Author Topic: Systematic Chaos getting better, Black Clouds getting worse  (Read 10778 times)

Offline ubit

Re: Systematic Chaos getting better, Black Clouds getting worse
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2011, 10:03:25 PM »
I don't care what anyone says or thinks, I honestly enjoy A Rite of Passage. I do not understand its bad reputation here.  I love the chorus especially, and the instrumental section.  The lyrics are cool too.  Do people just not like it because it is actually sort of "catchy"? 

Also, SC > BC&SL for me, as a whole.  I only really listen to the opener and closer of BC&SL, with an occasional AROP.
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." 
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline Ħ

« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2011, 10:34:17 PM »
I don't care what anyone says or thinks, I honestly enjoy A Rite of Passage. I do not understand its bad reputation here.  I love the chorus especially, and the instrumental section.  The lyrics are cool too.  Do people just not like it because it is actually sort of "catchy"? 

Also, SC > BC&SL for me, as a whole.  I only really listen to the opener and closer of BC&SL, with an occasional AROP.
Nah, if anything, most people agree that the chorus is epic, and the verses are passable.  It's the use of a single riff over 8 minutes, on top of a melody-lacking instrumental section that turn people away.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2011, 10:37:46 PM »
I still think A Rite Of Passage is an awesome song. But if we're comparing Black Clouds to Systematic Chaos, I still prefer Constant Motion and Forsaken over Rite of Passage.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline ubit

« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2011, 10:38:49 PM »

Nah, if anything, most people agree that the chorus is epic, and the verses are passable.  It's the use of a single riff over 8 minutes, on top of a melody-lacking instrumental section that turn people away.

Interesting - I guess a good guitar riff can be repeated without me caring, because I never thought about it as being repetitive.  I suppose that's because I enjoy it!  :-)

I always liked the instrumental section, despite the general lack of melody.  Oh well, to each his own!
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." 
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2011, 10:41:32 PM »
I think AROP is a cool song, very good chorus.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2011, 02:05:22 PM »
Speaking of SC, did anyone listen to the 5.1 Surround Sound version. I actually think it makes the album that much more rocking. It has a lot of double bass and actually when you listen to it on Surround Sound, JM cuts through and has some amazing lines.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2011, 02:24:58 PM »
BC&SL is still better.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2011, 03:24:16 PM »
Speaking of SC, did anyone listen to the 5.1 Surround Sound version. I actually think it makes the album that much more rocking. It has a lot of double bass and actually when you listen to it on Surround Sound, JM cuts through and has some amazing lines.
I listened to it once at my friend's place. I remember it being pretty damn awesome, but it's been so long... I really need to get my own surround sound system.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2011, 04:27:35 PM »
I listened to it once too. It was pretty good as usual. It pisses me of that it's gone and I can't find it anymore.

« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2011, 04:29:55 PM »
I listened to it once too. It was pretty good as usual. It pisses me of that it's gone and I can't find it anymore.
Buy a new one.

There are some minor scratches on my Scenes From A Memory CD, it plays just fine, but I'm thinking of buying another copy just to make sure I have a mint one.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2011, 05:06:39 PM »
I find BC to be rather weak in terms of DT standards, but a good album, nonetheless.  Meanwhile, I'd say that SC is a very fun album and among my favorite albums by any band to come out in the 00s.  In the grand scheme of things, though, I prefer Octovarium over either.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2011, 05:27:53 PM »
I would love to.  I did a long time ago, but my parents were home so I couldn't blast it or anything.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ubit

« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2011, 08:59:30 PM »

This makes SC go from great to incredible!  On a proper system, this is absolutely mindblowing!  I wish they did this on EVERY album!
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline gm5k

« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2011, 01:48:10 PM »
Agree with OP.  Systematic Chaos hasn't necessarily gotten better to me, but man has BC&SL gotten worse.  I LOVED it at first.  I remember when ANTR gave me chills from a DT song for the first time in many years...and I had that big "DT is back!!!" moment...   ;D

But yea that didn't last too long.  At it's best, BC&SL has DT all time great album potential.  However, there's just too much underwhelming/filler moments IMO...

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2011, 03:12:15 AM »

some one took mine out of the dvd player and misplaced it : /
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"