Author Topic: Cool/creepy/interesting discoveries on dt-songs?  (Read 11293 times)

Offline unspoken

Re: Cool/creepy/interesting discoveries on dt-songs?
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2011, 10:26:18 AM »
During the tom toms part at the beginning of OTBOA, you can actually hear MM's facial expression doing this

Offline GavinMangini89

• BEES!!!!!
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2011, 10:32:24 AM »
During the tom toms part at the beginning of OTBOA, you can actually hear MM's facial expression doing this

LAWL!!!!!!!!!

Also, 4:47-4:57 on Lie...am i the only one that hears faint vocals? F# i think is the note and it sounds layered with two, maybe three tracks.
Man seeks a good time, but he is not a hedonist! He seeks love, he just doesnt know where to look. He looks under the beds of whores and in the hot stem of a crack pipe. But he should look to nature; gentle aquatic mammals have all the answers!

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2011, 10:55:22 AM »
Hm, there are some very faint vocals, but what we hear is mostly the synth lead, I guess. Those vocals could be some synth effects as well.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2011, 10:57:51 AM »

Voices -> around 4:52 you can hear the main erotomania chromatic riff reprised with keyboards.

when i first noticed that a few months ago... i went nuts.... :metal
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Aniland

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2011, 11:15:52 AM »
If you use the Audacity vocal remover on Another Day, and then wait for the part right after "Surrender to the secret / Waaaaa-ohhh!", the solo starts. Listen to that solo with the vocal remover having been on, and you can hear LaBrie shrieking underneath Petrucci's wailing. Completely unhearable without doing this.
We talked about this before, and I'm pretty sure it was just the guitar.

I resigned in believing that for a moment too, but at 3:15 is the most striking. He sings ALONG with the guitar, but then as you listen, the guitar melody goes off and he stays on a note and then lets it go down. It's very audibly vocal.

Offline perfectchaos180

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2011, 11:22:07 AM »
This isn't usually mentioned, but Regression is one of the very few DT songs (I don't even know if there are any others) where the title doesn't appear anywhere in the lyrics.
Let's see...

-Under a Glass Moon
-Lie (unless you count the unheard lyrics)
-Regression
-The Great Debate
-Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (or, by movements, just About To Crash)
-Honor Thy Father
-Panic Attack
-In The Presence of Enemies
-The Ministry of Lost Souls

And then there's some iffy ones:
-Metropolis Pt. 1 (depending on how you read the title)
-Scarred ("scars")
-A Change of Seasons ("seasons changed")
-Prophets of War ("profiting from war")

And I don't know about the Majesty demos or b-sides.

Ytse Jam
Erotomania
Hell's Kitchen
Overture 1928
The Dance of Eternity
Overture
Stream of Consciousness

:angel:

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2011, 11:37:07 AM »

Ytse Jam
Erotomania
Hell's Kitchen
Overture 1928
The Dance of Eternity
Overture
Stream of Consciousness

:angel:

:facepalm:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Aniland

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2011, 12:05:05 PM »
YEHOTOS

What does it mean?

Offline olliemedsy

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2011, 02:46:17 PM »
Some weird/creepy/cool discoveries i've made while listening to DT songs lately:

2.Finally Free: In the end when Nicholas(?) is pouring a drink, you can here the theme from the song playing in the background for a moment.

What you think is happening is not what is actually happening. Read this for clarity:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_Pt._2:_Scenes_from_a_Memory#Scene_Nine
Umm... Yes it says that nicholas comes home and makes a drink - as i said... By the theme noise I didnt mean the tune played in the end until nicholas gets killed (its kinda obvious :P). But if you listen very closely you can hear the theme (which was played when nicholas drove home) for about 1.5 seconds exactly when nicholas pours the drink

yeah i hear it:P i noticed that before :)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2011, 03:09:05 PM »
I don't know what's correct. I googled 'lens soup' and it seemed okay.

Hehe.   ;)

Offline Lionheart1827

« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2011, 03:22:21 PM »
If you use the Audacity vocal remover on Another Day, and then wait for the part right after "Surrender to the secret / Waaaaa-ohhh!", the solo starts. Listen to that solo with the vocal remover having been on, and you can hear LaBrie shrieking underneath Petrucci's wailing. Completely unhearable without doing this.

I resigned in believing that for a moment too, but at 3:15 is the most striking. He sings ALONG with the guitar, but then as you listen, the guitar melody goes off and he stays on a note and then lets it go down. It's very audibly vocal.

I just did it in Sony Sound forge audio studio and at first I was hearing it but after checking out the solo on LTL as well, the sound you're most likely hearing is the delay from Petrucci's guitar. I'm not sure if Audacity has the Keep Vocal option, but sound forge does and if you listen to the solo with Keep Vocals, it takes out all of the delay from Petrucci's guitar and it sounds dry. If you take the vocals out though, you mostly hear the reverb/delay from Petrucci's guitar. I doubt that David Prater would've let Labries voice stay in there on accident, and if he wanted him to be heard, you probably wouldn't need a vocal erase tool to hear him.  :tup

Offline Amoniz

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2011, 03:23:49 PM »

Voices -> around 4:52 you can hear the main erotomania chromatic riff reprised with keyboards.

I just now noticed this. It's so quiet. That's nuts
Yeah, actually didn't noticed that until I changed my cheap headphones! :D

Offline weirdo

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2011, 03:38:41 PM »

I just now noticed this. It's so quiet. That's nuts
Wow me too.. Thats pretty cool :o

Offline dongringo

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2011, 08:17:01 PM »
Maybe I should buy a better quality headphones, cuz atm all I have is cheap crappy headphones that came with my Nokia

This

May I refer you to www.head-fi.org ? Disclaimer: Quality headphones, amps, dacs, etc. are highly addicting.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2011, 09:21:56 PM »
Well, The Mirror, especially the beginning of it, is quite creepy, the ending also. "Impossible riff" from A Fortune In Lies, when keyboards comes with church sound is one of the most orgasmic moments in music ever for me... ::)

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2011, 11:25:02 PM »
The organ at 4:15 in Space Dye... I just heard it for the first time (in a fucked up mood so I am listening to Space Dye for the first time in a while...)

it is really haunting

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline STEVETHEATER

• Seize the day...
  • Carpe Diem!
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2011, 12:02:52 AM »
The morse code (eat-my-ass-and-balls) at the end ITNOG. This was sooo funny that even James, JP and JM didn't 'bout a year later after the release of TOT. Only MP and Jordan knew.  :yarr

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2011, 01:48:01 AM »
Well, the idea surely was good...
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline weirdo

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2011, 01:51:58 AM »
The morse code (eat-my-ass-and-balls) at the end ITNOG. This was sooo funny that even James, JP and JM didn't 'bout a year later after the release of TOT. Only MP and Jordan knew.  :yarr
Morse code? What morse code?  ??? ???

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2011, 02:40:06 AM »

Man, this is great :hefdaddy
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2011, 04:58:40 AM »
The discovery that DT's music makes you look a little younger every 24 hours spent listening to it.

I have come to this conclusion by looking in the PYP thread and noticing that everyone looks pretty damn youthful.
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline STEVETHEATER

• Seize the day...
  • Carpe Diem!
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2011, 07:30:31 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Train_of_Thought_%28Dream_Theater_album%29

Between 5:51 and 6:07 of the song "In the Name of God", there was a hidden composition buried beneath the far louder sounds of the song itself which lay undiscovered for over a year and a half. The band did not tell anyone that a hidden "nugget" (as it became known amongst Dream Theater fans) was present in the song, and only when Mike Portnoy mentioned it in his Mike Portnoy: Live at Budokan Drum-Cam DVD over a year later did someone find it. The Mike Portnoy message board was rife with fans scouring the song looking for what it might be, until a fan going by the pseudonymous name "DarrylRevok" mentioned that from 05:51 to 06:07 there appeared to be morse code audible, which Nick Bogovich (user handle "Bogie") isolated and discovered that when translated to English, the phrase "eat my ass and balls" (a Mike Portnoy catchphrase) was the result.

Offline JimmyJava

• Swear my skin is inside out
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2011, 03:22:57 PM »

Between 5:51 and 6:07 of the song "In the Name of God", there was a hidden composition buried beneath the far louder sounds of the song itself which lay undiscovered for over a year and a half. The band did not tell anyone that a hidden "nugget" (as it became known amongst Dream Theater fans) was present in the song, and only when Mike Portnoy mentioned it in his Mike Portnoy: Live at Budokan Drum-Cam DVD over a year later did someone find it. The Mike Portnoy message board was rife with fans scouring the song looking for what it might be, until a fan going by the pseudonymous name "DarrylRevok" mentioned that from 05:51 to 06:07 there appeared to be morse code audible, which Nick Bogovich (user handle "Bogie") isolated and discovered that when translated to English, the phrase "eat my ass and balls" (a Mike Portnoy catchphrase) was the result.
That is like, seriously one of the coolest things ever. I love this band!

Offline weirdo

« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2011, 03:25:31 PM »

Oh.. Thats awesome :D thanks. Im still not sure if I can hear it. If it means the high kinda ticking noise (that lasted longer than 5.52-6.07) I've never thought its anything special... Otherwise I can once again blame my cheap low quality headphones.  ;)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2011, 03:30:37 PM »
YEHOTOS

What does it mean?
Ye Eat Hoes Of Thy Oat Seed?

Makes absolutely no sense I know..

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2011, 03:57:14 PM »
Some weird/creepy/cool discoveries i've made while listening to DT songs lately:

2.Finally Free: In the end when Nicholas(?) is pouring a drink, you can here the theme from the song playing in the background for a moment.

What you think is happening is not what is actually happening. Read this for clarity:

Umm... Yes it says that nicholas comes home and makes a drink - as i said... By the theme noise I didnt mean the tune played in the end until nicholas gets killed (its kinda obvious :P). But if you listen very closely you can hear the theme (which was played when nicholas drove home) for about 1.5 seconds exactly when nicholas pours the drink

The ending is jumping around in time. Nicholas drives home (with the theme playing), stops the car, walks to the house and opens the door. Now, rewind.... It is not Nicholas pouring the drink, it is the hypnotherapist/killer. The music you hear is playing from Nicholas's car as it pulls into the driveway. The hypnotherapist now turns on the record player and hides. Back to the present, and the gruesome end...

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2011, 04:40:27 PM »
Now THAT, is creepy.

Offline olliemedsy

« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2011, 04:50:26 PM »

The ending is jumping around in time. Nicholas drives home (with the theme playing), stops the car, walks to the house and opens the door. Now, rewind.... It is not Nicholas pouring the drink, it is the hypnotherapist/killer. The music you hear is playing from Nicholas's car as it pulls into the driveway. The hypnotherapist now turns on the record player and hides. Back to the present, and the gruesome end...

???

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »

Energythief, what you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read it. I award you no internets, and may Xenu have mercy on your soul.

Offline weirdo

« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2011, 05:06:27 PM »
Maybe I should buy a better quality headphones, cuz atm all I have is cheap crappy headphones that came with my Nokia

This

May I refer you to www.head-fi.org ? Disclaimer: Quality headphones, amps, dacs, etc. are highly addicting.
Ooh thanks. That might come useful. So far I've been reading some customer reviews from amazon.com.

Offline weirdo

« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2011, 05:20:27 PM »

wow.

I think it makes perfect sense. I've always wondered is it nicholas inside and the hypnotherapist coming trough the door or the other way around... Although wikipedia still says that it was nicholas pouring the drink

Offline weirdo

« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2011, 05:32:36 PM »

wow.

I think it makes perfect sense. I've always wondered is it nicholas inside and the hypnotherapist coming trough the door or the other way around... Although wikipedia still says that it was nicholas pouring the drink
Idk now that I listened the ending it seems very seamless (no time jumping)

Offline Ħ

« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2011, 05:58:16 PM »

Oh.. Thats awesome :D thanks. Im still not sure if I can hear it. If it means the high kinda ticking noise (that lasted longer than 5.52-6.07) I've never thought its anything special... Otherwise I can once again blame my cheap low quality headphones.  ;)
I used to think that too, but I think it's just the drum pattern on the cymbal or whatever it's called.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline GavinMangini89

• BEES!!!!!
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2011, 10:19:40 PM »

I like how in Schmedley Wilcox MP does this on the little chopper cymbal he has. One of the few performances from that DVD that i just love watching!! First tour that i saw DT so, it's a little sentimental.  :azn:
Man seeks a good time, but he is not a hedonist! He seeks love, he just doesnt know where to look. He looks under the beds of whores and in the hot stem of a crack pipe. But he should look to nature; gentle aquatic mammals have all the answers!

Offline olliemedsy

« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2011, 06:44:44 PM »

no, coz if you watch the M2000 DVD, you can see it is Nicholas inside the house

wow.