogwarts all over again -- e-book style. The voluminous tomes will be making their exclusive electronic debut through Google's eBooks platform as part of the Sony-backed Pottermore site launching this October. El Goog's open format plays nicely with "more than 80 ereaders" -- we're looking at you iRiver Story HD -- and can also be downloaded in app form for iOS and Android smartphones. But the integration doesn't end there -- under terms of the agreement, Google Checkout "will be the preferred third party payment platform" for all the site's Harry Potter knick knacks your credit limit will allow. It's ok, you don't have to let go of the dream just yet. There's still a little wizard inside us all.

https://www.engadget.com/

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #205 on: July 21, 2011, 09:43:15 PM »
Oh awesome, the versions I have all have lots of spelling and formatting errors.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #206 on: July 22, 2011, 07:17:27 AM »
saw it again last night. snape's pensieve part was better the second time around. and i really enjoy the epilogue, better than the book, although draco looks awful  :lol. but as i said before seeing the trio not looking ridiculously old, watching the train with 'leaving hogwarts' playing by john williams is a fitting end. for me at least

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #207 on: July 22, 2011, 07:31:37 AM »
Yeah I have to say the Snape pensieve scene sat much better with me the second time around.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #208 on: July 22, 2011, 09:43:28 AM »
I thought the Snape pensieve scene was awesome, and I only saw the movie once last weekend.  One of the best parts of the movie, if not the whole series.  And of course once we get to the scene of him holding dead Lily all distraught and rocking her it's like "cough, what? No I'm cool I've just got something in my eye, pass the popcorn ya?"  Also, in the movies they don't do a real good job of making James seem like a likable guy, other than the scenes of his adult ghost self saying stuff to Harry.  It's like "cool Lily, ditch sensitive social misfit Severus for douchey frat guy James Potter why don't you.  Typical chick."  If Severus was a DTF poster he'd be like the leader of the Lonely Hearts Club.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #209 on: July 22, 2011, 09:56:13 AM »
i liked the pensieve part the first time, i just thought it went by way too quick. i wanted more

but it was great, alan rickman is awesome. if they had snape pick up harry out of the house i wouldve lost it.