Author Topic: DT Bootleg status now that MP is gone  (Read 5611 times)

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
DT Bootleg status now that MP is gone
« on: July 06, 2011, 12:19:29 AM »
I don't really follow bootlegs that much, but I know some of the other members weren't thrilled about bootlegs being traded, but since MP was a trader he to a degree encouraged it.  I normally only look for bootlegs of shows I've been too, but in light of the new drummer I've looked on DaD for the recent shows and haven't found them.  Has the policy changed, have just these first shows been blacklisted, or has no one bothered to record them?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: DT Bootleg status now that MP is gone
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
Someone did bother to record them, and they are on their way to the surface  ::)

But seriously, did you expect to find a full edited bootleg the day after the show had taken place?  :biggrin:

As for the status, with MP gone there is indeed no one with a clear and positive attitude towards bootleg recording. However, JP, who is now in charge, made clear that the idea of shows being recorded and traded by fans, but he was just concerned at the idea of people coming to the show and only paying attention to their recording gear, and not to the show itsefl.
Anyway, as of 2011, no further indication has been given about the matter, so I assume they don't really care whether their show are recorded or not. And this is good  ;)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 07:31:40 AM »
But seriously, did you expect to find a full edited bootleg the day after the show had taken place?  :biggrin:

You joke, but some people seriously get upset about this nowadays.

No one in the band has come out against this since MP left and so the general policy remains unchanged for now.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 08:42:44 AM »

I'm not a taper, so I have no idea what goes into beyond hitting record and uploading it.  Like I said, I normally only collect boots of shows I attend, and I've seen a good quality boot go up less than 12 hours after a show, so I asked.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 10:19:49 AM »

I'm not a taper, so I have no idea what goes into beyond hitting record and uploading it.  Like I said, I normally only collect boots of shows I attend, and I've seen a good quality boot go up less than 12 hours after a show, so I asked.

It's ok, sorry if that sounded a bit harsh, it was not meant.  :)
- Marco

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 08:38:57 AM »
In my case, when I tape a show I have my rig setup that I hit record when I walk into the venue and forget about it until I walk out. I enjoy the show just like everyone else. I just can't headbang  :P
As far as mastering the show, it's usually 2 to 3 days. Many times I'll wait quite a while to release it. I have some shows that still aren't out there yet.
As far as the DT taping policy, MP had no issue with it. JP is not all that happy about it. But he does realize the fanbase is big on it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 04:19:31 PM »
Bob, my one wish is that you can some day build a time machine and go back in time to recover that one lost show you told me about.  I know Mike must have it in the vaults since he released Mother, Father, but that doesn't mean his version will ever see the light of day, unfortunately.  :(
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 04:25:01 PM »
Bob, my one wish is that you can some day build a time machine and go back in time to recover that one lost show you told me about.  I know Mike must have it in the vaults since he released Mother, Father, but that doesn't mean his version will ever see the light of day, unfortunately.  :(

Which show are you talking about? Just being curious...
- Marco

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 04:30:30 PM »
I'm sure I could get, but I wouldn't be able to share it  ::)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 04:38:39 PM »

3/5/2004 San Francisco, CA

https://thecrimsonsunrise.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=train&action=display&thread=90

Good set list.  Could have been better, as I believe we were supposed to get A Change Of Seasons but for technical difficulties that caused the show to start 20+ minutes late. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 06:53:20 PM »

3/5/2004 San Francisco, CA

https://thecrimsonsunrise.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=train&action=display&thread=90

Good set list.  Could have been better, as I believe we were supposed to get A Change Of Seasons but for technical difficulties that caused the show to start 20+ minutes late. 
Bummer I would have taken ACOS over the INTRO tape or CIAW/Drum solo

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 07:14:13 PM »
CIAW/Drum solo

Um...I think you're looking at the Seattle show.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 10:00:39 AM »
In my case, when I tape a show I have my rig setup that I hit record when I walk into the venue and forget about it until I walk out. I enjoy the show just like everyone else. I just can't headbang  :P
As far as mastering the show, it's usually 2 to 3 days. Many times I'll wait quite a while to release it. I have some shows that still aren't out there yet.
As far as the DT taping policy, MP had no issue with it. JP is not all that happy about it. But he does realize the fanbase is big on it.

A little off topic here but how much equipment do you usually go in with to get a decent bootleg?

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 11:25:24 AM »

A little off topic here but how much equipment do you usually go in with to get a decent bootleg?
Edirol R-09 (size of a pack of smokes)
mics (size of a dime)
pre-amp (size of a lighter)
The results are usually better than decent

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 10:47:05 AM »
Mangini has bootleg video of his DT performances on his official site, so I doubt he cares too much.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 11:39:10 AM »
I've never been a bootleg guy, as I'm not really into live performances, however I was going through my DT holdings and came accross the ONE and only boot I have. Don't remember who or where I got it from, but it has art and everything, 3 disc. Though I only have it in digital format.

here is the info from the accompanying txt. file.

Bands: Fates Warning, Queensryche, Dream Theater
Venue: Universal Amphitheater
Date:2003-07-24

Artwork Included

Track listing:
Disc 1: (Fates Warning) running time 32:15
01 One
02 APSoG III
03 Pieces Of Me
04 Life In Still Water
05 Shutdown
06 Monument

Disc 2: (Queensryche) running time 72:20 min
01 Open
02 NM156
03 Screaming In Digital
04 I am I
05 Damaged
06 Empire
07 Right Side Of My Mind
08 Jet City Woman
09 Silent Licidity
10 I Remember Now-Anarchy-X
11 Revolution Calling
12 Speak
13 Eyes Of A Stranger - Anarchy-X
14 Walk In The Shadows
15 Best I Can

Disc 3: (Dream Theater) Running time 70:37 mins
01 Metropolis part 1
02 Overture 1928
03 Strange Deja Vu
04 Only A Matter Of Time
05 Misunderstood
06 Another Day
07 Erotomania
08 Voices
09 The Silent Man
10 Diary Of A Madman
11 Pull Me Under

Disc 4 Encore: Queensryche+Dream Theater. Running time 21:14 min
01 Comfortably Numb
02 Peruvian Skies
03 Take Hold Of The Flame

Disc 4 is listed in the artwork as part of Disc 3, but as audio-discs that would NEVER fit.
You could add the tracks to Disc 1 if you wanted to...

Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.