Author Topic: Derek Sherinian Thread: Where's the new DS or Planet X album???  (Read 19290 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Derek Sherinian's new album "Oceana" - available to stream [merged]
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2013, 11:05:41 AM »
Oceana is amazing. I just listened to it for the first time today and I was blown away by how technical and solo-oriented it was, while still maintaining a hell of a groove in most of the tracks.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline darkshade

Re: Derek Sherinian Thread: Where's the new DS or Planet X album???
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2019, 08:47:53 AM »
Figured I'd bump this instead of creating a new thread, as I wanted to express my love for Oceana, I think it's Derek's best album between the solo albums and Planet X. Such a great mix of jazz-rock with that Jeff Beck vibe mixed with Eric Johnson, wrapped up in that unmistakable Sherinian sound.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2019, 04:45:07 PM »
I really like Derek's solo albums. I like how he brings in guests to play spots on songs. He gets the right people to play the right parts for specific songs. It's pretty cool.

I tend to like his solo records better than Planet X. I think his solo records are more musical. Planet X albums are more technical. I wouldn't want both projects to sound the same because if they did then what's the point?

I'd bet on seeing another solo record before anything Planet X. Virgil has Icefish going and Tony is doing his own thing and touring for much of the year. Glad Tony seems healthy.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2020, 07:40:29 AM »
New DS album coming!

World acclaimed keyboardist Derek Sherinian Official, (Sons of Apollo, Black Country Communion), one of the most significant keyboard players of the modern era, has signed to InsideOutMusic for the release of his new solo album ‘The Phoenix’ on the 18th September 2020, his first since 2011’s ‘Oceana’. Derek comments: "I truly feel that this is my best solo record to date. Simon and I put a lot of energy into the writing, and I am grateful to all of the great players that contributed to this recording."

Once again, Sherinian has teamed up with drummer extraordinaire Simon Philipps, who not only plays drums but also co-produced and co-wrote the album: “It is always an amazing experience to be able to work with Simon. He's been a hero of mine for ages, ever since I heard him playing on albums with Jeff Beck and Michael Schenker.  And he is such an invaluable part of the way this new record has come out.”

There are a number of top line guests featured on ‘The Phoenix’, as has been the case in the past for Sherinian, on both guitar and bass. Some have become regular contributors to his solo sessions. People such as bassists Tony Franklin (“He's been on all my albums to date”), Jimmy Johnson and Billy Sheehan (Sherinian's bandmate in Sons Of Apollo). Plus guitarists Joe Bonamassa and Zakk Wylde. In addition, others are welcomed into the fold for the first time. For instance, there's master guitarist Steve Vai. “Steve Vai has always been on my hit list. But it was when I played keyboards on the Generation Axe tour of Asia in 2017 that I asked him to play on my record, which he gladly accepted” Also present are Sons Of Apollo bandmate Ron 'Bumblefoot' Thal (Sons Of Apollo) and Kiko Loureiro (Megadeth).
“Kiko and I have known one another for about 20 years. But this is the first time I've had the opportunity to play with him.”

The album features 8 tracks, including a cover of Buddy Miles ‘Them Changes’, and will be released as a Limited Edition Digipak CD, LP + CD & as Digital Album. Find the full track-listing below:

1. The Phoenix
2. Empyrean Sky
3. Clouds of Ganymede
4. Dragonfly
5. Temple of Helios
6. Them Changes
7. Octopus Pedigree
8. Pesadelo

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2020, 09:13:12 AM »
 :metal :metal

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2020, 11:24:22 AM »
While I am genuinely excited and tend to really like all of his solo albums, that has to be his worst album cover to date. Man, what happened? Did he blow the budget on a new sequin jacket?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2020, 12:52:49 PM »
Now MP needs to release a solo album titled "The Lion", or something Lion related.

Then the next SoA album will be a meta concept merging the two into one called "The Phoenix and The Lion Pride". A neat ode to Rush "By-Tor and The Snowdog."

Seriously, I'll check this out, he does some good metal with Zakk Wylde and I'm interested in what he can do with Vai.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2020, 01:37:53 PM »
While I am genuinely excited and tend to really like all of his solo albums, that has to be his worst album cover to date.
That's immediately what I thought, too.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2020, 10:41:13 PM »
Yeah, compared to the album covers he had in the 00s, that is really, really boring.

I'm still glad he's putting out another one, though. Hard ton believe the last one was all the way back in 2011.

I will forever remember "A View From the Sky" from Mythology bringing me out of a bad trip experience.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline HOF

« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2020, 10:49:37 PM »
I like the cover. It seems like a throwback to the 70s when a lot of bands/artists just had a band photo on the cover. I kind of appreciate something minimal for a solo album like this.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2020, 10:51:40 PM »
I like it too, for the same reasons.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2020, 01:20:01 PM »
Sounds like there could be some fusion on this.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2020, 07:33:05 AM »
Today sees the launch of the album’s first single, Empyrean Sky, which features Sherinian and drummer Simon Phillips joined by Ron ‘Bumblefoot’ Thal on guitar, Jimmy Johnson on bass and Armen Ra on theremin. Listen to the track now here: https://youtu.be/twHB7YVEXgw

Offline HOF

« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2020, 08:12:23 AM »
Pretty tasty.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2020, 08:49:14 AM »
I liked it.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2020, 08:50:54 AM »
I bet if nobody had been told what this was we all could have accurately guessed it was Derek Sherinian. He has a pretty distinct style for his solo albums.

I dig it though and will definitely be picking this up.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2020, 09:50:36 AM »
Great new track!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2020, 01:23:46 PM »
Great new track!

Your opinion is not valid. You are a sucker of all DS projects LOL

Kidding my friend, Track is indeed great.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2020, 01:29:51 PM »
Great new track!

Your opinion is not valid. You are a sucker of all DS projects LOL

Kidding my friend, Track is indeed great.

I am definitely a sucker for whatever Derek plays, but man, this track is amazing! I also heard a snippet of a track where Joe Bonamassa plays and sings, and it kicks ass!!!!

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2020, 03:41:55 PM »
I don't like Derek, but I really like his solo albums.

Very cool song.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2020, 03:14:26 PM »
I like the song. I like his solo stuff much better than SOA.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2020, 05:56:10 PM »
Got the new album, and it KICKS ASS!!!!! On some of the tracks, you can feel the testosterone overflowing on the speakers...freaking amazing!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2020, 02:46:33 PM »
Got the new album, and it KICKS IS AN ASS!!!!! On some mostof the tracks, you can feel the testosterone overflowing on the speakers the boredom...freaking amazing boring!!!

Fixed

NOTE We are clearly not listenignto the same album. I was like when is this thing going to finish? The only track I liked it's the one with Bonamassa, the rest I was ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2020, 03:53:10 PM »
Got the new album, and it KICKS IS AN ASS!!!!! On some mostof the tracks, you can feel the testosterone overflowing on the speakers the boredom...freaking amazing boring!!!

Fixed

NOTE We are clearly not listenignto the same album. I was like when is this thing going to finish? The only track I liked it's the one with Bonamassa, the rest I was ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:omg: :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2020, 04:01:56 PM »

Fixed

He's mile bette than Neal Morse and HAken combined...actually the only thing Neil is better at, is putting together the most amazing DVD bonus material. The one on the Great Adventure is amazing, and it has excerpts of an awesome interview he did in Toronto.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2020, 06:09:53 PM »

Fixed

He's mile bette than Neal Morse and HAken combined...actually the only thing Neil is better at, is putting together the most amazing DVD bonus material. The one on the Great Adventure is amazing, and it has excerpts of an awesome interview he did in Toronto.

This is not a school trash talking war man, I love NM and Haken and DS on BCC but seriously, the new album is boring as fock
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 08:03:01 PM by MinistroRaven »

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2020, 07:14:21 PM »
Riiiiight

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2020, 10:32:56 AM »
I have not heard the new album but I have heard Neal Morse and Haken.  I'm gonna take Rodrigo's word on this.  :biggrin:

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2020, 01:47:30 PM »
I have not heard the new album but I have heard Neal Morse and Haken.  I'm gonna take Rodrigo's word on this.  :biggrin:

Don't say I don't warned you

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2020, 08:43:58 PM »

Fixed

He's mile bette than Neal Morse and HAken combined...

You're officially a troll :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2020, 11:13:10 AM »

Fixed

He's mile bette than Neal Morse and HAken combined...

You're officially a troll :biggrin:

OF COURSE HE IS!!!

:lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2020, 09:18:29 AM »
I did my FOURTH interview with Derek last week, to talk about his new album, The Phoenix: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/derek-sherinian-interview/

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2020, 09:26:22 AM »
I did my FOURTH interview with Derek last week, to talk about his new album, The Phoenix: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/derek-sherinian-interview/

Argh! Can't listen to it at work. Any chance for transcribing the interview?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2020, 09:31:38 AM »

Argh! Can't listen to it at work. Any chance for transcribing the interview?

Not this one, man...we only transcribe when the audio doesn't come out alright, or when the artist asks us to do it before the interview is scheduled.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2020, 09:39:37 AM »
this one is actually one I'm inclined to check out, seeing as Simon Phillips plays on it. And strangely enough (or not strangely enough, depending on your expertise Rodrigo) I personally like his solo work (and what he did with Alice Cooper as well) A LOT more than his work with DT or Sons Of Apollo. Don't know why though. (that doesn't mean to say he is among my favourite keyboardists though)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"