Author Topic: Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Possible Spoilers)  (Read 30977 times)

Offline Mr. Beale

Re: Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Possible Spoilers)
« Reply #140 on: July 17, 2011, 09:59:57 PM »
Yeah I figured it was something on the actor's end, but still, :rollin

Offline Dynia

• Take care of your cardboard box and it'll take care of you.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #142 on: July 18, 2011, 05:50:01 AM »
My only disappointment was

[SPOILER]

I wanted Voldemort to get pwnt in front of everybody. Fuck, that would have been satisfying.

[/SPOILER]

This was exactly the way I felt.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #143 on: July 18, 2011, 06:55:16 AM »
 :omg:  $168.8 mil in 3 days :omg: in America.  Worldwide $476 mil :omg:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: July 18, 2011, 10:39:30 AM »
That doesn't really surprise me. We have it showing in about six screens and every screen is either sold out or next to sold out all day. Which is insane considering Aberdeen is quite a small city.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #145 on: July 18, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »

Wow. Didn't think it would be breaking records. I guess WB is happy they got two films out of it.

On a somewhat related note, was anyone else horrified to see the Breaking Dawn PART 1 trailer?

:censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored

>:(

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #146 on: July 18, 2011, 02:44:17 PM »
And that is?
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: July 18, 2011, 02:52:17 PM »

Wow. Didn't think it would be breaking records.

Uhm. Why? It's the final film in an epic series of a massive worldwide phenomenon where everything for the past 15 years or so has led up to this point. What the hell made you think it wouldn't break records?
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #148 on: July 18, 2011, 03:18:36 PM »
Actually it's ten years, at least if you're counting the movies.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #149 on: July 18, 2011, 03:35:02 PM »
So hey I caught Deathly Hallows pt. 2 this weekend, it was pretty sweet and works well as the epic finale to an epic series.  Books are always gonna be better, so it's hard to compare the two, and I understand changing things to work better on screen vs. on the page, but like many have already mentioned I'm scratching my head at some of the changes they made to the final fight. (SPOILERS AHEAD OF COURSE)  I thought the way a lot of it went down in the book would have worked better on screen than what they ended up doing. I think it would have been way cooler to have kept it so once the fighting starts up again after they bring Harry's body back to Hogwart's that he would slip away under his invisibility cloak and throw out some spells here and there on the downlow, then dramatically reveal himself to Voldy and everyone by throwing off the cloak at the climactic moment.  And yes the final showdown should have taken place in front of everyone so they could all raise a cheer or something after Voldy dies. 

Also, I didn't really understand what the final blow was all about in the movie.  Harry and Voldy had their little spell-lock thing going on again then after Neville kills Nagini it was like all of a sudden Voldy just lost his handle on the Elder Wand and then disintegrated.  Maybe I missed something, but that's another thing I would have kept the way it was in the book.  The best part of the whole final sequence in the movie was Neville swinging for the fences in slow-mo for his kill shot on Nagini.  Anyway, not really complaining, more just curious as to why some of these changes were made.  All in all it was a very enjoyable film, and I'm a sensitive man so it definitely got a bit dusty in the theater a few times.  My final stance on HP is that it's a great series, one of my all time favorites.  The movies are a lot of fun and the books are even better.

Offline Millais

« Reply #150 on: July 18, 2011, 03:41:17 PM »
here's my opinion on it.

twas a bit disappointing. that would be if you’ve read the book. the gringotts escape was changed, bits were missed out. much of the fighting was completely different to what i was expecting, most notably the final battle between voldemort and harry which was meant to take place in the grand hall.. (and voldemort does not die by harry overpowering him, his curse rebounds off the wall).

meh.

Minus

-story changed in places. i mean what was all the harry & voldemort “ending it together” by jumping off the edge of the wall all about?!
    -in places, too much CGI. doesn’t happen very often and is rare, though.
    -there is no flow in the battle between students/death eaters whatever, in fact, it’s hardly shown whatsoever.
    -some of it just felt like there wasn’t enough emotion and therefore, dare i say it.. slightly anti-climatic? (Hermione and Ron in the Chamber of Secrets could have had more made of it).
    -The last scene and the scene where Harry is with Dumbledore (in the book between reality and death) is just CHEESE.
    -perhaps it just doesn’t live up to my expectations after reading the book.

Positive

-Alan Rickman’s portrayal of Snape is incredible, perhaps the highlight of the movie.
    -As with the first part of the  Deathly Hallows, the scenary and landscapes that the photographers have captured are beautiful. amazing, yet subtle tones.
    -A fitting end to the films and Rowling’s story.
    -Matthew Lewis and Ralph Fiennes do great jobs in their roles.
    -The CGI was fantastic, particulary the globe/earth effect around Hogwarts.
    -It got an applause at the end of the showing, but i suppose as the majority of the audience were hormonal teenage girls that doesn’t really make it a viable positive point? Well no, of course not, it was well deserved :D clichéd, but an end to an era.

well that’s the first thing (and probably last thing) i’ve ever written about any film.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #151 on: July 18, 2011, 03:44:46 PM »
Personally I thought the kiss in the book was even worse than in the film, so imo it was actually enjoyable rather than having Harry butt in.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #152 on: July 18, 2011, 04:10:19 PM »
I still don't understand the 'it wasn't like the book' crititcism. A. It's not possible to have the depth of a book in a movie B. This wasn't the first HP movie to have things left out. Expecting a movie to be just like the book is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #153 on: July 18, 2011, 04:14:11 PM »
I don't think it's the fact that some things aren't in the movie (time limit), more like some scenes in the movie being very altered from what happens in the book, without any real reason for a total makeover. :P

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #154 on: July 18, 2011, 04:15:03 PM »
I still don't understand the 'it wasn't like the book' crititcism. A. It's not possible to have the depth of a book in a movie B. This wasn't the first HP movie to have things left out. Expecting a movie to be just like the book is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I'm totally with you here and agree completely.  That said, my confusion was with the things they changed from the book that would have worked wonderfully if not better in the movie.  No issue with anything they left out, that's standard book to movie adaptation stuff.  And again, I'm not mad or disappointed about any of it, more just like  :huh:

Edit: What Zantera said.

Offline John94

« Reply #155 on: July 18, 2011, 04:21:39 PM »
Alan Rickman is by far one of the greatest actors out there.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: July 18, 2011, 08:47:06 PM »
In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, Blaise will be present in the fight in the Room of Requirement, in exchange of Vincent Crabbe, whose actor was sentenced to 120 hours of community services.

Fucking lol
OH! I remember reading that. So that's why. LOL

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: July 18, 2011, 08:56:57 PM »
Considering that to me the 7th Book was extremely dull and weak, and the second worst after the ZzzzZZ of the Phoenix, I'm really happy these two movies turned out so well.

What I will never forgive is that 6th movie; they ruined the best book BIG TIME.

Ranking of the movies:
7th Pt. 2
Azkaban
7th Pt. 1
Phoenix
Goblet
Philosopher's
Chamber
H-B P

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #158 on: July 18, 2011, 09:09:32 PM »
Just watched it now. It feels weird. I guess I feel happy to have read all the books and then watched them all on the theater. I can say I've experienced this worldwide phenomena that probably won't happen again for a while (if it happens again at all). But damn, I wish there was more...
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #159 on: July 18, 2011, 09:13:20 PM »
All I can say is, as a writer, I hope to one day achieve with the pen the amazing chemistry I experienced between the three leads on film.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: July 18, 2011, 10:35:19 PM »
ZzzzZZ of the Phoenix

Wow, is that an uncommon opinion.

And I just finally saw the movie. It was good over all--about what I expected.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: July 18, 2011, 11:07:47 PM »
^^I'm talking about the book^^

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: July 19, 2011, 08:22:25 AM »

I know. Everyone I know says 5 is the best and 6 is pretty low on the list.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #163 on: July 19, 2011, 10:33:03 AM »
Movie ranking:
Azkaban
Deathly Hallows Pt. 2
Phoenix
Half-Blood Prince
Goblet
DH 1
Stone
Chamber

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #164 on: July 19, 2011, 10:41:58 AM »
the whole "don't be annoyed by the stuff left out that happens all the time in books-to-movies" argument doesn't apply.

And here's why.

IF

You're going to take a final chapter of a series...the VERY FINAL BOOK.......AND.....split it into TWO!!!!! movies.

Get it fucking right.
Seriously.
2 hours and 10 minutes???? PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT add nother 20, hell make it 3 hours and put it all in there.

This didn't happen with Lord of the Rings.
Sure, stuff got left out.
But not enough to really bother people.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline ehra

« Reply #165 on: July 19, 2011, 11:28:33 AM »
BALROGS DON'T HAVE WINGS, RABBLERABBLERABBLE.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #166 on: July 19, 2011, 11:30:17 AM »
NO TOM BOMBADIL WTF

:dangerwillrobinson: :dangerwillrobinson: :dangerwillrobinson:

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #167 on: July 19, 2011, 11:36:00 AM »
I missed Tom too.

According to my Official LOTR Encyclopedia....some Ballrogs do have wings. The Canadian ones all had wings.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #168 on: July 19, 2011, 12:37:07 PM »
Everyone I know says 5 is the best and 6 is pretty low on the list.

Really? Can't say I've heard that one too much. Easily the most problematic for me.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #169 on: July 19, 2011, 02:30:22 PM »
So... I watched the film with some friends tonight. A good way to end this whole thing, but the two final scenes were a bit ridiculous (well, the epilogue wasn't good to begin with).

Still, a very enjoyable film. I definitely don't think that I wasted the money.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #170 on: July 19, 2011, 02:35:08 PM »
I don't think it's the fact that some things aren't in the movie (time limit), more like some scenes in the movie being very altered from what happens in the book, without any real reason for a total makeover. :P
I think that is really the biggest problem I have with the changes.  And a perfect example is the place where Snape dies.  In the book it was the Shrieking Shack.  In the movie it was where the boats were docked.  Is it a big deal it was changed?  No.  But that is just it, why the hell did the location change?  It served no purpose to put it there.

Overall the things I had the most problems with were: The location of Harry defeating Voldemort, the omissions in Snape's memories, and how they handled Dumbledore's past.

So as for the location of the final battle, I agree with others who say that the book did it right with it being in front of everyone.  He was able to reveal to everyone - Death Eater or not - the source of Voldemort's immortality.  And he was able to explain to them the how the horcruxes were all gone.  Everyone knew at that point that Voldemort was gone for good.  I did know this was going to be changed from watching the previews and reading interviews ahead of time, so I wasn't as disappointed when I saw the film.

Snape's memories...  The relationship with Lilly really isn't explained too well.  And it doesn't go into detail about WHY she ends her friendship with Snape and why she chooses James.

Dumbeldore's past.  I'm mostly OK that they omitted this as it wasn't too relevant to the story.  However, they reveal small pieces in the movie and do not wrap up or explain them at all.  The subject of his Sister was brought up with Aberforth but never went into the detail of explaining what happened.  I thought for sure when I saw the 6th movie and heard Dumbledore's dialog in the cave that they were setting it up to explain what happened with his sister.  Although the death of his sister very heavily involved Grindelwald who they did not really talk about at all. I just wish they had handled this a little better.  On the plus side they didn't alter his past and make things worse.

Overall it was a very enjoyable movie.  I'm sure I'll enjoy watching it for years to come and enjoy rereading the books even more.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: July 19, 2011, 02:36:05 PM »

I know. Everyone I know says 5 is the best and 6 is pretty low on the list.
Meet new people :p

Offline snowdog

« Reply #172 on: July 19, 2011, 02:37:02 PM »
Everyone I know says 5 is the best and 6 is pretty low on the list.

Really? Can't say I've heard that one too much. Easily the most problematic for me.
Yeah most of the people who I talk to hate the 5th book.  I actually like it a lot.  Especially the exposition with Dumbledore at the end.  The 6th book is probably my favorite of the series.  And for the record I don't really have a problem with the Epilogue.  :P

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2011, 04:23:16 PM »
Ha. Maybe the opinion of all my friends is the uncommon one. I don't know exactly why the 5th is the best, but I know we dislike the 6th because there was too much angsty romance. And the fact that Harry was suspecting Draco the whole time with no evidence and ended up being right in the end was just kind of annoying. Still a good book though; it's not my least favorite.

And the epilogue in the movie was better than in the book. I thought of it this way, for every line of dialogue from the book they don't say, it's a +1 to the movie scene.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2011, 04:25:39 PM »
Not to be a nitpicky douche, but he had a reason to suspect Malfoy. Remember what happened when they followed him into Nocturn Alley?