Author Topic: Any fellow gun enthusiasts?  (Read 4771 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Any fellow gun enthusiasts?
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2011, 09:11:59 AM »
Dude, that is completely ridiculous. There are a lot of reasons why Philadelphia has gun crimes and the rest of PA doesn't. Not enough people carrying is definitely NOT one of them!

Yea because liberals have destroyed the city, just like Detoilet and Chicago (two other cities with extremely high crime and strict gun laws). Business owners can't even defend themselves, it's sickening... have you seen all those recent "teen flash mob" stories? It's always in a "gun-free" zone.

What the fuck do flash mobs have to do with this?

As for guns, I have a bolt-action .22.  Not really the first choice for home defense or anything.  I enjoy target practice on occasion.  I've also used shotguns on moving targets and that was pretty fun.  I'm against full-auto and military-grade weapons being sold to civilians (like bazookas and such).  There's really little need for us to have them, and the harm that could be done in the hands of crazy people isn't worth it. 

Offline PraXis

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2011, 09:13:51 AM »
That's where common sense kicks in. There are nutjobs out there who would love to get their hands on an assault rifle and flash it around. These types of people rarely get FIDs because you have a mental health check in the licensing process (along with an extensive background check). If someone wants model ABC rifle to commit a violent crime, they're going to buy that weapon on the black market.

Law abiding citizens have the right to defend their property. PA finally signed the Castle Doctrine into law. :)

Have you (not just you, but anyone reading this) been in a place surrounded by people openly carrying?.. ie somewhere down south at a state fair or something... You'll never feel safer... it's a deterrent.

Btw, civilians cannot buy military-grade weapons in most states (unless they're ex-military or law enforcement)... in NJ we can't even have an AR-15 which is BS... but a few min over the border in PA I can legally have an AK-47.

Edit: Flash mobs have everything to do with the right to protect yourself. They have been attacking people in Chicago, Detroit, Philly, and NYC.. most recently in Philly they were disrupting restaurants and punching innocent people in the face... people are not going to let this by any longer.. hell imagine if someone tried that in downtown TX.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2011, 09:25:16 AM »
I think we must be using a different definition of flash mobs.  Flash mobs are when you organize a random public event with a bunch of people through social media, go to a public place, and do some kind of silly act and then leave.  Our school did one in downtown Greenville.  The picture at the top of the Wikipedia page is a pillow fight flash mob.  They're meant to be for fun or satire.  According to wikipedia, some turned violent in Philly, but those incidents are exceptions to the general rule and are more like riots than anything.

I haven't been surrounded by people openly carrying besides a shooting range, so I'm not sure how I'd feel.  I don't think I'd be comfortable in a room full of concealed carriers, though.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2011, 09:37:36 AM »
I lived in central florida for about a year and saw plenty of people walking around with pistols in holsters. it didn't make me feel safe, it made me feel like i was surrounded by fucking idiots.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2011, 09:49:08 AM »
I lived in central florida for about a year and saw plenty of people walking around with pistols in holsters. it didn't make me feel safe, it made me feel like i was surrounded by fucking idiots.
I had an acquaintance who moved out to New Mexico, seemingly an ideal place for a person of his nature, and he couldn't take more than a year of it.  While he was perfectly happy to own a gun for protection, he couldn't stand living in a place where you felt like you had to be armed at all times, lest you be the only sheep in an entire state of wolves.  An overlooked side of concealed/open carry is that it changes the culture to a huge extent.  If you want to be one alpha male in a state of 100% alpha types, then knock yourself out, but it honestly seems like a highly unpleasant state of mind. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2011, 09:53:34 AM »
I think it's interesting that when I go to Israel, a country where most citizens are walking around with machine guns, I feel completely safe. But in America, I don't want to think the citizens are carrying guns. I guess in the end, I just don't trust the American mentality.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2011, 09:59:11 AM »
I think it's interesting that when I go to Israel, a country where most citizens are walking around with machine guns, I feel completely safe. But in America, I don't want to think the citizens are carrying guns. I guess in the end, I just don't trust the American mentality.
That's quite interesting.  I can certainly understand the mentality.  It often seems to me that the people here who are most vocal about needing to be able to defend themselves are people who you kind of suspect want to find themselves in that situation.  Israelis probably feel like they're forced into it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2011, 10:01:10 AM »
That's an interesting way to look at it.  I don't really disagree.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2011, 10:05:12 AM »
Criminals will have guns anyway.  They are criminals, they don't respect the law.

I disagree. Many criminals have guns, but currently only the ones with very special connections have access to military-grade ones. And I'd bet even the most serious gangs are a lot less heavily armed then they would be if it were possible for people to purchase grenade launchers.
Well, ordinary citizens don't have access to those things, either.  When I was mentioning an arsenal, I just meant "a lot of guns."  They are all street legal.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tanatra

• Forum Spider
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2011, 10:27:52 AM »
https://www.wnd.com/?pageId=41196

The city I currently live in (Kennesaw, GA) enacted a mandatory gun ownership law for homeowners nearly 30 years ago, and after it was enacted, crime rates quickly plummeted, and they have been ridiculously low compared to neighboring cities ever since. Keep in mind that Kennesaw isn't located out in bumblefuck; it's only half an hour from downtown Atlanta and has experienced runaway population growth these past 30 years.

Washington, DC's gun ban was repealed in 2008 I think, yet I've never been able to find a single article regarding it impact on crime in that city. In all likelyhood, this means that that the gun ban was a massive failure and crime has been dropping steadily ever since, because who wants to read positive, uplifting news articles nowadays?

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2011, 10:53:57 AM »
In my experience there seems to be social aspects of gun culture that just turn me off to the whole thing.  Granted, I live in southern California so gun ownership isn't quite as commonplace here as it would be in more rural parts of the country, but I don't think I've ever met a gun enthusiast who hasn't made the always-classy joke about how they like to shoot "cans."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2011, 10:55:36 AM »
I don't think I've ever met a gun enthusiast who hasn't made the always-classy joke about how they like to shoot "cans."
Down here it's turtles.  Them's good shootin. 
E.F. Benson

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2011, 11:04:57 AM »
https://www.wnd.com/?pageId=41196

The city I currently live in (Kennesaw, GA) enacted a mandatory gun ownership law for homeowners nearly 30 years ago, and after it was enacted, crime rates quickly plummeted, and they have been ridiculously low compared to neighboring cities ever since. Keep in mind that Kennesaw isn't located out in bumblefuck; it's only half an hour from downtown Atlanta and has experienced runaway population growth these past 30 years.

Washington, DC's gun ban was repealed in 2008 I think, yet I've never been able to find a single article regarding it impact on crime in that city. In all likelyhood, this means that that the gun ban was a massive failure and crime has been dropping steadily ever since, because who wants to read positive, uplifting news articles nowadays?

I think there needs to be a better source.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Tanatra

• Forum Spider
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2011, 02:40:34 PM »
I think there needs to be a better source.

Pick one:

https://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1818862/posts

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-world/2010/10/16/gun-town-usa-in-kennesaw-georgia-it-is-compulsory-everyone-must-own-a-firearm-115875-22638851/

https://archive.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2001/3/27/223955.shtml

https://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/5c1b6a72-c5eb-11df-b53e-00144feab49a.html#axzz1RXytu97l

https://www.reuters.com/article/2007/04/18/us-usa-crime-shooting-town-idUSN1719257620070418

https://www.helium.com/items/1889792-kennesaw-georgia-gun-law

If you prefer hard numbers, here's the City Data page on Kennesaw (scroll down to crime rates)

https://www.city-data.com/city/Kennesaw-Georgia.html

And here are the data pages for the adjacent cities, which are all within 10 miles of the Kennesaw city limits:

https://www.city-data.com/city/Acworth-Georgia.html

https://www.city-data.com/city/Marietta-Georgia.html

https://www.city-data.com/city/Woodstock-Georgia.html

(There is crime data on the Woodstock page, but it isn't organized in a chart.)

Admittedly, the mandatory gun ownership law in Kennesaw isn't really enforced. Regardless, gun-control advocates are still unable to explain the consistently low crime over the decades, or why the surrounding areas have higher crime rates despite no significant differences in household income, race, property values, etc.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2011, 03:22:37 PM »
Over the years provided (1999 to 2005), there were four homicides in Kennesaw.  Over that time period, there were an average of about 25,000 people living there, meaning an overall homicide rate of ~2.3/100,000.

In comparison, there have been 97 homicides in Montreal over the last three years.  For a metropolis of 1.6 million people, with a large amount of urban poor and organized crime elements, that's a homicide rate of ~2.0/100,000.

I can't find actual stats for Kennesaw, so my very rough (the obvious problem is sample sizes; one murder in a year puts the town over the national average) analysis is admittedly lacking.  But I think that the homicide rate would be influenced more by other factors than gun ownsership.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2011, 03:40:12 PM »
Walking around with an M-16 because you can isn't an exercise of your rights, it's an abuse of them.

No.  Walking around with an M-16 because you can means you are a doofus who doesn't know what a real rifle is.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2011, 04:01:58 PM »
I think guns can be dangerous because they can make people try to act like a hero in situations where the safest course of action would be to do nothing. I'm talking about situations like bank robberies, where you could endanger the lives of those around you and yourself by trying to be the hero and use a gun to bring an end to the situation. There was that thing a while back where a man called 911 because a couple of black guys were breaking into his neighbours house, and he went outside and shot them both, an act which I find abhorrent.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2011, 04:07:07 PM »
The whole libertarian mantra about "being left alone" sure does make sense when you remember the guy next to you would legally be allowed to carry a sub machinegun around :D But, in all seriousness, I already answered that question. There is absolutely no need for that level of firepower to be available to the general public and, really, it's not a good idea for regular people to have access to more weaponry then law enforcement. Police have a tough enough time fighting criminals who have access to better weapons than their own departments. Why would you make it so every potential criminal did?

As much as I hate the police becoming more like military organizations, at some point they should be armed with real weapons.  The fact that cops had to break into gun stores to stop the North Hollywood shooters proves incompetence on the part of the people arming them.

And for what it's worth, I don't think it's a great idea for people to be able to carry machine guns in public.  It's the kind of thing that couldn't have been foreseen at the time, so given that I think the wise choice is to not allow it.  Single shot rifles though... eh... why not?  Other than "guns are scary," what's the reasoning behind it?

That example isn't really that great. Something like gun control would need to be done on a national level. Getting anything across state borders is generally a cake-walk.

Getting guns from Mexico is also easy.  And unless you just straight up ban rifles, converting them to full auto weapons is actually not very difficult.  It's what the North Hollywood shooters did.

I read a good article once on that shooting of the US Rep down in Arizona (or wherever it was) about a guy who happened to be carrying a concealed weapon. He pulled it out and ran to the scene and nearly shot a completely unarmed citizen who momentarily looked like a threat. Thankfully he came to his senses and decided not to shoot anyone.

That's one thing that should be made very clear.  If that guy hadn't have changed his mind, he would have been a murderer.  Not someone who made a bad mistake, a murderer.  I'd almost be okay with executing these people just for being stupid.  Rights come with responsibilities.

I'm very, very nervous about putting normal citizens, untrained in these types of situations, into a position that split second decisions could decide someone's life. It's only a matter of time until some gun nut shoots an innocent person thinking they're a terrorist or something if it hasn't happened already. Protecting your home and family is one thing. Bringing that weapon out on the street is another.

Not everything can be perfect.  And the fact that it's seemingly never happened is borderline miraculous, but fortunately it shows that people carrying guns can be a good thing for society.

If you're being mugged by a guy with a gun or being carjacked, you're infinitely safer just letting them take your stuff than trying to shoot them. Situations in which nuts are shooting random people at work or school are so incredibly rare (even though they happen a couple times a year) that it doesn't make sense to carry a weapon for this type of situation.

I'd tend to agree.  But it's more about instilling fear in criminals.  The last thing you want to do is rob a convenience store and get killed by someone who is carrying a gun and knows what he's doing.  Criminal activity is very much about minimizing risk as much as possible.  Even the possibility of someone having a gun creates major problems.

Anyway... just realized this was kind of off topic from the purpose of this thread. Enjoy your weapons those of you who do. I don't understand it, but as long as you don't come shooting at me it's not that big of a deal.

That's fair.

A few replies directed at Reapsta.

You initially refer to everybody having the right to defend themselves, including the right to form a militia, yet suggest that you're happy for them to own weapons with little or no use in practical self defense; going so far as to say you're fine with them owning highly inaccurate full-auto rifles.  

It's not just about self-defense, it's about defense against government.  If for some reason Obama said "This government is considering banning the Christian religion in this country," wouldn't you think the entire South would have the right to say "You can try that, but then we're all loading up in our pickup trucks and heading for the white house, and you won't be able to stop us without military intervention"?  It's essentially a matter of checks and balances.

School rampages are very infrequent.  Accidental school discharges occur much more regularly.  A statement from the Houston Independent School District said the kindergarten student brought the gun to school, but it fell to the ground around 10:22 a.m., injuring two of his classmates and the boy himself, Fox News reported.  This despite only outlaws having easy access to guns.  You're envisioning a solution that would pose a far, far greater risk than the problem itself (a problem I think you'd agree is severely overblown).  

Dude, holy god, we're talking about Kindergarteners now.  What does that have to do with licensed and responsible adults with weapons?

And even if we're talking about kids, there was a time when kids would bring shotguns and rifles to school for shooting club, and miraculously schools weren't bloodbaths.

On the topic of John McClainism,  people tend to react very poorly in shootout situations.  Cops, who are usually referred to during these sorts of discussions as trained professionals,  have an embarrassingly bad track record of hitting the bad guy and not bystanders.  That's why you see videos like the one a few threads down where they fire 140 rounds into a car, kill the bad guy and injure a half dozen others, including other cops.  For every sharp-eyed Bernard Goetz, you're going to have a whole lot more Barney Fifes.  

I already mentioned this in another post.  It's not about accuracy, it's about suppression.

Does this have to do with any quantifiable risk they create or the fact that you're afraid of people with guns?

I don't think this is completely unfair to say.  While I think the fear of crazy gun nuts is highly exaggerated, the gun culture here is definitely about bravado to a somewhat uncomfortable extent.  In Israel, everyone has to serve in the military and gun use is treated super seriously because of constant Palestinian threat.  If everyone in America had to serve two years of military duty, I'd probably be okay with everyone carrying Machine Guns here too.  I mean, why not?

but I don't think I've ever met a gun enthusiast who hasn't made the always-classy joke about how they like to shoot "cans."

I don't get it.  Whenever I talk to someone who likes to shoot cans, they're actually talking about cans.  (Which is gross by the way.  I can't stand the sight of uncooked corn bleeding out of a shot up tin can).

There was that thing a while back where a man called 911 because a couple of black guys were breaking into his neighbours house, and he went outside and shot them both, an act which I find abhorrent.

Dude, I hate to sound heartless, but this is exactly why I want people to own guns.  I'm not saying the guy handled it 100% correctly (Since I don't know the specifics of the situation), but I'm completely comfortable with the idea that if you break into someone's house you risk dying. (Although I do understand this requires judgement and carries risk with it.  For example, some idiot shooting you for opening the window to get into your own house).

EDIT:  Something I should have made more clear.  I'm thinking more about break-ins when the occupants are present.  If the occupants aren't present, it's entirely possible the criminals specifically didn't want to do harm to people and waited for the right moment.  While they're not great people, just shooting at them seems unnecessary.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 06:30:12 PM by ReaPsTA »
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2011, 04:21:47 PM »

but I don't think I've ever met a gun enthusiast who hasn't made the always-classy joke about how they like to shoot "cans."

I don't get it.  Whenever I talk to someone who likes to shoot cans, they're actually talking about cans.  (Which is gross by the way.  I can't stand the sight of uncooked corn bleeding out of a shot up tin can).

Eh, I was afraid I might have to explain that one.  It's a poor-taste racist joke.  Gun tough guy:  "I just use my gun to shoot cans.  Afri-cans, Mexi-cans, hehehe."  Me:  :facepalm:

I honestly can't think of a gun-toter I've met that hasn't said that. :lol (there's no smiley for nervous laughter)

And Reap, I've noticed that you've made a few references to people being anti-gun because they are afraid of guns and/or people with guns.  I would like to be the first to say that yes, I am afraid of guns and people with guns.  If I was hanging out with someone and they were like, "hey wanna check out all my guns?" I'd be like "I've got to go, dude."  If that makes me a wuss or whatever in anybody's book then I'm comfortable with that.  To quote Tyrion Lannister from Game of Thrones: "I like living!"

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2011, 04:28:58 PM »
Eh, I was afraid I might have to explain that one.  It's a poor-taste racist joke.  Gun tough guy:  "I just use my gun to shoot cans.  Afri-cans, Mexi-cans, hehehe."  Me:  :facepalm:

Hahaha.  Gotta love redneck humor some times.

And Reap, I've noticed that you've made a few references to people being anti-gun because they are afraid of guns and/or people with guns.  I would like to be the first to say that yes, I am afraid of guns and people with guns.  If I was hanging out with someone and they were like, "hey wanna check out all my guns?" I'd be like "I've got to go, dude."  If that makes me a wuss or whatever in anybody's book then I'm comfortable with that.  To quote Tyrion Lannister from Game of Thrones: "I like living!"

It's not about being a wuss.  Guns have been a normative part of my existence since I was a little kid, so I'm pretty comfortable around them.  I guess though the thing is being afraid of something doesn't mean it's really a problem.  Picking up paper freaks me out a bit still because I used to get a lot of paper cuts as a kid for some reason.  But I haven't had one in years, so I try not to avoid paper.  Same with the way 99% of people use guns.

Although I will say few things are scarier than an irrational person with a gun.  Holy god in Heaven.
Over and over again

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2011, 05:07:56 PM »

Does this have to do with any quantifiable risk they create or the fact that you're afraid of people with guns?

No, it just seems really grossly American (and i mean that in the worst possible way) to carry a fucking gun around in public like it's ever going to be of any use. what kind of wild fantasy do they have to have in their head to justify putting that holster on before they go out to shop?

Offline j

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2011, 05:10:43 PM »
I guess I'm fairly moderate when it comes to gun control, I tend to lean toward legal ownership with some regulation.  I do agree with a lot of what Reap has argued (other than the thing about guns in schools deterring school shootings).  I have a Glock 9 and an AR-15 personally, but of course the latter is just recreational.  I consider the pistol primarily a home self-defense weapon, as I've lived in some less-than-reputable areas of big cities over the past several years (and I still do).  I never carry it in public, and at this point I have absolutely no desire to, and I really don't see the need for anyone to do so.

Definitely agree with the people saying the stereotypes about gun owners aren't true.  I'm relatively new to the whole scene and I currently spend very little time or money on it, but even here in Texas the ranges aren't filled with toothless trigger-happy rednecks always looking to cap something or somebody.  That doesn't mean I'm comfortable with  just anybody owning a gun, but I'm also not comfortable with some people being able to drive cars, or reproduce, etc.  That's part of living in a free society.

And admittedly, my cynicism regarding cops and government probably contributes to my position to some degree as well.

-J

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2011, 05:12:25 PM »

No, it just seems really grossly American (and i mean that in the worst possible way) to carry a fucking gun around in public like it's ever going to be of any use. what kind of wild fantasy do they have to have in their head to justify putting that holster on before they go out to shop?

Convenience store robberies, grocery store robberies (especially at night), bank robberies, things that most people put a lot of energy into being afraid of and wouldn't consider wild fantasies.  And, every once and a while weird things happen, like holding up a restaurant.
Over and over again

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2011, 05:15:11 PM »
Hey reapsta, I'm gonna mostly agree with you again.

I think guns are only a problem when some people have a gun, and some people don't have guns. If no one had guns, and I do mean no one, it would be fine. At the same time, if everyone had guns, this would be a counter weight. If you knew every person you passed on the street probably had a gun on them, a sane person wouldn't be very likely to start shit up. And if there is someone insane out there, he can be stopped easier and more effectively. By standers may be hit, but compare that to the amount who would be intentionally killed by the shooter, and I'd bet it would be lower.

Plus, gun laws don't prevent criminals from getting guns, they'll just break the law to get a gun. Gun laws prevent people who aren't a threat with a gun to own one.

As for the kids? Shit happens. Sorry. Blame the parents for having the gun accessible to a young kid, and for properly educating and raising the kid. I'm more likely to die driving my car down the road than be shot by a gun, yet no out there wants to ban driving. We require people to have a car license to drive a car, to go through some sort of training. Why not have something similar in high school? I wouldn't say make it mandatory, let people opt out... but if you ever want to own a gun, you'd have to go through the proper education and training.

Now, I think there is some rational limit. It shouldn't be a free country to say, own a nuke, or large explosives. There should be specific licenses required to purchase different types of guns, just like there's different and specific licenses to drive certain kinds of motor vehicles.

If I had magical abilities, I'd prevent guns or gunpowder from existing at all. Unfortunately, that box was opened a long time ago, and the most ideal solutions are completely impracticable. The invention of gunpowder, or more specifically, the inventions of guns and modern weaponry, pretty much fucks us all.  

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2011, 05:16:45 PM »
Shooting is something I happen to be good at, and I like target practice, but I do not think that it is a god given right to own whatever weapon you want.

I understand the idea behind the second amendment. But in today's world it seems like the most outdated provision of the Bill of Rights behind quartering soldiers in private homes. We have the National Guard if we need to protect our city (think Hurricane Katrina). However, I do not believe that gun ownership should be outlawed, but I do believe that there MUST be restrictions on what you can and can't own.

for example: assault rifles. Why on Earth should we allow citizens to own weapons like this? All they tell me is that you're preparing for a war that will probably never come.

Handguns I'm iffy on. Self-defense is a good reason to own one, but the number of people of who that applies to is extremely low. (btw praxis, I live in Philadelphia. You really don't know what you're talking about where the city is concerned).

non-automatic rifles are okay. a lot of people in my area hunt, so I'm no stranger to rifle use. In delaware, however, only Bow-hunting is legal.

so yeah, that's what I think about the second amendment in a nutshell

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2011, 06:11:03 PM »

Convenience store robberies, grocery store robberies (especially at night), bank robberies, things that most people put a lot of energy into being afraid of and wouldn't consider wild fantasies.  And, every once and a while weird things happen, like holding up a restaurant.
Those never happen here because no one has a gun.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2011, 06:16:29 PM »

That makes no sense.  If I wanted to Rob a convenience store in the Netherlands I'd use a combination of brass knuckles, baseball bats, and knives.  And I'd probably get a couple other people in on it as well.  Lack of guns doesn't create crime.  A non-criminal culture creates crime.

And it doesn't hurt that you guys are too stoned to rob convenience stores.
Over and over again

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2011, 06:19:30 PM »
Reap, first you say:

I'll be PC just in case.

Then you quote me as if it were your own post and respond to yourself as seen in the second post here:

That example isn't really that great. Something like gun control would need to be done on a national level. Getting anything across state borders is generally a cake-walk.

You already got to fuse with Webster, don't get greedy!  >:(

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2011, 06:22:41 PM »
:lol  :tup

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2011, 06:24:18 PM »
:lol  :tup

I'm glad you took my cheap shot in good humor.

Reap, first you say:

I'll be PC just in case.

Then you quote me as if it were your own post and respond to yourself as seen in the second post here:

You already got to fuse with Webster, don't get greedy!  >:(

what is this i don't even

EDIT:  Oh, I see what you did there now.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 06:30:32 PM by ReaPsTA »
Over and over again

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2011, 07:52:08 AM »
That doesn't mean I'm comfortable with  just anybody owning a gun, but I'm also not comfortable with some people being able to drive cars, or reproduce, etc.  That's part of living in a free society.
Fucking THIS.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2011, 08:44:20 AM »
The difference between driving and owning a gun is that you actually have to be trained to drive a car before you can use it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
The difference between driving and owning a gun is that you actually have to be trained to drive a car before you can use it.
In fairness, it's more difficult to drive than to shoot a gun.

But to get a firearms concealed carry permit, you have to take classes and get licensed.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2011, 10:43:09 AM »
In fairness, it's more difficult to drive than to shoot a gun.

I don't know about that... both are pretty damn easy to actually accomplish. Driving well is hard, but so is shooting well.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2011, 10:47:37 AM »
The G23 is my pistol of choice. This guy on youtube has great videos on all kinds of firearms that thoroughly explains anything you'd want to know if interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4DEzXbBJws