Author Topic: Virus In Rina's Computer?  (Read 5720 times)

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
Virus In Rina's Computer?
« on: July 09, 2011, 07:58:55 PM »
I guess Rinas computer is saying that it has a virus in it, and she's scanned/removed it, but apparently it comes back or something. Her internet messes up also and she can't open new windows without it exiting the internet.

Any free virus scanners/removal software online that you would recommend?
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline TheMadgician

Re: Virus In Rina's Computer?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 08:04:58 PM »
Malware bytes. Spybot search and destroy.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 08:09:26 PM »
It originally said it was a Trojan virus...

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 08:11:40 PM »
It originally said it was a Trojan virus...

That is the definition of getting screwed when the virus protects itself.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 08:11:51 PM »
Malware bytes. Spybot search and destroy.

Good advice.

Offline jmplayer

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 08:32:19 PM »
Also, Avira Antivirus. Be sure to run it in safe mode and put the antivirus software on a flash drive to put on the computer so you can actually defeat this virus

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 08:40:24 PM »
I personally recommend AVG. But I use the full version, and I've heard the free isn't nearly as good. So take that as you will.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 08:43:27 PM »
I have the free version of AVG...I think I'll upgrade when I get my new computer.

Offline Tripp

• "Just because I OD'ed doesn't mean I do drugs"
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 10:38:29 PM »
I use a combo of Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE), both are free programs.

I've used a barrage of free Antiviruses, and have found MSE to be the most effective.
hi

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 10:45:19 PM »
I used search and destroy on my old computer and it did fucking wonders, you can't go wrong with it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 11:49:54 PM »
Unfortunately, pretty much everybody here is correct.  Each one of those recommended aps will probably find and remove something.  Nothing catches everything.  The mistake most people make is running one of those and then assuming they're fixed when it reports catching something.  If your problem recurs 3 weeks later, it wasn't fixed.

My current strategy is to run MB-AM and SAS, then my antivirus afterward.  Then my newest useful ap, UnHackMe.  It's complicated to run the first time, but once it's started it'll run at bootup and snag rootkits, which are generally the underlying problem.  When these thing crop up at the shop, I'll generally take 12 hours or so to run all of my scans and repairs.  Sucks. 

Frankly, the people who come up with this shit are #2 on the list of people who really make me re-think my anti-capital punishment stance. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 12:03:49 AM »
If possible, run the task manager (ctrl+alt+delete) and see if there's a process running that sounds strange or is a random jumble of letters and/or numbers. End it. If you can't open the task manager, restart the computer and if you get lucky, you can open it before whatever program or process might have a chance to load. Once you end the process from there, you can work at getting rid of it. That's how I beat my last one.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 12:27:54 AM »
Attempt a system restore. It doesn't always work, but it's worth a shot. That's the first thing I try, because in my experience it seems to have a 50/50 chance of solving the problem.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 06:18:51 AM »

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 07:57:33 AM »
Honestly? Format the PC. Its the only way to be certain the system is no longer compromised.

Attempt a system restore. It doesn't always work, but it's worth a shot. That's the first thing I try, because in my experience it seems to have a 50/50 chance of solving the problem.

System restore is one of the easiest and first things that are infected. You may have been lucky but generally most virus removal guides for specific trojans start with disabling system restore.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 08:58:31 AM »
I usually just attempt a restartion of the computer.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 09:34:25 AM »
Honestly? Format the PC. Its the only way to be certain the system is no longer compromised.

System restore is one of the easiest and first things that are infected. You may have been lucky but generally most virus removal guides for specific trojans start with disabling system restore.

Formatting is a bit extreme. I wouldn't recommend dropping the nuke unless there's no other alternative. Personally, I've been able to go from having a remote controlling trojan and some other viruses to being completely clean. All I used was Malwarebytes, Spybot, and AVG full.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2011, 09:15:56 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Rinas going to look through the processes, get MalwareBytes, and hopefully that should work (the system restore isnt working atm, so maybe the virus is hiding it or something).
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline dongringo

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2011, 10:29:40 PM »
If you can't open the task manager, restart the computer and if you get lucky, you can open it before whatever program or process might have a chance to load.

This is an excellent tip.

I also suggest looking at what Start Up programs are running in the background. Sometimes this gets infected too, but there's a way around that. Download Ccleaner from cnet.com and click on Tools then Startup and you will be able to see and disable any Startup programs that shouldn't be running. Most people are surprised to see what's running in the background that they had no idea about. While your at it, run the cleaner and scan and fix registry issues. This program won't find and rid your computer of a virus, but it's a great tool to diable unwanted startup items, delete unwanted programs, clean up your hard drive and registry. You can even wipe the free space of your hard drive clean.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 12:04:46 AM »
Using malwarebytes in safe mode usually does the trick for me.

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 12:25:20 AM »
When I fix machines that are heavily infested, I see if the machine will boot in safe mode. If it succeeds, chances are it is salvageble, and if not, its generally never worth the trouble of repairing every single dependency to make sure the computer will never run into problems in the future.

So, pop in safe mode, if it errors out then you have your solution.

If not, pop in safe mode and run a scanner to see if it can identify the type of infection. You can then research that infection to see if there are special tools or tricks to clean it out or if it a format is recommended.

But seriously, unless there is data you cant recreate, just save the time and wipe that bitch new.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 12:40:04 AM by Nigerius Rex »

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 05:47:14 AM »
Formatting is a bit extreme. I wouldn't recommend dropping the nuke unless there's no other alternative. Personally, I've been able to go from having a remote controlling trojan and some other viruses to being completely clean. All I used was Malwarebytes, Spybot, and AVG full.

Well put it this way, do you want to risk the integrity of your system on the assumption that your skills at removing viruses are better than the person who coded it's abilities to latch it into system files? Personally I wouldnt risk it for the sake of the day or two it takes to wipe the system.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 06:38:46 AM »
I use SuperAntiSpyware, than MSE, then restart and run SAS again. Usually it takes a couple of hours.

I don't have any performance issues, but SAS always detects the same shit over and over again. I do this whole process once a month or so, so I'm assuming that somewhere I frequently visit is giving me this stuff. I have a good idea where it's coming from, but I don't really care because it doesn't effect performance and no-one has stolen my credit card info yet.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 06:53:04 AM »
Where's tjanuranus?

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
Frankly, the people who come up with this shit are #2 on the list of people who really make me re-think my anti-capital punishment stance. 
what's the number one reason?

serial killers?
rapists?
pedophiles?
slow driving seniors?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 08:59:53 PM »
I'm guessing people who talk in the movies
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 09:00:59 PM »
shit, I forgot about them..

they are the worrrrrrrrst.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2011, 09:03:41 PM »
I personally recommend AVG. But I use the full version, and I've heard the free isn't nearly as good. So take that as you will.

I have the free one, and the free one works great.  I can't afford a paid antivirus right now.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline jmplayer

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2011, 02:05:25 AM »
If you can't open the task manager, restart the computer and if you get lucky, you can open it before whatever program or process might have a chance to load.

This is an excellent tip.

I also suggest looking at what Start Up programs are running in the background. Sometimes this gets infected too, but there's a way around that. Download Ccleaner from cnet.com and click on Tools then Startup and you will be able to see and disable any Startup programs that shouldn't be running. Most people are surprised to see what's running in the background that they had no idea about. While your at it, run the cleaner and scan and fix registry issues. This program won't find and rid your computer of a virus, but it's a great tool to diable unwanted startup items, delete unwanted programs, clean up your hard drive and registry. You can even wipe the free space of your hard drive clean.

You can also disable start-up via Start > Run > type in msconfig in Run > to disable services.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 02:42:47 AM »
Where's tjanuranus?

What now? lol!

I'm not into trolling about computers. I get trolled on sure but to troll? Nah. ;D

Now on facebook i'll troll about anything just to piss people off. Facebook is good for that but i like this forum lol.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 03:15:38 AM by tjanuranus »

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 04:48:24 AM »

Well put it this way, do you want to risk the integrity of your system on the assumption that your skills at removing viruses are better than the person who coded it's abilities to latch it into system files? Personally I wouldnt risk it for the sake of the day or two it takes to wipe the system.

This.
Stop going to stupid sites where you pick this crap up too.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2011, 12:14:57 PM »
I keep glancing at the topic title and reading it as something else. When you glance really quick "virus in rinas" looks like "vagina"

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2011, 01:32:45 PM »
I guess Rinas computer is saying that it has a virus in it

So......where else have you been putting your mouse Volk?  :biggrin:

Sorry...Couldn't resist!

To the point. I use a few, but the one I use most frequently is Vipre.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
I keep glancing at the topic title and reading it as something else. When you glance really quick "virus in rinas" looks like "vagina"

Or you can put it in the way that Computer also means Vagina. One or the other. That's how wrong my mind wants to read it every time I see this thread.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2011, 06:32:10 AM »
Where's tjanuranus?

What now? lol!

I'm not into trolling about computers. I get trolled on sure but to troll? Nah. ;D

Now on facebook i'll troll about anything just to piss people off. Facebook is good for that but i like this forum lol.
You know damn well what I mean. :lol

You and me go parallel, together and apart