Author Topic: When the man (or woman) behind the music is disappointing  (Read 14875 times)

Offline WildeSilas

Re: When the man (or woman) behind the music is disappointing
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2011, 09:27:24 PM »
Sebastian Bach. No further comment necessary.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2011, 09:28:19 PM »
I don't really think about it, take Burzum for example :p

Although, it is nice to know members of my favourite bands (Iron Maiden, Dream Theater) are not complete psychos and all is well in their bands :)

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2011, 09:29:58 PM »
Sebastian Bach. No further comment necessary.

Which one?

:splodetard:

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2011, 09:35:57 PM »
Timo Tolkki comes to mind. Sure he has his illness and all that shite but still the guy is a total and utter douche.

I'd like to hear some more about him.  I LOVE horror stories of self-centered, egotistical power metal frontmen.   :biggrin:

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2011, 09:39:33 PM »
Timo Tolkki comes to mind. Sure he has his illness and all that shite but still the guy is a total and utter douche.

I'd like to hear some more about him.  I LOVE horror stories of self-centered, egotistical power metal frontmen.   :biggrin:

What the hell is this, and why?

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2011, 12:59:40 AM »

Ahhhhhhh, Timo Tolkki.  I remember that whole Popkiller fiasco with Miss K, a time when the banhammer flew freely across the official Stratovarius forum for saying anything that even remotely disagreed with the course Timo Tolkki had laid out for the band.  And then the forced reunion that followed and that bizarre self titled album..................   I think that whole period was one of the oddest chapters in the history of metal.  Oh well, at least TT seems to have found his muse again with Symfonia.

Kosmo

« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2011, 10:08:32 AM »
What the hell is this, and why?
Fake promo shots taken during the time when Timo Kotipelto (the singer) and Jörg Michael (the drummer) ''left'' the band and Tolkki hired a female vocalist and the drummer from Hammerfall who happens to be Jens Johansson's brother. This all was later revealed as a publicity stunt.

And then there was the time Tolkki supposedly got stabbed in Spain.  There were two photos where he had like bandages, looked fake as hell. Publicity stunt too.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2011, 12:02:59 PM »
That's pretty lame.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2011, 01:03:08 PM »
Daniel Gildenlow.

He is without a doubt my favorite singer/songwriter and in my opinion one of the greatest to have ever lived. However his personality since Scarsick or so just makes me want to punch him in the face. And he is constantly getting more and more and more self involved, it's disgusting. While I usually wouldn't let it bother me, it's leaking over into his music and that bothers me.
I agree that what he started doing on Scarsick was just annoying.  The lyrics in that album just felt like him being on a soapbox the entire time (parts of Be felt this way too though not as bad).  What really attracted me to PoS was the personal stories that they had in TPE and RL.  I knew he had those opinions back in the day but I don't want it pervading into the music.  And hey I even agree with a lot of the things he was saying on Scarsick, it just isn't what I want to hear when I listen to music.

The whole fingerprinting thing really pissed me off.  I understand taking a stand about something you believe in.  But to do so at the expense of your fans is really giving your fans the middle finger.  That's how it felt to me at any rate.  And that's really when my love of PoS and Gildenlow in particular began to wane.

In general I hate when artists give their rants in concerts.  Maynard didn't bring up any political crap the two times I've seen Tool fortunately.  But some of the live recordings of people like Zappa (particularly the '88 tour) were so annoying that I just wanted him to shut up and play some music.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2011, 01:07:34 PM »
In general I hate when artists give their rants in concerts.  Maynard didn't bring up any political crap the two times I've seen Tool fortunately.  But some of the live recordings of people like Zappa (particularly the '88 tour) were so annoying that I just wanted him to shut up and play some music.

I've heard that Zappa's '88 tour was uber-didactic.  Would you care to elaborate on the shit that went down there?