Author Topic: Yes Live  (Read 3998 times)

Offline pmahoney1337

Yes Live
« on: July 08, 2011, 11:28:37 PM »
I just saw Yes live in CT, they absolutely blew my mind. Three of the original members aren't in the band anymore, but the new singer was spot on with every note. Howe and Squire were amazing as well, along with everyone else. Styx played as well. I'm not as in to them as I am Yes, but I will definitely be looking into them more now.

Anyone else seen Yes recently, or going to see them?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Yes Live
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 11:41:02 PM »
I'm going to see them in a little over two weeks.  I have heard a lot of not-so great things about Benoit David's live voice, and they definitely did some studio trickery with his voice on the new album, so my expectations are pretty low for him.  I am actually looking more forward to Styx, whom I think will be playing last at our show.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 11:45:54 PM »
I wasnt a huge fan of Yes live. They're very old, slow, and almost uninspired when they play live now. Benoit is very pitchy, and Oliver was horrible (although I dunno if he is still touring with them).

Was quite disappointed. Would have loved to see them back in 04 with JA and RW though!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 11:57:22 PM »
I wasnt a huge fan of Yes live. They're very old, slow, and almost uninspired when they play live now. Benoit is very pitchy, and Oliver was horrible (although I dunno if he is still touring with them).

Was quite disappointed. Would have loved to see them back in 04 with JA and RW though!

Yea they really dissapoint live. Was cool to see some of the classic songs live, but I don't plan on ever seeing them again.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 12:12:49 AM »
Geoff Downes is playing with them now instead of Oliver Wakeman, Zed, so they might be better.

I considered seeing them in Atlanta this summer but decided against it.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 12:18:24 AM »
I saw them on the last show of their previous tour and thought they were great. I've seen Benoit David live not only with Yes, but in his other band Mystery, and I think he sounded great at both shows. It's not Jon Anderson, but I think they did a great job in finding their replacement. I wanted to see them on July 5th but I've been super busy and the finances would have been tough.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 12:27:44 AM »
5 MORE DAYS

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 01:21:50 AM »
I saw them when DT toured with them....Jon Anderson put me to sleep with his storytelling between tunes... :lol  seriously...I was nodding off  :omg:

Offline jsem

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 01:43:44 AM »
I'm going to see them this December.. lol

Offline pmahoney1337

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 08:53:06 PM »
I'm surprised to see people didn't think Benoit's voice was very good, I thought he was amazing. The whole band was just very fun to watch.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 09:37:24 PM »
I opted to spend $10 ($12 if you count the 7-Up I had) and enjoyed Dave LaRue's fusion band Stretch from about 8 feet away instead.

Nothing against Yes or Styx (I'm sure Styx probably blows Yes out of the water live at this point anyway), but I've had it with Ticketbastard and Jive Nation (saving for very rare exceptions).

Online The Letter M

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 09:41:54 PM »
Three of the original members aren't in the band anymore, but the new singer was spot on with every note.

You mean four? The only one who is still in the band that was in the band from the beginning is Squire.

Either way, I'd really love to see Yes live. I've missed them a few times around my area, but I've been reading good things about the Yes/Styx tour!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 11:10:38 PM »
Three of the original members aren't in the band anymore, but the new singer was spot on with every note.

You mean four? The only one who is still in the band that was in the band from the beginning is Squire.

Either way, I'd really love to see Yes live. I've missed them a few times around my area, but I've been reading good things about the Yes/Styx tour!

-Marc.

Seriously?  Maybe about Styx, but 90% of the comments I have read about the current tour are that Yes sounds unprepared and just plain sloppy.  This is painful to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auaiCEojHFo

Online The Letter M

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 11:16:26 PM »

-Marc.

Seriously?  Maybe about Styx, but 90% of the comments I have read about the current tour are that Yes sounds unprepared and just plain sloppy.  This is painful to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auaiCEojHFo

Eh, could just be selective reading... :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 12:16:33 AM »
A couple weeks ago, I had to decide to see Yes or spend one last day/night with Casey before getting on the plane to go back to Hong Kong.

I definitely made the right choice.

Edit: Which was not going.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 12:27:12 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bp7uUFSTus&feature=related

Start watching around 1:30, and make sure you don't turn it off til 2:30 or so. My lord. I can't believe they told Jon Anderson to stay home to tour with this guy. They could have had this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL8-22bzrCM&feature=related
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 12:32:34 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 08:21:57 AM »
Wow, that is positively horrible (Benoit singing Owner...).  Jon Anderson's voice might not be what it used to be, but when he sings, it still sounds majestic.  It's sad what Squire and Howe are doing to the Yes name right now.  What's even sadder is I have tickets to see them in 12 days. :facepalm:  Fortunately, I've read that Styx is kicking ass this summer, so they'll at least give us our money's worth.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 08:40:38 AM »
Wow. I saw them last year and the only thing I can complain is Alan White's solo was kinda sloppy. The rest sounded fantastic and Benoit did a great job. I was very skeptic about not having Jon Anderson but all my prejudices were wiped out after 2 minutes.

Start watching around 1:30, and make sure you don't turn it off til 2:30 or so. My lord. I can't believe they told Jon Anderson to stay home to tour with this guy. They could have had this:

He really does sound terrible in that video but it's evident he was sick or something.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 09:03:28 AM »
That's what Nick said earlier but, honestly, from all I've heard about this guy's live shows from the past couple of years, he seems to get "sick" pretty damn often.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 10:06:42 AM »

Wow.  Sad.  That was painful to listen to.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 06:36:41 PM »
Benoit David has good and bad nights, but unfortunately seems to have more bad nights than a touring professional really should, and that's not cool.  On the Yesfans boards, there are die-hard Jon Anderson fans who have seen Yes recently just so they could legitimately bitch about BD, and came away impressed, having caught him on a good night.  Still, the number of reports of him stinking the place up is disappointing.  To be honest, I'm a bit confused by this.  He sang lead for a Yes tribute band for years, and that's how he got the gig, so he's not new to performing.  How can someone be great one night, then suck the next?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 01:16:28 AM »

Wow.  Sad.  That was painful to listen to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82pL711-zvY
My goodness. Start this video about 1:15 in, and listen to it all the way through. He makes the same exact mistakes and sings is just as poorly as he had 5 nights before, in the video you quoted.

I guess he's still "sick."

I have to stop watching these videos of Yes playing with him. Makes me angry about the whole Jon Anderson thing.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 02:47:26 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline pmahoney1337

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 02:36:43 AM »

-Marc.
I stand corrected, sorry. In the OP I was referring to Howe and Squire. Although not for Yes' entire career, Howe was with them for a good majority of it.

Offline pmahoney1337

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 02:42:41 AM »

Wow.  Sad.  That was painful to listen to.
Sorry for the double post. I agree, this is terrible, but for those of you going to see them, don't lose all hope because I promise you he was not like this when I went to see them. Must've been a good night  :-X

EDIT:
Styx were absolutely mind-blowing, here's a video of them at the the show I went to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llcJ49sghuw&feature=related. I couldn't find any good quality ones of Yes though.

Wow, that is positively horrible (Benoit singing Owner...).  Jon Anderson's voice might not be what it used to be, but when he sings, it still sounds majestic.  It's sad what Squire and Howe are doing to the Yes name right now.  What's even sadder is I have tickets to see them in 12 days. :facepalm:  Fortunately, I've read that Styx is kicking ass this summer, so they'll at least give us our money's worth.
I don't see why you would think you didn't get your money's worth even if Styx weren't kicking ass. You still get to see a great band that you love play live. Even if the show isn't perfect, who cares? All of the current members have been with Yes at some point except BD, so you're still seeing those legendary musicians. Assuming you payed 50-60$ for the ticket like I did, what's not to love?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 03:09:04 AM by pmahoney1337 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 03:05:58 PM »

Wow, that is positively horrible (Benoit singing Owner...).  Jon Anderson's voice might not be what it used to be, but when he sings, it still sounds majestic.  It's sad what Squire and Howe are doing to the Yes name right now.  What's even sadder is I have tickets to see them in 12 days. :facepalm:  Fortunately, I've read that Styx is kicking ass this summer, so they'll at least give us our money's worth.
I don't see why you would think you didn't get your money's worth even if Styx weren't kicking ass. You still get to see a great band that you love play live. Even if the show isn't perfect, who cares? All of the current members have been with Yes at some point except BD, so you're still seeing those legendary musicians. Assuming you payed 50-60$ for the ticket like I did, what's not to love?

I think Styx is the headliner at our show (I remember reading that somewhere), so with this little stroll down nostalgia lane, but with no Jon Anderson or Dennis DeYoung, I might have to actually drink at this concert (I normally never drink at concerts). :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 03:57:30 PM »

Ok...I just watched the first clip.

First time I've actually seen Benoit David in the band and you know what?

I don't think he's the problem.  Just based on that one small sample, the rest of the band kinda looks pretty passionless to me. Were there some vocal problems? Yes. But that wasn't the first thing that stood out for me.  Sure, I'd probably prefer Anderson, but if the rest of them are going to play like that, I don't think it really matters (at least to me).

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 04:46:31 PM »
Geoff Downes is playing with them now instead of Oliver Wakeman, Zed, so they might be better.

I saw them. It was a pretty great show despite all the cringe moments. Styx was phenomenal. Seeing them pretty much 180ed my opinion of the band.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 05:54:40 PM »
Styx has always put on a great live show.  I still prefer their work with Dennis DeYoung to their later stuff without, as he brought the proggy side, but he also wrote "Babe" and "Mr. Roboto" and a few other songs that make me want to smash my radio.  James Young and Tommy Shaw were always the rockers, and they have plenty of great songs between them, more than enough to put on a great show.

ytserush, I agree with you about Benoit not being the main problem with Yes.  Overall, they just sound really old and tired.  Most bands tend to play songs a little faster live than they did on the studio version, but Yes keeps slowing things down, and it just sucks the energy out of things.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2011, 08:07:55 PM »
Benoit isn't the main problem. But he's a big problem and, honestly, he's was a totally avoidable one since as far as I know Jon Anderson is still baffled to this day as to why he wasn't called by the band before they went in the studio.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2011, 08:27:43 PM »
I don't think Anderson sounded that good in the video... Benoit is just terrible.

I just wish Yes didnt suck live now. I'm listening to the new studio album now and I really like it, but I know they can't do it live. They are all just very sloppy now, I simply think they have all gotten too old for it. :(

But ~~ Controversial Opinion~~ I never thought Yes was that astounding live, even in their heyday. They were ok, but still nowhere near their studio equivalent albums.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2011, 08:39:25 PM »

I saw them. It was a pretty great show despite all the cringe moments. Styx was phenomenal. Seeing them pretty much 180ed my opinion of the band.

Scio, this Styx line up kick major butt.  Such energy and the harmonies at to die for.  I hope they do an album of new cuts.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online The Letter M

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2011, 09:42:19 PM »
But ~~ Controversial Opinion~~ I never thought Yes was that astounding live, even in their heyday. They were ok, but still nowhere near their studio equivalent albums.

I can see that, but I absolutely ADORE Yessongs, and while the extended versions of their The Yes Album tracks can drag on a bit, they really play well and I love that everyone (except Anderson and White) got extended solo time on the album. Easily one of my favorite live albums of all time!

-Marc.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2011, 10:19:50 PM »
Benoit isn't the main problem. But he's a big problem and, honestly, he's was a totally avoidable one since as far as I know Jon Anderson is still baffled to this day as to why he wasn't called by the band before they went in the studio.

Anderson is a very talented guy, but he's an asshole.  All the shit he did over the last ten years is pretty well documented, so I won't recap it here, but I invite you to do a little research.

I'll just say that if Jon Anderson is "baffled" as to why he wasn't called, then he has something in common with a certain progmetal drummer who is "baffled" why the band he quit wouldn't simply ice their plans and welcome him back with open arms.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2011, 10:21:36 PM »
Anderson is a very talented guy, but he's an asshole.  All the shit he did over the last ten years is pretty well documented, so I won't recap it here, but I invite you to do a little research.

As dumb as this sounds, I don't really have time to research internal Yes drama and am not going to any time soon. All I know is Anderson's disappointed he wasn't called up, and I'll take his word for it. I'm not expecting someone else to recap what's been going on for me or anything.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2011, 10:54:39 PM »
Oh, I believe that he's genuinely baffled as to why they didn't call him.  He really is that clueless.

He wanted a break after Magnification, so they took a break.  They called him in 2004, he agreed to meet with them, then blew them off.  They called him again a few years later, but he said he was too sick to work on a new album (though not too sick to go out and tour with one of his side projects).  Then he really did get sick, but said he still wanted to work on a new Yes album.  When they called him for the sessions which ultimately led to this new album and tour, he wasn't interested.  He was working on the Anderson/Wakeman album, but once that was done, and the tour, he was going to call them.  They'd heard that before.  He sold his share of the rights to the name Yes somewhere in there, declaring that Yes was done, finished, even though it wasn't his decision to make.

So after nearly 10 years of getting jerked around, Howe, Squire, and White (who own the name) got someone else to sing.  And Anderson is baffled as to why they would do this.