Author Topic: Cool/creepy/interesting discoveries on dt-songs?  (Read 11290 times)

Offline weirdo

Cool/creepy/interesting discoveries on dt-songs?
« on: July 11, 2011, 04:51:35 PM »
Some weird/creepy/cool discoveries i've made while listening to DT songs lately:

1.Misunderstood (9:05 - 9:10): A sexy (rather creepy imo) ahh gasp sound (Labrie?). Its so clear, idk how have I missed that :/....

2.Finally Free: In the end when Nicholas(?) is pouring a drink, you can here the theme from the song playing in the background for a moment.

3.Octavarium: Along with Labrie screaming, someone is whispering "trapped inside this octavarium" (Yeah I know, this isnt much of a discovery and its pretty clear, dont kill me ... it just kinda creeped me out (in a good way))

I've heard all those songs dozens of times, I really don't know how could I miss those things. Maybe I should buy a better quality headphones, cuz atm all I have is cheap crappy headphones that came with my Nokia ://

Anyway, nothing so special, I suppose you all knew these before. ^^   Any other cool discoveries?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: Cool/creepy/interesting discoveries on dt-songs?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 04:53:18 PM »
Yeah, that TCOT is about some bear going to Tuscany or something.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 04:55:30 PM »
That noise at the beginning of Home... You can hear it clearly at the beginning of the "Single Edit" and at the Scenes From New York concert... That noise creeps the hell out of me.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 05:14:26 PM »
That noise at the beginning of Home... You can hear it clearly at the beginning of the "Single Edit" and at the Scenes From New York concert... That noise creeps the hell out of me.
Now it creeps me out to, thank you.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 05:16:42 PM »
During the "trapped inside this octavarium" part you can hear the main theme being played on a synth lead.

Also, the background shrieks during the "justifying violence" verse in ITNOG.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline darkshot

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 05:54:28 PM »
During the "trapped inside this octavarium" part you can hear the main theme being played on a synth lead.

Yeah JLB's background shrieks in that song are really creepy but cool.  I know this one has been said a bunch of times but I love the Glory Glory Hallelujah part of In the Name of God, I never noticed it until recently and now I cant unhear it.  It gives the finale such a weird eerie vibe.

Offline Lionheart1827

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 06:28:10 PM »
I always thought the intro to Disappear was creepy. I would definitely not want to walk down a dark hall with that playing in the background. Yeesh.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 07:32:41 PM »
I always thought the intro to Disappear was creepy.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 08:00:55 PM »
If you use the Audacity vocal remover on Another Day, and then wait for the part right after "Surrender to the secret / Waaaaa-ohhh!", the solo starts. Listen to that solo with the vocal remover having been on, and you can hear LaBrie shrieking underneath Petrucci's wailing. Completely unhearable without doing this.

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 08:05:49 PM »
If you use the Audacity vocal remover on Another Day, and then wait for the part right after "Surrender to the secret / Waaaaa-ohhh!", the solo starts. Listen to that solo with the vocal remover having been on, and you can hear LaBrie shrieking underneath Petrucci's wailing. Completely unhearable without doing this.
I can't hear it... Are there any specific parameters I should be setting?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 09:02:09 PM »
This isn't usually mentioned, but Regression is one of the very few DT songs (I don't even know if there are any others) where the title doesn't appear anywhere in the lyrics.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 09:31:59 PM »
The Ministry of Lost Souls
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 09:38:11 PM »
Pull Me Under

:neverusethis:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 09:39:49 PM »
How about You Not Me?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 09:49:36 PM »
This isn't usually mentioned, but Regression is one of the very few DT songs (I don't even know if there are any others) where the title doesn't appear anywhere in the lyrics.
Let's see...

-Under a Glass Moon
-Lie (unless you count the unheard lyrics)
-Regression
-The Great Debate
-Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (or, by movements, just About To Crash)
-Honor Thy Father
-Panic Attack
-In The Presence of Enemies
-The Ministry of Lost Souls

And then there's some iffy ones:
-Metropolis Pt. 1 (depending on how you read the title)
-Scarred ("scars")
-A Change of Seasons ("seasons changed")
-Prophets of War ("profiting from war")

And I don't know about the Majesty demos or b-sides.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 10:00:50 PM »
-Under a Glass Moon

Shouldn't this one be iffy too? "Under Glass Moonlight".

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 10:04:37 PM »
The Great Debate - A lot of fucking things.

Top 10 song for me.  :lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 10:43:57 PM »
For the longest time in Octavarium I thought Labrie was singing "find a comfort circle." I literally just found out it's "come full circle." Which is embarrassing, because I knew the movement is titled Full Circle, but I never made the connection. :facepalm:
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 10:57:13 PM »
I can't hear it... Are there any specific parameters I should be setting?

I can hear it. It's faint as hell though. Sounds a lot like the original LtL demo solo with the doubled vocals.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline weirdo

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 11:13:43 PM »
For the longest time in Octavarium I thought Labrie was singing "find a comfort circle." I literally just found out it's "come full circle." Which is embarrassing, because I knew the movement is titled Full Circle, but I never made the connection. :facepalm:
:rollin

Offline Ħ

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 11:32:25 PM »
We talked about this before, and I'm pretty sure it was just the guitar.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 12:09:10 AM »

Yeah JLB's background shrieks in that song are really creepy but cool.  I know this one has been said a bunch of times but I love the Glory Glory Hallelujah part of In the Name of God, I never noticed it until recently and now I cant unhear it.  It gives the finale such a weird eerie vibe.

Yeah I was in bed listening to ITNOG on headphones when I discovered that Glory Glory Hallelujah part - I was like "holy pancreas!".
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 12:19:22 AM »
Some weird/creepy/cool discoveries i've made while listening to DT songs lately:

2.Finally Free: In the end when Nicholas(?) is pouring a drink, you can here the theme from the song playing in the background for a moment.

What you think is happening is not what is actually happening. Read this for clarity:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_Pt._2:_Scenes_from_a_Memory#Scene_Nine

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 01:30:36 AM »
Let's see...

-Under a Glass Moon
-Regression
-The Great Debate
-Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (or, by movements, just About To Crash)
-Honor Thy Father
-Panic Attack
-In The Presence of Enemies
-The Ministry of Lost Souls

And then there's some iffy ones:
-Metropolis Pt. 1 (depending on how you read the title)
-Scarred ("scars")
-A Change of Seasons ("seasons changed")
-Prophets of War ("profiting from war")

And I don't know about the Majesty demos or b-sides.

Oh snap.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 02:02:32 AM »

Well, you can hear them. They're on the left channel and very faint, but they are audible from the second chorus on: "I swear I tried!...lie...lie...lie...lie...lie".
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline novenpeter

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2011, 02:21:22 AM »
if you play the strange intro of dance of eternity backward , you can here something  :metal

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2011, 02:22:40 AM »
if you play the strange intro of dance of eternity backward , you can here something  :metal

The recipe for a really ripping lens soup?

Offline weirdo

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 02:35:36 AM »
Its a part from the end of metropolis1, right? or thats what i've heard

Offline weirdo

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2011, 03:05:53 AM »

What you think is happening is not what is actually happening. Read this for clarity:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_Pt._2:_Scenes_from_a_Memory#Scene_Nine
Umm... Yes it says that nicholas comes home and makes a drink - as i said... By the theme noise I didnt mean the tune played in the end until nicholas gets killed (its kinda obvious :P). But if you listen very closely you can hear the theme (which was played when nicholas drove home) for about 1.5 seconds exactly when nicholas pours the drink

Offline Mbarak

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 03:59:36 AM »
Those voices at the intro of Sacrificed Sons always creep me out

Offline jmplayer

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 04:38:45 AM »
New harmony with vocal reducer:

Pull me Under (chorus)
Another Day (chorus)

MP!!! (with vocal reducer):

Strange Deja Vu
Home
Forsaken

Falsetto Labrie (with vocal reducer)

Finally Free

Offline Amoniz

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2011, 05:42:47 AM »
The killing hand -> After the line "I laugh at what I've done" JP makes a laughing sound with his guitar :)

The ones who help to set the sun + A nightmare to remember -> According to JP on the WDADRU dvd (if you rememeber it right), TOWHTSTS is about a guy who's driving in the middle of the night and somehow slips into a flashforward of his own death in a car crash then comes back to reality, having a sort of a revelation... A nightmare to remember's subject matter is somehow similar to that - both songs begin with thunder soudn effects.

Voices -> around 4:52 you can hear the main erotomania chromatic riff reprised with keyboards.

Erotomania -> one of the cool things i like about DT is that they take different musical sections and shapeshift them therought different time signatures; after JP's final solo in Erotomania, there's heavy section which goes in bars of 4/4 and finally a bar of 3/4 , before reprising the main riff of the song - through the heavy section, the main riff is being played by Kevin's synth sound, only that it's being played in 19/16 (10/16+9/16) loops! And each time thge 4/4 bar starts, we hear the synth melody start off on a different melody. In other words, 4*(4/4) + 1*(3/4) = 64/16+12/16=76/16 ,  and 4*(19/16) = 76/16 ; that's why they end up matching

Octavarium -> After the "Full circle lyrics" (Find I've come full circle) The instrumental section begins, in a diminished scale movement -
Now you know the diminished scales have this loop (full circle) effect; that every 1.5 intervals they repeat each others - for example, E diminished (E-F#-G-A-A#-C-C#-D#-E) has the same set of melodies as G diminished (EG-A-A#-C-C#-D#-E-F#-G)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2011, 07:02:09 AM »

I wish that were true of TCoT. 

The recipe for a really ripping lens soup?

"Lens soup"?  Lentil soup, maybe?

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2011, 07:04:47 AM »
I don't know what's correct. I googled 'lens soup' and it seemed okay.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2011, 10:11:13 AM »

Voices -> around 4:52 you can hear the main erotomania chromatic riff reprised with keyboards.

I just now noticed this. It's so quiet. That's nuts