Author Topic: Rank the members (old and current) of DT by their non-DT work  (Read 3840 times)

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
Re: Rank the members (old and current) of DT by their non-DT work
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2011, 05:14:23 AM »
8. John Myung
7. Jordan Rudess
6. John Petrucci
5. Kevin Moore
4. Charlie Dominici
3. Mike Portnoy
2. Derek Sherinian
1. James Labrie

This is easily the best crafted list so far.
I might tinker with it slightly.......for example....as skydive left Derek off his list, I'd leave Kevin Moore off mine. Petrucci would be last. I agree with the top three. Excellent ranking wolf.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2011, 05:21:39 AM »
8. John Myung
7. Jordan Rudess
6. John Petrucci
5. Kevin Moore
4. Charlie Dominici
3. Mike Portnoy
2. Derek Sherinian
1. James Labrie

This is easily the best crafted list so far.
I might tinker with it slightly.......for example....as skydive left Derek off his list, I'd leave Kevin Moore off mine. Petrucci would be last. I agree with the top three. Excellent ranking wolf.

Thanks a lot Spider.  I think James solo material is by far the best side work of any DT member.  Derek is so overlooked it's not funny.  His solo albums and Planet X are amazing, James' material just scraped in when comaring to these bands.  BCC is excellent and his plays with Billy Idol which is cool in my book.  I think people just rate Petrucci higher just based on his status and overall skill, not the strength of his side projects.  Dominici's albums are very solid too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2011, 05:24:11 AM »
8. John Myung - The Jelly Jam and Platypus have some cool stuff, but all in all I could never listen to those albums again and I wouldn't be feeling too bad about it. Still, it is nice when John occasionally does something outside of DT as it is a rare occurrence.

7. Derek Sherinian - I have a ton of Planet X and solo Sherinian stuff, and however much I generally enjoy it I don't find myself reaching for it all that often, and the general lack of diversity through most of it doesn't help. I still need to check out Black Country Communion.

6. Kevin Moore - I *love* the first two OSI albums, but Blood was a bit of a letdown for me and I haven't really dug what other material from Kevin I've heard. While I doubt I'd enjoy much of his work more than the previous two people on the list, the simple fact is neither of them have come close to making albums I enjoy like OSI or Free.

5. Jordan Rudess - Although everything is signature Jordan, I enjoy the different approaches Jordan has taken on his last few solo outings. Notes on a Dream, The Road Home, and The Rhythm of Time were all very different and very good albums. I'm also a big fan of Listen, and because of it wish Jordan would provide the occasional vocal in DT.  And of course he has some fantastic work in the two LTE albums as well.

4. John Petrucci - Let me start by saying Suspended Animation is my favorite instrumental CD. I absolutely love his riffs on it and the very strong songwriting in general. I just wish it didn't take him what seems like 10 years to make a solo album. And as with Rudess, some amazing work in LTE.

3. Charlie Dominici - Simply put, Dominici's last two albums are two of the most overlooked gems in the progressive metal genre. I would not say either is perfect, and he isn't breaking any revolutionary ground, but they are fantastic progressive metal albums. Charlie's voice has improved since the WDaDU days (even though I loved him back then), and he surrounded himself with great musicians. As a kicker, the first acoustic album is also something I really enjoy.

2. James LaBrie - Not only has LaBrie's solo material been incredibly strong, but nearly everything this man has guested on in the last 10 years or so is pure fucking win. Ayreon's The Human Equation? Pure fucking win. Redemption's Snowfall on Judgment Day? Pure fucking win. Eden's Curse's Trinity? Pure fucking win. Roswell Six's Beyond the Horizon? Pure fucking win. And let's not forget strong appearances back in the day on records such as Tyranny and Unweaving the Rainbow. I still need to get Winter Rose, and can't wait to because I can only imagine it's good based on LaBrie's track record.

1. Mike Portnoy - It's simply hard to compete with a man who has done so much. For starters he is in Transatlantic, the only DT side-project I'd put in my top 10 favorite bands, and probably even in my top 5. Three amazing albums later it can do no wrong for me. I love his work with Neal Morse, I love his work on OSI and Free, I love his drumming in LTE, I love what I've seen of his tribute band work, and it keeps on going. He just constantly keeps himself involved in cool stuff, and no matter what band he's in he's usually very excited about it and it shows, especially if it comes to the stage.
I'm almost agree to this one. But I will put John Petrucci higher, in Charlie spot ;)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2011, 06:24:17 AM »
I'd also have to leave Mangini off my list.  Outside of EoP I haven't heard much of what he's done, but I wasn't really impressed with his drum solos on youtube (though the one he's been playing at DT shows recently is pretty good).

Offline Heaven Outcry Angel

• Your majesty
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2011, 06:43:14 AM »
1. Kevin Moore
2. Mike Portnoy
3. James LaBrie
4. Jordan Rudess
5. John Petrucci
6. John Myung

7. Derek Sherinian

8. Charlie Dominici
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2011, 07:13:27 AM »
1. James LaBrie (FUCKING AYREON.)
2. Mike Mangini (Too much too list!)
3. Jordan Rudess (<3)
4. Derek Sherinian (BCC, love BCC)
5. Mike Portnoy (Transatlantic and other...stuff)
6. John Petrucci (LTE!)
7. John Myung (Jelleh Jam)
8. Kevin Moore (Ambieeeence)
9. Charlie Dominici (...I'm not quite sure.)
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2011, 07:16:09 AM »
I'm not gonna rank, but just give general thoughts on each.

John Petrucci: As the main writer of DT, it's not surprise that JP doesn't have a lot going on outside that. Still, he's 3 for 3. Both LTE albums and his solo album are terrific.

Jordan Rudess: Same as Petrucci, really, with a bit more output and a bit less consistency. I'm a big fan of LTE and his improve piano albums (Notes..., 4NYC, Christmas Sky, etc) but not so much his more prog-rock oriented ones-- though his cover album was really good. I also can't overlook his awesome work with Steve Wilson and his really innovative work in the world of keyboards in general. He seems to be like a technology pioneer of sorts.

James LaBrie: His solo albums are about on par with what I expect from solo albums, which isn't very much. But he's also got guest spots galore, and more of those are very good. Roswell Six is the only glaring weak-spot I can think of. Then again, outside of The Human Equation, nothing sticks out particularly clearly.

Mike Mangini: Not a fan of his outside work at all, really. He seems only now to finally be stepping out of his role of "session guy." Honestly, I think ADToE might be the first album he ever really "tried" on, but I'm not sure.

Mike Portnoy: Definitely has quantity going for him, but I'm oversaturated. There will always be a soft-space for Transatlantic, LTE, Neal Morse, etc, but lately Portnoy's trade-mark fills have become boring for me. Whereas I once considered everything he drummed on gold, his drumming has more of a sterilizing "been there, done that"  effect on me now. Not into his cover-bands. Also, Hail! and Avenged Sevenfold were massive misfires on his part, and I fear Adrenaline Mob will be as well. He's the homerun hitter, I guess. He's hit more homers than all the guys combined-- but his batting average sure does stink!

Kevin Moore: Good work throughout FW's career, and Chroma Key is pretty good. Not a fan of OSI or his recent soundtrack stufff, though.

Charlie Dominici: Terrible music for people who think you can't get too much of a good thing ;) ;) ;) or, in this case, a bad one :P.

Okay, maybe I'm being harsh on the Dominator. But still, just not into that at all  :biggrin: