Author Topic: Head voice not falsetto  (Read 3733 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Head voice not falsetto
« on: July 07, 2011, 10:59:33 AM »
I hate it that when I sing, I get like "You're OK, but sing in your real voice and not your falsetto."  I AM SINGING IN MY HEAD VOICE AND IF YOU REALLY LISTENED YOU WOULD REALIZE THAT!!!  I'm still developing more power in my head voice... 

How many of you singers have this issue as well?
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Head voice not falsetto
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 11:16:24 AM »
Well, I think one problem is that most people, including a lot of singers, don't know or simply can't tell the difference between the two.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 11:17:43 AM »
Luckily I never sing in front of anyone, so I never have that problem.

But I used to have a singer that had a low voice, but could easily go into falsetto, and thought it was his natural range. We tried to explain the difference to him, but his ego kind of got in the way of it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 11:24:59 AM »
Well, I think one problem is that most people, including a lot of singers, don't know or simply can't tell the difference between the two.

Here's an easy way for me to show...

Me singing F# on Learning to Live = Head Voice
Me singing Habanera from Carmen = Falsetto

Offline jsem

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 11:32:58 AM »

Really? I applaud your range then.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 11:49:43 AM »
I'm not sure.  I took some voice lessons in college and my instructor would say that I'm singing in a head voice but I wouldn't know it.  When helping a friend with his jury one time by singing high tenor (alto) in a gospel quartet.  My voice instructor was one of the observers.  When I asked him what he thought about it he said nice things and called it my head voice.   :\

When I'm vocalizing with scales I can hear a switch happen right around the F or F# area (above middle C).  But the tone is basically the same.  Perhaps that is my switch to head voice.  As far as falsetto, it's strange but I can't sing falsetto very well.  It's never been a part of my vocal training.  I can only go a little higher in falsetto then my head voice.  I get depressed when I listen to "Take On Me" by A-Ha and can't sing the low notes and can't sing the falsetto notes.  But then again that guys voice is amazing.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline jsem

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 12:01:47 PM »
I can hit the G above the middle C w/o falsetto. I can hit the Bb5 with falsetto.

I sing terribly though... but it's fun to imitate King Diamond with that falsetto lmao

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 12:16:14 PM »

Video now please!  :)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 12:35:09 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlnEKdi9SOc&feature=channel_video_title

This is from 2 years ago, but I can sing it (the whole song, not just the F#) better now with a lot more control.  Being in a band has kind of helped me gain a lot of vocal confidence that has helped me to improve my head voice.  I'm still working on it, as well as vocal stamina.

Teaching where I taught last year totally made me take a step back since I was misusing my voice daily (because the kids were obnoxious, and because I had no administrative support, I felt I had to yell when I normally wouldn't.  It sucked).  Singing this summer in choir is helping me rejuvinate my vocal stamina, and singing in the band (different band, mainly same people) is helping me develop my head voice to where it is stronger.

I'm not sure.  I took some voice lessons in college and my instructor would say that I'm singing in a head voice but I wouldn't know it.  When helping a friend with his jury one time by singing high tenor (alto) in a gospel quartet.  My voice instructor was one of the observers.  When I asked him what he thought about it he said nice things and called it my head voice.   :\

When I'm vocalizing with scales I can hear a switch happen right around the F or F# area (above middle C).  But the tone is basically the same.  Perhaps that is my switch to head voice.  As far as falsetto, it's strange but I can't sing falsetto very well.  It's never been a part of my vocal training.  I can only go a little higher in falsetto then my head voice.  I get depressed when I listen to "Take On Me" by A-Ha and can't sing the low notes and can't sing the falsetto notes.  But then again that guys voice is amazing.

When my voice was changing, I sang through my change.  When it was developing I had a distinctive break, and throughout high school and college my voice teachers would help me develop my head voice to where it was almost indistinct.  My falsetto overlaps a lot of my head voice, but there is a recognizable change in tone color when I sing in my head voice and in my falsetto.  It feels different in my voice as well.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 12:58:56 PM »
I can hit the G above the middle C w/o falsetto. I can hit the Bb5 with falsetto.

I sing terribly though... but it's fun to imitate King Diamond with that falsetto lmao

Step 1: Record yourself imitating King Diamond
Step 2: Upload to Youtube, post link here
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit!
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 01:06:16 PM »
When my voice was changing, I sang through my change.  When it was developing I had a distinctive break, and throughout high school and college my voice teachers would help me develop my head voice to where it was almost indistinct.  My falsetto overlaps a lot of my head voice, but there is a recognizable change in tone color when I sing in my head voice and in my falsetto.  It feels different in my voice as well.

You know I sang the high tenor parts in a gospel quartet all through my change and into college and it really caused me to have a lot of problems with my voice until my early 20's.  Most of the time I strained too much.  In college I developed worse problems with my voice due to my constant trumpet playing in the marching band and basketball band.  I was playing 1st trumpet and always closing my throat to get the fastest airflow possible.  A lot of times I would catch myself grunting while playing.  I can't remember why I was doing it and I'm sure it was fundamentally wrong but I was doing it and it would really wipe my voice out.  I would often sound like Joe Cocker after homecoming weekends when I'd be playing a super C and higher 100 times.  It wasn't until I was your age that things settled down.  My voice is better now at 41 than it ever has been in my life because of all the singing I've been doing in the praise team at church.  The guys from Mercy Me, Newsboys, and Casting Crowns sing really high stuff sometimes.  However, I can't sing those really high notes in Learning to Live.  I ain't to proud to admit it.  :-\
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline jsem

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 01:19:11 PM »

Step 1: Record yourself imitating King Diamond
Step 2: Upload to Youtube, post link here
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit!
I sing terribly though
But maybe I will... lol. I'm more about the :jsem: though

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 01:27:55 PM »
I sing in my school chorus as a bass and in a band.  For the whole band thing, the other members always want to do songs where the vocals are really high and I simply can't do it right.  I can do the whole falsetto thing but it just ends up sounding silly and I begrudgingly take it down an octave, which subjects me to bitching from other members as in "you're not doing it right" or something of that nature, and it's always like "fuck you, dude, not every bass is going to be able to go Daniel Gildenlow and do the high parts with a natural lower voice" and the general resolve is that we just cut the song entirely.  I've tried the whole "mixed voice" thing and gotten absolutely nowhere with it (that is through youtube videos and the likes of which) so basically we're still shit out of luck whenever we want to do a song that calls on anything above a D4.  And I don't think I'm going to be making use of falsetto anytime soon unless we change our modus operandi completely and become a Tiny Tim cover band.   

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 06:06:29 PM »
I think it's because in both cases (falsetto and head voice), your voice takes on a different quality to it.  The timbre changes and your range is clearly extended.  In the case of a trained vocal musician not being able to tell the difference (such as judging an audition or performance) I would think it's mostly due to them not being familiar enough with your voices to know the difference.

To me, head voice usually sounds more powerful, like something on top has been opened up and that extra range can come through, full voice.  Falsetto sounds "weaker" to me.  There's no way it can be mistaken for full voice if you're familiar with the singer.  But I would also think that a trained vocal musician would also be able to tell pretty easily as well.

As for non-musicians, they just don't know the difference.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 06:16:51 PM »
I need to learn about this kind of thing more. It's probably very easy, but I've always just sang what is natural and I seem to do fine. I know I CAN hit the F# sometimes, but I feel I do need to train myself in what voice to use and then practice it.

Like, I didn't know to use the air in my stomach to sing until not even 2 years ago...and what a difference that made. It opened up my range from a very bassy tone to being able to sing really high.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 06:22:24 PM »

:|

No offense, but I'd take that video down if I were you.  Especially if your voice has gotten better. 

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 06:22:57 PM »
Indeed, it bugs me when singers themselves don't know the difference. Simple put, head voice has balls where as falsetto doesn't.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 08:24:44 PM »
To me, head voice usually sounds more powerful, like something on top has been opened up and that extra range can come through, full voice.  Falsetto sounds "weaker" to me.  There's no way it can be mistaken for full voice if you're familiar with the singer.  But I would also think that a trained vocal musician would also be able to tell pretty easily as well.

Isn't falsetto also harder to control, pitch-wise?
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 08:25:31 PM »
To me, head voice usually sounds more powerful, like something on top has been opened up and that extra range can come through, full voice.  Falsetto sounds "weaker" to me.  There's no way it can be mistaken for full voice if you're familiar with the singer.  But I would also think that a trained vocal musician would also be able to tell pretty easily as well.

Not for me, in my regular voice I have some pitch issues, when I do falsetto I'm almost always spot on.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 10:45:17 PM »

No offense, but I'd take that video down if I were you.  Especially if your voice has gotten better. 

I agree, i just watched it and it sucks.  I have an mp3 I recorded last year that sounds way better.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 06:36:16 PM »

Maybe for some, but I've never had real issues.  It might be a little harder to control, but I've always figured that was a byproduct of being up so high where it's gonna be harder to control anyway.  It just takes practice.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2011, 05:16:45 PM »
Bump.  SP, you should shoot an e-mail to Dr. Carberg from Millikin.  His disseration was on this topic.
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2011, 11:06:28 PM »

I agree, i just watched it and it sucks.  I have an mp3 I recorded last year that sounds way better.

Sweet.  Sorry if that sounded harsh.  I think your F# is pretty dang impressive though :)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2011, 11:35:26 PM »
Bump.  SP, you should shoot an e-mail to Dr. Carberg from Millikin.  His disseration was on this topic.

If Splent wasn't aware of this I'm going to lol...seeing it's his alma mater and all.