Author Topic: New Kansas Abortion Clinic Laws  (Read 1480 times)

Offline bss4life15

New Kansas Abortion Clinic Laws
« on: July 07, 2011, 11:23:48 PM »
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/29/law-threatens-kansas-abortion-clinics_n_887123.html

"A new law in Kansas that imposes strict requirements for abortion clinic facilities has made it nearly impossible for the state's three abortion providers to stay in operation. One clinic has already been denied a license, and the other two have not been able to meet the state's standards as of Tuesday, putting Kansas at risk of becoming the first state where a woman cannot get an abortion.

According to some of the new clinic requirements, an abortion facility in Kansas must be set to a temperature between 68 and 73 degrees, have a janitor's closet of at least 50 square feet and an operating room of 150 square feet, feature separate dressing rooms for staff and patients and have 13 different types of drugs on hand. A patient is now required to stay in the recovery room, which must have a temperature between 70 and 75 degrees, for at least two hours after her procedure, even if the procedure requires no anesthesia."

These were recently temporarily blocked by a judge, but they are probably going back up soon.  This is just rediculous.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: New Kansas Abortion Clinic Laws
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 11:29:05 PM »
I guess than can get away with this, but it's still really backwards and weird.  It's not the 1970's anymore.  Partial birth abortion is illegal, meaning I don't find this debate interesting anymore.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 08:15:23 AM »
I'm not sure why these criteria are so hard to meet, unless they were specifically crafted to apply to the three buildings specifically.  If that's the case, I'm thinking that a state's not allowed to pass laws with arbitrary conditions designed to target specific individuals.  For example, a law that say's people named Toby, who have red hair, and were born between February 4th and February 23rd aren't allowed to own toaster overs, wouldn't pass muster.  Picking three buildings and passing a law based solely on the conditions that they alone share doesn't seem like it'll fly.

That said,  this is an area where I expect personal opinions will always trump law when it comes to the courts. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 08:48:08 AM »
From what I've read, they're stupidly specific building requirements that went into effect a very short time before the deadline to renew their licenses comes into effect.  They can't exactly modify their building and stay in business on such short notice.  I think Planned Parenthood's clinic is the only one out of the four clinics in the state that's allowed to operate right now. 

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 08:50:25 AM »
Somewhat related question to relieve my ignorance: Why is it called Planned Parenthood if they give abortions?
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 09:04:27 AM »
Somewhat related question to relieve my ignorance: Why is it called Planned Parenthood if they give abortions?
Because they're primarily about planning and contraception.  That was why they were founded in the first place.  Recall Margaret Sanger?  We actually learned about her in school, but I'd bet that nowadays teaching about her would be a criminal act. 

Abortion services are a small component of their actual interest. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 09:07:59 AM »
Oh, alright. I never learned about Margaret Sanger, will look her up soon.

Also, if the laws shut down Planned Parenthood, will it just shut down their abortion wing, or the entire place? If it's the entire place then the state has succeeded in shooting themselves in the foot essentially.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 09:18:43 AM »
Oh, alright. I never learned about Margaret Sanger, will look her up soon.

Do so.  She was an interesting woman.  Among other things she was largely responsible for making it acceptable for women to actually get laid, rather than to just be a passive breeder for her husband,  and I certainly thank her for that. 
E.F. Benson

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
Because they're primarily about planning and contraception.  That was why they were founded in the first place.  Recall Margaret Sanger?  We actually learned about her in school, but I'd bet that nowadays teaching about her would be a criminal act. 

Abortion services are a small component of their actual interest. 

I learned about her!

Quad: It was just going to shut down their abortion clinic in the state.  I don't think they could shut down the whole thing.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 09:42:22 AM »
Pretty interesting stuff. Seemed like a cool person.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 02:33:48 PM »
The intent of this law is to clearly to make it impossible to get an abortion in Kansas, it reminds me a little of Jim Crow - technically legal laws that completely go against the spirit of a law, rendering that law pragmatically useless.