Author Topic: When the man (or woman) behind the music is disappointing  (Read 14882 times)

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: When the man (or woman) behind the music is disappointing
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2011, 04:16:58 AM »
Mike Portnoy, ass and balls, etc. etc.

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2011, 04:26:55 AM »
I'm usually able to get past the artists's obnoxiousness when listening to their music. I primarily listen to classical music and jazz. Because most of the great artists in those genres are/were pretty much arrogant assholes, I don't really have much of a choice.

There's Charles Mingus, who habitually knocked people's teeth out when they didn't agree with him and threw his band members off stage when they didn't play well enough. Keith Jarrett, whose bandmates wouldn't even talk to him for 10 years and who regularly stops halfway through concerts and insults the audience when people cough. Miles Davis, who said a lot of very nasty things about white people, and regularly abused women, which he was quite proud of.

There's Richard Wagner whose personality and anti-semitic ideas have often been compared with those of Adolf Hitler, Bruckner who was a necrophiliac, Lully who was a rampant pedophile who hated Italians (even though he was himself Italian), Brahms whose favourite pastime was to sit at in front of an open window and attempt to kill neighbourhood cats with a bow and arrow, the misanthropic and arrogant Beethoven who caused his nephew to commit suicide, Mozart who rather paid for booze than food for his family etc.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2011, 04:31:10 AM »
How could you have forgotten about kind old Buddy Rich?  You know, the one who's rants towards his bandmates linger on long after his death in the form of bootleg cassettes. 

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2011, 05:32:17 AM »
How could you have forgotten about kind old Buddy Rich?  You know, the one who's rants towards his bandmates linger on long after his death in the form of bootleg cassettes. 

Well, you could fill up this whole page with douchebaggish jazz musicians, so I had to leave a lot of them out. Mr. Rich definitely deserves a spot though.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2011, 05:33:20 AM »
I'm usually able to get past the artists's obnoxiousness when listening to their music. I primarily listen to classical music and jazz. Because most of the great artists in those genres are/were pretty much arrogant assholes, I don't really have much of a choice.

There's Charles Mingus, who habitually knocked people's teeth out when they didn't agree with him and threw his band members off stage when they didn't play well enough. Keith Jarrett, whose bandmates wouldn't even talk to him for 10 years and who regularly stops halfway through concerts and insults the audience when people cough. Miles Davis, who said a lot of very nasty things about white people, and regularly abused women, which he was quite proud of.

There's Richard Wagner whose personality and anti-semitic ideas have often been compared with those of Adolf Hitler, Bruckner who was a necrophiliac, Lully who was a rampant pedophile who hated Italians (even though he was himself Italian), Brahms whose favourite pastime was to sit at in front of an open window and attempt to kill neighbourhood cats with a bow and arrow, the misanthropic and arrogant Beethoven who caused his nephew to commit suicide, Mozart who rather paid for booze than food for his family etc.

By far the most interesting response so far. Amadeus is a great film, by the way. I'd ask you if you've seen it, but nearly everyone who really loves classical music has so I won't bother  ;D

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2011, 05:56:27 AM »

By far the most interesting response so far. Amadeus is a great film, by the way. I'd ask you if you've seen it, but nearly everyone who really loves classical music has so I won't bother  ;D

Yeah, I've seen it. It was pretty good, but there were some inaccuracies that could have been avoided. For example, in the movie Mozart says he doesn't like Händel's style, while Händel is one of his biggest influences. He is also asked to play a piece of Bach, but during the period in which Mozart lived Bach had been long forgotten. Mozart did know about Bach, but there's no way a random person at a party in the 1700s could know Bach.

I've also read that in the movie Mozart is depicted as a far more civilised and friendly person than he actually was, so that should give you an idea of what his personality was like.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2011, 07:08:10 AM »
I don't think anyone has really bothered me with the exception of Maynard. What makes it worse is his fans, I can deal with his rants but then having people explain to me why he is so deep drives me nuts.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2011, 07:25:05 AM »
Axl Rose, anyone??
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2011, 07:27:26 AM »
If I can listen to Megadeth, Pink Floyd, Dream Theater and even Tool or Pain of Salvation on occasion without letting the people behind the music get to me, I think I'm immune to any kind of annoying or douchebaggy artist trying to get in the way of enjoying my music.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2011, 07:33:12 AM »
If I can listen to Megadeth, Pink Floyd, Dream Theater and even Tool or Pain of Salvation on occasion without letting the people behind the music get to me, I think I'm immune to any kind of annoying or douchebaggy artist trying to get in the way of enjoying my music.

Yeah, I try not to let John Myung's pseudo-intellectual rants ruin my Dream Theater listening experience.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2011, 07:35:24 AM »
I was referring more to Mike Portnoy's behavior following his departure. 

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2011, 07:40:45 AM »

What Portnoy did/said wasn't that bad. A random 10 second clip from the Buddy Rich tapes contains worse insults to other musicians than Portnoy has made over the course of his entire career. It's not nearly as bad as the whole Roger Waters situation either.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2011, 07:48:15 AM »
Oh I agree.  I don't consider MP to be a douchebag or anything.  Its just the way he was acting that I found kind of annoying (kind of like Gildenlow, to be honest). 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2011, 07:56:33 AM »
I'm with sky.  Though something said like MP of Roger Waters bugs me, it doesn't stop me from listening to the music.

2 great examples is Steve Perry and Dennis DeYoung.  They have always been asses but it hasn't stopped me from listen to their music.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2011, 08:01:52 AM »

Well can you show some pseudo-intellectual rants by Myung then, cause I was just joking.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2011, 08:04:52 AM »
No one jokes on this forum Zook.  I came in to have a serious discussion.  Don't sully the intellectual integrity of this board by "joking."

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2011, 08:06:15 AM »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2011, 08:08:19 AM »
That looks an awful lot like a joke, ITNOR.  How dare you.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2011, 08:11:38 AM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2011, 08:27:30 AM »
Matt is right.  The joking belongs in this thread-----> Skydivingninja's Top 50 Albums v. Not this crap again!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2011, 09:09:33 AM »
Exactly!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2011, 11:17:56 AM »
John Lennon. 

I grew up from a very, very early age with my favorite song being "I am the Walrus," and with my youthful mind being what it was, I always imagined the guy behind it to be a walrus-looking character.  Then one day I saw an actual performance of them and realized that he did not actually resemble a walrus in any way.  Everything fell apart. 
:rollin :rollin

Daniel Gildenlow.

He is without a doubt my favorite singer/songwriter and in my opinion one of the greatest to have ever lived. However his personality since Scarsick or so just makes me want to punch him in the face. And he is constantly getting more and more and more self involved, it's disgusting. While I usually wouldn't let it bother me, it's leaking over into his music and that bothers me.

Can you give me some examples? I really haven't been following what's going on with him in the past few years but it makes me sad to hear this since he has always been so concerned about what is going on in the world, etc...

Yeah, I try not to let John Myung's pseudo-intellectual rants ruin my Dream Theater listening experience.

:neverusethis:

:tup :lol :tup

God I love Mingus.

Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2011, 11:23:41 AM »
I think the thing that really got me annoyed with Gildenlow was when Obama was elected.  He was like "We've decided to lift our embargo on the US," all because of President Obama, as if this were a monumental occasion, and letting that whole fingerprinting thing they were so angry about slide.  Wonder how they feel about him now?  :lol

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2011, 11:34:05 AM »
I grew up with the band Korn. In junior high, I got their Deuce DVD, which is basically a compilation of footage of the band members fucking around. I remember being shocked at how happy and goofy they were. After a few years of listening to their incredibly dark lyrics and music, seeing them cracking jokes and laughing for 2 hours really weirded me out. Their personalities did not match the music they played, and that bothered me. It made Korn seem...I dunno. Insincere. I was expecting them to be mopey, depressed goth guys. When that turned out to be the opposite of what they were really like, it did disappoint me a little.

I can understand what you're saying somewhat, but shouldn't you be happy when you see someone happy? I guess because half my family have bi-polar/depression, I never want to see someone else in that boat. Not a good way to go through life.

I didn't really mean it that way. Keep in mind that I was 12 or 13 years old, in junior high. I was going through that phase where I thought it was cool to be dark and mysterious. When my idols turned out to not be who I thought they were, it through me for a loop and made me question if it was cool to be "psuedo-goth." I was just an immature little kid. I got a lot of enjoyment out of the DVD after the shock wore off.

*imagines a 12-year-old goth version of Hank Hill*

:rollin :rollin
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2011, 11:35:41 AM »
"Life is nothing but propain."

« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2011, 12:34:40 PM »

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2011, 12:36:53 PM »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2011, 04:15:19 PM »
Gildenlow really annoyed me when Scarsick came out, and I took his principled stand against touring the United States to be more of a personal insult. But I've kinda gotten over it.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2011, 04:19:07 PM »
Gildenlow really annoyed me when Scarsick came out, and I took his principled stand against touring the United States to be more of a personal insult. But I've kinda gotten over it.

Try being a fan of German/Scandinavian power metal. 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2011, 04:21:49 PM »
Why's that?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2011, 04:31:43 PM »
Why's that?

Most of them rarely (if ever) come to my side of the pond. 

Offline dongringo

« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2011, 05:31:53 PM »
I grew up with the band Korn. In junior high, I got their Deuce DVD, which is basically a compilation of footage of the band members fucking around. I remember being shocked at how happy and goofy they were. After a few years of listening to their incredibly dark lyrics and music, seeing them cracking jokes and laughing for 2 hours really weirded me out. Their personalities did not match the music they played, and that bothered me. It made Korn seem...I dunno. Insincere. I was expecting them to be mopey, depressed goth guys. When that turned out to be the opposite of what they were really like, it did disappoint me a little.

I can understand what you're saying somewhat, but shouldn't you be happy when you see someone happy? I guess because half my family have bi-polar/depression, I never want to see someone else in that boat. Not a good way to go through life.

I didn't really mean it that way. Keep in mind that I was 12 or 13 years old, in junior high. I was going through that phase where I thought it was cool to be dark and mysterious. When my idols turned out to not be who I thought they were, it through me for a loop and made me question if it was cool to be "psuedo-goth." I was just an immature little kid. I got a lot of enjoyment out of the DVD after the shock wore off.

Makes more sense now. All good then.  :metal
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Kosmo

« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2011, 06:14:13 PM »
Timo Tolkki comes to mind. Sure he has his illness and all that shite but still the guy is a total and utter douche.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2011, 06:16:14 PM »
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2011, 06:19:07 PM »
Timo Tolkki comes to mind. Sure he has his illness and all that shite but still the guy is a total and utter douche.

I'd like to hear some more about him.  I LOVE horror stories of self-centered, egotistical power metal frontmen.   :biggrin: