Author Topic: Kids are banned  (Read 7520 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Kids are banned
« on: July 12, 2011, 04:24:50 PM »
I've also heard about some airlines maybe wanting to do something like this.  I think it's brilliant and long overdue.  They should think about doing this in movie theaters too.  People don't seem to realize that noise is a pollutant.  If people don't want 2nd hand smoke in their establishments, then it's perfectly logical that they don't want to hear screaming kids either.

Your thoughts?

https://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/restaurant-bans-kids-under-6-discrimination-or-smart-move-2509487/
At McDain's Restaurant, in Monroeville, Pennsylvania, kids don't eat free. And starting next week, they don't get to eat at all.   Mike Vuick, owner of the Pittsburgh area eatery has just announced a ban on children under 6 at his casual dining establishment.

After receiving noise complaints from customers about crying kids at neighboring tables, Vuick decided to institute the policy, which will go into effect July 16.

In an email to customers, Vuick explained: "We feel that McDain's is not a place for young children. Their volume can't be controlled and many, many times, they have disturbed other customers."

The owner of the "upscale, casual and quiet" restaurant explains to WTAE Local News, he's got nothing against kids in general, but their endless screams at public dinner tables are "the height of being impolite and selfish."

Last year, North Carolina's Olde Salty restaurant made a similar decision. Owner Brenda Armes posted a sign that read "Screaming children will not be tolerated", making it clear to parents when their kids scream, they'll be asked to take it outside. Armes said the move has boosted business, and Vuick is confident his ban will benefit McDain's as well.

But not everyone is on board. Some Monroeville locals are offended that they're being singled out for having young kids, and pointing fingers at noisy adults.

"If they're so concerned about noise, what do they plan to do about the loud people at the bar?" asks one local resident.

It's not illegal to ban kids from eating establishments, but some parents consider the move discriminatory, and potentially a violation of rights for certain special needs kids. What do you think: are kid-free restaurants a great idea or flat-out wrong?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Kids are banned
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 04:26:53 PM »
I like it.  Anyone who doesn't like it doesn't have to eat there.

Also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUIA4J5Frjo

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 04:32:31 PM »
 :lol  Good one.  I like it.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 04:45:13 PM »
I approve of this. I was at a really nice steakhouse with my parents for my birthday and I could barely enjoy half of it because of an infant screaming throughout parts of the meal.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 04:54:30 PM »
That's right! Kids belong in school... all the time.  Me and my friend came up with a rule for kids. They should be in school from 8am to 5pm. from 5 to 10 they should be working. then they can sleep.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 05:13:24 PM »
I'm for it.  So what if a few places say no kids?  For every one of those there are 150 other places to go eat.  Businesses have the rite to refuse service so how is this any different?  I vote yes.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 05:21:26 PM »
KevShmev watches 'Sex in the City?'

Read about this, no real complaints. No lawyers have started up a discriminatory lawsuit against them yet?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 05:23:57 PM »

I used to.  And why not?  It was a funny show!

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 05:38:23 PM »
I like this idea. A lot.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 05:40:42 PM »
Wouldn't mind having this done in my place,but alas, it won't happen.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 05:42:29 PM »
Sounds like a very nice idea, but obviously, the main drawback is that you lose the business of young families.
But, if you're a high class, fancy-dancy restaurant, this poses no significant damage.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 05:44:29 PM »
I like this idea. A lot.
This.

Not a problem for me, but if it does happen then make this law happen.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: Is there a way where nobody can be happy? I'd vote that
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 05:59:34 PM »

Read about this, no real complaints. No lawyers have started up a discriminatory lawsuit against them yet?

Kids aren't a protected group the same way seniors or minorities are.

Anyway, I'm torn on this. On the one hand, it makes children unhappy, which I'm all for, but on the other hand, people are going to be able to enjoy pleasant nights out without being tormented by crotch spawn, and the thought of that just gets my blood a-boilin'.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 06:22:44 PM »
I came into this thread expecting to find that DTF has officially had enough of Numbers.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 06:24:53 PM »
I fully approve of this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Is there a way where nobody can be happy? I'd vote that
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 06:30:11 PM »

Kids aren't a protected group the same way seniors or minorities are.

Anyway, I'm torn on this. On the one hand, it makes children unhappy, which I'm all for, but on the other hand, people are going to be able to enjoy pleasant nights out without being tormented by crotch spawn, and the thought of that just gets my blood a-boilin'.
Look at this as an opportunity to mimic the behavior of said crotch spawn. It'll be like the good ole days, and children will still be unhappy. Everyone wins.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 06:33:09 PM »

Isn't your place a hotel restaurant? A "no kids allowed" hotel would be pretty unreasona....actually, that would be the greatest hotel ever. No little shits running up and down the hall screaming. Petition your boss.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 06:38:08 PM »
As someone who has actually eaten at McDain's, I agree with the policy.  Even if I was a parent with a 6 or under kid I'd approve of this.  It's not super high end, but it's still a nicer than average establishment, even with the on-site driving range.  The kind of place you'd take your girlfriend/wife for a date, not family dinner.  They got a place for that in Pittsburgh - it's called Eat N' Park.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 06:47:29 PM »

Isn't your place a hotel restaurant? A "no kids allowed" hotel would be pretty unreasona....actually, that would be the greatest hotel ever. No little shits running up and down the hall screaming. Petition your boss.

I think the Bellagio in Las Vegas is 18 (or 21) and over only... that place sounds magical :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 01:43:15 AM »
I'm totally in favour of this. Constantly screaming kids in restaurants are the stuff of nightmares (only screaming kids on trains or planes are worse).
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 06:28:04 AM »
I have no problem with higher end restaurants doing this. There's no reason for kids to go there anyway.

If airlines institute this I will be pissed though. What would you do if you have kids, drive everywhere?

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 07:08:20 AM »
I have no problem with higher end restaurants doing this. There's no reason for kids to go there anyway.

If airlines institute this I will be pissed though. What would you do if you have kids, drive everywhere?

To a point I wish airlines would enforce some sort of rule ..the last 3 trips to Florida were terrible flights with screaming unruly children . The parents should be held responsible, if you can't train your children to act a certain way in public than you should be held responsible for their conduct. I had 2 kids probably about 6 and 8 fight the entire flight over who would get the window seat, while dad hid behind a newspaper and mom did nothing about it. When I asked the attendant to say something to the parents, she said its against regulations to impose the parents to control their brats
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 07:18:35 AM »
Wow... I'm pretty shocked at the seemingly universal support of this.  First, I see the point and basis behind the decision.  On the flip side, how is this anything other than age descrimination?  And I'm taking this to the extreme here, but I don't see it much different than any other kind of discrimination - sex, sexual orientation, race, religion etc...

I've also heard about some airlines maybe wanting to do something like this.  I think it's brilliant and long overdue.  They should think about doing this in movie theaters too.  People don't seem to realize that noise is a pollutant.  If people don't want 2nd hand smoke in their establishments, then it's perfectly logical that they don't want to hear screaming kids either.Your thoughts?

That's a helluva stretch.  2nd hand smoke is a health issue.  Screaming children doesn't make you go deaf or anything.

I like it.  Anyone who doesn't like it doesn't have to eat there.

You're right ... That would include the adults that don't want to be around children.  Look, if the owners really wanted to eliminate families/children, then create an environment and menu that discourages it.  End of story.  Chose who your target market is, and create an establishment that accomplishes that goal.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 07:42:17 AM »
If it's a restaurant then I think it's OK. They have the right to decide who goes in and who doesn't. As far as airlines, that doesn't work there. I get that kids might be annoying, but if someone has a kid that means they are not able to travel? And don't tell me they can always use a car because unless you have a Mach 5, going from Europe to US is quite impossible. I don't think there is a good solution for kids in a plane. Even if they're parents try to do something about it, they are kids and normally do whatever they feel like.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 07:50:21 AM »
Pssh it's been done:

Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 07:59:36 AM »
If it's a restaurant then I think it's OK. They have the right to decide who goes in and who doesn't.
Not true, they don't have a legal right to deny service for certain broad terms.  Denying service based on race or religion will get them in deep trouble.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2011, 08:07:42 AM »
If it's a restaurant then I think it's OK. They have the right to decide who goes in and who doesn't.
Not true, they don't have a legal right to deny service for certain broad terms.  Denying service based on race or religion will get them in deep trouble.

Where I live the restaurants can decide whether someone is allowed or not. I thought it worked the same in other places as well. Sorry for my ignorance.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2011, 08:14:46 AM »
If you're curious why we don't allow broad denial of service in the US look up Jim Crow laws or the civil rights movements from 50 years ago.

Now, that's not really the whole picture, since some things might be considered acceptable to deny broadly.  I'm just saying they don't have complete control over who they offer service.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 08:20:38 AM by yorost »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2011, 08:28:01 AM »
There's nothing illegal about being a jerk.  The restaurant owner is within his rights; pretty much end of story.

But I know if this rule were implemented in anyplace I frequent, unless it were really a high-end place where an adults-only rule made sense, I would put the restaurant on my ban list, whether I had the kids with me or not.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2011, 08:33:23 AM »
There's nothing illegal about being a jerk.  The restaurant owner is within his rights; pretty much end of story.
They aren't banning jerks. :p

I didn't say he wasn't within his legal rights since I really don't know.  I was just pointing out to Nekov that businesses don't really have complete control on who they can deny service.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2011, 08:35:52 AM »
I'm perfectly fine with this. If you want to put an age limit on your business, feel free. If people can't control their children, then rules will control the children for them.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2011, 08:40:09 AM »
There's nothing illegal about being a jerk.  The restaurant owner is within his rights; pretty much end of story.
They aren't banning jerks. :p

I didn't say he wasn't within his legal rights since I really don't know.  I was just pointing out to Nekov that businesses don't really have complete control on who they can deny service.

Bosk, being that you are a lawyer can you explain how this works? Unless Pokemon laws are different than ours  :P

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2011, 08:40:51 AM »
What do you mean?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2011, 08:41:23 AM »
not a big deal

and cant put it much better than this:
I'm perfectly fine with this. If you want to put an age limit on your business, feel free. If people can't control their children, then rules will control the children for them.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2011, 08:48:32 AM »
and cant put it much better than this:
This punishes parents that can control their,children though.